Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

L.E.D wrote: »
    Will these exams be postponed if the coronavirus gets into the republic? I think my brain is fried from studying that I'm starting to panic!!

I wouldn’t be getting my hopes up

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Will these exams be postponed if the coronavirus gets into the republic? I think my brain is fried from studying that I'm starting to panic!!

Not entirely the same but I remember an invigilator before one of my exams in October very definitely saying that exams would go ahead in spite of any weather warnings for the following day

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Imagine would be great!! Like if there was major panic in the next week and a number of cases were confirmed in Republic then maybe like could they really justify risking the health of people for exams???! They would look terrible for going ahead with them....Lol

In fairness though if they are gonna cancel paddys day parade and the Irl and Italy game I'd say it could happen if let's say the Dept Health highlighted the concern....would be an extreme long shot though, they would prob lose money with booking hotel and might not be available again for ages so prob not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Guys I'm stressed too but we can't be wishing coronavirus on people haha

I would say there is no chance of them calling it off anyway. Big difference between FE1 exams and the rugby or paddys parade, people travelling from infected countries etc, whereas FE1s don't have that factor

Guys I'm stressed too but we can't be wishing coronavirus on people haha

I would say there is no chance of them calling it off anyway. Big difference between FE1 exams and the rugby or paddys parade, people travelling from infected countries etc, whereas FE1s don't have that factor

It's terrible wouldn't wish it on anyone just wish these exams were not so close!

Ya would be totally shocked if they did cancel, have never heard of them ever being cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JimmyJazzz

tommyq94 wrote: »
    What are the 'trilogy of NAMA cases' that my revision guide is referring to?

I am using a 2018 manual from a different College and cant find them in it.

If anyone has any notes on them I would greatly appreciate them, as Property Rights is tipped to come up this sitting!

Dellway Investments v. NAMA [2011]

NAMA v. McMahon [2014]

NAMA v. Breslin [2017]

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Anyone got a sample answer on the Attorney General for Constitutional? My manual really doesn't have much on it so would really appreciate it and can send over any exam reports or papers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PerryMason2020

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Hey, can anyone clarify for me please, I have two sources, both telling me different things

requirements for a valid will and witnessing. Does the testator have to sign in front of the witnesses? do they witnesses have to sign in the presence of each other at the same time?

I know there's previous questions where a witness looks away when the testator is signing or someone blocks their view etc

The testator has to sign in front of both witnesses at the same time (the witnesses are attesting his signature), but the witnesses do not have to attest each other's signatures, they only have to sign in the presence of the testator. Common practice though is that they all sign at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

Can someone confirm that the legislative sources we bring in (Constitution , Succession etc) can be highlighted?

LJones18 wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that the legislative sources we bring in (Constitution , Succession etc) can be highlighted?

You can highlight and also underline full words or sentences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

The City Colleges night before notes are up.

https://citycolleges.ie/courses/fe1-course/

Scroll down a bit on this page and subscribe, they will send you an email with a link to the notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Booker4

I used the Kelly and Oran Doyle books and tried to get a bit of comment from relevant articles. It is tough to get a full essay on some of the more specific essay questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »

This is brilliant, thank you! Does anyone think there is a high likelihood of two of these 2019 cases being asked for the case note question?

Could anyone explain Callely v Moylan [2014] for Art 15 and the Oireachtas? Did it set out some sort of exception?

What sitting did the EU examiner take over? Was it March 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Property

Are you allowed to bring in the LRA Explanatory Memorandum?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

Property

Are you allowed to bring in the LRA Explanatory Memorandum?

No, they won't accept it when you hand in your Legislation the day before for screening

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

user115 wrote: »
    Equity

I'm finished equity and think I am happy enough with what I am covering, I think I'm just leaving out constructive trusts and resulting, my list:

- All injunctions
    - Rescission
    - Undue influence
    - Trusteeship
    - Secret trusts
    - 3 certainties
    - Charitable trusts
    - Cy pres
    - Prop Estoppel
    - SP
    -DMC
    -Rule in Strong v Bird
    - Satisfaction

If I have time I might skim over rectification.

Do you think I would be covered with this?

I'm thinking of just covering:
    Injunctions (all)
    Charitable Trusts
    Trusteeship
    Estoppel
    Recission
    Specific Performance
    Rectification
    3 Certainties

and then if I have time:
    Strong v Bird
    Presumed Resulting Trust
    DMC

What are peoples thoughts on this? Has anyone heard of any predictions beyond the expectation of Injunctions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Fe119 wrote: »
    Injunctions (all)
    Charitable Trusts
    Trusteeship
    Estoppel
    Recission
    Specific Performance
    Rectification
    3 Certainties
    and then if I have time:
    Strong v Bird
    Presumed Resulting Trust
    DMC

What are peoples thoughts on this? Has anyone heard of any predictions beyond the expectation of Injunctions?

You would think it would be enough but equity is unpredictable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

TORT

Would it be possible to leave out Public Authorities and defamation?

Thinking of doing:
    Negligence
    Hedley Byrne
    Pure Economic Loss
    Nervous Shock
    Professional Negligence
    Nuisance
    Trespass
    Rylands
    Occupiers Liability
    Employers Liability
    Vicarious Liability
    Product Liability
    Limitations
    Damages
    Goods service detinue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Fe119 wrote: »
    Injunctions (all)
    Charitable Trusts
    Trusteeship
    Estoppel
    Recission
    Specific Performance
    Rectification
    3 Certainties

and then if I have time:
    Strong v Bird
    Presumed Resulting Trust
    DMC

Definitely do Strong v Bird and DMC! They come up so so often and are a lovely note q if it suits you. Secret trusts are very straight forward. Presumed resulting trusts saved my paper last sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 2eF

Would anybody have a company revision guide? I can swap for any other revision Guide.

My study timetable has ended up leaving me with 4 days to cram for Constitutional...

Big yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

CRIMINAL

Anybody know if we need to know the sections off word for word? Say like is it okay to discuss theft, burglary, assault etc. or in our own words? Thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

My study timetable has ended up leaving me with 4 days to cram for Constitutional...

Big yikes

Have you learned it off and need to revise? Or...

Have you learned it off and need to revise? Or...

Lol no it's not learned off

Notes are done, and I am fairly familiar with them as in, I've read them a few times...

Edit - In fairness, intense cramming has always been the name of my game

I’ve spent the whole day learning off tort and can’t seem to recall any of it

I’ve spent the whole day doing tort and can’t seem to recall any of it

Tort is being ignored until about 30 minutes after the EU exam...:rolleyes:

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    CRIMINAL

Anybody know if we need to know the sections off word for word? Say like is it okay to discuss theft, burglary, assault etc. or in our own words? Thanks a mill!
    Doesn’t have to be by heart
    Mine wasn’t and got 13 m in all 5 questions

• Advertisement

Did you get 65 overall?! Did you think he was a nice marker?

Lol no it's not learned off

Notes are done, and I am fairly familiar with them as in, I've read them a few times...

Edit - In fairness, intense cramming has always been the name of my game

Ya I'm nearly the same.. trying to cover 3 topics a day until the exam and leave a day spare before the exam.. My justification is rote learning too early can backfire, hard to recall anything from two weeks before the exams

For charitable trusts, is the public benefit requirement not necessary for trust for relief of poverty or economic hardship?Like you need not consider public benefit at all if gift is for poverty.

Also is there a major difference in public benefit prior and after 2009 Charities Act?

Did you get 65 overall?! Did you think he was a nice marker?

Yeah 65
    He’s a fair marker once you’ve a broad spread of the course and unlike other examiners who want specifics he will give marks where he can so write as much as you can. Throw all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Breacnua wrote: »
    Doesn’t have to be by heart
    Mine wasn’t and got 13 m in all 5 questions

Brilliant - thanks for that!!

Breacnua wrote: »
    Yeah 65
    He’s a fair marker once you’ve a broad spread of the course and unlike other examiners who want specifics he will give marks where he can so write as much as you can. Throw all down.

That’s reassuring thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lawstudentirl

user115 wrote: »
    For charitable trusts, is the public benefit requirement not necessary for trust for relief of poverty or economic hardship?Like you need not consider public benefit at all if gift is for poverty.

Also is there a major difference in public benefit prior and after 2009 Charities Act?

For poverty:
    Pre-2009 - common law said you didn’t need public benefit since alleviating poverty, even if just of a family member, is helping society.
    Post-2009 - you need to prove public benefit.

So before 2009 Act poverty had a different standard, but now all types (poverty, education, etc.) all have the same requirement to show public benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Any predictions for criminal? Preferably predictions for essay type questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Constitutional - International Agreements

Whats the difference between being laid before the Dail vs approved by Dail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Constitutional - International Agreements

Whats the difference between being laid before the Dail vs approved by Dail?

Laid simply means officially presented to the house in accordance with the relevant rules and standing orders of the house, and approved is the majority acceptance of the treaty by the house.

• Advertisement

Any predictions for criminal? Preferably predictions for essay type questions?

Omissions
    Recklessness
    Self defence

Anyone have notes for Right to Liberty? pls

Does anyone have something short on Wansboro v DPP 2019?

Does anyone have something short on Wansboro v DPP 2019?

I have it down as a 2018 case? Could be wrong, my notes aren't written very well but this is what I have...someone else may have something better

Wansboro v DPP [2018] SC followed from Moore v DPP which found S.99 Criminal Justice Act 2006 was unconstitutional. Applicant had a suspended sentence already imposed and later pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death. Pursuant to S.99 both sentences were imposed consecutively. On foot of the Moore decision applicant argued that his detention was unlawful. Sought to distinguish A v Governor of Arbour Hill on basis that finality had not been reached, his appeal was still pending. SC accepted this, detention unlawful. As a general rule an issue not raised during trial can not be raised on an appeal. However SC allowed it here as applicant had simply assumed S.99 was constitutional and operated on the basis that it was good law. Can also be allowed where the issue of a fundamental injustice arises or that there was a reasonably explained substantial error leading to apprehension of real injustice.

I have it down as a 2018 case? Could be wrong, my notes aren't written very well but this is what I have...someone else may have something better

Wansboro v DPP [2018] SC followed from Moore v DPP which found S.99 Criminal Justice Act 2006 was unconstitutional. Applicant had a suspended sentence already imposed and later pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death. Pursuant to S.99 both sentences were imposed consecutively. On foot of the Moore decision applicant argued that his detention was unlawful. Sought to distinguish A v Governor of Arbour Hill on basis that finality had not been reached, his appeal was still pending. SC accepted this, detention unlawful. As a general rule an issue not raised during trial can not be raised on an appeal. However SC allowed it here as applicant had simply assumed S.99 was constitutional and operated on the basis that it was good law. Can also be allowed where the issue of a fundamental injustice arises or that there was a reasonably explained substantial error leading to apprehension of real injustice.

Thank you! The night before notes are really showing the holes in my manaul thats a year old.

Thank you! The night before notes are really showing the holes in my manaul thats a year old.

Yep same for me. Spent most of yesterday going through my notes and adding in the 2019 cases from the night before notes, not ideal so close to the exam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caroline Hamblyn

What are predictions for equity & property? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keelfe1s

Hiya.. I've company act 2014 for sale if anyone looking for it. 50€.. Galway city area

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Contract

Could someone explain the situation regarding penalty clauses in simple terms please?

i.e. Dunlop, Cavendish/Parking Eye?

Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Supremacy/Conferral worth covering for EU?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement