Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Does anyone have notes on institutions they’d be willing to share?
    EAL2019 wrote: »
    Thats more or less all I'll have for them too! Main Treaty Articles, composition, functions and how they were changed under Lisbon. Like theres only so much you can really know about them.

For the democratic deficit angle its mostly about whether the Lisbon changes were sufficient etc and whether the role of the Parliament in particular is sufficient, so you'd basically have that covered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iana2017

Hi all,

Any predictions for Tort?? Also, I can't get my hands on a tort grid...would appreciate if anyone is willing to share one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

iana2017 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any predictions for Tort?? Also, I can't get my hands on a tort grid...would appreciate if anyone is willing to share one. Thanks

Would also be looking for a tort grid if anyone can help out. Thanks for asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Are ROT clauses a regular feature in the borrowing question?

They're kind of annoying, could do without them

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Are ROT clauses a regular feature in the borrowing question?

They're kind of annoying, could do without them

I have a feeling they’ll be on the paper. March 19 was the Causes of Crystallisation, I THINK October was late registration. ROT is the only other large section of the area that comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

It's going to be a long night...

I have a feeling they’ll be on the paper. March 19 was the Causes of Crystallisation, I THINK October was late registration. ROT is the only other large section of the area that comes to mind.

I'm hoping for a nice book debts Q
    Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    It's going to be a long night...

Yep, I'm absolutely shattered and I have 3 coffees in me

I'm hoping for a nice book debts Q

Yep, I'm absolutely shattered and I have 3 coffees in me

For FCOBD is it just s92(b) Accounting Act 17, Keenan Bros, Wogan, Holidair, Spectrum?

For FCOBD is it just s92(b) Accounting Act 17, Keenan Bros, Wogan, Holidair, Spectrum?

I also have Siebe Gorman v Barclays Bank and Re Brightlife Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration
    Consumer Protection
    Terms/Exemption Clauses
    Remedies
    Discharge
    Mistake/Misrep

I feel like its the bare minimum but i don't have time to do more!

know the bare bones of capacity - what it is 2-3 cases

know the re with estoppel and consideration

you will do fine with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

SwD wrote: »
    Does anyone have notes on institutions they’d be willing to share?

I am using the night before notes you can get them online if you subscribe to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Does anyone know when the Summary Approval Procedure last came up for Company? Trying to get an idea for how it'll be asked.

Edit: also, LTDs vs DACs?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

With exclusion clauses....

If a defendant includes in its terms and conditions that a plaintiff is excluded from bringing a claim in tort in negligence, is the plaintiff bound by it and therefore can’t bring a claim due to the terms and conditions? Assuming that the exclusion clause has been incorporated correctly...

With exclusion clauses....

If a defendant includes in its terms and conditions that a plaintiff is excluded from bringing a claim in tort in negligence, is the plaintiff bound by it and therefore can’t bring a claim due to the terms and conditions? Assuming that the exclusion clause has been incorporated correctly...

I think so, assuming that it isn't an unfair term under the 1995 Regulations and that it has been signed properly etc. Not my strongest area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

Does anyone know when the Summary Approval Procedure last came up for Company? Trying to get an idea for how it'll be asked.

Edit: also, LTDs vs DACs?

LTD v DAC and SAP came up together in October 2017

coalition wrote: »
    LTD v DAC and SAP came up together in October 2017

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

I think so, assuming that it isn't an unfair term under the 1995 Regulations and that it has been signed properly etc. Not my strongest area though.

If the clause is properly incorporated he can rely upon unfair contract terms directive which states unfair consumer terms a contract are illegal. There is list of terms presumed to be unfair under the directive, exclusion of liability for personal injury is one of them.
    Or
    S.39 and s.40 sale of goods supply of services id also of use but the directive is broader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Kellyg248

Send your email and I will forward to you if you like ...

Hi all,

Any predictions for Tort?? Also, I can't get my hands on a tort grid...would appreciate if anyone is willing to share one. Thanks[/quote]

godfather2 wrote: »
    If the clause is properly incorporated he can rely upon unfair contract terms directive which states unfair consumer terms a contract are illegal. There is list of terms presumed to be unfair under the directive, exclusion of liability for personal injury is one of them.
    Or
    S.39 and s.40 sale of goods supply of services id also of use but the directive is broader.

So would this be under the Canada Steamship Line case?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Anyone any idea what the company marker is like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

So would this be under the Canada Steamship Line case?

I would be more inclined to stick to legislation on that question. Except for whether the clause was specifically brought to his attention and done so before the contract was concluded. I would use your case law there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Hi it’s the worrier again...

For Contract, will I pass if I have knowledge of offer & acceptance, consideration, intention to create, estoppel, capacity, terms, duress, mistake, misrep, exclusion clauses, consumer contracts, undue influence, discharge & remedies

By knowledge I mean I know as much of it as is in my manual but when reading the reports there’s a few nitty gritty bits in problem qs that I don’t have info on, and then she sometimes will ask an entire essay on duty to mitigate loss when it’s such a tiny section in my chapter on remedies.

Will this get me the pass? I feel like I nearly should have gone outside the manual but no time for that now :( feel like I’m at a disadvantage - my manual is up to date but there’s always something I’m missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CarrigView

Anybody have an idea where's handy to park around Neptune Stadium? Don't venture over to the North side so often!

Brain capacity has never been lower...am ded

Brain capacity has never been lower...am ded

Me too :(

Mental that people have passed 8 in one sitting.

Mental that people have passed 8 in one sitting.

I'll never understand how that is possible. This is my first time having two on consecutive days and finding it very very tough to concentrate, reading the same sentences over and over but not taking anything in...would not recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

Law1997 wrote: »
    Hi it’s the worrier again...

For Contract, will I pass if I have knowledge of offer & acceptance, consideration, intention to create, estoppel, capacity, terms, duress, mistake, misrep, exclusion clauses, consumer contracts, undue influence, discharge & remedies

By knowledge I mean I know as much of it as is in my manual but when reading the reports there’s a few nitty gritty bits in problem qs that I don’t have info on, and then she sometimes will ask an entire essay on duty to mitigate loss when it’s such a tiny section in my chapter on remedies.

Will this get me the pass? I feel like I nearly should have gone outside the manual but no time for that now :( feel like I’m at a disadvantage - my manual is up to date but there’s always something I’m missing.

You will be grand. Think of what the average exam candidate in the exam will have covered and realise you will have more than enough to pass the exam!

Fe119 wrote: »
    You will be grand. Think of what the average exam candidate in the exam will have covered and realise you will have more than enough to pass the exam!

Thank you! That’s a good way of thinking of it

• Advertisement

Fe119 wrote: »

duty to mitgate -- there is many cases that u learn for other parts that can be used here - she just wants u to think outside the box

Breacnua wrote: »
    duty to mitgate -- there is many cases that u learn for other parts that can be used here - she just wants u to think outside the box

Are there? What cases from other areas?

CarrigView wrote: »
    Anybody have an idea where's handy to park around Neptune Stadium? Don't venture over to the North side so often!

If you get there early enough, there’s a few spaces there. Maybe enough for 20 cars!

Final topic count, had to cut some stuff:

5 main changes/LTD v DAC/Summary Approval Procedure
    SLP
    Corporate Authority
    Directors
    Restriction/Disqualification
    Minority Protection
    Receivership
    Borrowing
    Winding Up
    Realisation of Assets

Just gunna have to hope that gets me over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

I am just wondering how many cases do you tend to mention per exam question? I know it differs depending on the question itself but for a general problem question on a specific topic, what should the average be?

Also, if you're short on time in the exam would it be sufficient to scribble down a case name beside a test for example, just to show that the case relates to that test, if you don't have time to go into any other details of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

20082014 wrote: »
    I am just wondering how many cases do you tend to mention per exam question? I know it differs depending on the question itself but for a general problem question on a specific topic, what should the average be?

Also, if you're short on time in the exam would it be sufficient to scribble down a case name beside a test for example, just to show that the case relates to that test, if you don't have time to go into any other details of it?

I think the general rule is for each significant and important point you make in an answer you should be able to give 3 cases to back it up, for smaller points one case should do.

If your running out of time you should scribble everything you know, you wont lose marks for it and you might gain some if the case is relevant, whereas you defo wont gain marks for a blank page :) I ran out of time in criminal and at the end I just did bullet points with cases and concise information, hoping i get some marks for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

I think the general rule is for each significant and important point you make in an answer you should be able to give 3 cases to back it up, for smaller points one case should do.

If your running out of time you should scribble everything you know, you wont lose marks for it and you might gain some if the case is relevant, whereas you defo wont gain marks for a blank page :) I ran out of time in criminal and at the end I just did bullet points with cases and concise information, hoping i get some marks for it!

I did the same for criminal in March 2019 and passed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 saphiradragon

Does anyone have the October 19 Company Exam Report? Or even any guidance on what they were looking for on the Corporate Borrowing Q?

Pm me and I can send it to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

CONTRACT

offer/acceptance, consideration, promissory estoppel, consumer protection, exemption clauses, misrep/mistake, remedies.

Think Ill be ok with this?
    Any other recommendations of must-cover?
    Thanks!

Sineaddh wrote: »
    CONTRACT

offer/acceptance, consideration, promissory estoppel, consumer protection, exemption clauses, misrep/mistake, remedies.

Think Ill be ok with this?
    Any other recommendations of must-cover?
    Thanks!

Terms
    Capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Best luck with Company whoever is sitting it here!

I am so burned out! I will have sat every Fe1 exam once I sit company! Now to get those last two passes! Not looking forward to dragging my companies act home as I have the OPW version....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Would I be safe with the following in Property:

Succession
    Finding
    AP
    Changes brought about with 2009 Act
    Co ownership
    Reg of land
    Family
    Mortgages

Any advice is very welcome. #braindead

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JimmyJazzz

Would I be safe with the following in Property:

Succession
    Finding
    AP
    Changes brought about with 2009 Act
    Co ownership
    Reg of land
    Family
    Mortgages

Any advice is very welcome. #braindead

Of course. Easements and LL/Tenant are the only 'big ticket' topics missing from that list which I can think of but you should be fine with what you've got. Especially so considering that between AP and Succession alone you'll likely have three questions covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

Tort

Is tort similar to criminal where the questions are mixed so you can just learn the main tests and cases per topic?

CiaranS93 wrote: »
    Tort

Is tort similar to criminal where the questions are mixed so you can just learn the main tests and cases per topic?

as far as i can see, there isn't to much overlap between topics...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

Anyone have Tort exam grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DRMC

Hi,

Would any kind soul be willing to send me Family Property notes, please? I feel like I haven’t got enough covered.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

Anyone else getting really confused between common and mutual mistake for contact??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ahona

sm333 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting really confused between common and mutual mistake for contact??

I dont know if this will help but

COMMON MISTAKE -
    A wants to sell Corn, B wants to buy ---> but corn has perished.

MUTUAL MISTAKE
    A has two cars Audi and Ford
    B wants to buy a car. B thinks A is selling Audi. But A actually meant Ford.

(sorry if I ended up infantalising the confusion)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

ahona wrote: »
    I dont know if this will help but

COMMON MISTAKE -
    A wants to sell Corn, B wants to buy ---> but corn has perished.

MUTUAL MISTAKE
    A has two cars Audi and Ford
    B wants to buy a car. B thinks A is selling Audi. But A actually meant Ford.

(sorry if I ended up infantalising the confusion)

Sums it up perfectly

sm333 wrote: »

Common mistake is both parties making the same mistake as one another...

Mutual mistake is both parties still make a mistake but they are different mistakes....

If that’s any help! What’s confusing you?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement