Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

godfather2 wrote: »
    Any chance you are doing equity, contract or tort? I'll take the love but might need pointers for next three more lol.

Someone posted this previously. I think it's pretty solid assumptions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Any chance you are doing equity, contract or tort? I'll take the love but might need pointers for next three more lol.

I'm doing Equity and Tort. Did Contract last sitting

Sorry, pointers would be

Equity - Mareva, DMC, Undue Influence, Proprietary Estoppel, Secret Trusts, Charitable

Tort - I failed this last sitting so I am covering loads, I actually have't looked at a grid so no pointers there, honestly try and cover as much as you can, I only had 4 qs last sitting and it cost me

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Sorry, pointers would be

Equity - Mareva, DMC, Undue Influence, Proprietary Estoppel, Secret Trusts, Charitable

Tort - I failed this last sitting so I am covering loads, I actually have't looked at a grid so no pointers there, honestly try and cover as much as you can, I only had 4 qs last sitting and it cost me

Did you get close with the 4 qs if you don’t mind me asking? Trying to see what sort of marker he is

Did you get close with the 4 qs if you don’t mind me asking? Trying to see what sort of marker he is

I think I got 44, can't remember for sure.

But it was my first exam and my timing was way off, spent too much time on the first two questions and it screwed me for the rest. You really do have to move on after the 35 or so minutes

Could have bluffed a decent 5th Q on function of Tort but ran out of time. Seemed to be a decent marker in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Anyone worried about Const don’t be, he’s a sound marker. I completely mismanaged my time last sitting and only managed 4qs so got 0 for the 5th q - got 50 on the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

Hey guys. Anyone who sat contract law last october sitting have the exam paper lying around? Can't remember what topics were covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Anyone worried about Const don’t be, he’s a sound marker. I completely mismanaged my time last sitting and only managed 4qs so got 0 for the 5th q - got 50 on the nose.

Did you reckon you had 4 good answers or how did they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Jeremiah25 wrote: »

I did one good q on FOE, 2 ok ones and one very improvised (q on religion in the const and I think I mainly answered on family)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Any hope in hell of a pass in constitution with only 4 answers? I only knew 4 even though I covered 26 topics. Feel like I just wasted the last 3 months of my life

• Advertisement

bobbyness wrote: »
    Hey guys. Anyone who sat contract law last october sitting have the exam paper lying around? Can't remember what topics were covered!

I have it somewhere but won't be able to send until I am home later on. Currently deep in Equity in th library

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Constitution was a nightmare was the question on planting trees a property rights re compensation by any chance I said I would argue that but looked at notes and you cannot redeem taxes. Also was question 2 in relation to principals and policies I tried to bs the answer cause I did not know those two cases :’-(

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

CiaranS93 wrote: »
    I have it somewhere but won't be able to send until I am home later on. Currently deep in Equity in th library

Actually got this sent on - With all kudos going to iamengine

Anyone who was wondering -

Q1 Exclusion Clause/Consumer Protection - S.14
    Q2 Promissory Estoppel/Implied Terms - Business Efficacy Test
    Q3 Misrep, I think, didn’t do this
    Q4 Unilateral Mistake
    Q5 Damages - Mitigation
    Q6 Breach - Anticipatory, repudiatory and innominate terms
    Q7 Privity
    Q8 a. Construction of Terms - I answered on factual matrix test and mentioned parol evidence b. Implied terms

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

I hope you are right! Thanks for posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Exclusion clause / s14 pq

Vague contracts / auctions

Implied terms - asked for recent case law

Essay on mitigation

Pq on misrep

Estoppel was in one half question pq

(All from memory but may help till u get paper)

No consideration and not much by way of offer and acceptance

Actually got this sent on - With all kudos going to iamengine

Anyone who was wondering -

Q1 Exclusion Clause/Consumer Protection - S.14
    Q2 Promissory Estoppel/Implied Terms - Business Efficacy Test
    Q3 Misrep, I think, didn’t do this
    Q4 Unilateral Mistake
    Q5 Damages - Mitigation
    Q6 Breach - Anticipatory, repudiatory and innominate terms
    Q7 Privity
    Q8 a. Construction of Terms - I answered on factual matrix test and mentioned parol evidence b. Implied terms

Non eat factum was in one of the questions I think it was the one claimed as misrep! Because I did it

Non eat factum was in one of the questions I think it was the one claimed as misrep! Because I did it

Non est factum was in the unilateral mistake question I think, could be wrong though cos I don't even remember what non est factum is :pac:

Non est factum was in the unilateral mistake question I think, could be wrong though cos I don't even remember what non est factum is :pac:

Wasn’t a question on its own

Mitigation is from remedies

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Injunctions Definite, mareva in particular due a run
    Charitable trusts and cy pres in some form definitely
    Trustees duties in some form definitely
    3 certainties due a run, not on last 2/3 sittings
    DMC possibly as not on last sitting
    Undue influence as not on last sitting
    Misrep and specific performance as not on last sitting

Just going by grid and last few sitting

Hey nmurphy, Just regarding SP, did it not come up as Q5 last sitting? i dont have paper but thats what my grid says? is it SP and the defence of misrep that is frequent?

• Advertisement

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Hey nmurphy, Just regarding SP, did it not come up as Q5 last sitting? i dont have paper but thats what my grid says? is it SP and the defence of misrep that is frequent?

Yes sp was up

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

CMUL wrote: »
    Any hope in hell of a pass in constitution with only 4 answers? I only knew 4 even though I covered 26 topics. Feel like I just wasted the last 3 months of my life

You could pass with 4 strong answers, I'm sure it came across in your answers that you did alot of work and I think that is mainly what they want a broad knowledge. Its disheartening if you feel it didn't go your way after spending all that time but like you won't know til you get results and worst case scenario you see what can improve. They are extremely demanding exams and even with the best efforts things can not go your way but sure wait and see and you might have passed it

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Louis Litt wrote: »

I didn’t do it so I’d say!!!!

I remember doing an estoppel problem

Just noticed a mistake in the Constitutional paper

Q2 refers to Leontjava v Minister for Justice, but this is a mix up of Laurentiu v Minster for Justice and Leontjava and Chang v DPP :confused:

So in my answer I referred to Leontjava v Minister for Justice and Laurentiu and Chang v DPP :rolleyes:

I'll hardly be docked marks for that?

There was a second part to that question too if I remember right.... auction “without reserve”

I don’t think so..

In that question I also talked about other cases of principles and policies was this relevant or will I loose marks for not sticking to the question?

You will be fine, I mentioned other cases too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

Q2 refers to Leontjava v Minister for Justice, but this is a mix up of Laurentiu v Minster for Justice and Leontjava and Chang v DPP :confused:

So in my answer I referred to Leontjava v Minister for Justice and Laurentiu and Chang v DPP :rolleyes:

I don’t think so..

In that question I also talked about other cases of principles and policies was this relevant or will I loose marks for not sticking to the question?

No way?? I was thinking I couldn't remember what that case was but had Laurentiu in my answer so hopefully that's enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

Can anyone explain Q8 Constitutional!? I went with standing as her rights were in imminent danger of being adversely affected!??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Law000 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain Q8 Constitutional!? I went with standing as her rights were in imminent danger of being adversely affected!??

I pretty much winged that one using Buckley v AG. Massively winged it again by saying it was an incursion into judicial function by capping the amounts, similar to mandatory minimums and sentencing guidelines contrasting Ellis. Retrospective effect not allowed etc. Said she had a right to an effective remedy and this could impinge on that. Think I died a slow death on that one.
    Never thought of standing tbh.

For anyone doing Equity, the City Colleges night before notes are top quality. They only cover 4 topics though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

I pretty much winged that one using Buckley v AG. Massively winged it again by saying it was an incursion into judicial function by capping the amounts, similar to mandatory minimums and sentencing guidelines contrasting Ellis. Retrospective effect not allowed etc. Said she had a right to an effective remedy and this could impinge on that. Think I died a slow death on that one.

I went with the Buckley route as well. Also shoehorned in a bit about the cap potentially affecting her right to access courts (though I think that’s a stretch). I was afraid to leave it out though.

Any really important 2018/2019 cases for Company/Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

I more or less said the same, hopefully should be fine

Thanks for that. I doubt I did 4 strong I was panicking when I knew I didnt have 5 questions so started badly. I had a load of spelling mistakes as well from being so frazzled. I could have answered the locus standi one but just didnt see it. Trying to get back into study now is very difficult

user115 wrote: »
    You could pass with 4 strong answers, I'm sure it came across in your answers that you did alot of work and I think that is mainly what they want a broad knowledge. Its disheartening if you feel it didn't go your way after spending all that time but like you won't know til you get results and worst case scenario you see what can improve. They are extremely demanding exams and even with the best efforts things can not go your way but sure wait and see and you might have passed it

What are we focusing on for contract?

What are we focusing on for contract?

Atm, prayer. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Just wondering if equity is a tough marker?

So much to know and I'm worried that I won't be able to retain it all.

Anyone else feeling like this?

Just wondering if equity is a tough marker?

So much to know and I'm worried that I won't be able to retain it all.

Anyone else feeling like this?

I thought he/she was.... I got 51 on the last sitting and only got 4 questions although I felt I answered the 4 very well!

Atm, prayer. Anyone else?

I’m terrified thinking about it! Any predictions whatsoever would be a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

For the constitutional paper did anyone answer question 7 open justice? I wrote about FOE privacy rights of the press etc as the case was about defamation suits being held in public but I’m not sure if I went down the wrong track and I’m over thinking now!!

• Advertisement

sm333 wrote: »
    For the constitutional paper did anyone answer question 7 open justice? I wrote about FOE privacy rights of the press etc as the case was about defamation suits being held in public but I’m not sure if I went down the wrong track and I’m over thinking now!!

Don't start dissecting the exam too much. Post mortems of the exam rarely helpful. Didn't do that question so don't know. Would suggest focus on the next mountain. Am sure you did ok though, so don't sweat it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He's supposed to be quite a generous marker so I'm sure you'll pick up marks along the way!

Rights of the press is definitely part of it so I'm sure you did fine

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

I didn’t focus on any of that. Just the admin of justice in public cases. With a lot of gilchrist but comparing it to the cases before and med council

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Thanks for that. I doubt I did 4 strong I was panicking when I knew I didnt have 5 questions so started badly. I had a load of spelling mistakes as well from being so frazzled. I could have answered the locus standi one but just didnt see it. Trying to get back into study now is very difficult

I didn't recognise locus stand either and had good answer prepped, kinda thought exam was awful when first opened page but then calmed down a bit once I actually read and thought about it.

I'm a terrible speller and I have seen in exam reports that they give out about my writing and still pass. They really don't mark down for small mistake and nitty gritty things. Once you get your point across and apply it that is really the substance of it. I remember a lecturer in college said you are not studying to be a secretary and have tidy handwriting and be neat you are studying to know the law, once you know it and can apply it that's all that matters. No examiner marks down for spelling and that.

I have so much to do for equity but gonna take a break for while and get stuck into it later, good luck hope the rest of them go well for you and don't let that knock you, it was just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

This thread is saving my mental health rn...

Me too. No one else understands like we do 🀣🀣🀣

quote="sm333;112745361"]This thread is saving my mental health rn...[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

Me too. No one else understands like we do ������

quote="sm333;112745361"]This thread is saving my mental health rn...
    [/QUOTE]

The same here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 User8011

Sorry if it has already been asked and I’ve missed it but what’s everyone learning for contract and company.. the pressure is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Equity

In rescission, is it only UI that comes up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement