Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    I passed it last sitting first time and not sure if there is any special formula, definitely a harder marker than other exams.. All I can think is have a look at some of the smaller topics like quisteclose and dmc, a wide range covered makes it an easier exam, she mentions a few things over again in her reports that people consistently get wrong, some off the top of my head- recent cases for contracts for specific performance Ahmed v HSE i believe, new definitions for charitable trusts in 2009 Act and how the cy pres doctrine comes into effect.. Not sure if that is any help!!

Does the 2009 Act introduce new definitions? I thought the definitions were the same as under the Comm for Income Tax V Pemsel and that all the previous case law remained relevant. Ya from reports it seems equity is a case of really having to answer exactly what is asked.

In the video with NBN they say also to know purpose trusts with charitable and cypres, I must go back and look at that, haven't a clue about purpose trusts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

user115 wrote: »
    Does the 2009 Act introduce new definitions? I thought the definitions were the same as under the Comm for Income Tax V Pemsel and that all the previous case law remained relevant. Ya from reports it seems equity is a case of really having to answer exactly what is asked.

Just meant the changes brought in by the 2009 Act, awhile since I looked at it but public policy and new considerations for poverty I think? Just to know what the 2009 Act changed in relation to charitable trusts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

Is Habeas Corpus still a law in Ireland? My notes say it’s under Art 40.4.2 but it seems to get gone from the Constitution!?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Law000 wrote: »
    Is Habeas Corpus still a law in Ireland? My notes say it’s under Art 40.4.2 but it seems to get gone from the Constitution!?

Yes. It's just that the term is not used here. Application to challenge the validity of continued detention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Locus Standi is a cert for this constitutional exam lads, I can feel it!

Locus Standi is a cert for this constitutional exam lads, I can feel it!

My heart would sink if it didn't appear.

I think liberty is also very topical there was a good few cases in 2019 alone on the topic, Finnegan, AB V St Lomans, AM V HSE and AC V UCH.....like it has to be up.

I think Constit could be okay but then again you never know til your in there. I would think constit inter, locus standi, AG/President, liberty and/or fair procedures and then you have privacy, property and SOP that are always up I'm kinda bit slow to do more but very worried I'll regret it if I don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

My heart would sink if it didn't appear.

I think liberty is also very topical there was a good few cases in 2019 alone on the topic, Finnegan, AB V St Lomans, AM V HSE and AC V UCH.....like it has to be up.

I think Constit could be okay but then again you never know til your in there. I would think constit inter, locus standi, AG/President, liberty and/or fair procedures and then you have privacy, property and SOP that are always up I'm kinda bit slow to do more but very worried I'll regret it if I don't...

Are you thinking Con interp and AG/President to both come up?

Is fair procedures the same as trial in due course of law!?

Law000 wrote: »
    Is fair procedures the same as trial in due course of law!?

No, they're separate topics. 2 main principles are audi alterem partem and nemo iudex causa sua, sometimes it's called natural justice in the manuals.

Key case is Shatter v Guerin, also P v Minister for Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Does anyone have any up to date notes on Liberty they would be willing to share?

I can trade you my 14 page final notes on Constitutional!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

What are people covering/predicting for Criminal? A much larger course than it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

tommyq94 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any up to date notes on Liberty they would be willing to share?

I can trade you my 14 page final notes on Constitutional!

pm'd you there

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

EQUITY

In rescission, has Misrep, Mistake or Improvidence ever come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Anyone have the October exam papers for Equity, Company, EU and Tort? Got a lot of notes, sample answers etc for most of the subjects so can send plenty of stuff back to people. Any help is appreciated!

Still looking, just a little more desperate now :( Can anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

send me ur email

• Advertisement

I only have tort out of those, pm me your email and I'll send it on

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

What are people covering/predicting for Criminal? A much larger course than it seems!

Cover basically everything but remember you only need the key cases/legislation, this has been repeatedly stated in the examiner's reports - also make sure you highlight the cases/legislation at the end of the exam on the day.

You could potentially leave out the courts question - as that usually only appears as one question by itself.

I'd say you could leave out inchoate, if I remember right that featured in 2 questions on the last sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

I have company if you DM me your email :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Has anyone a sample answer for Adverse Possession, an essay on reforms please?

Still looking for this please if anyone could help me out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CDarrall

Hiya, does anyone have notes on the AG & President? Can swap for other notes/ grids etc. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Still looking for this please if anyone could help me out?

I would focus on Pye decision and contrast Ire with Uk more so than LRC reform as they were put to sleep with Pye decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Would anyone have list of topics that came up for company in october 2019 please? Whether it was a PQ or EQ! Don't have the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Question on Non-Fatal Offences!

2018’s DPP v Browne overruled DPP v Dolny to say that assault causing harm DOES build on s2 NFOATPA97, and therefore require lack of consent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PerryMason2020

I'm leaving out detention, bail etc. Just can't face covering it. If I have time Wed I might look it over, but I'm focusing on offences and defences.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Question on Non-Fatal Offences!

2018’s DPP v Browne overruled DPP v Dolny to say that assault causing harm DOES build on s2 NFOATPA97, and therefore require lack of consent?

Yes Brown did overrule Donly.

Consent must have been 1. freely given 2. for a lawful purpose.

Consent in Browne was freely given but not for a lawful purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    Yes Brown did overrule Donly.

Consent must have been 1. freely given 2. for a lawful purpose.

Consent in Browne was freely given but not for a lawful purpose.

Perfect thanks!

Anyone else flip-flopping between absolutely freaking out, and then thinking it's actually grand, and then freaking out again? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

Anyone else flip-flopping between absolutely freaking out, and then thinking it's actually grand, and then freaking out again? :D
    Yes, I feel that kind of way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Me at 9AM: OH **** OH **** OH ****
    Me at 12PM: I think I'll go to the pub for a nice toasty...
    Me at 3PM: OH **** OH **** OH ****

Stay tuned for 6PM...

• Advertisement

Anyone know what Family Q came up last?

On fair procedures my notes are a bit mixed up on Goodman v Hamilton 2, was the ruling here that tribunal must uphold fair procedures if it impacts someones goodname and in such circumstances then Dail priviliedge gives way to fair procedures and Dail must disclose that info relating to good name of someone?

I'm so confused, any help would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

ME

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Suzannec

Law1997 wrote: »
    ME

Also me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Become-a-Solicitor/FE-1-Exam/#coronavirus

No plans to cancel exams due to coronavirus ..... damn will I have to study now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shambles2020

For Property I have Adverse Possession, Co-Ownership, Construction of a will, Creation of a will, Easements, Estoppel Licences, Family Home, Finding, Mortgages, Rights of Residence and Succession ready to go. Will I be sorted?

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Become-a-Solicitor/FE-1-Exam/#coronavirus

No plans to cancel exams due to coronavirus ..... damn will I have to study now?

"No plans at present".....one can hope :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Criminal

In a problem Q, how do you know when to bring up endangerment, and when not to?

For Property I have Adverse Possession, Co-Ownership, Construction of a will, Creation of a will, Easements, Estoppel Licences, Family Home, Finding, Mortgages, Rights of Residence and Succession ready to go. Will I be sorted?

Can't see you have any issues.. I only have 8 topics -Adverse Possession, Co-Ownership, Easements, Family Protection (117 Applications), Finding, Landlord and Tenant, License and Succession same as my friend did last sitting and passed no bother!

Although seeing how much you have done has worried me now haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lawstudentirl

seeking789 wrote: »
    Hello guys!

I am doing EU Law this sitting, would anyone be so kind to share their exam grid with me, would be much appreciated :) or just the very main topics that are likely to come up?

Thank you so much in advance!

Sure, just DM me your email

Remember guys, you know more than you think you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

For liberty are people going with the cases in the city colleges night before notes? I feel like I couldn’t learn any more than the 40 there, just wouldn’t have time to write any more in the exam!

sm333 wrote: »
    For liberty are people going with the cases in the city colleges night before notes? I feel like I couldn’t learn any more than the 40 there, just wouldn’t have time to write any more in the exam!

Tbh 40 for one topic seems excessive.. Surely not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

I’m quite stuck for time now with still half of contract and equity to cover. Is there any topics that overlap between subjects to make my cramming any easier? Appreciate any advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PerryMason2020

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    Tbh 40 for one topic seems excessive.. Surely not??

Yeah, 40 seems excessive! I think look at how many of the 40 are saying the same thing and cut where needed. I'm not doing constitutional, but for criminal I noticed that I had several cases saying the same thing. I've cut a few of those out and will focus instead on any cases which might add something new or go against the grain etc. Given the time constraints, we can't write all that we know, nor should we, so I think some cherry picking is in order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Is anyone else getting upset and frustrated wit the exam papers for Constitutional? It’s like I spend the whole day learning and then can’t even think when it comes to the papers :-( think I’m just exhausted

Law1997 wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting upset and frustrated wit the exam papers for Constitutional? It’s like I spend the whole day learning and then can’t even think when it comes to the papers :-( think I’m just exhausted

I'm too afraid to look at the papers again....Revising is taking me ages but I think I retaining info, like I'm taking my time with it to understand but going to be under serious pressure revising equity in 2 and 1/2 days :( I have about 4 topcis revised in equity thought i'd have time tonight or tomorrow to do bit more but I'd say it's unlikely, constit is taking up so much time.

In Shatter v Guerin is it basically saying that Shatter's right to fair procedures was not interfered with because the the report was not the last word?

I'm too afraid to look at the papers again....Revising is taking me ages but I think I retaining info, like I'm taking my time with it to understand but going to be under serious pressure revising equity in 2 and 1/2 days :( I have about 4 topcis revised in equity thought i'd have time tonight or tomorrow to do bit more but I'd say it's unlikely, constit is taking up so much time.

In Shatter v Guerin is it basically saying that Shatter's right to fair procedures was not interfered with because the the report was not the last word?

Make sure you have the SC case for Shatter, they found his right to fair procedure was interfered with, it made adverse conclusions re Shatter and it exceeded its scope as a preliminary report, must be given fair procedures (he should have been interviewed) where adverse conclusions are publicly reported

How would people answer Q1 Constit last sitting Oct 2019? It's the emission controls agency taking action against Diesel Fuels ltd?

How would people answer Q1 Constit last sitting Oct 2019? It's the emission controls agency taking action against Diesel Fuels ltd?

Non-Delegation doctrine, Cityview, Laurentiu, Leontjava, McGowan, Bederev etc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement