Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

User8011 wrote: »
    Sorry if it has already been asked and I’ve missed it but what’s everyone learning for contract and company.. the pressure is on.

For contract im concentrating:
    Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration
    Mistake*/Misrep
    Remedies
    Terms/Exemption Clauses
    Discharge

Any big ones im missing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

For contract im concentrating:
    Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration
    Mistake*/Misrep
    Remedies
    Terms/Exemption Clauses
    Discharge

Any big ones im missing ?

Consumer Protection, big big topic!!! Examiner loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Consumer Protection, big big topic!!! Examiner loves it!

Oh **** ya, i actually had that one as well, that should be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Equity

In rescission, is it only UI that comes up?

Do you mean undue influence by UI?
    Apologies if that's a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Equity

Can anyone please explain what we need to know about the Brussels Convention/Jurisdiction of Courts Act 1998 in relation to Mareva injunctions? My manual doesn't say anything about it but I've just read in an examiners report that it was a really important point for a PQ on mareva that most people missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Reya10 wrote: »
    Equity

Can anyone please explain what we need to know about the Brussels Convention/Jurisdiction of Courts Act 1998 in relation to Mareva injunctions? My manual doesn't say anything about it but I've just read in an examiners report that it was a really important point for a PQ on mareva that most people missed

I think it's transnational litigation? An agreement, whereby orders can be enforced, actions started etc in other jurisdictions. If a plaintiff in Spain wants to litigate against a party in ireland but is unable to serve papers, they can do so through the irish courts and vice versa. Effectively international force given to mareva injunction. So assets in another jurisdiction can be frozen to protect right of recovery. Obviously will only apply to signatories of the convention.

Hoping someone else can confirm if I am on the right track. Didn't even consider this would be an angle so thanks for the heads up.

Could you send me a copy of that question please, not come across it. Have some notes on it I can dig out. Think the other name is laguno, or luguno convention.2007?

godfather2 wrote: »
    I think it's transnational litigation? An agreement, whereby orders can be enforced, actions started etc in other jurisdictions. If a plaintiff in Spain wants to litigate against a party in ireland but is unable to serve papers, they can do so through the irish courts and vice versa. Effectively international force given to mareva injunction. So assets in another jurisdiction can be frozen to protect right of recovery. Obviously will only apply to signatories of the convention.

Hoping someone else can confirm if I am on the right track. Didn't even consider this would be an angle so thanks for the heads up.

Could you send me a copy of that question please, not come across it. Have some notes on it I can dig out. Think the other name is laguno, or luguno convention.2007?

Cheers for that- Q1 October 2007, it might be a bit out of date as I can see NBN mention 2012 act? Send me your email in a pm and I'll send it over!

If it helps anyone else the examiner said:

'In order to address this question on mareva injunctions, students needed to address whether or not the Irish courts had jurisdiction to consider such an application, having regard to the Jurisdiction of Courts and Enforcement of Judgments Act 1998. It is surprising how many students failed to consider and/or understand the importance of this in relation to this question. Other than that, students showed a good overall knowledge of the standards required by the Courts of this and other jurisdictions in order to obtain such an injunction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

godfather2 wrote: »
    Do you mean undue influence by UI?
    Apologies if that's a stupid question.

Yeah, Undue Infulence. I know the chapter on Rescission also includes Misrep, Mistake and Improvidence but i'm not sure if they have been asked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caroline Hamblyn

Hi would anyone have past exam papers for equity for 2017 and 2018 please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Worried that splitting my time between Equity and Company will have me failing both :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Worried that splitting my time between Equity and Company will have me failing both :(

I realised yesterday evening my notes for shareholder protection were totally off the mark, I had nothing on quasi-partnerships. Spent the whole evening re-writing them and lost about half the day’s study time. Dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 User8011

I’m the exact same re company and contract, I’m wondering if I’m better focusing on one and winging the second rather than failing both

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Imagine having contract throw into the mix too!! Busy weekend ahead!

User8011 wrote: »
    I’m the exact same re company and contract, I’m wondering if I’m better focusing on one and winging the second rather than failing both

Go for gold!
    Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Imagine having contract throw into the mix too!! Busy weekend ahead!

Fair play to you, hope you can pull it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Michelle3339

What are people covering for company?

Companies Act - Main Changes
    LTD v DAC
    Summary Approval Procedure
    Corporate Authority
    SLP
    Directors
    Restrictions
    Shareholders Rights
    Minority Protection
    Share Transfer
    Borrowing
    Receivership
    Realisation of Assets
    Winding up

Directors
    Fraudulent and Reckless Trading
    Restriction, D/Q
    Corporate Borrowing
    SLP
    Shareholder’s Rights and Oppression
    Share Transfer
    Corporate Authority
    Liquidation
    Realisation of Corporate Assets

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Greentea12

Does anybody have the Equity paper from last sitting? Or even just know what topics came up exactly?? Thanks!

Also one of the law school predictions are:

Q1. LTD v DAC
    Q2. Corporate Authority
    Q3. Summary Approval Procedure
    Q4. Minority Protection + Winding Up
    Q5. Directors + Conflicts of Interest
    Q6. Corporate Borrowing
    Q7. Receivership
    Q8. Realisation of Assets

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Does anyone know what kind of a marker Company is?

• Advertisement

Also one of the law school predictions are:

Q1. LTD v DAC
    Q2. Corporate Authority
    Q3. Summary Approval Procedure
    Q4. Minority Protection + Winding Up
    Q5. Directors + Conflicts of Interest
    Q6. Corporate Borrowing
    Q7. Receivership
    Q8. Realisation of Assets

Do you have anything on SAP/ LTD v DAC?

Do you have anything on SAP/ LTD v DAC?

PM me your email

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

I have typed company notes for th 5 main topics if anyone is stuck ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Greentea12 wrote: »
    Does anybody have the Equity paper from last sitting? Or even just know what topics came up exactly?? Thanks!

Interlocutory injunction, quistclose trust, charitable trusts/cy-pres, estoppel, tracing, strong v bird, Hastings bass, trustees duties...

That’s all I can remember anyway if I’m right but pretty certain!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

What are people covering for Property?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Does anyone have any of the law schools predictions for Equity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

Lcork23 wrote: »
    What are people covering for Property?

1. Succession
    S117 Application
    Formalities
    Spousal Rights
    Intestacy
    Construction
    2. Licences & Rights of Residence
    3. Co-Ownership
    4. Adverse Possession
    5. Easements
    6. Family Property
    7. Finding
    8. Landlord and Tenant
    Residential Tenancies Act
    Withholding Consent
    Deasy’s Act
    Walsh v Lonsdale

Contemplating adding another topic but don't want to if I don't have to.. Maybe Land Registration??

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Hey!!
    Anyone have a topics that are most likely NOT gonna come up for equity, really want to focus on some that I can be sure isn't a waste of time.

Sat criminal, but hadnt given enough study time for the topics for the 4 part que (contempt of court etc) so had very bad answers for them and looking to avoid that if possible!

Thanks

Hi would anyone have past exam papers for equity for 2017 and 2018 please? Thanks

I have them if you send me your email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    1. Succession
    S117 Application
    Formalities
    Spousal Rights
    Intestacy
    Construction
    2. Licences & Rights of Residence
    3. Co-Ownership
    4. Adverse Possession
    5. Easements
    6. Family Property
    7. Finding
    8. Landlord and Tenant
    Residential Tenancies Act
    Withholding Consent
    Deasy’s Act
    Walsh v Lonsdale

Contemplating adding another topic but don't want to if I don't have to.. Maybe Land Registration??

I am doing the same topics to you but I decided not to do Landlord and Tenant and instead I am doing Registered and Unregistered land preparing it as a essay but I don't know.

I am debating between Family Property and Mortgages! Don't know what to do!!

Equity

Is DMC valid in cases of suicide?

Case law seems to say no but it all predates legalisation of suicide?

Reya10 wrote: »
    Equity

Is DMC valid in cases of suicide?

Case law seems to say no but it all predates legalisation of suicide?

Yes case law says no but you could mention in an answer that as the legality of suicide has changed this might lead the court to decide differently if a case was brought to them today

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Property

In relation to s.111 if the testator has just a spouse, the spouse has a right to half. But in a problem Q if you were to say how much they would get, would you say they get all of it? i.e. what happens with the other half?

If the testator has a child also, s.111 states the spouse gets one third. What happens with the other two-thirds? I'm presuming the spouse gets more than the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Property

In relation to s.111 if the testator has just a spouse, the spouse has a right to half. But in a problem Q if you were to say how much they would get, would you say they get all of it? i.e. what happens with the other half?

If the testator has a child also, s.111 states the spouse gets one third. What happens with the other two-thirds? I'm presuming the spouse gets more than the child?

Did property in October so happy to be corrected on this, but section 111 is basically in substitution of what you got in the will. So if X's estate is worth €100,000 but he only gives €30,000 of it to his wife Y, she would be entitled to €50,000 instead to meet her legal right share under section 111. In relation to what happens with the rest of it, it just gets distributed as the will says it should.

I think you're confusing it with intestacy, where there is no actual direction by the testator as to where the money should go. If X was intestate, his entire estate of €100,000 would go to his wife Y, unless they had a child (Z), in which case €66,666 would go to Y and €33,333 to Z.

The difference is there because with the legal right share there's actually a will already in place so that's where you look to see where the rest of the money goes. With intestacy this isn't the case and so all the money needs to be taken by the spouse (unless they have a child).

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Yes case law says no but you could mention in an answer that as the legality of suicide has changed this might lead the court to decide differently if a case was brought to them today

I disagree with the case law, it's all frankly ancient and the courts would most likely take the view that clinical depression / bipolar etc = is a "sickness" for the purposes of DMC and that someone dying by suicide would fit the rules (considering many people with serious mental health conditions do end up dying by suicide - no doubt it would be weighing on the mind of the person giving the gift). I won't even get into Assisted Suicide cos then you're getting into very complicated stuff :pac:

If a person seemed to randomly commit suicide or put themselves in extremely risky life and death situation (in an oil field or something) then died, without any known mental health issues or proof they had none, then perhaps one could say they were not "dying" at the time. My two cents.

:D

What's everyone's predictions for Company? I think he'll put Examinership on again, poor examinership, no love from companies IRL or on the exam. Maybe that is wishful thinking because I like it in general. Definitely Receivership / Liquidatation. I read the posts of the March 2019 paper..... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 User8011

Does anyone have notes on SAP/LTD v DAC/ Corporate authority they they would be willing to share?

Specific performance due a run in equity? Wasn't on last sitting I don't believe?

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Specific performance due a run in equity? Wasn't on last sitting I don't believe?

Specific performance on contracts of service was on I believe.. Have a vague memory of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Companies Act - Main Changes
    LTD v DAC
    Summary Approval Procedure
    Corporate Authority
    SLP
    Directors
    Restrictions
    Shareholders Rights
    Minority Protection
    Share Transfer
    Borrowing
    Receivership
    Realisation of Assets
    Winding up

Your advice got me through Constitutional I think -- might have scraped a borderline pass!! Tricky enough paper. I got lucky with the case note as well.

I'm studying pretty much the exact same as you but I have nothing on LTD v DAC, any chance you could send me your notes on it?

Your advice got me through Constitutional I think -- might have scraped a borderline pass!! Tricky enough paper. I got lucky with the case note as well.

I'm studying pretty much the exact same as you but I have nothing on LTD v DAC, any chance you could send me your notes on it?

Nice one, hope it works out for you. Yeah we got Shatter v Guerin, Oireachtas and Family which was nice. I knew non-delegation fairly well and then managed a half decent answer on admin of justice in public. Very tricky paper though!

Yeah PM me your email

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Lost my exam confirmation letter and wondering what the story is on leaving legislation into Blackhall in advance? I'm sitting my exams there! Could you leave it in the evening before (as opposed to the Red Cow time of 1.30ish) and would it be on the desk before the exam? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Nice one, hope it works out for you. Yeah we got Shatter v Guerin, Oireachtas and Family which was nice. I knew non-delegation fairly well and then managed a half decent answer on admin of justice in public. Very tricky paper though!

Yeah PM me your email

Yeah exactly, the Oireachtas question was key! Sort of hoping the bell curve leans in our favour haha.

Thanks, will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DRMC

Hi There,

I have my notes written and partially learned off for property, however, I am finding it difficult in the succession pq’s when the exam continuously refers to ‘students not applying law to the facts. Would anyone have sample PQ’s completed so I could see how you do them as I am quite scared I’m doing it wrong.

Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

For constitution yesterday I answered the family question based on equality it was the same facts as the Somjee v Min for Justice case. Did anyone else take that stance?

The manual I used for Equity is from 2016.

Is there any really important recent cases I am missing?

Just copping that this might be a problem...

Property

Any hint/tips on areas to focus on within Landlord and Tenant Law?? Such a big topic ahhh

Resulting Trusts is the size of 3 topics on its own!!

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Resulting Trusts is the size of 3 topics on its own!!

I'm taking a gamble and going to just do Advancement for RT

Im gambling with Injunctions and just going Mareva so trying to balance the gamble!

Are we covering tracing or prop estoppel?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement