Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Also do people think I will lose much marks for only referring to English cases on that Q? Question said to make reference to the jurisprudence of Irish courts and where appropriate to the jurisprudence of courts of other jurisdictions. I only had 1 Irish case in my notes but forgot it :(

Anyone think this is a big deal? Would hate to fail just cos of that

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Highly doubt you'd fail just on that regard. Once you have shown a broad knowledge of the applicable law I'm sure you'd get most marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

CiaranS93 wrote: »
    What's peoples thoughts/predictions for EU?

For Eu my main topics are:

Citizenship
    Direct Effect
    Competition Art 101 and 102
    Goods
    Judicial review
    Institutions

Thinking of adding:

Workers
    Preliminary reference procedure
    General principles

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

I did

Thank you ðŸ™ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

No, I think you will be fine. Now get ready for the next one. Dissecting the paper too much is never a good thing. You never know with equity, it's the biggest coin toss of all of them apparently.
    Get the head down or the coffee on, you've got the next mountain on the horizon to deal with, forget the last one. Does you no good.

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Highly doubt you'd fail just on that regard. Once you have shown a broad knowledge of the applicable law I'm sure you'd get most marks!
    godfather2 wrote: »
    No, I think you will be fine. Now get ready for the next one. Dissecting the paper too much is never a good thing. You never know with equity, it's the biggest coin toss of all of them apparently.
    Get the head down or the coffee on, you've got the next mountain on the horizon to deal with, forget the last one. Does you no good.

Thanks guys, over thinking things. Feel like I did well on the question despite having no Irish cases and my other 4 Q's were all decent, so should be fine, just worrying!

On to Company

Thanks guys, over thinking things. Feel like I did well on the question despite having no Irish cases and my other 4 Q's were all decent, so should be fine, just worrying!

On to Company

What topics are you sticking to for company?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Contract

Interpreting express terms??? Is that The Plain meaning rule, the Factual Matrix rule and the Contra Proferentem rule?

The Parol Evidence rule is there too if I’m right above but it’s always asked not to mention it!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

jewels652 wrote: »
    For Eu my main topics are:

Citizenship
    Direct Effect
    Competition Art 101 and 102
    Goods
    Judicial review
    Institutions

Thinking of adding:

Workers
    Preliminary reference procedure
    General principles

Yea I can't do competition but I know it comes up every year ugh I hate it.

I'm doing:

General principles
    Institutions
    FMG
    FMW
    Direct Effect and Supremacy
    Citizenship
    Equality
    Infringement

Hoping that will have me covered but open to suggestions that don't involve competition

Currently brain dumping equity with a quiet acceptance I've done all I could. Will get it in October, duck it. Getting ready for contract and tort. Two more boils on my ass to deal with before I can sit down easy again. Onwards it is.

• Advertisement

What topics are you sticking to for company?

Focus is on:

5 main changes/LTD v DAC/Summary Approval Procedure
    Directors
    Borrowing
    Winding up
    Realisation of Assets
    Minority Protection
    Receivership
    Corporate Authority

I have a decent knowledge of:
    Restriction/Disqualification
    SLP

Terrible knowledge of:
    Membership
    Share Transfer

Yea I can't do competition but I know it comes up every year ugh I hate it.

I'm doing:

General principles
    Institutions
    FMG
    FMW
    Direct Effect and Supremacy
    Citizenship
    Equality
    Infringement

Hoping that will have me covered but open to suggestions that don't involve competition

I think those topics will have you covered maybe add in preliminary reference procedure. Does infringement usually comes up?

I think those topics will have you covered maybe add in preliminary reference procedure. Does infringement usually comes up?

Think it came up last sitting but just did it because pretty straight forward. Are preliminary ref and judicial quite short?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

For people worried about equity this morning I sat it straight out of college, barely understood half the principles or cases, didn’t know the night before notes existed and still passed with 50 on the dot.

Think about how frustrated you’ll be with all this time spent worrying if you actually have passed and try not to sweat it

Think it came up last sitting but just did it because pretty straight forward. Are preliminary ref and judicial quite short?

They are short and straight forward handy topics.
    I want to add in general principles but is a long topic. I wonder do I have enough anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cowboy123456

hey guys, for anyone who has previously sat eu how hard is it compared to others or has anybody an idea of pass rates for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Equity was actually okay!! Got 4 good answers and 1 okay answer, hoping that is the last ever fe1 I sit!! :) Thanks everyone for sharing on this, found it so helpful, didn't know anyone doing the exams so this was really a great support. Hope exams go great for ye all, hang in there!

They are short and straight forward handy topics.
    I want to add in general principles but is a long topic. I wonder do I have enough anyway?

Tbh currently thinking about dropping general principles because it's quite long. Might take up judicial review instead

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

hey guys, for anyone who has previously sat eu how hard is it compared to others or has anybody an idea of pass rates for it?

Definitely one of the easier ones to pass. The examiner is well aware how broad the course is and marks accordingly. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Oct 19 paper wasn't too fun but generally it's pretty predictable and the pass rates haven't fallen below 70% since Oct 13 as far as I know. I don't really understand EU law completely and it was not my ideal paper but got 61, know the main areas and look at some past papers and you'll be grand.

Anyone tell me if opression needs to be suffered qua member or not? Thanks!

Thinking about taking a case against the law society for making me pass subjects I've passed in College already, who's with me? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

Anyone tell me if opression needs to be suffered qua member or not? Thanks!

Oppression under s. 212 (1) (a) must be suffered by a member but can be suffered in that member’s capacity as director

Disregard of interests under s. 212 (1) (b) must be suffered by a member in their capacity as member

I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lawgrad101

What are the topics people are banking on for Contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

What's the Contract Law pass rate?

• Advertisement

Having exams two days in a row just reminded me that I actually had 2 exams on the same day in final year of college! No idea how I got through that

Oct 19 paper wasn't too fun but generally it's pretty predictable and the pass rates haven't fallen below 70% since Oct 13 as far as I know. I don't really understand EU law completely and it was not my ideal paper but got 61, know the main areas and look at some past papers and you'll be grand.

I feel Eu is more predictable like you can get away with covering 8 topics and the questions are clear and easily to understand. Unlike constitutional where you have to cover the bones of 17 to 25 topics and it is very difficult to identify the questions. The Eu lecturer is not getting out of his way to catch us unlike the other lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

When discussing terms, I've noticed that some manuals/cases talk about distinguishing between "conditions and warranties" and some talk about distinguishing between "warranties and mere representations".

Am I right in saying that conditions, warranties and mere representations are three different things?

Its just that sometimes they seem to be used interchangeably and its confusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

EAL2019 wrote: »
    When discussing terms, I've noticed that some manuals/cases talk about distinguishing between "conditions and warranties" and some talk about distinguishing between "warranties and mere representations".

Am I right in saying that conditions, warranties and mere representations are three different things?

Ya I've them as three separate things..
     Conditions - are terms that are deemed sufficiently important enough grant party right of election, can be used either to end/affirm a contract or sue for damages if breached.
     Warranties – are less important terms that entitle a party to sue for damages if breached.
     Innominate terms – are unclassified terms which are only labelled when consequences of their breach become known.
     Mere Representations - statements designed to induce parties into the contract are not a binding term, false statements give rise to action in misrepresentation.

Lawgrad101 wrote: »

I heard bankers didn't appear last year so trying to cover a broad array.

Offer, acceptance and consideration.
    Penalty, exclusion and liquidated damages.
    Privity, skeleton level.
    Discharge from contractual obligations.
    Termination of contract
    Contract interp
    Implied terms
    Consumer protection
    Mistake/ misrepresentation
    Illegality.
    Estoppel.
    Final three as crossed over with equity.

Basically working through last four exam papers and hoping for miracles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

EAL2019 wrote: »

Think you're mixing up s12/13 etc sale by description. Those contain conditions and warranties.

Mere representation is when someone says something in connection with a contract, which induces the other into the contract. Is it a warranty = IE Binding, or just a mere representation (sales puff) = Not binding

Example - Carey v Independent Newspaper - It was important to her, and stated as a reason for her entering her new contract employment, she could come in later in the morning as she had to organise her children before work.

Question of whether warranty or mere representation - As she had stated it was important, had relied on it and had induced her into contract = Court held warranty and binding.

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    Ya I've them as three separate things..
     Conditions - are terms that are deemed sufficiently important enough grant party right of election, can be used either to end/affirm a contract or sue for damages if breached.
     Warranties – are less important terms that entitle a party to sue for damages if breached.
     Innominate terms – are unclassified terms which are only labelled when consequences of their breach become known.
     Mere Representations - statements designed to induce parties into the contract are not a binding term, false statements give rise to action in misrepresentation.

That really clarifies things, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Lawgrad101 wrote: »

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration
    Consumer Protection
    Terms/Exemption Clauses
    Remedies
    Discharge
    Mistake/Misrep

I feel like its the bare minimum but i don't have time to do more!

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration
    Consumer Protection
    Terms/Exemption Clauses
    Remedies
    Discharge
    Mistake/Misrep

I feel like its the bare minimum but i don't have time to do more!

Ya I've these and undue influence which i doubt will come up.. Could be wrong but think you'd be covered most of the last few papers with this?

bobbyness wrote: »
    Think you're mixing up s12/13 etc sale by description. Those contain conditions and warranties.

No, within the category of "term" there are conditions and warranties. Both are legally binding, ie terms rather than mere representations, but a breach of a condition allows you to repudiate the contract whereas breach of a warranty only allows damages.

Your analysis of the terms/representations distinction is correct but the conditions/warranties distinction applies to all contracts, not just goods/services.

Assuming they obviously have specific definitions in the Sale of Goods Act though (haven't got to revising that yet eek, so thanks for the heads up!)

Open to correction but like 95% sure thats corrects thanks to ahhhhhFE1s comment

Contract

Interpreting express terms??? Is that The Plain meaning rule, the Factual Matrix rule and the Contra Proferentem rule?

The Parol Evidence rule is there too if I’m right above but it’s always asked not to mention it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

What's the Contract Law pass rate?

Changes every sitting but 60% on a fairly good sitting

She looks for precise answers, avoid waffle and plenty case law.

Reports are good and from my memory she likes following;

Terms are a feature on most papers with a reference to RECENT case law

Innominate term is rarely to her satisfaction so it’s asked a lot

Exclusion clauses and S14 comes up a lot

Dakota packaging - getting out of a long understanding goodwill oral contract

Remedies question is rarely mixed with other chapters and worth spending time on

Don’t rely on mistake coming up in a big way

Ensure capacity privity illegal undue influence are known enough for Pq

Consideration I feel will be an essay question or full pq

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Company

Anyone have any clue about Q7 March 2017 (changes to types of securities that are required to be registered)? I could waffle something about retention of title clauses and all sums due and how they probably haven't changed but from the report it seems to require knowledge of s99 of the 1963 Act. Any ideas?

Contract

I've those under construction of terms.. I've warranty v mere representation under express terms and the parole evidence rule.. But look wouldn't be entirely confident what I have is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LawStudent96

As Undue Influence came up in Equity do we think it won't for Contract then?

• Advertisement

Breacnua wrote: »
    Changes every sitting but 60% on a fairly good sitting

She looks for precise answers, avoid waffle and plenty case law.

Reports are good and from my memory she likes following;

Terms are a feature on most papers with a reference to RECENT case law

Innominate term is rarely to her satisfaction so it’s asked a lot

Exclusion clauses and S14 comes up a lot

Dakota packaging - getting out of a long understanding goodwill oral contract

Remedies question is rarely mixed with other chapters and worth spending time on

Don’t rely on mistake coming up in a big way

Ensure capacity privity illegal undue influence are known enough for Pq

Consideration I feel will be an essay question or full pq

Have you seen a consideration essay come up in any other way other than to discuss the relationship between it and promissory estoppel?

As Undue Influence came up in Equity do we think it won't for Contract then?

Ya and it came up in October 2019 with non est factum so thinking fairly unlikely

Tbh currently thinking about dropping general principles because it's quite long. Might take up judicial review instead

So my notes for the institutions are long so I decided to memorise the night before notes verbatim is that too short then ?? I just memorised the roles I didn’t bother with the other bits such as legislative procedures, democratic deficit and separation of powers. Am I taking the piss :)

So my notes for the institutions are long so I decided to memorise the night before notes verbatim is that too short then ?? I just memorised the roles I didn’t bother with the other bits such as legislative procedures, democratic deficit and separation of powers. Am I taking the piss :)

I haven't looked at EU in about a week so I could be wrong but I think when institutions comes up a lot of the time it will ask how the institutions have been effected by Lisbon, and that is inviting you to talk about the changes to the legislative procedures and how that lessens the democratic deficit. Not sure if that is a common question, or maybe that is just one question that is sticking out in my mind!

Sorry don't mean to put you off, maybe have a look at the exam papers to check just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Have you seen a consideration essay come up in any other way other than to discuss the relationship between it and promissory estoppel?

I would watch out for the relationship with part payment of a debt and pinnells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Does anyone have an up to date contract grid? Or even tell me what came up in 2019 sittings? Mine only goes as far as spring 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Does anyone have the October 19 Company Exam Report? Or even any guidance on what they were looking for on the Corporate Borrowing Q?

I haven't looked at EU in about a week so I could be wrong but I think when institutions comes up a lot of the time it will ask how the institutions have been effected by Lisbon, and that is inviting you to talk about the changes to the legislative procedures and how that lessens the democratic deficit. Not sure if that is a common question, or maybe that is just one question that is sticking out in my mind!

Sorry don't mean to put you off, maybe have a look at the exam papers to check just in case

Thanks for that.

like I added a line on each as how they changed post Lisbon but that’s all. Maybe I should just face the music and quit the short cuts :(

Thanks for that.

like I added a line on each as how they changed post Lisbon but that’s all. Maybe I should just face the music and quit the short cuts :(

Thats more or less all I'll have for them too! Main Treaty Articles, composition, functions and how they were changed under Lisbon. Like theres only so much you can really know about them.

For the democratic deficit angle its mostly about whether the Lisbon changes were sufficient etc and whether the role of the Parliament in particular is sufficient, so you'd basically have that covered anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Sineaddh wrote: »
    Does anyone have an up to date contract grid? Or even tell me what came up in 2019 sittings? Mine only goes as far as spring 2018

Just went through the Oct '19 paper and the questions were:

Q1 - Exclusion clause, sale of goods act, incorporation (P)
    Q2 - Consideration, promissory estoppel (P)
    Q3 - Misrep, remedies (rescission) P
    Q4 - Undue influence, non est factum, auction without reserve (P)
    Q5 - Duty on plaintiff to mitigate loss by breach of contract (E)
    Q6 - Repudiatory breach, anticipatory beach & breach of innominate terms (E)
    Q7 - Reform of privity in Ireland (E)
    Q8- Choose A or B - express terms or implied terms (E)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement