Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

arubamuuu wrote: »
    I'm feeling the same tbh.

This is my 3rd time applying for milkrounds and still nothing (1st time applying after actually having passed some FE1s). I was so hopeful this round because I have a year of legal work experience and a 1.1 degree but seems not. I’m still waiting to hear from a few firms so I’m trying to stay hopeful.

Jeez a 1:1 and still nothing, I take it that’s from one of the main universities too, it’s so competitive, what frustrates me is that there’s a few people I know who have Tc with big firms and there not even that intelligent. I am sick of rejection at this stage.

Mod
    Be nice and polite here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

channing90 wrote: »
    Jeez a 1:1 and still nothing, I take it that’s from one of the main universities too, it’s so competitive, what frustrates me is that there’s a few people I know who have Tc with big firms and there not even that intelligent. I am sick of rejection at this stage.

What a nasty thing to say. Hilarious how you misspelt they're* while trying to insult others for not being intelligent enough.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    What a nasty thing to say. Hilarious how you misspelt they're* while trying to insult others for not being intelligent enough.

If you are getting insulted by that comment, best of luck in life. It was a quick observation I made. It is also something I have heard from a number of people working in big firms, not everyone taken on is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

arubamuuu wrote: »
    I'm feeling the same tbh.

This is my 3rd time applying for milkrounds and still nothing (1st time applying after actually having passed some FE1s). I was so hopeful this round because I have a year of legal work experience and a 1.1 degree but seems not. I’m still waiting to hear from a few firms so I’m trying to stay hopeful.

Fingers crossed you hear back.

If you don't, keep applying you will get something, especially now since you have some more fe1s. Just apply to all the firms even the smaller ones. I wouldn't rely just on milk rounds apply year round to paralegal roles etc, that's usually a good way to get into a firm. I think there is a top 50 directory of firms somewhere online, email the hr department even if they are not looking it's worth a try. Fair play to you for getting such good results it will pay off eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Just a heads up for anyone who is waiting for results to know whether they can begin the Hybrid PPC1 this December, I was told yesterday by someone in the trainee section of the Law Society to make my application “sooner rather than later” and in the relevant section of the application just say you are awaiting results for this sitting

Just for anyone who didn’t know we could apply before results are out (like me)

Did they give a provisional date for results for people hoping to start in December?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Did they give a provisional date for results for people hoping to start in December?

No - I don't think they have yet but they're cutting it fine with PPC1 hybrid induction starting dec 16th though I suppose one could miss induction day but I doubt they're marking exam papers over Christmas!

I meant to say to the person who is looking for legal work, try in-house! I am doing my TC in house! Btw I don't work in Coca Cola! Can't remember if I shared this before!

https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/in-depth/in-house-training/

I got in doing non-legal work and then near constant bugging for a transfer (I transferred internally 4 times - the final move was to the section where I am apprenticing). I admit that I really wanted to train in-house but even if you don't it gets you that "corporate awareness" working in an in-house legal team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

what frustrates me is that there’s a few people I know who have Tc with big firms and there not even that intelligent. I am sick of rejection at this stage.

They’re*

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

Fe7 wrote: »
    They’re*

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 30 loosehead1973

Hi
    Can anyone explain the Hybrid PPC to me please. What I know is you start PPC1 in December and stay working wherever you are working. What happens then after PPC1, do you have to leave that employment and start your indentured contract and then do PPC2 as normal 7/8 months later or what happens.
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Regards
    Gus

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Bit too soon after the last round only being over but looking at March and what I'm going to sit...already have planned property and equity but anybody else able to recommend the nicest two to sit with these (minus contract and criminal )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Hi All,

I hope the exams went well for peoples.

I am looking for up to date past exam papers and sample answers for Tort and Equity if anybody could help a Sista out?
    can obviously pay for these.

Hi
    Can anyone explain the Hybrid PPC to me please. What I know is you start PPC1 in December and stay working wherever you are working. What happens then after PPC1, do you have to leave that employment and start your indentured contract and then do PPC2 as normal 7/8 months later or what happens.
    Regards
    Gus

As far as I can tell you have to be working as a trainee solicitor when the induction for the course starts (afaik as they wanted my indentures signed and sent everything to my training solictor as well as me). Unless they're letting people start late. I'm presuming they are not allowing that but they may be flexible with that due the nov sitting of the fe1s. Maybe you could do PPC1 flexible and then immediately start in a job but obviously you would need an employer agreeable to that. It's way longer than the regular ppc1 cos of the flexible bit so they will be waiting until Oct 2021 for you!

You can work the whole way through both PPC1 and PPC2 if you want except like the days of the exams. So if your employer is amenable you could just start working as a pre-trainee now or around the time PPC1 starts.

It looks like about half of the classes are on Friday afternoons and saturdays (in person) and the other half are on Friday evenings and Saturdays (online). I suspect all of the classes will be online for the forseeable future but they have not confirmed anything. They are recommending working four day week during PPC1 though ofc you could arrange with your employer just to take Friday afternoons off or work the time back or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

Bit too soon after the last round only being over but looking at March and what I'm going to sit...already have planned property and equity but anybody else able to recommend the nicest two to sit with these (minus contract and criminal )

I would maybe pick them based on the timetable. Tort is easy, but long. EU isn't actually too bad, if you looks at the exam papers you can actually narrow it down to around 10 topics.

A lot of people think Company is easy enough but I think some exam papers he puts up are quite tough and different from the others. My advice there would be to get your legislation early and use it! Trying to remember where everything is in the Companies Act last minute is a nightmare!

I would maybe pick them based on the timetable. Tort is easy, but long. EU isn't actually too bad, if you looks at the exam papers you can actually narrow it down to around 10 topics.

A lot of people think Company is easy enough but I think some exam papers he puts up are quite tough and different from the others. My advice there would be to get your legislation early and use it! Trying to remember where everything is in the Companies Act last minute is a nightmare!

Yeah I agree with the timetable suggestion - I was gonna say if you're doing those two together and you don't want to do crim or contract (have you already passed them) then you have Tort, EU, Company and Constitutional left. I'd actually pick the hardest one so that will at least break up the work a bit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Hi
    Regards
    Gus

After PPC1 on the Hybrid, you are required to go working for your training solicitor. You can also work during PPC1 and earn credit but that is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 loosehead1973

Very informative
    Thank You

As far as I can tell you have to be working as a trainee solicitor when the induction for the course starts (afaik as they wanted my indentures signed and sent everything to my training solictor as well as me). Unless they're letting people start late. I'm presuming they are not allowing that but they may be flexible with that due the nov sitting of the fe1s. Maybe you could do PPC1 flexible and then immediately start in a job but obviously you would need an employer agreeable to that. It's way longer than the regular ppc1 cos of the flexible bit so they will be waiting until Oct 2021 for you!

You can work the whole way through both PPC1 and PPC2 if you want except like the days of the exams. So if your employer is amenable you could just start working as a pre-trainee now or around the time PPC1 starts.

It looks like about half of the classes are on Friday afternoons and saturdays (in person) and the other half are on Friday evenings and Saturdays (online). I suspect all of the classes will be online for the forseeable future but they have not confirmed anything. They are recommending working four day week during PPC1 though ofc you could arrange with your employer just to take Friday afternoons off or work the time back or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

Hi

I have completed 3 exams now, and I plan to chip away at a small bit of work every day for the next sitting in March. I suppose this is my own fault, but these exams are very...independent shall we say. I mean in the sense that I feel quite alone in this experience and have to research options myself with nowhere, including my college providing any guidance or help.

I only recently was informed that if you want a training contract you would want to start looking a year in advance...yikes! I was hoping to just focus on the FE1s first, and then take April-August 2021 to start looking for one...again my own fault.

With no milkrounds this year, and many seemingly good candidates here who have had zero luck with them, where can one search for a training contract? I don't want to live in Dublin as it just doesn't suit me with high rents and a hectic lifestyle there, can you get a 2 year paid training contract in a small socilitors in a local town? Or does this TC have to be in a proper "firm"?
    Sorry I'm so clueless about this next step in becoming a solictor and to me it seems the hardest step.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

FE1Rookie wrote: »
    Hi

I have completed 3 exams now, and I plan to chip away at a small bit of work every day for the next sitting in March. I suppose this is my own fault, but these exams are very...independent shall we say. I mean in the sense that I feel quite alone in this experience and have to research options myself with nowhere, including my college providing any guidance or help.

I only recently was informed that if you want a training contract you would want to start looking a year in advance...yikes! I was hoping to just focus on the FE1s first, and then take April-August 2021 to start looking for one...again my own fault.

With no milkrounds this year, and many seemingly good candidates here who have had zero luck with them, where can one search for a training contract? I don't want to live in Dublin as it just doesn't suit me with high rents and a hectic lifestyle there, can you get a 2 year paid training contract in a small socilitors in a local town? Or does this TC have to be in a proper "firm"?
    Sorry I'm so clueless about this next step in becoming a solictor and to me it seems the hardest step.

Certainly most of the big firms typically recruit 1-2 years in advance, so milkrounds this season would be for 2022 intakes onwards - mainly due to the numbers they recruit and the level of competition.
    However small/medium sized firms usually hire trainees as and when needed, often as paralegals/interns prior to their training commencing. So yes, you can absolutely train in a small practice once your training solicitor is able to provide you with the variety of practice areas required. However I gather salaries in smaller offices can often be little more than minimum wage, and there is no obligation on training solicitors to pay your Blackhall fees - just worth being aware of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lawstudent1916

Hi all.

I am looking for condensed notes & sample answers for Company, Equity and EU. I have notes/papers/grids/reports for Criminal, Contract & Property to swap or would be happy to pay for them (which is hopefully fine with the mods).

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 2020lawfe1

Does anyone have up to date grids for Tort, Company + Contract? I have grids up to 2018 (and exam papers + reports up till then too) for Property and Constitutional to swap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

hi, would anybody have Equity sample answers and / or condensed notes?
    can swap for Property or contract sample answers and notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Does anyone have up-to-date EU and Criminal grids?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Meg!

When completing the Hybird Application. I know to send in a copy of my Degree, but do I send in a copy of my Leaving Cert results too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Hi all.

I am looking for condensed notes & sample answers for Company, Equity and EU. I have notes/papers/grids/reports for Criminal, Contract & Property to swap or would be happy to pay for them (which is hopefully fine with the mods).

Cheers.

I have company and Eu sample answers are up until October 2019. If you send me your email I can get them over to you this evening.

Fe7 wrote: »
    Does anyone have up-to-date EU and Criminal grids?

I have up until October 2019 and then I have the March 2020 papers, just send me a DM if you want them!

2020lawfe1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have up to date grids for Tort, Company + Contract? I have grids up to 2018 (and exam papers + reports up till then too) for Property and Constitutional to swap?

I have Tort and Company up until October 2019 and I have thar March/August 2020 papers if thats any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Hi Guys,

Could anyone who recently sat Constitutional or has done in the past shed any light on what the best way to tackle it is?

Hoping to sit it next year but given the length of my manual at nearly 500 pages and most posters on here tend to say it's one of, if not the longest courses... I'm wondering therefore is there a more strategic way of approaching it or do you have to just embrace the slog?

I passed Tort & EU in August by doing the norm and studying the grid and making my way through the most examinable topics. I assume the same will work for Constitutional but jeez the content and no. of chapters is just so heavy!

I'm just delving into the TC stage and I'm wondering would most law firms not be taking on interns (for even unpaid experience) or TCs during COVID times? Wouldn't most be working from home now, and hence shadowing is impossible?

Just wondering whether or not to email some law firms in my county or not to bother them as it seems to me they wouldn't be taking on new people.

I'm just delving into the TC stage and I'm wondering would most law firms not be taking on interns (for even unpaid experience) or TCs during COVID times? Wouldn't most be working from home now, and hence shadowing is impossible?

Just wondering whether or not to email some law firms in my county or not to bother them as it seems to me they wouldn't be taking on new people.

On the same boat as you, I have done the above but haven’t had any luck.

• Advertisement

On the same boat as you, I have done the above but haven’t had any luck.

Yeah I imagine that it will be a lot harder for a solicitors to even just give me unpaid experience due to covid and the fact that some offices are closed, some are open for appointment etc. I don't want to annoy them asking for unpiad experience at a time like this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Always seemed a bit rude to cold-call local firms and ask them if they wanted someone to hire. Surely if they needed people they would advertise this? If you sent a prospective application to one of the big firms outside their Milkrounds window they would probably throw it into the bin.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Always seemed a bit rude to cold-call local firms and ask them if they wanted someone to hire. Surely if they needed people they would advertise this? If you sent a prospective application to one of the big firms outside their Milkrounds window they would probably throw it into the bin.

Thanks that's really helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 FE1Rookies

Can anyone recommend a preparatory course for company and equity? There are so many options hard to decide which one is best. Thanks :)

It is really annoying how hard it is to get into offices. I understand that the work has to be there. But even to get experience is impossible and then they don't want you without experience. Its all very annoying. Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones and got experience and a trainee contract, I pity those struggling tho. BIG TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Yeah I imagine that it will be a lot harder for a solicitors to even just give me unpaid experience due to covid and the fact that some offices are closed, some are open for appointment etc. I don't want to annoy them asking for unpiad experience at a time like this :confused:

Harder yes but I would give it a shot, there may be research or something you could do from home. You could even try NGOs working in law-related areas, they are generally underfunded and may be happy to offer you something.

I don't think it's considered rude at all, sure the worst thing they'll do is say no or not respond! The firm I work at gets a lot of unsolicited CVs requesting work experience, and even if we're not hiring they are kept on file.

Of course the milkround firms have their designated recruitment times and application processes but small/mid size firms are not the same and you may get lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 FE12020Law

With one exam left (Tort) I am considering the City Colleges Prep course. Has anyone had experience with them for Tort ? How did ye find them?

FE12020Law wrote: »
    With one exam left (Tort) I am considering the City Colleges Prep course. Has anyone had experience with them for Tort ? How did ye find them?

Would Recommend for Tort I found them very good!

When sending in the Hybird Application form, do we send a copy of our LC Results?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Could anyone who recently sat Constitutional or has done in the past shed any light on what the best way to tackle it is?

Hoping to sit it next year but given the length of my manual at nearly 500 pages and most posters on here tend to say it's one of, if not the longest courses... I'm wondering therefore is there a more strategic way of approaching it or do you have to just embrace the slog?

I passed Tort & EU in August by doing the norm and studying the grid and making my way through the most examinable topics. I assume the same will work for Constitutional but jeez the content and no. of chapters is just so heavy!

Cons. is a tricky one, the least predictable/repetitive of any subject imo. The questions asked tend to be quite vague and it is often hard to discern what the examiner is looking for (or at least this is what I have found), the last two papers in particular.

Examining past papers is still the best way to go imo. There are some topics that appear almost ecery sitting that you can incorporate into a given question. However, given that the course is so broad, there is a considerable amount more to cover in comparison to other subjects to ensure that you are good to answer 5 questions. There is also generally a focus on contemporary/topical issues/case law so it would be worth reading up on those.

It'll be different for everyone, I bet some people love Cons. and find it easy! Hope that's of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SalteeBiscuits

I know we're not allowed to sell FE-1 materials here, but anyone know any other good places to sell it? Trying to sell on some of my manuals/notes/legislation while it's still up to date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bkm2020

Hi All,
    Would anyone have some up to date Tort materials they would be willing to share?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 20 law1234567

FE12020Law wrote: »

Yes, I just sat the tort exam with city collages and to be honest it wasn't that great. The lecturer was often busy and a lot of lectures had to be postponed which made me fall behind personally (I understand sometimes these things are out of the controls of college). After doing the exam I found the manual to not go into as much detail in certain areas and lacked in others. The lecture notes are essentially the manual but simplified nad there was no revision lecture since we were so far behind. My experience wasn't great so I don't recommend it but its just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Meg! wrote: »
    When sending in the Hybird Application form, do we send a copy of our LC Results?

I could find mine so I just put down the points ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

I work for a Dublin-based international firm and we are still taking interns! It’s all done virtually. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Hey! What are peoples thoughts on Blackhall being online again in September 2021? Do you think it will be in person by the time Sept rolls around next year? I suppose its a tough one! How do people currently doing PPC1 find doing it online at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

user115 wrote: »
    Hey! What are peoples thoughts on Blackhall being online again in September 2021? Do you think it will be in person by the time Sept rolls around next year? I suppose its a tough one! How do people currently doing PPC1 find doing it online at the moment?

I think September 2021 might be too far out to speculate. It would be great if they offered a hybrid going forward with the FE1's in terms of the current online option and a physical sitting for those who still prefer that format.

For instance they could run the physical sitting in Dublin as normal and instead of running the Cork physical sitting they could facilitate the current online format.

Regardless, I hope they run the current online format for the next round in March and save myself the commuting/hotel costs and the stress induced environment of the Red Cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fseoighe

Hey all - looking for eu / constitutional girds and sample answers / exam reports that are up to date - have everything for the other subjects, if you'd like to swap!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

This has probably been answered already, but has anyone been in contact with the law society on when we should except to get results back? normally 6 weeks but that's pushing it to the week of christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TheFE1Prep

Hi All, I have updated grids, exam papers/reports, sample answers to 2015, e-manuals, pdf versions of textbooks including McMahon and Binchy's Law of Tort if anyone is interested pm me!

This has probably been answered already, but has anyone been in contact with the law society on when we should except to get results back? normally 6 weeks but that's pushing it to the week of christmas

I emailed them last week but no reply... surprise surprise

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement