Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

I think if exams were starting say on Monday, they definitely would have been called off. But because they made the decision to go ahead with Criminal and Constitutional they probably feel they have to finish the sitting now

Definitely. With so few left they are probably just pushing ahead, but had they been a week later I doubt we would have been sitting them at all.

Personally glad we got them over and done with now, couldn't handle having them hanging over me for any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Tort

Res ipsa loquitur? We covering it? Due a run or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JCreaghy

Could EU and Tort be called off?

From the Irish Times
    "It is expected that the announcement will involve the closure of schools and colleges and other public facilities and include an appeal to businesses to facilitate remote working where possible.

Restrictions on public transport are also likely, it is believed.

It is expected that the announcement will amount to a general shutdown."

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

JCreaghy wrote: »
    Could EU and Tort be called off?

From the Irish Times
    "It is expected that the announcement will involve the closure of schools and colleges and other public facilities and include an appeal to businesses to facilitate remote working where possible.

Restrictions on public transport are also likely, it is believed.

It is expected that the announcement will amount to a general shutdown."

I’m just waiting on the statement from Leo now

Could they been deemed a public facility? Are the law society a public body?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

It exercises statutory functions? Don't know if that makes it a public body or not though

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

I hope they don’t get called off though I just want to get them over and done with. What they need to do is to take more measures like invigilators wearing cloves specially when touching our legislations. Tables and chairs should be sanitised and a good distance between the desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

It exercises statutory functions? Don't know if that makes it a public body or not though

It's grounded by the Solicitors Act 1954 So surely deemed a public body?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Would be very interesting to see the repercussions if the last 2 were to be called off. Surely they would have to do something for those who were to sit them?

jewels652 wrote: »
    I hope they don’t get called off though I just want to get them over and done with. What they need to do is to take more measures like invigilators wearing cloves specially when touching our legislations. Tables and chairs should be sanitised and a good distance between the desks.

Personally, I don't think I could concentrate in the exam if I heard people coughing. I'll still go if they're on, but hey, I could just be looking for an excuse for myself.

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't think I could concentrate in the exam if I heard people coughing. I'll still go if they're on, but hey, I could just be looking for an excuse for myself.

There was people coughing during the Company exam and definitely was a small bit off putting haha

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Leo just announced that mass gatherings of +100 people should be cancelled.

SwD wrote: »
    Leo just announced that mass gatherings of +100 people should be cancelled.

We’ll have to just keep working until we hear from the Law Society. I wouldn’t be surprised if they proceed.

Anyone tried ringing them?

We won’t hear for a few hours if we hear anything at all. With the measures having just been announced they’ll be deciding themselves for a while I’d say. Have you tried?

Leo said all schools and colleges to close. What's the story so?

Odds on the law society having 99 people per room to avoid the "indoor gatherings of 100 people"? :D

If they cancel they’ll probably let us know later on. But I doubt it.

We won’t hear for a few hours if we hear anything at all. With the measures having just been announced they’ll be deciding themselves for a while I’d say. Have you tried?

Fair point. I did but no answer as you might expect

Fair point. I did but no answer as you might expect

Like they surely can't go ahead when the government is telling them not to? Also examiners having to correct papers from 100's of people who have no doubt been coughing and sneezing and sweating over

• Advertisement

I would suggest everyone keep plugging away at the study anyway until we hear something from the law society

I would suggest everyone keep plugging away at the study anyway until we hear something from the law society

Makes it a tad harder to study though!!

I wonder is there an obligation on the Red Cow to call it off since it is their facility and they're providing a venue for over 100 people. Anyone staying there able to ask?

I just rang the law society and they said they don’t know yet, but they will email and put it on their website once they have made a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

Just asked at the legislation drop off desk and they had no idea what was going on. They said communication from the Law Society will be in whatever manner they’ve communicated with us before - so likely by email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Surely exams will go ahead?
    Would have huge knock on for anyone starting traineeships in the next month or so!

Auntomatic passes please haha

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Hah, was coming on to spread the news re. the banning of gatherings and saw yez were all over it before the news properly broke :P

Recent article for anyone who's interested https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0312/1121820-coronavirus/

I wouldn't bury the books just yet. I'd imagine if it was going ahead, the numbers would just be more spread out

JCormac wrote: »
    Hah, was coming on to spread the news re. the banning of gatherings and saw yez were all over it before the news properly broke :P

Recent article for anyone who's interested https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0312/1121820-coronavirus/

I wouldn't bury the books just yet. I'd imagine if it was going ahead, the numbers would just be more spread out

Exaclty what I was thinking too, less people per room etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

If candidates get sick from sitting an exam the law society will have a lot to answer

• Advertisement

Jeremiah25 wrote: »

Still, the throngs of people strewn about the red cow in the hours before etc, hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Breacnua wrote: »
    If candidates get sick from sitting an exam the law society will have a lot to answer

And a bunch of future lawyers not people you wana mess with haha

I really want the exams to go ahead to get them out of the way...but at the same time it is a massive decision to make if they go ahead with them.

Literally going against the advice of the Taoiseach, and people could actually die as a result. It's mad. I'm sure we would all be fine as we are probably all relatively young, but if it spread around red cow and then I land home to my poor old granny?!

I'm kind of freaking out now!!

And a bunch of future lawyers not people you wana mess with haha

Theres def owe a duty of care towards us and the standard of care would be breached and establish a causal link between their failure to close and contraction of the Corona virus.

They may as well just give me a the pass for tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Greentea12

Jeremiah25 wrote: »

Even with this, the exam halls are completely enclosed spaces with not much in the way of windows etc (at least in Red Cow) - many of the invigilators are elderly and thus at higher risk, wouldn't be surprised if they were pressuring the Law Society to postpone.

Whatever happens, it is really hard to study atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Can't concentrate on study at all! We need a statement from the Law Society asap

CiaranS93 wrote: »
    Theres def owe a duty of care towards us and the standard of care would be breached and establish a causal link between their failure to close and contraction of the Corona virus.

They may as well just give me a the pass for tort?

Solid logic - 65 marks

I really want the exams to go ahead to get them out of the way...but at the same time it is a massive decision to make if they go ahead with them.

Literally going against the advice of the Taoiseach, and people could actually die as a result. It's mad. I'm sure we would all be fine as we are probably all relatively young, but if it spread around red cow and then I land home to my poor old granny?!

I'm kind of freaking out now!!

Exactly, Im fortunate I just have myself to worry about but if I had an elderly/sick person in my family it would be different. Its not fair people are put in the position of choosing to finish their FE1 or the welfare of their family, seems so wrong! they should set a later date in summer for Blackhall hopefulls in October, yes its hassle but this is totally unprecedented

Exactly, Im fortunate I just have myself to worry about but if I had an elderly/sick person in my family it would be different. Its not fair people are put in the position of choosing to finish their FE1 or the welfare of their family, seems so wrong! they should set a later date in summer for Blackhall hopefulls in October, yes its hassle but this is totally unprecedented

I also want the exams to go ahead, I’m due to start training in May, but I agree with you - the bigger picture is more important here.

Looks like EU has escaped my clutches once more

• Advertisement

On top of this basketball Ireland has recommended ceasing all activity there so Neptune basketball club should be closed?

Multiple people coughing without basic cough etiquette in exam hall - especially in equity on Monday I found

Very nervous of these going ahead and very hard to study!

Just dropped off the act. Tomorrow and Monday exams still on. They apparently got confirmation.

Just dropped off the act. Tomorrow and Monday exams still on. They apparently got confirmation.

Really don’t know how they can justify going against advice of government
    Press conference advising people to cancel weddings and we’re still being put in a stuffy room with hundreds of others

Shows how greedy they are!

I think that is an awful decision. What is happening in Italy won't be longing happening here when organisations make decisions like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

Sineaddh wrote: »
    Really don’t know how they can justify going against advice of government
    Press conference advising people to cancel weddings and we’re still being put in a stuffy room with hundreds of others

Amen. There is a serious lack of logic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Jesus.

I think another petition needs to start like in 2014 when they moved exams forward by weeks

Breacnua wrote: »
    I think another petition needs to start like in 2014 when they moved exams forward by weeks

I think thats a great idea

FE1's going ahead but there will be another date in the summer if you don't want to sit. Apparently

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement