Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Right to livelihood

If you are doing a question on this do you try to link it in to say that the livelihood is considered a property right under art 43 as mentioned in Re art 26 employment equality act? Or should you just be going on the basis that what is made subject to the livelihood must be an actual right?

I'm finding right livelihood really confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

EAL2019 wrote: »
    Institutions, General Principles of EU Law, Direct Effect and Member State Liability, Judicial Review and Free Movement of Goods are all almost guaranteed questions. Like I’d be surprised if you didn’t get at least 4 questions from covering those.

To maximise my chances I’m also doing Free Movement of Workers and EU citizenship (come up fairly regularly and tend to come up together when they do) and also Anti-Discrimination/Equality because it hasn’t come up in a while.

Competition is another one that comes up regularly but unfortunately it’s just too big for me to realistically cover at this stage.

Very much open to feedback/thoughts on this from anyone else doing EU!

Doing pretty much the exact same- also left out competition completely but I covered FTPS/FOE and preliminary ref procedure in brief detail.

SURELY we will have enough for five questions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Does anyone know what’s been predicted by the colleges for EU?
    In terms of essay or problem Q I have no idea, I haven't really been looking at past papers for Tort, just the grid

I don't know what has been predicted but it does seem to me to be one of the more predictable exams.

Institutions, General Principles, Direct Effect/MS Liability, Judicial Review, Free Movement of Goods, Free Movement of Workers, Competition and Citizenship are up time and again. If you have those you will almost always have 5.

I didn't do Competition, probably should have, but am doing Sources and Equality.

The usual, basically what iamanengine said up there!

Although - State Aid was predicted by IC. Very rarely comes up though.

Judicial Review was not on the prediction list despite the fact it comes up every single sitting. Unsure as to why that would be.

Very aware that this very thing might have been been said already - Making my way through the last 1000 posts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Can anyone tell me if bail came up on the criminal exam in October?

Nope it didn't, so I think it's well worth going over for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    Nope it didn't, so I think it's well worth going over for tomorrow!

That’s great, thanks! I thought it didn’t!!!! Can you tell me the other essay type questions that came up? I lost the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stressssedout

Is there anyway you can drop in your constitution the morning of to use for the exam? I don't live near by and it's my first exam 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Fingers crossed for a dry day so tomorrow!!

Is constitutional on tomorrow? I thought it was on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Is there anyway you can drop in your constitution the morning of to use for the exam? I don't live near by and it's my first exam 😣

You can but you will not have it for the start of your exam, could be 15_30 mins before they get it to you depending on how many others do the same thing. Had to do it for property last sitting. Was ok as did questions not requiring the legislation first. Not so sure about other exams where you might need it from the get go.

Do you know anyone sitting criminal tomorrow who might leave it in for you? That's what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

JCormac wrote: »
    The usual, basically what iamanengine said up there!

Although - State Aid was predicted by IC. Very rarely comes up though.

Judicial Review was not on the prediction list despite the fact it comes up every single sitting. Unsure as to why that would be.

Very aware that this very thing might have been been said already - Making my way through the last 1000 posts :pac:

Many thanks! You don’t happen to know what they reckon for Company next week too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

That’s great, thanks! I thought it didn’t!!!! Can you tell me the other essay type questions that came up? I lost the paper!

No probs! Yeah so the essay qs were:

'Discuss & outline the way in which the criminal law in Ireland deals with the issue of consent in relation to sexual offences'

And then there was a short problem q which was basically more of an essay, asking you to discuss detention without charge, right to silence in Garda custody & reasonable access to a lawyer whilst in custody

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    No probs! Yeah so the essay qs were:

'Discuss & outline the way in which the criminal law in Ireland deals with the issue of consent in relation to sexual offences'

And then there was a short problem q which was basically more of an essay, asking you to discuss detention without charge, right to silence in Garda custody & reasonable access to a lawyer whilst in custody

Massive help!!!! Thanks!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PerryMason2020

jewels652 wrote: »
    Is constitutional on tomorrow? I thought it was on Friday

I'm doing criminal, leaving con until the next sitting!

I'm doing criminal, leaving con until the next sitting!

Oh thank god I thought there was an error on my time table. Freaking out with constitutional :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

Anyone else considering dropping one exam (Equity lol)? Can't decide if it's worth sitting it just to see or if it would be better to give the time to my two other exams which would leave me with 4 in October which would still be do-able.

I only know injunctions, charitable trusts, trustees and 3 certainties and in not great detail.

Help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

could anyone tell me what came up in Oct 2019 contract?

any predictions this round?

• Advertisement

On the freedom of expression should you mention the right to communicate much or just comments in Murphy v IRTC, I only have a comment about right to communicate in this case and nothing else, should I have more?

Fe119 wrote: »
    Anyone else considering dropping one exam (Equity lol)? Can't decide if it's worth sitting it just to see or if it would be better to give the time to my two other exams which would leave me with 4 in October which would still be do-able.

I only know injunctions, charitable trusts, trustees and 3 certainties and in not great detail.

Help!!

I’d give it a go!!!! Equity can be predictable, even the questions!!! I think you’re more or less guaranteed a question on injunctions, charitable trusts (cy-pres), trustees which you have covered. Go over the grid and try to cover 3/4 more topics, you’d never know! You might get lucky. I think 3 certainties is due to come up, DMC might come up because it didn’t last year and it’s an easy enough topic! It’s very do-able, that’s my two cents!

Help!!

No, do it! You’ve never been as prepared for it as you are right now and you have a good few days to add to what you’ve done to date. You’ll have to do it at some stage!

I dropped one last sitting and have regretted it majorly this time around, I definitely could have squashed it in but it was the panic that beat me. Don’t let it beat you!

user115 wrote: »
    On the freedom of expression should you mention the right to communicate much or just comments in Murphy v IRTC, I only have a comment about right to communicate in this case and nothing else, should I have more?

So what I have on the right to communicate is AG v paperlink in this case just mentions that the right to communicate is enumerated under art 40.3 and Murphy v irtc where barrington j made the distinction between the two rights.

In a problem q it’ll b handy to show that we know the different between both rights but usually the question will focus on freedom of expression.

I may be wrong so any corrections are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Booker4

Can anyone shed some light on Q1 of the Autumn Constitutional paper 2019 - would you approach it from a SOP standpoint bringing in non-delegation and judicial power or is it a lack of fair procedures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

jewels652 wrote: »
    So what I have on the right to communicate is AG v paperlink in this case just mentions that the right to communicate is enumerated under art 40.3 and Murphy v irtc where barrington j made the distinction between the two rights.

In a problem q it’ll b handy to show that we know the different between both rights but usually the question will focus on freedom of expression.

I may be wrong so any corrections are welcome.

Nah, that's pretty much it. It's useful as a feeder line into how there's no distinction between worthless and worthy works as per Mahon v Post Publications mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Long shot constitutional prediction -

1. President
    2. Oireachtas
    3. Locus Standi
    4. Case Note
    5. Family
    6. Liberty
    7. Fair Procedure
    8. Freedom of Expression

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Totally unrelated, has anyone gotten a new Constitution and smelled it? They reek!

Booker4 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on Q1 of the Autumn Constitutional paper 2019 - would you approach it from a SOP standpoint bringing in non-delegation and judicial power or is it a lack of fair procedures?

It's non delegation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Do people bring their phones into the exam? Not sure what to do - don’t trust leaving it outside the room incase

Law1997 wrote: »
    Do people bring their phones into the exam? Not sure what to do - don’t trust leaving it outside the room incase

I bring it in, turn it off, and leave it face down on the ground...I think they might even say to do that in there, can't remember for sure. But yeah, no issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

I bring it in, turn it off, and leave it face down on the ground...I think they might even say to do that in there, can't remember for sure. But yeah, no issues

Thank you so much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Molly347

Equity

how much do people have on the Cypres doctrine? my manual only had s46 1961 Act but the night before notes say it is essential so I'm worried. Does anyone have key points or anything?

very very grateful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

For constitutional, does the Rowland case essentially reform the majority of the area of fair procedures, or does it only apply for cases that are ongoing? I'm v confused

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    For constitutional, does the Rowland case essentially reform the majority of the area of fair procedures, or does it only apply for cases that are ongoing? I'm v confused

Could be wrong but I think Rowland only applies in cases of injunctions, also it was followed up by McKelvey which followed Rowland

• Advertisement

Long shot constitutional prediction -

1. President
    2. Oireachtas
    3. Locus Standi
    4. Case Note
    5. Family
    6. Liberty
    7. Fair Procedure
    8. Freedom of Expression

:D

Separation of powers?

Separation of powers?

Oireachtas = Internal rules/cabinet confidentiality, Kerins v McGuinness and all that which would come under SOP

But yeah they are just wild guesses on my part, though non-delegation came up last exam so I think it might be less likely this time around

Edit - Well they aren't really wild guesses, they are based on his ucd lecture, recent important cases and stuff that hasn't been up in a couple sittings

Oireachtas = Internal rules/cabinet confidentiality, Kerins v McGuinness and all that which would come under SOP

But yeah they are just wild guesses on my part, though non-delegation came up last exam so I think it might be less likely this time around

I'm hoping for executive/international agreenents + maybe delegated mixed in with a pq somewhere, that would be sweet!

I'm hoping for executive/international agreenents + maybe delegated mixed in with a pq somewhere, that would be sweet!

International relations would be a lovely question, I don't have much on it but seems fairly straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Feels like my head is completely empty at this point. Really hoping one of the following comes up as an essay Q tomorrow:

Indicia of Crimes
    Presumption of Innocence
    Recklessness
    Special Criminal Court

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Help!!

I didn't have much more than that in October and passed it. Honestly, you can cover so much this weekend. Just make sure what you do is exam focused. I saw that there's a bad pass rate but I was very last minute in my study and found him to be nice. One of my questions I learned in only 30 mins that morning and got 9/20 for it and my last question was the two part Q3 which I only had 15 mins to do and was completely winging it and he gave me 5 marks for each. He gives half marks as well and rounds them up so really you can get less than 50 and still pass. Just make sure you have Ch/Cy-pres and the other guaranteed questions ready to go. The 12/13 marks you can get for one or two of those will save you when your short of options at the end of the exam.

Best of luck to everyone sitting the exams. The nightmare will be over soon 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Does anyone have any predictions for Company? Saved the worst for last

Feels like my head is completely empty at this point. Really hoping one of the following comes up as an essay Q tomorrow:

Indicia of Crimes
    Presumption of Innocence
    Recklessness
    Special Criminal Court

Bail could be due a run too, didn’t come up last year!!!

• Advertisement

Bail could be due a run too, didn’t come up last year!!!

Yeah, meant to have that too. If right to silence/classification of crimes/right to legal advice/solicitor comes up I'm just going to walk out of the exam hall.

Constitutional

So my final topic cut looks like this

Trial in Due Course, Right to life/abortion, access to courts, bodily integrity, religion, article 45 (though apparently you can just use property rights for this?)

Anyone think that is ok? Don't think I've cut too much but it's hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Hey everyone, looking for Company notes or exam answers on 'LTDs vs DACs'. I had notes on it before but deleted them by mistake and really don't have time to go back and make new ones at this stage considering how long it's taking me to learn my notes :(

Any help is greatly appreciated as always! I can send on notes, papers/reports, sample answers etc for most subjects if anyone is short of stuff as well!

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Hey everyone, looking for Company notes or exam answers on 'LTDs vs DACs'. I had notes on it before but deleted them by mistake and really don't have time to go back and make new ones at this stage considering how long it's taking me to learn my notes :(

Any help is greatly appreciated as always! I can send on notes, papers/reports, sample answers etc for most subjects if anyone is short of stuff as well!

I would also really appreciate anything on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

I so underestimated criminal content- All the different acts are KILLING me!
    Is anyone else staying up all hours tonight!? :(

Constitutional

So my final topic cut looks like this

Trial in Due Course, Right to life/abortion, access to courts, bodily integrity, religion, article 45 (though apparently you can just use property rights for this?)

Anyone think that is ok? Don't think I've cut too much but it's hard to know

I'm not doing any of these either, really hope all goes to plan, fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's horrendous. You're not alone anyway. No idea how I'm going to deal with Constitutional tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Yeah, it's horrendous. You're not alone anyway. No idea how I'm going to deal with Constitutional tomorrow as well.

Thats reassuring!
    Aw i feel for ya! Get through this one first, try not to think of tomorrow :P !

He is such a sound marker in criminal, you'll be fine. I passed it twice and got script back and he gave marks for quoting legislation like just the Act without section number, once you understand the general idea and get it across that's all he wants. In most my exams I can only remember 1 party to a case and that has never been marked down I don't think once you have the point state it and try your best to apply it to facts esp for criminal.

Hope exam goes well for all sitting criminal, it's really one of the nicer exams so try sleep a bit and don't panic too much

For a problem question in criminal, is it essential to state what a specific section of a statute actually says? Or would it be fine to just be like this is a breach of s5 Public Order Act 1994, that is a breach of s6 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

For a problem question in criminal, is it essential to state what a specific section of a statute actually says? Or would it be fine to just be like this is a breach of s5 Public Order Act 1994, that is a breach of s6 etc

I presume if you can, do, if you don't remember then the legislation is got to be better than nothing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement