Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Any EU manuals, non pdf, please message me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Are nutshells any use in terms of revision? Not for basing your sole study off of just in terms of breaking down important topics and seeing what is important

I think Val Corbett wrote nutshell for Tort. I never used it, but I had Val as a lecturer for Tort with lawschool and he was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

Does anyone have up to date notes for constitutional regarding abortion and the unborn, my manual and notes are all pre repeal!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stonewash

Anyone still waiting on August refunds? Tried emailing them but got no reply

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

does anyone have tips for approaching the criminal exam? last time i studied criminal law was 2014/15

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    does anyone have tips for approaching the criminal exam? last time i studied criminal law was 2014/15

Hey, I did it in the last sitting, so not an expert at all. But here are some tips that might help.

I'd recommend covering as much of the course as possible. Usually the criminal problem questions cover a number of different issues so you mainly just need surface knowledge. I'd cover Murder/ manslaughter in closer detail as this tends to be a more detailed question.

The main issues I covered, but each to their own:
    Murder / manslaughter
    Sexual offences
    Theft / offences against the property
    Non-fatal offences against the person
    Inchoate offences: conspiracy, incitement attempt, joint enterprise (came up in November), perjury and contempt,
    Criminal law defences: provocation (November essay question), intoxication, insanity, automatism, self-defence, duress, necessity and defence of consent
    Practice and procedure: right to silence, presumption of innocence, arrest without warrant, bail, criminal cts.
    Additional: Classification of offences, strict liability, mens rea/ actus reus

The examiner reports are great for Criminal. The examiner covers in detail what he is looking for. They are a good place to start and although the exact same question may not be asked similar scenarios are. Look at March 2020 sitting and the previous year, it is unlikely the main issues that came up in November will reappear in March.

Hope it is of some help. Also the Night Before Notes by City College are great and give you some recent case law which always helps.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 legalspiegel

Hi everyone, I'm looking for manuals or notes for property and equity. I have sample answers/exam papers/examiners reports for those and contract, plus a manual for contract, if anyone wants to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Anybody else really struggling to get back into study without results from last time? Starting to panic a bit now barely a topic covered in each three I plan to sit

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Anyone have any tort essay sample answers they’d be willing to share with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

Does anyone have any Contract sample answers they would be willing to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 legalspiegel

Does anyone have any Contract sample answers they would be willing to share?

I do, I'll pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dropin

Bit of an awkward question but any input would be greatly appreciated

Have 3 exams left and don't have a whole bunch of time ( working full time etc). Naturally, I want to finish these things asap but I was wondering if anyone would know how leaving 1 exam until October would affect the timeline of my application process.

I was under the impression that if you do your last exam in the October sitting then you wont be able to start a training contract until autumn of the following year. However, is it the case with some firms that you can sit the exam in October and then they offer a contract for you to start with them that autumn on a conditional basis?

Sorry if its a bit convoluted but I am basically asking is it possible or the even norm to be offered a contract starting end of 2021/ start of 2022 when you would still have one exam left this October?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Dropin wrote: »

Have 3 exams left and don't have a whole bunch of time ( working full time etc). Naturally, I want to finish these things asap but I was wondering if anyone would know how leaving 1 exam until October would affect the timeline of my application process.

I was under the impression that if you do your last exam in the October sitting then you wont be able to start a training contract until autumn of the following year. However, is it the case with some firms that you can sit the exam in October and then they offer a contract for you to start with them that autumn on a conditional basis?

Sorry if its a bit convoluted but I am basically asking is it possible or the even norm to be offered a contract starting end of 2021/ start of 2022 when you would still have one exam left this October?

PPC1 starts each year in September so my instinctive answer would be no. Your contract would start on or before September 2021 to be in the 2021 intake.
    There isn't such a thing as a conditional offer for these, I'm afraid. The Law Society requires that you have passed all 8 in order to register.

However, I know little to nothing about the Hybrid course so perhaps someone who knows more about that might be able to help. However, my understanding is that the Hybrid starts in advance of the intake, as opposed to after it, i.e. the 2021 Hybrid intake is starting this weekend, so to do the Hybrid next year it would be for 2022. Open to correction on this though!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Anybody else really struggling to get back into study without results from last time? Starting to panic a bit now barely a topic covered in each three I plan to sit

I'm the exact same, trying to cover a few things this week and then after the results the last sitting will be out of my mind, finding focus hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EAA123

Hi

Has anyone heard anything from the law society re results from nov?

I emailed and didn’t hear anything yet.

I have a feeling they’re just going to say the results are up like last time which I don’t mind because I nearly can’t sleep for a week after the first email saying results will be out the following week lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

You can't start PPC until you have all 8 fe1s. If you only have 7 after the March sitting, you can only start PPC Hybrid in December 2021, or the regular PPC in September 2022. A firm can offer a TC for a particular year on the condition that you get all 8 fe1s by the start date, but if you fail to get all 8 by the start date you can't commence PPC. Maybe that's where you heard the idea of the conditional offer- it's normal for firms to offer TCs to fe1 candidates with some exams still to pass, but you must have passed all of them before the start of PPC.

For the Hybrid course they are allowing late starts this year but I think that is only because of Covid and the fact that the last sitting and the results have been delayed as a result. Hope this helps

maggie95 wrote: »
    PPC1 starts each year in September so my instinctive answer would be no. Your contract would start on or before September 2021 to be in the 2021 intake.
    There isn't such a thing as a conditional offer for these, I'm afraid. The Law Society requires that you have passed all 8 in order to register.

However, I know little to nothing about the Hybrid course so perhaps someone who knows more about that might be able to help. However, my understanding is that the Hybrid starts in advance of the intake, as opposed to after it, i.e. the 2021 Hybrid intake is starting this weekend, so to do the Hybrid next year it would be for 2022. Open to correction on this though!

Thank you :)

Reya10 wrote: »
    You can't start PPC until you have all 8 fe1s. If you only have 7 after the March sitting, you can only start PPC Hybrid in December 2021, or the regular PPC in September 2022. A firm can offer a TC for a particular year on the condition that you get all 8 fe1s by the start date, but if you fail to get all 8 by the start date you can't commence PPC. Maybe that's where you heard the idea of the conditional offer- it's normal for firms to offer TCs to fe1 candidates with some exams still to pass, but you must have passed all of them before the start of PPC.

For the Hybrid course they are allowing late starts this year but I think that is only because of Covid and the fact that the last sitting and the results have been delayed as a result. Hope this helps

Thank you :) Seems as though I have some serious cramming to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

I do, I'll pm you

What sample answers have you for contract? Did you find them good?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Has anyone got good constitutional sample answers and or concise notes? Feel like I’m wasting my time and going through every topic ok too much detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Does anyone know which topics came up on the November Constitutional paper? Sorry if this has already been asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Thank you :) Seems as though I have some serious cramming to do...

likewise my friend... suffer now and live later haha

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

Anyone heard any word back from the Law Access Programme? I sent my application weeks ago and I would've thought I'd have heard word back this week. Just getting a bit anxious as the deadline is Friday so I'm just worried they haven't got it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

EAA123 wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone heard anything from the law society re results from nov?

I emailed and didn’t hear anything yet.

I have a feeling they’re just going to say the results are up like last time which I don’t mind because I nearly can’t sleep for a week after the first email saying results will be out the following week lol

I emailed them and they just replied saying provisional release date is Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

I emailed them and they just replied saying provisional release date is Monday

They said it was going to be the 11th? That’s better than saying the week of the 11th haha

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lawgrad2020

Hey does anyone have 2020 papers for tort or equity or even be able to tell me what came up?
    I have march 2020 for EU, Contract, Company and Property to swap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Has anyone ever applied for a recheck in recent times with success? I have read experiences from other posters further back.

With our results coming up, sitting on the fence if the scenario arises where I may need to consider it and as of right now I'm on the fence if its worth it.

Some have been jumped up considerably to a pass. Which I'm not surprised about, they make so many errors with various things and are so unorganised. On the other hand forking over 115 quid for maybe 30 seconds of their time to recount marks (when they should have done it correctly for the fee paid the first time) doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Meg!

Fe7 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever applied for a recheck in recent times with success? I have read experiences from other posters further back.

With our results coming up, sitting on the fence if the scenario arises where I may need to consider it and as of right now I'm on the fence if its worth it.

Some have been jumped up considerably to a pass. Which I'm not surprised about, they make so many errors with various things and are so unorganised. On the other hand forking over 115 quid for maybe 30 seconds of their time to recount marks (when they should have done it correctly for the fee paid the first time) doesn't sit well with me.

You can request to see your paper first before deciding

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FE1Pleb

Fe7 wrote: »

From past experience I wouldn't advise it. I had Equity re-checked last March and the re-checked paper didn't differ at all from the original. The second examiner didn't even fill in the marks on the paper. Complete waste of money in my eyes. Others have had better experiences though

Meg! wrote: »

Lovely, did not know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Saved.bythelaw

I can send you on notes for constitutional if you like you can send me a message!

FE1Pleb wrote: »
    From past experience I wouldn't advise it. I had Equity re-checked last March and the re-checked paper didn't differ at all from the original. The second examiner didn't even fill in the marks on the paper. Complete waste of money in my eyes. Others have had better experiences though

Yeah I'm curious what the reasoning for the cost is, think its more of a deterent than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Meg! wrote: »

From personal experience and accounts of other posters on here, you get your scanned copy of the paper long after deadline for the re-check application has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keelfe1s

Those studying equity - can you tell me what topics you’re thinking of covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 taralawfe1

Does anyone have any sample answers for tort and company? Can trade for equity, constitutional or contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Saved.bythelaw

Land-based torts- nuisance and rylands
    passing off
    causation
    product liability
    essay on statute of limitations

I recommend focusing on professional negligence, neg mistatement and damages for March 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Any tips on getting a traineeship much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Are law firms hiring now or will it be impossible to get a job even a internship in the next few months with the new lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

rickmatt wrote: »
    Any tips on getting a traineeship much appreciated :)

Depends on what type of firm you're applying for. If you're applying for corporate/commercial types it really helps to have a good understanding of the business side of things - both how the firm operates as a business and the wider economic envioronment and how this effects the firm and its clients. The interviews tend to be more business focussed than than legal tbh, so if you can have a pretty in depth discussion about current market trends and how they influence legal work it would help you impress. Have a basic understanding of what the core practice areas actually do e.g. M&A/Finance - what types of transactions does the firm do and how do they add vlaue i.e. why do clients turn to them and not other firms.

Bloomberg, the economist, FT and the Business Post served me pretty well for interivew prep.

After that, seems to boil down to legal/commercial experience, grades and your personality. If you have a few different experiences that are a bit quirky try and leverage those on your application form to make you stand out.

It's a bit tricky to get experience atm, but there are a lot of different online courses that you could do that would at least show that you are proactive. Anything that aligns to your area of interest, I did a course on Private equity which was quite good and cheap.

Also, Linkedin can be useful way of making connections and learning more about the area of law you want to practise. If you send a thoughtful message to someone working in an area/firm you're interested in, more often than not they'll be more than happy to have a chat about their work. Won't neccesarily get you the job, but can help you to make a good impression and increase your overal legal knowledge.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE12020Law

Hey guys, just wondering if you think this will be enough to cover for Tort:
    DOC/SOC
    Causation/Remoteness
    Defamation
    Defective Products
    Nuisance
    Occupier's Liability
    Vicarious Liability
    Damages
    Rylands v Fletcher - Trespass
    Nervous Shock

Should I add anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Hi folks, what are people covering for Constitutional? Seems like its best to cover most topics here but is there a round up of core topics that should mostly cover someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wispa9

For constitutional is it advisable to cover all three of Family, Education, and Religion, can anyone tell me? I find these topics quite dense so wondering if I could chance leaving one out

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

FE12020Law wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering if you think this will be enough to cover for Tort:
    DOC/SOC
    Causation/Remoteness
    Defamation
    Defective Products
    Nuisance
    Occupier's Liability
    Vicarious Liability
    Damages
    Rylands v Fletcher - Trespass
    Nervous Shock

Should I add anything ?

I would add Passing off & Intentional Torts in there, easy enough to grasp and he likes asking them - both came up in August I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Can anyone share any advice on how to prepare for the Constitutional case note Q?

Is there any pattern to the 4 cases he usually asks? Or should I just save myself the hassle and decide in advance not to do it? I left the case note question out of my revision for EU and found I saved a lot of time just knowing 2-3 key facts from each case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

Hi all,

Has anybody received their results from August in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FE.ONE

Hi all,

Has anybody received their results from August in the post?

I haven't even received mine from March lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Hey does anyone have 2020 papers for tort or equity or even be able to tell me what came up?
    I have march 2020 for EU, Contract, Company and Property to swap!

here is Tort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    I would add Passing off & Intentional Torts in there, easy enough to grasp and he likes asking them - both came up in August I believe.

intentional torts I think also came up in November, and I think Rylands has been up also. I left out rylands and had passing off instead and the rest of the topics you listed and I was good to have 6 questions

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Would anyone have any EU sample answers they would be willing to share with me? I have materials for most other subject to swap.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement