Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭phildub

RaffRiff01 wrote: »
    Happy New Years all! I know that the timetable sitting for March 2021 is already out, does anyone know if it is for sure online? or it still depends on the covid situation for that week?

Just wondering cause my studying for online is completely different, im afraid that they might cancel last minute or whatnot.

It says on the timetable that they are online, doesnt mean that isn't subject to change, although I doubt it considering the numbers at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RaffRiff01

phildub wrote: »
    It says on the timetable that they are online, doesnt mean that isn't subject to change, although I doubt it considering the numbers at the moment!

thank you! i wish they stop with this "subject to change" nonsense... the last minute warning (3 weeks? or less?) last october/november was brutal. I had to change my studying strategy all over and it was a mess.

I agree, but then again its only January a lot can happen in 2 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fe1time

Happy new year everyone! For those who did the November property paper what questions were on it and how did it compare to previous years?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Hi all. Hope study going ok. I’ve just started company, what topics should I Defo cover please? If anyone had an updated grid too, that would be great, I can swap. Thanks so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Does anyone have March 2020 papers (pref with examiners reports/sample answers?!) for property, equity, contract and constitutional? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Hi all. Hope study going ok. I’ve just started company, what topics should I Defo cover please? If anyone had an updated grid too, that would be great, I can swap. Thanks so much

SLP and Incorporation, winding up, Directors duties, corporate borrowing, shareholder oppression and restriction are the most important I think. the other topics that are good to cover are share transfer, realisation of corporate assets and maybe receivership

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bluerthanu

fe1time wrote: »
    Happy new year everyone! For those who did the November property paper what questions were on it and how did it compare to previous years?

Thanks!

I’m going almost entirely off of memory here but I think it was:

- adverse possession, PQ;
    - family property, essay;
    - capacity and formalities of a will , s77 and s78, essay;
    - Section 117, legal right share for spouse and child etc, PQ;
    - finding, PQ;
    - equitable licences, essay;
    - easements by necessity, PQ;
    - influence of equity (i think), essay.

Overall, I remember it being a very nice paper really. No different to any previous year afaik. Certainly the easiest of the four I did anyway, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SS_98

Hi Guys,

Does anyone who sat the torts exam in November remember what topics came up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Does anybody know what the easiest exam is out of Contract, Constitutional, Company and Equity?

SS_98 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone who sat the torts exam in November remember what topics came up?

problem questions on vicarious liability, occupiers liability, causation and medical negligence and then an essay on products, those were the 5 I did and there was an essay on intentional torts

• Advertisement

Does anybody have an Equity grid?

IgoPAP wrote: »

I have one, pm me your email

IgoPAP wrote: »

i forgot I can post links now!

awsah wrote: »
    i forgot I can post links now!

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Does anyone have zero motivation to even start back? Just waiting for these results and I can't bring myself to open a book :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Does anyone have any advice on where to start with Constitutional? it's so overwhelming!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Does anyone have any advice on where to start with Constitutional? it's so overwhelming!

Constitutional interpretation is always a nice and easy place to start.

Remember to study broadly for Constitutional rather than deeply i.e. it's better to know a little about a lot of topics rather than do just have a few essays prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

Was supposed to sit in March/October 2020 but became ill (bacterial meningitis) and my brain just wasn't up to it. Trying to get started now and it's so disheartening knowing I really should be done already!

Anyone have updated grids for tort, criminal, constitutional or property? Been out of the loop a while now and would very much appreciate anything in the form of help!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fe1time

bluerthanu wrote: »
    I’m going almost entirely off of memory here but I think it was:

- adverse possession, PQ;
    - family property, essay;
    - capacity and formalities of a will , s77 and s78, essay;
    - Section 117, legal right share for spouse and child etc, PQ;
    - finding, PQ;
    - equitable licences, essay;
    - easements by necessity, PQ;
    - influence of equity (i think), essay.

Overall, I remember it being a very nice paper really. No different to any previous year afaik. Certainly the easiest of the four I did anyway, best of luck!

Thank you!

• Advertisement

BigSprogs wrote: »
    Was supposed to sit in March/October 2020 but became ill (bacterial meningitis) and my brain just wasn't up to it. Trying to get started now and it's so disheartening knowing I really should be done already!

Anyone have updated grids for tort, criminal, constitutional or property? Been out of the loop a while now and would very much appreciate anything in the form of help!

These are the most recent I have for these subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Hi guys, anyone have any thoughts or advice on Contract?

I have just started looking at it and the examiner reports. It doesn't seem as predictable as others and the content is a bit dull, ha. She also seems to be looking for a lot in each question.

How have people gotten on with it before? Is she an easy marker? And any general advice when studying it??

It is one of my last exams so v.anxious to pass it!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Hi guys, anyone have any thoughts or advice on Contract?

I have just started looking at it and the examiner reports. It doesn't seem as predictable as others and the content is a bit dull, ha. She also seems to be looking for a lot in each question.

How have people gotten on with it before? Is she an easy marker? And any general advice when studying it??

It is one of my last exams so v.anxious to pass it!

Hey! Had a hard time with contract too but hopefully I did enough in November to pass. It was my last exam so I had quite a bit of time to study and prepare for it. Each question is definitely a mix of topics so it’s hard to cut down. I’d say once you’ve revised the topics, go over the exam questions and see if you can identify the topics that come up. It’ll be a bit of a confidence boost just by identifying them. Double check with the examiner reports then

As a marker she seems to be fair from what I’ve heard from others who have looked at their papers before

I covered the following topics for the last sitting and I starred the ones I feel should be covered for the exam:
    Agreement*
    Consideration*
    Consumer Protection*
    Misrepresentation*
    Mistake*
    Exemption Clauses*
    Terms
    Promissory Estoppel
    Remedies*
    Discharge*
    Undue Influence
    Privity
    Capacity (I glossed over it as some predictions said it was due a run)

This is just what worked for me though and hopefully this was some sort of help somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Thanks a million for taking the time to write that out, that's super helpful! appreciate it :)

SKLaw wrote: »
    Hey! Had a hard time with contract too but hopefully I did enough in November to pass. It was my last exam so I had quite a bit of time to study and prepare for it. Each question is definitely a mix of topics so it’s hard to cut down. I’d say once you’ve revised the topics, go over the exam questions and see if you can identify the topics that come up. It’ll be a bit of a confidence boost just by identifying them. Double check with the examiner reports then

As a marker she seems to be fair from what I’ve heard from others who have looked at their papers before

I covered the following topics for the last sitting and I starred the ones I feel should be covered for the exam:
    Agreement*
    Consideration*
    Consumer Protection*
    Misrepresentation*
    Mistake*
    Exemption Clauses*
    Terms
    Promissory Estoppel
    Remedies*
    Discharge*
    Undue Influence
    Privity
    Capacity (I glossed over it as some predictions said it was due a run)

This is just what worked for me though and hopefully this was some sort of help somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Thanks a million for taking the time to write that out, that's super helpful! appreciate it :)

No problem :) good luck with the studying!

I’ve attached the most recent contract law grid I have too, not including the ones that came up in the November sitting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Does anyone know the Qs that came up for Company last November or where to find them? The LS don't seem to be selling the paper for that sitting yet which is frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

neon123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the Qs that came up for Company last November or where to find them? The LS don't seem to be selling the paper for that sitting yet which is frustrating!

Someone else on Boards sent me on this, one question missing:

Directors Duties - Essay
    Incorporation - Problem
    Realisation of Assets
    212 Minority Shareholder Oppression - Problem
    Transfer of Shares - Problem
    Corporate Authority - Essay
    Restriction of a director - Problem

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Constitutional

Does anyone know how the SOP question/s came up in Nov 2020? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Hi, does anybody have a constitutional, contract and company grid up to date by any chance please?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Hi guys - maybe a little late to this but have the applications for the March sitting already closed?

If not, when is the deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

baloo21 wrote: »
    Hi guys - maybe a little late to this but have the applications for the March sitting already closed?

If not, when is the deadline?

They're not open yet. Probably next month, definitely won't be until after the results of the last sitting anyway which is meant to be Jan 11th.

• Advertisement

lawgrad49 wrote: »

Directors Duties - Essay
    Incorporation - Problem
    Realisation of Assets

Cheers for that :)

Does anyone have any advice on best topics to cover for EU or just generally for EU? Hoping to only have 2 exams left to do in March (depending on November results) and EU is one of them. I've never studied it before so I am completely starting from scratch and finding it a bit difficult to get my head around.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bluerthanu

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice on best topics to cover for EU or just generally for EU? Hoping to only have 2 exams left to do in March (depending on November results) and EU is one of them. I've never studied it before so I am completely starting from scratch and finding it a bit difficult to get my head around.

Sat it in November and I covered:
    - general principles (all of them, but a focus on human rights);
    - institutions/democratic deficit etc;
    - judicial review;
    - direct effect; and
    - fmog (art 30, 34, 110 - all of these because sometimes they are two questions).

I made notes on citizenship but this was basically night before stuff as a backup. Didn’t need it in the end. Those broad five topics almost always give you five questions to answer each year and they rarely throw up surprises really. I’m someone who covers the absolute bare minimum however. Most would also cover either citizenship (but this also requires fmow) or competition (which is massive).

My advice on EU is that it’s an incredibly handy exam but the content is just really alien and overwhelming at first. I personally worked back from grids, exam papers, and then notes. The questions are pretty much identical every year. As with all areas of law if starting from scratch, it really will make your life easier (and, dare I say, the whole process *slightly* more enjoyable) if you try at the outset to just broadly wrap your head around EU law (the primacy of eu law), it’s (short) history (and how its evolved to today), and how it interacts with national law (the preliminary reference procedure and direct effect). It doesn’t operate like other areas of common law because its authority derives purely from supranational ceding of sovereignty (and that tension is always there). Of course, this is only a luxury and not a necessary. If you’re time constrained, skip that nonsense. However, if you have the time, I think you’ll find studying it just so much easier.

One final thing to remember is that you can use your treaties in the exam, so get this straight away and start marking it (you can use highlighters and tabs). I’m not messing when I say that you could bluff an answer on either general principles, institutions, and maybe even citizenship/fmow at a push just by using the treaties. The Convention is there and all the Directives. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any advice on Company Law? Just starting now and it seems huge.

Guys does anyone have any tips for approaching Constitutional? People have mentioned its best to know small bits of detail for most of the topics examinable but the examiner seems to throw in the odd Q which only covers a narrow part of the course. Is it the case that knowing small bits of detail for most topics would mean one should be able to answer 5 Qs on an average exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

neon123 wrote: »
    Guys does anyone have any tips for approaching Constitutional? People have mentioned its best to know small bits of detail for most of the topics examinable but the examiner seems to throw in the odd Q which only covers a narrow part of the course. Is it the case that knowing small bits of detail for most topics would mean one should be able to answer 5 Qs on an average exam?

Get the handouts from Dr Carolan’s annual Constitutional Law Update conference if you can, best possible preparation for the exam. I went to the conference with a buddy who had failed Constitutional a few times, he got it the next time. We are both practising now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayleee123

Would anyone have the questions or general topics that came up in the Nov 2020 Constitutional exam please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    No advertising pls

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Anyone think we will get "the" email tomorrow to confirm when the results are being released??

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

i am doing the city colleges course for constitutional law (paid to do it for the last sitting but didn't go ahead with it in the end so doing the free repeat) i am finding the lecturer extremely boring and hard to listen to and tbh i don't find his way of learning helpful atall even the way he compiles the cases im absolutely clueless no hope of me remembering them) has anyone had any better experiences with any other prep courses for constitutional law i dont want to be spending more money on courses that are gonna be similar? its only because i am so lost when it comes to constitutional law and i want to pass it this time round ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Get the handouts from Dr Carolan’s annual Constitutional Law Update conference if you can, best possible preparation for the exam. I went to the conference with a buddy who had failed Constitutional a few times, he got it the next time. We are both practising now.

How would one go about getting these handouts? Thanks!

bluerthanu wrote: »
    Sat it in November and I covered:
    - general principles (all of them, but a focus on human rights);
    - institutions/democratic deficit etc;
    - judicial review;
    - direct effect; and
    - fmog (art 30, 34, 110 - all of these because sometimes they are two questions).

I made notes on citizenship but this was basically night before stuff as a backup. Didn’t need it in the end. Those broad five topics almost always give you five questions to answer each year and they rarely throw up surprises really. I’m someone who covers the absolute bare minimum however. Most would also cover either citizenship (but this also requires fmow) or competition (which is massive).

My advice on EU is that it’s an incredibly handy exam but the content is just really alien and overwhelming at first. I personally worked back from grids, exam papers, and then notes. The questions are pretty much identical every year. As with all areas of law if starting from scratch, it really will make your life easier (and, dare I say, the whole process *slightly* more enjoyable) if you try at the outset to just broadly wrap your head around EU law (the primacy of eu law), it’s (short) history (and how its evolved to today), and how it interacts with national law (the preliminary reference procedure and direct effect). It doesn’t operate like other areas of common law because its authority derives purely from supranational ceding of sovereignty (and that tension is always there). Of course, this is only a luxury and not a necessary. If you’re time constrained, skip that nonsense. However, if you have the time, I think you’ll find studying it just so much easier.

One final thing to remember is that you can use your treaties in the exam, so get this straight away and start marking it (you can use highlighters and tabs). I’m not messing when I say that you could bluff an answer on either general principles, institutions, and maybe even citizenship/fmow at a push just by using the treaties. The Convention is there and all the Directives. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for this it's really helpful. I've already started on making my notes but I think I'll take your advice and focus a bit more on exam papers and reports for a while to get more of feel for what hes looking for. It is so alien to me though you're right there! Before last month I had no idea what an EU Institution even was so i'm preparing for an uphill battle.. It's nice to know it has a decent pass rate though

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

Hello everyone, thought I’d post on the off chance that someone has advice! I have been called to interview for a TC with Damien Tansey solicitors in their Dublin office. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience interviewing with them previously? Any advice welcomes - thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭phildub

Hi, does anybody have a constitutional, contract and company grid up to date by any chance please?

Go back a couple of pages and they were posted

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

lawgrad49 wrote: »

Directors Duties - Essay
    Incorporation - Problem
    Realisation of Assets

And an essay on meetings :)

And an essay on meetings :)

Great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FE1Pleb

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is well and settling back into reality.

I'm just wondering, on the off chance if anyone would be able to share a company grid with me? I have materials on all other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 donners87

Does anyone know if the March application form is available yet? I only see the timetable on the Law Society's website

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Hi all,

Any advice on narrowing down topics for Tort? Just starting and a bit overwhelmed in regards to the amount of content that I need to cover between now and march. Was going through defamation, that topic is so chunky in itself can't imagine doing that 15 times over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ellachapman96

Hey guys, Just wondering does anyone have up to date exam papers/report for property? I only have as far up as spring 2018. Thanks a mill!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement