Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Does anyone have EU manual, please PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FE1s202020

Looking for Criminal Past Papers and Sample Answers - can swap for other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Can anyone share any advice on how to prepare for the Constitutional case note Q?

Is there any pattern to the 4 cases he usually asks? Or should I just save myself the hassle and decide in advance not to do it? I left the case note question out of my revision for EU and found I saved a lot of time just knowing 2-3 key facts from each case.

Would also be interested in any information on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FE1Pleb

I was half living in hope that results would be released today

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

FE1Pleb wrote: »

Same :( can’t cope with this waiting any longer

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

Same :( can’t cope with this waiting any longer

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

has anybody received the infamous email yet re. results?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Sorry to ask again but does anyone have any good typed concise notes for Constitutional? Have loads of other materials to swap in return!!

lawDani wrote: »

No I got none anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

lawDani wrote: »

Nothing yet. I logged onto the results page to see if by chance they were there, but just showing my results from August 2020 still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

lawgirl23 wrote: »
    Nothing yet. I logged onto the results page to see if by chance they were there, but just showing my results from August 2020 still.

Do you have the URL handy for accessing the results page? I can't find a link to it on the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Do you have the URL handy for accessing the results page? I can't find a link to it on the website!

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Become-a-Solicitor/FE-1-Exam/FE1-Results/

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

I had a heart attack when I saw this posted :P

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Essay questions to prepare for Tort... what should I be looking to prepare for in March?

Can anyone please tell me what is essential to cover in company?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Hi all, does anyone know what came up in the November constitutional paper? It’s not on my grid :) thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 desk404

“Recognising the important role that our younger solicitors will play, it is key that we value the solicitors of the future by engaging with our students.”
    - LS President, December 2020.

It’s difficult to feel valued or engaged with after yet another self-imposed deadline passes without explanation. Hoping for more engagement in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

FE1Pleb wrote: »

I assumed they'd be out way before this and they were only saying week of the 11th to cover themselves if there was any delays. Almost 9 weeks to give us them is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Imagine they had technological difficulties and lost them all

• Registered Users Posts: 19 church street 94

Anyone selling a Companies Act?

Mod - Please- no trading thru this forum

does anyone have recent Company Law answers please? mine are from nearly a decade ago and i would prefer more recent ones.. PM me. thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

Anyone have an up to date grid for company and sample answers? Willing to swap notes grids sample answers for other exams :) its my last exam so would really appreciate any help

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bluerthanu

desk404 wrote: »
    “Recognising the important role that our younger solicitors will play, it is key that we value the solicitors of the future by engaging with our students.”
    - LS President, December 2020.

It’s difficult to feel valued or engaged with after yet another self-imposed deadline passes without explanation. Hoping for more engagement in 2021.

Hoping for even the most basic professional standards from the LS, as one would expect from an incredibly wealthy organisation, really is just self inflicting pain at this point.

The only hope I'll be allowing myself with the LS is that in the not too distant future their monopoly is relinquished over our qualifications (realistically, graduates in 5+ years time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Can anyone share any advice on how to prepare for the Constitutional case note Q?

Is there any pattern to the 4 cases he usually asks? Or should I just save myself the hassle and decide in advance not to do it? I left the case note question out of my revision for EU and found I saved a lot of time just knowing 2-3 key facts from each case.

I think it is difficult to predict but I found it very helpful to go to the Supreme Court website where they have an annual report each year with readable summaries of some of the leading cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Can anyone tell me if an Essay Q came up on the AG or the President in the Constitutional Nov sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Can anyone tell me if an Essay Q came up on the AG or the President in the Constitutional Nov sitting?

Sadly it did not

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

Would anyone have a recent enough pdf Griffith College Constitutional manual ? Can swap as I have most of the others, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

would anyone recommend getting the nutshell for constitutional ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Does any one have 2019/2020 papers/sample answers for constitutional? I only have up until 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

how are people approaching the constitutional exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Constitutional November paper was:
    • Essay on Standing - specifically jus tertii (with reference to Mohan v Ireland and P v Judges of CC)
    • PQ on FO Expression (journalistic sources) I think it was mixed with a bit on exercise of judicial power/SOP
    • Essay on Kerins v McGuinness and O'Brien v Clerk of Dail Eireann re SOP
    • A PQ involving an Act of Oireachtas re fishing in Irish waters – (didn’t do this Q)
    • Essay on Right to Earn a Livelihood
    • PQ involving delegation of powers to a minister (I think! didn’t do that Q)
    • PQ involving someone with mental health issues detained in hospital against his will - Q asked to advise on challenging the process which led to detention . (I answered on liberty, Art 40 applications & right to life but not sure if that was 100%)
    • And the usual case note question

No question on AG/ President or Interpretation :(

Anyone else having trouble logging into their law society account? I’ve tried the last two days and it just keeps loading for me.. getting worried I won’t be able to get my results next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Anyone else having trouble logging into their law society account? I’ve tried the last two days and it just keeps loading for me.. getting worried I won’t be able to get my results next week :(

It was the same for me yesterday! I just tried logging in on a different browser and it worked no problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Hazel774 wrote: »
    Constitutional November paper was:
    • Essay on Standing - specifically jus tertii (with reference to Mohan v Ireland and P v Judges of CC)
    • PQ on FO Expression (journalistic sources) I think it was mixed with a bit on exercise of judicial power/SOP
    • Essay on Kerins v McGuinness and O'Brien v Clerk of Dail Eireann re SOP
    • A PQ involving an Act of Oireachtas re fishing in Irish waters – (didn’t do this Q)
    • Essay on Right to Earn a Livelihood
    • PQ involving delegation of powers to a minister (I think! didn’t do that Q)
    • PQ involving someone with mental health issues detained in hospital against his will - Q asked to advise on challenging the process which led to detention . (I answered on liberty, Art 40 applications & right to life but not sure if that was 100%)
    • And the usual case note question

No question on AG/ President or Interpretation :(

Thank you so much, this is so helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Curious if anybody knows do we access results via the account we applied for the October sitting in?

Curious if anybody knows do we access results via the account we applied for the October sitting in?

It's usually just your account for the law society website (candidate ID and your password) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcarroll9

Any relatively recent grids going for property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Hazel774 wrote: »
    It's usually just your account for the law society website (candidate ID and your password) :)

Where would I find my candidate ID? I was registered with the website separate to the FE-1 so I used that account to apply but I see now that there is a different account for FE-1 students which I hadn't noticed till now.

Creol1 wrote: »
    Where would I find my candidate ID? I was registered with the website separate to the FE-1 so I used that account to apply but I see now that there is a different account for FE-1 students which I hadn't noticed till now.

I’m not too sure then sorry. You could try logging in on the homepage of the website and then go to the FE1 page where results will be and you should still be logged in, but I’m not too sure!

We were supposed to get an email a week in advance of results, which presumably would have explained how to access them, but as usual no communication from them. They still haven’t even finalised a date which is so frustrating :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

Creol1 wrote: »

If you email the FE1 section with your details they can give you your candidate number, you then have to create a separate account with your candidate number to access the results. Unfortunately they're not linked with the account you make to sign up for the exams.

From the email from the August sitting if this is any help:

"If you are using the online results service for the first time, enter your username and password as follows:

Username: Your username is your Law Society ID Number which appears on all letters you have received from the FE-1 section. It is not the same as your examination candidate number. If you do not know your username, please email fe1section@lawsociety.ie with your full name, date of birth and your current postal address and we will email your ID number to you to the email address given on your application form.

Password: First time users will need to reset their password. All passwords must be a minimum of 10 characters"

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Hello all. I was thinking a while back about how the Law Society is incredibly vague on actual data that pertains to the results of the exams such as pass rates and average results so I wanted to try and compile my own data set. Obviously, if I just use my own results it won't be much of a sample so I created a Google form in the hope some other people might be willing to share their results. You can find it below:

https://forms.gle/3XLbC4RGkmr9qNYH9

This form is totally anonymous and I cannot see any data beyond the result a person submits. I am hopeful that if I got about a hundred replies per subject it would be a decent sample and probably give us an indication of the curve that each subject uses.

The results of the survey will be shared on my own website and I'll obviously share them here when that happens. I would also appreciate it if this could be shared in any Facebook groups, group chats, or just with other people who sat the exams in November to try and get as many replies as possible.

If you have any questions just lemme know!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Fe7 wrote: »
    Yes the law society is vague, but I’m missing the correlation between why you’re collecting data and why you’re sharing the end results? What’s the point of putting all this effort into collecting and then sharing?

I ask because it wasn’t so clear how this benefits us who contribute and I would be more inclined to participate with a better understanding, as it is also a bit vague.

The only indication of pass rates per module comes from the Society's submission to the LSRA in 2016. The benefit to those who participate is that they can decide the order of subjects they select based on pass rates as well as having a better understanding of what an achievable result is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Kellyg248

Hi, can anyone tell me if the application dates to write the March FE1's have closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

Kellyg248 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me if the application dates to write the March FE1's have closed?

the applications for March haven't opened yet! Presumably it will open this week after results

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ann1994

Fe7 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever applied for a recheck in recent times with success? I have read experiences from other posters further back.

With our results coming up, sitting on the fence if the scenario arises where I may need to consider it and as of right now I'm on the fence if its worth it.

Some have been jumped up considerably to a pass. Which I'm not surprised about, they make so many errors with various things and are so unorganised. On the other hand forking over 115 quid for maybe 30 seconds of their time to recount marks (when they should have done it correctly for the fee paid the first time) doesn't sit well with me.

Hi I had Company Law rechecked March last year and it went from 41 to 52! I would definitely recommend getting a recheck. Each of my 5 questions I picked up an extra few marks in the recheck and it pulled me up to the pass rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

Sooo anyone else assuming the results will just be released, without the LS contacting any of us or even having a specific time on their website like the August results?

Last time I only found out they were out because one poster here noticed they were out. Complete joke.

FE1Rookie wrote: »
    Sooo anyone else assuming the results will just be released, without the LS contacting any of us or even having a specific time on their website like the August results?

Last time I only found out they were out because one poster here noticed they were out. Complete joke.

We can only hope at this rate :(

ann1994 wrote: »
    Hi I had Company Law rechecked March last year and it went from 41 to 52! I would definitely recommend getting a recheck. Each of my 5 questions I picked up an extra few marks in the recheck and it pulled me up to the pass rate.

Thanks for the feedback. I think they should refund the re-check fee when it does result in a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Kellyg248

laworlawww wrote: »
    the applications for March haven't opened yet! Presumably it will open this week after results

Thank you!! I've been on the site and couldnt see them, hoped I hadnt messed the deadline!! Appreciate your quick response.
    K

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement