Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

For the La Moselle principles in restriction proceedings re the first test and Re Tralee Beef and Lamb and Mitek Holdings etc is anyone able to explain the decision with regards to whether the test was amplified with common law principles too? My notes aren't really clear what the end result was, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Murphs122

Are you able to drop in Legislation the morning of in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

TORT - Negligent Misstatement

Am I right in thinking that the chapter on Pure Economic Loss isn't essential to learn if you're planning on doing a question on Negligent Misstatement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Legaleagle37

How did equity go? What came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

How did equity go? What came up!

Estoppel/unconscionable
    UI with focus on independent legal advice in Ireland and compare to other jurisdictions
    Mareva or Antoin Piller
    Charitable - problem
    Trustees duties - problem
    Secret/resulting - problem
    Notes - unincorporated associations, purpose trust for non charitable purpose and can't remember the other one
    Constructive trust

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

If I spoke about proprietary estoppel have I failed the question can someone please tell me?

Jenosul wrote: »
    If I spoke about proprietary estoppel have I failed the question can someone please tell me?

She's a pretty tough marker.. wouldn't worry too much just focus on the next one there's nothing you can do now and no point in worrying about something you can't change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

For Q8? That question was about proprietary estoppel though, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Equity

Answer me honestly....

3 really solid answers, but could only answer one element of the note q, and was very iffy about the second half of q4 (wrote plenty on half secret trusts but the second half of question was out of my reach)

Would this be enough to scrape a pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

The Taylors Fashion case is on proprietary estoppel so you’re right

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    Equity

Answer me honestly....

3 really solid answers, but could only answer one element of the note q, and was very iffy about the second half of q4 (wrote plenty on half secret trusts but the second half of question was out of my reach)

My sister did it last year and she said that was the only exam she came out of thinking she did really really well.. she got 51. I'm in the same boat as you with three solid answers and two dodgy ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lawstudentirl

Yeah it was on proprietary estoppel? That’s what I wrote on anyway. With a focus on unconscionability.

Well based on the unconscionable element. I used McMahon v Kerry co co, cobbe, Naylor and maher

Yeah for sure, that's grand so.

Only thing I messed up on was the UI question, referred to Fitzgerald as Roche and Roche as Fitzgerald :o

That shouldn't mess me up too bad though I think...

Hopefully that is 2 for 2. 3 left let's goooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

CiaranS93 wrote: »
    My sister did it last year and she said that was the only exam she came out of thinking she did really really well.. she got 51. I'm in the same boat as you with three solid answers and two dodgy ones

Yeah in another topic I'd be more (tentatively) hopeful but knowing the pass rate for Equity...

• Advertisement

Well based on the unconscionable element. I used McMahon v Kerry co co, cobbe, Naylor and maher

Oh no, just copping I don't think I had any Irish cases...disaster

Oh no, just copping I don't think I had any Irish cases...disaster

Haha I'm sure it will be grand! I couldn't remember the names of them or facts and just kind wrote what I remembered so I doubt I'll gain much marks there haha

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Equity
    Answered 5 questions with correct info but forgot to mention a few big cases and wrote less then I have for other exams, did write less for equity ?

channing90 wrote: »
    Equity
    Answered 5 questions with correct info but forgot to mention a few big cases and wrote less then I have for other exams, did write less for equity ?

Tbh man Equity is really hard to call in relation to what's right and what's wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

I was the same last sitting, did three solid Qs, one dodgy problem question and then for one half of the note it was a topic I hadn't even studied and had just looked over my friend's notes right before the exam (so a third of a page and probably one case).

It turned out to be my best subject with 63, everything else (including ones Ive thought went really well) Ive gotten low to mid 50s.

So you just don't know with these things, there's no point in dwelling on it until results are out!

• Advertisement

EAL2019 wrote: »
    I was the same last sitting, did three solid Qs, one dodgy problem question and then for one half of the note it was a topic I hadn't even studied and had just looked over my friend's notes right before the exam (so a third of a page and probably one case).

It turned out to be my best subject with 63, everything else (including ones Ive thought went really well) Ive gotten low to mid 50s.

So you just don't know with these things, there's no point in dwelling on it until results are out!

That makes me feel a bit better thanks haha

What's peoples thoughts/predictions for EU?

Ok, so how the hell am I supposed to study for Company now?!

I'm sooo sleep deprived

Ya that’s perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Ok, so how the hell am I supposed to study for Company now?!

I'm sooo sleep deprived

Coffee, lots and lots of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Yeah in another topic I'd be more (tentatively) hopeful but knowing the pass rate for Equity...

I think I had the same last year, 3 good questions and two quite bad only half knew them and I passed so defo possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Does any kind soul have any revision guides for Contract they would be willing to share, or have any predictions?

tommyq94 wrote: »
    Does any kind soul have any revision guides for Contract they would be willing to share, or have any predictions?

Subscribe to City Colleges and download the night before notes

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Did anyone mention three certainties in charitable trust problems

I spoke about charitable trusts but then brought in parts of three certainties

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Coffee, lots and lots of coffee.

Coffee is is then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

No sorry it was the proprietary I wrote on is that a fail? Thank you for reply

If you wrote on proprietary estoppel you are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

You never know with equity. Put it behind you and get ready for the next exam. I've known people who came out convinced they passed it only to be disappointed. The reverse has also proven to be true on more than one occassion. Chin up and soldier on it's not over yet.

godfather2 wrote: »
    You never know with equity. Put it behind you and get ready for the next exam. I've known people who came out convinced they passed it only to be disappointed. The reverse has also proven to be true on more than one occassion. Chin up and soldier on it's not over yet.

She wrote the correct topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Did anyone mention three certainties in charitable trust problems

I spoke about charitable trusts but then brought in parts of three certainties

I did on the same on the October paper anyway if it’s any comfort

Promissory - Usually comes up in Contract
    Proprietary - Usually comes up in Equity

The question was on proprietary

Also do people think I will lose much marks for only referring to English cases on that Q? Question said to make reference to the jurisprudence of Irish courts and where appropriate to the jurisprudence of courts of other jurisdictions. I only had 1 Irish case in my notes but forgot it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

I did on the same on the October paper anyway if it’s any comfort

Did you pass the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Equity charitable trusts
    How did people answer the charitable trust question ? I said the first one was releave of poverty and then the second one could fail due to the club being exclusive but then that the donation to the poor children could be the advancement of education or it could be of sufficient public benefit but wasn’t sure what would happen, mentioned coughlan case on golf courses

Equity charitable trusts
    How did people answer the charitable trust question ? I said the first one was releave of poverty and then the second one could fail due to the club being exclusive but then that the donation to the poor children could be the advancement of education or it could be of sufficient public benefit but wasn’t sure what would happen, mentioned coughlan case on golf courses

Exact same.

Used National Tourism v Scotland and National Tourism v Colgan.

All fail except last one if they can show it involves some form of education/teaching/knowledge as per Re Shaw

And under section 2 has to be of public benefit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Equity charitable trusts

Yeah I went with something along the same. First one for the relief of poverty and second one for the benefit of the commuity. Think Coughlan would be the main case there regarding the limitation placed on the trust.

Exact same.

All fail except last one if they can show it involves some form of education/teaching/knowledge as per Re Shaw

And just realised I wrote Colgan and not Coughlan, oops

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

Exact same.

I said the last one would seek to be classified under S3(1)(d) talked about Coughlan and referred to s49 of the 1961 act re the 10%

It just said estoppel - talked about all the proprietary cases and discussed Alan v El Nasr re promissory

tommyq94 wrote: »

I literally feel its so unpredictable after last year with no Offer, Acceptance or Cons. Protection! Expecting they will surely make a show for sure this year?!

Equity

Answer me honestly....

I failed last sitting in similar circumstances

• Advertisement

I literally feel its so unpredictable after last year with no Offer, Acceptance or Cons. Protection! Expecting they will surely make a show for sure this year?!

I was so underprepared in the last sitting.. Only had 2-3 solid questions and the rest was a load of BS. I still got 50 when I was sure I failed.

I said the last one would seek to be classified under S3(1)(d) talked about Coughlan and referred to s49 of the 1961 act re the 10%

Could you clarify how section 49 relates? I thought it was where there were two purposes present you get rid of the non charitable one?

Could you clarify how section 49 relates? I thought it was where there were two purposes present you get rid of the non charitable one?

S49:

Where any of the purposes of a gift includes or could be deemed to include both charitable and non-charitable objects, its terms shall be so construed and given effect to as to exclude the non-charitable objects and the purpose shall, accordingly, be treated as charitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Did you pass the question?

I did

I was so underprepared in the last sitting.. Only had 2-3 solid questions and the rest was a load of BS. I still got 50 when I was sure I failed.

Aw fair play!! I sat it last year too and was super unprepared too, Got 39 haha, feeling a lot more prepared this year but terrified shel shaft us again with a ****ty paper!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement