Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

DRMC wrote: »
    Hi,

Would any kind soul be willing to send me Family Property notes, please? I feel like I haven’t got enough covered.

Thank you very much.

If you PM me your email, I'll send you my family property notes

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

bobbyness wrote: »
    Sums it up perfectly

That explains it so clearly, thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

Common mistake is both parties making the same mistake as one another...

Mutual mistake is both parties still make a mistake but they are different mistakes....

If that’s any help! What’s confusing you?

Thank you, I just couldn’t get it straight in my head!! Think I have it now

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

sm333 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting really confused between common and mutual mistake for contact??

Mutual mistake means the parties were never ad idem and a contract could be said to not objectively exist - Clayton Love, Mespill v Capaldi. Difference between a mistake as to terms and a mistake as to effect of terms.

Common mistake - void where sufficiently important (great peace). Voidable in equity as per O Neill v Ryan and Intrum Justita

Law1997 wrote: »
    Hi it’s the worrier again...

For Contract, will I pass if I have knowledge of offer & acceptance, consideration, intention to create, estoppel, capacity, terms, duress, mistake, misrep, exclusion clauses, consumer contracts, undue influence, discharge & remedies

By knowledge I mean I know as much of it as is in my manual but when reading the reports there’s a few nitty gritty bits in problem qs that I don’t have info on, and then she sometimes will ask an entire essay on duty to mitigate loss when it’s such a tiny section in my chapter on remedies.

Will this get me the pass? I feel like I nearly should have gone outside the manual but no time for that now :( feel like I’m at a disadvantage - my manual is up to date but there’s always something I’m missing.

The entire course 😹

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Wtf was that s31 question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

The entire course 😹

Sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Law1997 wrote: »
    Hi it’s the worrier again...

For Contract, will I pass if I have knowledge of offer & acceptance, consideration, intention to create, estoppel, capacity, terms, duress, mistake, misrep, exclusion clauses, consumer contracts, undue influence, discharge & remedies

By knowledge I mean I know as much of it as is in my manual but when reading the reports there’s a few nitty gritty bits in problem qs that I don’t have info on, and then she sometimes will ask an entire essay on duty to mitigate loss when it’s such a tiny section in my chapter on remedies.

Will this get me the pass? I feel like I nearly should have gone outside the manual but no time for that now :( feel like I’m at a disadvantage - my manual is up to date but there’s always something I’m missing.

The manual is more then enough and by reading the reports gives you an idea of what the examiner expects. Remember you only need 50 to pass - key cases and relevant legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

The manual is more then enough and by reading the reports gives you an idea of what the examiner expects. Remember you only need 50 to pass - key cases and relevant legislation.

Thank you! 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Someone kill me plz.. What tf is going on with these exams??

CONTRACT

Can anybody explain the effect of Sections 1 & 2 of the Infant's Relief Act 1874 regarding parties to a contract?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

CONTRACT

Can anybody explain the effect of Sections 1 & 2 of the Infant's Relief Act 1874 regarding parties to a contract?!?

Think it has to do with when a person has attained the age of majority??? Off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Company exam was roooouughhhhh

Heard he’s a nice marker tho might have scrapped a pass

What came up ?? Last sitting was grand but sitting before was apparently very tough as well

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

CONTRACT

S1 - Contracts for necessaries - Contracts minors enter into are void, unless:

they can be proven necessary (Chappel v Cooper - Funeral costs a necessary) (Nash v Inmann - Fancy waistcoats not a necessary - Father was able to proof child had adequate clothing and the waistcoats were not a necessary)

S2 - Don't have cases currently, but I believe it's contract entered into by minors incurring debt (Lent money perhaps) can't be collected and enforced once the child reaches majority.

Though I'm not 100% on that.

• Advertisement

I was pretty happy with restriction, directors, realisation of assets, and crystallisation but wasn’t familiar with any of the remaining 3

I answered the s31 question and just wrote about the primacy of the constitution in relation to directors dutues and share transfer before I ran out of time.

There’s no evidence of any question like that having appeared before in my sample answers and I haven’t a clue if I’ll get any marks haha fs

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

What did we make of that folks?

bobbyness wrote: »
    S1 - Contracts for necessaries - Contracts minors enter into are void, unless:

they can be proven necessary (Chappel v Cooper - Funeral costs a necessary) (Nash v Inmann - Fancy waistcoats not a necessary - Father was able to proof child had adequate clothing and the waistcoats were not a necessary)

S2 - Don't have cases currently, but I believe it's contract entered into by minors incurring debt (Lent money perhaps) can't be collected and enforced once the child reaches majority.

Though I'm not 100% on that.

A case for s 2 Marlow v Pitfeild - loans to minors to purchase necessaries are not recoverable at common law – Loans where the minor has already used the money to purchase a necessary may be recoverable.

I was pretty happy with restriction, directors, realisation of assets, and crystallisation but wasn’t familiar with any of the remaining 3

I answered the s31 question and just wrote about the primacy of the constitution in relation to directors dutues and share transfer before I ran out of time.

There’s no evidence of any question like that having appeared before in my sample answers and I haven’t a clue if I’ll get any marks haha fs

Q1 I used LTD v DAC notes and talked a little about UV so actually that should be grand
    Q2. Actually looking at my notes my restriction answer might have been sound
    Q3. Conflicts of interest, my case law was weak here but think I have enough for a pass
    Q4. Unfair Prefs, didn't do
    Q5. Crystallisation of Floating charges - my worst Q, waffled about fixed v floating and characteristics of floating but I had Re JD Brian and talked a bit about winding up and liquidation so might be alright here
    Q6. S.31??????
    Q7. Disqualification, struck off register???
    Q8. Receivership, absolutely nailed this

On reflection I think I might have actually got the W on this one

Onto contract we go...

Predictions anygone? Any topics due a run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Kellyg248 wrote: »
    Send your email and I will forward to you if you like ...

Hi all,

Any predictions for Tort?? Also, I can't get my hands on a tort grid...would appreciate if anyone is willing to share one. Thanks
    [/QUOTE]

I did it October think employers liability didn’t come up and was expecting it cause it was due so it might this year. Good luck.

Anyone think formal and evidentiary requirements and/or illegal contracts are due a run? Trying to cut down but both haven’t been up in a while now...

Anyone think formal and evidentiary requirements and/or illegal contracts are due a run? Trying to cut down but both haven’t been up in a while now...

Not covering them myself anyway! What topics are you focusing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JimmyJazzz

I've been having this precise dilemma myself. I reckon they're both a risk (insofar as they can be) because as you say they haven't been up in a while. Which though?!

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Not covering them myself anyway! What topics are you focusing on?

Topics that seem to come up more or less every year.... Offer/Acceptance/Consideration/Certainty, misrep, terms, consumer protection and remedies would be my big ones.... I’ll throw in mistake, discharge and exclusion clauses then too! Absolutely terrified!!!

JimmyJazzz wrote: »
    I've been having this precise dilemma myself. I reckon they're both a risk (insofar as they can be) because as you say they haven't been up in a while. Which though?!

I’m just praying both don’t come up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Racheljen17

Any predictions for EU Law? I know the last sitting was supposed to have been horrible, so im really nervous!

Can anyone at all offer any guidance on the s31 Q in company today? I can’t find anything online even

Can anyone at all offer any guidance on the s31 Q in company today? I can’t find anything online even

Not a clue. Doubt it was a popular question.

What was the other weird question, the one about the company getting struck off the register?

• Advertisement

What was the other weird question, the one about the company getting struck off the register?

Yeah that was another weird one. Managed to avoid both thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Any predictions for EU Law? I know the last sitting was supposed to have been horrible, so im really nervous!

I second this 1000%

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

Didn't sit the exam this time but this is what I have from last time in my notes!

'section 31 of the 2014 act provides that the constitution is to bind the company and members as if they had entered into a contract

with regard to DACs - section 31 will operate as it always has - to make articles and memo binding as between company and shareholders.

An example of the articles being enforced as between the company and its shareholders is Hickman v Kent Romney Marsh Sheepbreeders where a shareholder brought proceedings against the company - under the articles it stated that if such a dispute arose, it must be first submitted to arbitration. Company invoked - Astbury J found that the articles do create rights and obligations

An example of s31 being invoked to enforce rights as between shareholders - Lee and Company v Egan: articles contained preemption clauses

Must be remembered - the rights and duties which can be enforced by or against the members are those conferred or imposed upon them in their capacity as members

Rights and duties conferred in some other capacity - eg as director - cannot be enforced. - Elley v Positive Government

Browne v La Trinidad - Director could not rely on the articles of association to secure his tenure as a director

Although the articles cannot constitute a contract in respect of such ‘outsider rights’ the relevant clauses can be deemed incorporated into some other contract. This is sometimes referred to as a special contract
    Bailey v New SOuth Wales Medical Defence Union: as a member you can enter into contracts with the company that are additional to statutory contract you have already made with it by becoming a member
    also where there is a special contract that is based on company articles - it won’t unilaterally vary even if there is an alteration. facts: Bailey took out cover - company's constitution provided cover would be given. Alterations were made that gave them discretion to refuse comer. Inferred a special contract on the terms of the original constitution'

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

Tort

Vicarious liability

Can anyone give me a quick summary of Cox v Minster for Justice and Hickey v McGowan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

CONTRACT

running out of time here, would i be better off doing discharge, capacity or terms??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

Sineaddh wrote: »
    CONTRACT

running out of time here, would i be better off doing discharge, capacity or terms??

Either discharge or terms

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Contract

Discharge

What type of questions are asked for discharge and what are the main cases? Thank you :)

Are we covering estoppel for contract?

I’d imagine the fact that probably almost no one did it will lie in your favour in terms of picking up marks

• Advertisement

What are people doing for EU? Haven’t looked at it in well over a week

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

I'm barely touching on promissory estoppel only, so if it comes into a consideration question as a defence to contracts that require fresh consideration, I can write a couple of lines. I have about 7 lines written and one case (High Trees), I might be gambling but I dont have time to cover estoppel fully, just dont want it to screw me over on a solid consideration question.

Would I be mad to take the day off study?

I’ve 3 exams done, EU Friday and Tort Monday left. Honestly could not face looking at notes atm

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

I’ve 3 exams done, EU Friday and Tort Monday left. Honestly could not face looking at notes atm

3 exams!? Fair play! Id take the evening off and your study tomorrow will be better for it, dont burn out

As in this evening? No not at all, rest is important too! Leaves you two days then for EU and all weekend for Tort.

• Advertisement

I’ve done 2 of 4 and have the same 2 as you left to do. I’m under a blanket on the couch, trying to pick something on Netflix haha

I'm barely touching on promissory estoppel only, so if it comes into a consideration question as a defence to contracts that require fresh consideration, I can write a couple of lines. I have about 7 lines written and one case (High Trees), I might be gambling but I dont have time to cover estoppel fully, just dont want it to screw me over on a solid consideration question.

Stick in Kelly v Kelly as an old Irish example to keep em sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Sineaddh wrote: »
    CONTRACT

terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

As in this evening? No not at all, rest is important too! Leaves you two days then for EU and all weekend for Tort.

get rest and a good nights sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lawstudentirl

What was horrible about the last paper? Just from looking at the grid I thought it was fairly in line with the usual.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement