Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shambles2020

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    Can't see you have any issues.. I only have 8 topics -Adverse Possession, Co-Ownership, Easements, Family Protection (117 Applications), Finding, Landlord and Tenant, License and Succession same as my friend did last sitting and passed no bother!

Although seeing how much you have done has worried me now haha

I still haven't stared learning them off , so don't be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alice.n

Has anyone got any need to know recent cases for Criminal?

Such a broad question I know, but all my cases are so old!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Could anyone advise re Criminal if I study these topics is this enough/too much(hopeful) or anything vital I'm missing?

1.Characteristics of Crime
    2.AR/MR
    3.homicide
    4. NFOAP
    5. Sexual Off
    6. Property Off
    7. Defences
    8. Arrest/Detention/Bail/Presum Innocence/ minor v non minor/jurisdiction of courts

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Sitting the exam Cork

Can we drop in the legislative sources the day before? the same procedure as in Dublin I hope.

I need to drop in the constitution for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

user115 wrote: »
    On fair procedures my notes are a bit mixed up on Goodman v Hamilton 2, was the ruling here that tribunal must uphold fair procedures if it impacts someones goodname and in such circumstances then Dail priviliedge gives way to fair procedures and Dail must disclose that info relating to good name of someone?

I'm so confused, any help would be great
    I have Goodman v Hamilton in the Judicial Power topic. Held - Tribunals do not administer justice. Applied test in McDonald v Bord na gCon; No sanctions - civil or criminal; Any findings can not be used as evidence in Court. Noted - only first limb was 'possibly' satisfied; but that alone would be insufficient to make it a judicial function. Finlay CJ - never been a judicial function to make findings of fact in vacuo and report to Legislature; even in litigation, the only facts found are those relevant to the case; Distinction b/w judicial power and duty to act judicially.
    I'm not sure what exactly you mean re good name but in the context of the Courts' ability to intervene in the internal workings of the Oireachtas where a citizen's right to a good name is in issue e.g. Maguire v Argagh and Callely v Moylan.
    Re Fair Procedures: Garvey v Ireland; Audi Alterem Partem and Neeno Iudex in Sua Causa; Horizontal Application; A right that is Case Sensitive; Advance Notice and the right to be heard; right to be provided with documentation; right to cross-examine; duty to give reasons; right to representation; Nemo Iudex in Sua Cause (Bias).
    I hope I clarified this a little. If I didn't answer the question, sorry. If you need my notes, pm me your e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I have Goodman v Hamilton in the Judicial Power topic. Held - Tribunals do not administer justice. Applied test in McDonald v Bord na gCon; No sanctions - civil or criminal; Any findings can not be used as evidence in Court. Noted - only first limb was 'possibly' satisfied; but that alone would be insufficient to make it a judicial function. Finlay CJ - never been a judicial function to make findings of fact in vacuo and report to Legislature; even in litigation, the only facts found are those relevant to the case; Distinction b/w judicial power and duty to act judicially.
    I'm not sure what exactly you mean re good name but in the context of the Courts' ability to intervene in the internal workings of the Oireachtas where a citizen's right to a good name is in issue e.g. Maguire v Argagh and Callely v Moylan.
    Re Fair Procedures: Garvey v Ireland; Audi Alterem Partem and Neeno Iudex in Sua Causa; Horizontal Application; A right that is Case Sensitive; Advance Notice and the right to be heard; right to be provided with documentation; right to cross-examine; duty to give reasons; right to representation; Nemo Iudex in Sua Cause (Bias).
    I hope I clarified this a little. If I didn't answer the question, sorry. If you need my notes, pm me your e-mail.

Thanks so much, that's great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lawstudentirl

niamh1612 wrote: »
    Could anyone advise re Criminal if I study these topics is this enough/too much(hopeful) or anything vital I'm missing?

1.Characteristics of Crime
    2.AR/MR
    3.homicide
    4. NFOAP
    5. Sexual Off
    6. Property Off
    7. Defences
    8. Arrest/Detention/Bail/Presum Innocence/ minor v non minor/jurisdiction of courts

Are you trolling? Of course you’ll be okay that’s the entire course

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

I was wondering the same, also does anybody know what time neptune opens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

I tried calling them last week but I couldn’t get an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Hey guys,

Does anybody know (if they're already up) where the City Colleges FE1 summary videos for this sitting are?

Also, the NB4 notes?

Sorry if this has been asked already recently, I'm just too back to back with study and work this minute to go trawling through the last 15 forum pages I've missed. Aghhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Suzannec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

JCormac wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Does anybody know (if they're already up) where the City Colleges FE1 summary videos for this sitting are?

Also, the NB4 notes?

Sorry if this has been asked already recently, I'm just too back to back with study and work this minute to go trawling through the last 15 forum pages I've missed. Aghhh

https://citycolleges.ie/night-before-notes-sign-up/

Subscribe here and they will send you an email

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Are you trolling? Of course you’ll be okay that’s the entire course

Haha Its a lot I know, but I have left 5 chapters of the manual out, I also asked in my comment if anyone could advise leaving something out :)

Mod
    Pls do not discuss the various courses and colleges etc on this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lawstudentirl

niamh1612 wrote: »
    Haha Its a lot I know, but I have left 5 chapters of the manual out, I also asked in my comment if anyone could advise leaving something out :)

Fair enough. Well done on having it all covered!

I’m no expert, only cutting things out because I don’t have time but I’m leaving out presumption of innocence and jurisdiction of the courts, and only covering classification of crimes and bail/arrest/detention enough to write on them in a mixed problem Q.

I think if you have time it’s ideal to cover everything since the questions are so mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Equity

Am I safe in leaving out constructive trusts, tracing and resulting trusts and satisfaction.
    Any predictions for equity ?

Have still been unable to get an answer when I phone the stadium. No answer from Law Society education centre either.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

You'd nearly be as well to just rock up on Thursday with it and leave it there for the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

Property-Constitutional

What does the trilogy of NAMA cases refer to? I know the Dellway decision implies fair procedures into any interference with property rights but what about McMahon and Breslin? Are they completely separate or do they build upon the Dellway decision?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

Anyone give a run down on AG v Hamilton..I’ve contrasting notes on what was decided so unsure about it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 CarrigView

Contract

Haven't started property revision yet so not entirely sure - is it vital to have the Sale of Goods Act(s) with you for the exam? Haven't bothered to order it and wondering if I'll be leaving myself stuck in the exam?
    From what I can tell it seems to be the same sections coming up each year and doesn't require a word for word quote.

Law000 wrote: »
    Anyone give a run down on AG v Hamilton..I’ve contrasting notes on what was decided so unsure about it? Thanks

AG v Hamilton (No. 1) - SC confirm cabinet confidentiality

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Hi all

Last ditch attempt to get to Blackhall in September. Could some kind soul please tell me what came up in the Company exam in October 2019? Essay or PQ.

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

CarrigView wrote: »
    Contract

Haven't started property revision yet so not entirely sure - is it vital to have the Sale of Goods Act(s) with you for the exam? Haven't bothered to order it and wondering if I'll be leaving myself stuck in the exam?
    From what I can tell it seems to be the same sections coming up each year and doesn't require a word for word quote.

If you’re well prepared you don’t need it but was invaluable to me in last sitting when auctions were up. Got me over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

my brain is melting rn...
    could anyone help clarify how the 1961 charities act works with the 2009 one?
    my manual is quoting sections of the 1961 one so im confused how they work together.

Thanks!

Hi all

Last ditch attempt to get to Blackhall in September. Could some kind soul please tell me what came up in the Company exam in October 2019? Essay or PQ.

TIA

Q1- SLP- refers to holding companies and subsidiaries- E
    Q2- Meetings, pass sanction in three ways- E
    Q3- Restriction- P
    Q4- remedy under s 212 (oppression?) and would answer be different if constitution or shareholder agreements ok'd the conduct- P
    Q5- Table A- E
    Q6 Fixed charges not being registered and charge over book debts was registered- P
    Q7 Fiduciary duties to the company and to the interests of others- E
    Q8- Transfer of shares-P

• Advertisement

Constitutional

When an essay question asks about Art 45 is it general property rights or more social policy considerations? Could you use non-justiciable cases for that ie O'Reilly v Limerick Co-operation? Very very confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Sineaddh wrote: »
    my brain is melting rn...
    could anyone help clarify how the 1961 charities act works with the 2009 one?
    my manual is quoting sections of the 1961 one so im confused how they work together.

Thanks!

would it be thats the 1961 Act is just being used to show the development of the law? That the law as it stands is contained wholly in the 2009 Act? or am i wrong here and the 1961 Act still applies?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Q1- SLP- refers to holding companies and subsidiaries- E
    Q2- Meetings, pass sanction in three ways- E
    Q3- Restriction- P
    Q4- remedy under s 212 (oppression?) and would answer be different if constitution or shareholder agreements ok'd the conduct- P
    Q5- Table A- E
    Q6 Fixed charges not being registered and charge over book debts was registered- P
    Q7 Fiduciary duties to the company and to the interests of others- E
    Q8- Transfer of shares-P

thank you so much!!!

Constitutional

When an essay question asks about Art 45 is it general property rights or more social policy considerations? Could you use non-justiciable cases for that ie O'Reilly v Limerick Co-operation? Very very confused

I sat constitutional in the last paper and answered the A45 question. I said that property rights were the only rights explicitly mentioned in the article and so wrote about those and also about non-justifiable cases as you mentioned though I can’t remember specifically which ones I had. I got a 12 for my answer. Hope that helps!

Why is the Beades v Irl decision listed in cabinet confidentiality on NBN? I saw it went to SC in 2019 was dismissed, from what I read it was about a bank loan and not sure how cabinet conf links in with it, any help welcome :)

Also on cabinet conf in Art 15 are Oireachtas Committee's considered the legislative or the executive? Not sure if that even matter but my brain in melting for all this

• Advertisement

user115 wrote: »
    Why is the Beades v Irl decision listed in cabinet confidentiality on NBN? I saw it went to SC in 2019 was dismissed, from what I read it was about a bank loan and not sure how cabinet conf links in with it, any help welcome :)

Also on cabinet conf in Art 15 are Oireachtas Committee's considered the legislative or the executive? Not sure if that even matter but my brain in melting for all this

Oireachtas Committees are part of the legislative I think, not sure if it matters, the Executive is just the government i.e. Ministers

Beades is in relation to the disclosure of documents concerning cabinet discussions on greenhouse gas emissions, C held a balancing exercise should be done between the public interest served by disclosure of the material and constitutional protection for confidentiality of cabinet discussions. This was in the High Court 2016 case, I believe Beades case was dismissed in the SC in 2019 but that is irrelevant to the point re cabinet confidentiality

Oireachtas Committees are part of the legislative I think, not sure if it matters, the Executive is just the government i.e. Ministers

Beades is in relation to the disclosure of documents concerning cabinet discussions on greenhouse gas emissions, C held a balancing exercise should be done between the public interest served by disclosure of the material and constitutional protection for confidentiality of cabinet discussions. This was in the High Court 2016 case, I believe Beades case was dismissed in the SC in 2019 but that is irrelevant to the point re cabinet confidentiality

Thanks a million. I found an IT article on Beades and was thinking oh another case, it's so confusing when they don't list the names, thanks so much saved me a lot of time trying to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

Does anyone have a grid for criminal that they would be willing to share? PM of you can, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CarrigView

Breacnua wrote: »
    If you’re well prepared you don’t need it but was invaluable to me in last sitting when auctions were up. Got me over the line.

Ya fair, might just get it in case to be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Sineaddh wrote: »
    would it be thats the 1961 Act is just being used to show the development of the law? That the law as it stands is contained wholly in the 2009 Act? or am i wrong here and the 1961 Act still applies?

The 1961 Act was not repealed in its entirety, you can see the extent of the repeal here. Only thing that has changed for the purposes of the FE1 is that the irrebuttable presumption that a gift for religion was for the public benefit in the 1961 Act (s45) is now a rebuttable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Does anyone know if the exam reception is open tomorrow to hand in legislation or is thursday the first day it can be done?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

CONSTITUTIONAL

What do people think the chance of a Q on Unconstitutionally obtained evidence (DPP v JC etc.) are on coming up?

LJones18 wrote: »
    CONSTITUTIONAL

What do people think the chance of a Q on Unconstitutionally obtained evidence (DPP v JC etc.) are on coming up?

It came up spring 2019 and spring 2017, it could come up but I'm not covering it. Could be up with art 38.1 maybe but I'm not doing either, just can't at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Thanks to all who replied re what to study for Criminal.

What are people leaving out for Constitutional and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the exam reception is open tomorrow to hand in legislation or is thursday the first day it can be done?

Thanks!

I would say Thursday will be first day office will be open as it clearly states leave in the day before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Anyone able to confirm how the injunction question came up in October sitting? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

godfather2 wrote: »
    Anyone able to confirm how the injunction question came up in October sitting? Thanks

Mandatory Interlocutory problem question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Here’s my situation
    I’m sitting Constitutional contract property & tort. I have learned all my topics at least once over the past few weeks so am just revising for Constitutional in these days leading up to the exam.
    However I’m extremely stressed and feel like I won’t pass the exams. I’ve only done papers for Constitutional and don’t know when I’ll have time to do all the papers for the other subjects.
    How do people cope in this stressful time? I feel like no one ever talks about the mental effects of these exams. Especially when your JOB depends on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Law1997 wrote: »
    Here’s my situation
    I’m sitting Constitutional contract property & tort. I have learned all my topics at least once over the past few weeks so am just revising for Constitutional in these days leading up to the exam.
    However I’m extremely stressed and feel like I won’t pass the exams. I’ve only done papers for Constitutional and don’t know when I’ll have time to do all the papers for the other subjects.
    How do people cope in this stressful time? I feel like no one ever talks about the mental effects of these exams. Especially when your JOB depends on them.

I absolutely completely relate with you. I'm sitting here freaking out and on the verge of throwing in the towel. Besides the stress with these exams, it's also the loneliness. Maybe I'm the only one that feels like that though.

Just stay calm and dont be doubting yourself. Of course you can pass them, two days to constitutional...you have the weekend to do contract, then a day to revise property (easiest exam) and then a whole weekend to cover equity. No negative thoughts.....you go this!!!!

I absolutely completely relate with you. I'm sitting here freaking out and on the verge of throwing in the towel. Besides the stress with these exams, it's also the loneliness. Maybe I'm the only one that feels like that though.

Thanks for this. I genuinely think the mental effects of these exams are the hardest part, the pressure is just enormous.

Suzannec wrote: »
    Just stay calm and dont be doubting yourself. Of course you can pass them, two days to constitutional...you have the weekend to do contract, then a day to revise property (easiest exam) and then a whole weekend to cover equity. No negative thoughts.....you go this!!!!

Thanks so much. Half the battle of these exams is keeping calm and stop worrying but god it’s hard! Don’t know if it’s possible to revise all and know it well in a couple of days but what can I do now.

Law1997 wrote: »
    Thanks so much. Half the battle of these exams is keeping calm and stop worrying but god it’s hard! Don’t know if it’s possible to revise all and know it well in a couple of days but what can I do now.
    Its so hard, I am also freaking out but at the end of the day, they are just exams and all we can do it put in a good effort and hope for the best!

Suzannec wrote: »
    Its so hard, I am also freaking out but at the end of the day, they are just exams and all we can do it put in a good effort and hope for the best!

So so true. Roll on 2 weeks time when we can sleep and Netflix without guilt! Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Molly347

to everyone freaking out, if this is yer first time sitting these, please just keep yer heads. I know its easier said than done but I sat 4 for the first time in October and was in yer exact position and couldn't stop crying in the run up to it because i was so stressed. I'm definitely calmer now with 4 under my belt but I promise that half the anxiety is just the fear of the unknown and the build up to them.

Someone said to me before my first sitting, think of every single trainee you know - they all passed these at some point, so why can't you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement