Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Breacnua wrote: »
    October

The fact the email states "we will also provide an additional sitting suggests that it will be in addition to the October sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

CiaranS93 wrote: »
    Anyone going to email them back?

I don’t think so tbh.
    I don’t know how to make this decision. No information on when the alternative sitting would be is too vague.
    Understand it’s an evolving situation but that’s why they had the responsibility to make the right decision and I don’t feel they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Greentea12 wrote: »
    Tried calling the number in the email but it doesn't even ring..

Keep ringing

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

For what it's worth - for those of you who feel like getting a result in tort or EU has something hanging in the balance for it - it's extremely unlikely you're going to look back 20 years from now and say "I'm sure glad I crammed that evening and sat EU law the morning after an education lockdown was imposed by the government."

Greentea12 wrote: »
    Tried calling the number in the email but it doesn't even ring..

What are you looking to find out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

Sineaddh wrote: »
    I’m extremely angry at their response!
    A blanket decision would have been better for all
    My dad is 68.. how do I choose between sitting an exam and possibly risking infection!?

I agree 100% blanket decision.
    The person behind me yesterday coughed and spluttered through the entire exam.

And the words in email “alternatively, for those candidates who are uncomfortable with sitting an examination in the current environment”

Such a poor choice of words....why would I want risk getting my ageing parents sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bobsyourbrief

October

I don't think it would be October, there's a bracket of people that are on their final sitting and will need to pass before then for the sake of their traineeship and such. If it wasn't re-scheduled and simply void because a candidate decided to put their health over an examination during a pandemic, that would be nothing short of scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

I really do not want to delay. However am very cognizant that I also have a responsibility to not put family members and myself at risk for the sake of an exam.
    Torn but, I think I need to not think of myself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Ive lost two hours of vital study my head is thumping, am I taking a risk going in under the circumstances. Very hard to studying in an evolving situation or am I risking not going in will there even be a another option to sit and if so when? Will students be sitting a harder exam if choose to sit the next as had more time? If You attend tomorrow and perform poorly will they take it into account.So many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

For what it's worth - for those of you who feel like getting a result in tort or EU has something hanging in the balance for it - it's extremely unlikely you're going to look back 20 years from now and say "I'm sure glad I crammed that evening and sat EU law the morning after an education lockdown was imposed by the government."

Its not about maximising the result, its about being done tomorrow and being able to relax and enjoy my summer vs potentially still studying and stressing in June.

These exams have such an impact on people's mental health, its very reasonable for people to want to get them over with :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Greentea12

What are you looking to find out?

Really just whether there is even a specific month in mind for the extra sitting - would need to know if it impacts my TC start date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I was told this

Where did you hear this? "In the coming months" does not imply October. I'm supposed to be going to Blackhall in October ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

Putting this decision on a student th day before an exam is criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lawgrad101

I don’t see how taking tomorrow or Monday’s exam is any different from sitting the previous ones. We were already at risk and there will be more precautions in place (hopefully) now.

I was told this

Did you phone or e-mail them? I can't get a response off either.

Results are usually released the start of May for the March sitting.
    Surely it'd be before then under these circumstances?

How do the Law Society not have a cancelation protocol in place? I'm aware it's incredibly rare, but the possibility alone should mean they have these things planned for re-sittings in exceptional circumstances all ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

EAL2019 wrote: »
    Its not about maximising the result, its about being done tomorrow and being able to relax and enjoy my summer vs potentially still studying and stressing in June.

These exams have such an impact on people's mental health, its very reasonable for people to want to get them over with :(

Yes it is reasonable to want the exams over. It’s equally reasonable to be very concerned about spreading a virus to vulnerable people who may not be equipped to fight it. The law society should not have left this decision to students.

Did you phone or e-mail them? I can't get a response off either.

Results are usually released the start of May for the March sitting.
    Surely it'd be before then under these circumstances?

How do the Law Society not have a cancelation protocol in place? I'm aware it's incredibly rare, but the possibility alone should mean they have these things planned for re-sittings in exceptional circumstances all ready to go.

Phone

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JCreaghy

Guess we're guaranteed a question on movement being restricted due to health concerns in the rescheduled EU sittings haha

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Has anyone made a decision yet? I'm leaning toward resitting and would love to know if anybody else is too?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

I replied, I’m sitting.

• Advertisement

Has anyone made a decision yet? I'm leaning toward resitting and would love to know if anybody else is too?

I have plans in th summer and it would be a mare if they were rescheduled for the same time. Could probably do with an extra few weeks but what if it isn't scheduled until October? Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I honestly can't decide, I'm trying to figure out what the right call is but it seems neither call is the right call

I think exams should be boycotted

Let them set exams in few weeks time

With 50 in a room well spread out and all surfaces disinfected !!!!

Let’s unite and take control

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

Did people sitting their exams in cork get an email yet I haven’t received any?

I am prepped for Monday, would love to get them out of the way.

However, if I brought something home to family members because I wanted exams over and done with it, I don't think I could deal with it. It's an exam, health is wealth and all that. Killing me to do it but am going for summer.

Being asked to be responsible here for other peoples health, I can't ignore it. Too serious for some people if the spread is not contained.
    I am out guys.

To all who decide to sit anyway, respect your choice and the best of luck in more ways than one.

Thanks for all the banter here and help in the run up to the other exams, much appreciated.

I'm not sitting, just mentioning it for people on the fence. It's up to you at the end of the day. There will be people sitting tomorrow and people sitting the rescheduled date. Up to you.

I haven’t made a decision.
    I need more information.

What happens if we don’t email back and still show up tomorrow/Monday?

Why would they be offering a refund if they were going to reschedule....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

That's what confused me the most. Doesn't add up.

• Advertisement

100 percent agree the exams should be postponed for a few weeks only in a better set up venue to deal with the current crisis sitting the IDENTICAL paper we are due to sit tomorrow not go in under stressful circumstances.

I believe it's so you're not forced to sit the rescheduled summer date. I say we'll get our money by cheque with a letter of the rescheduled dates and we can just post back if we want the new dates.

Did people sitting their exams in cork get an email yet I haven’t received any?

Ya.. given same option

100 percent agree the exams should be postponed for a few weeks only in a better set up venue to deal with the current crisis sitting the IDENTICAL paper we are due to sit tomorrow not go in under stressful circumstances.

I agree. This decision is putting people under too much stress and can only lead to a disaster if we sit it

I spoke with Victoria

They will try to have sitting for exams for enrolling into black hall in sept but can’t say when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

I’m deferring for the health of my family and mental space it’s world pandemic we’re talking about not just a common cold

• Advertisement

I spoke with Victoria

They will try to have sitting for exams for enrolling into black hall in sept but can’t say when.

So she didnt guarantee that there will 100% be an additional sitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

I replied also. Sitting tomorrow also.

Im deferring because I cannot mentally concentrate on an exam for tomorrow, I am frustrated beyond belief and feel I am making the wrong decision no matter what I do. This should not have been our decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

“ I know that I am asking people to make enormous sacrifices. We’re doing it for each other. Together we can slow the virus in its tracks and push it back. Acting together, as one nation, we can save many lives” Leo Vradkar

Exposing ourselves to a mass gathering a risk we’ve been advised not to take. I’m not risking my families members welfare for an exam that will be rescheduled for a couple of weeks. It’s only an exam. We’re ready to go. A little bit every weekend until the next one and we’ll be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

I am leaning towards sitting EU tomorrow, my logic is I've already been in that exam hall this week so likely already exposed if it was there. I won't get the holidays back from work if i dont sit either.

My study has been badly affected though and I already wasn't feeling confident about this exam . I hate that it's been left up to us but I'm finding it really difficult to consider not going given all the time and money I've given up for it already

• Advertisement

So she didnt guarantee that there will 100% be an additional sitting?

She guaranteed there will be a sitting once the corna virus allows for it - I suppose once the country isn’t on total lock down she meant

I’m finding it impossible to decide... just feels like either decision is wrong

Reya10 wrote: »
    I am leaning towards sitting EU tomorrow, my logic is I've already been in that exam hall this week so likely already exposed if it was there. I won't get the holidays back from work if i dont sit either.

My study has been badly affected though and I already wasn't feeling confident about this exam . I hate that it's been left up to us but I'm finding it really difficult to consider not going given all the time and money I've given up for it already

Other side to that coin is that you might already be exposed, turn up and pass it to someone who previously was not. Just playing devil's advocate, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

I’m finding it impossible to decide... just feels like either decision is wrong

Same. It's like we've put most of the work in already. But do we really want to find out we have underlying health issues when we get ill with covid19... Or one of our loved ones/community

spygirl wrote: »
    Other side to that coin is that you might already be exposed, turn up and pass it to someone who previously was not. Just playing devil's advocate, sorry.

Yeah, thinking of that too. But I have to go back to work next week as well, as I'm sure most people here do too.

It's very unfair that this has been left to us

If there was clarity in when the re-sit would be the decision would be a lot easier to make.

Shame on the Law Society for leaving this decision to us, none of us are thinking straight how are we meant to make a decision as important as this without a clear mind, my blood is boiling

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Boltabb

Not sitting EU or Tort, but I'm not in blackhall until 2021 so there isn't the same pressure. Just don't see the risk, even having already been there already - disobeying full government advice for little upside, I just don't see the point.

Imagine the scandal if there’s a case from the exams and there has to be contract tracing to hundreds of FE1 students!

Can’t believe they’re going ahead

If there was clarity in when the re-sit would be the decision would be a lot easier to make.

True but it's an unprecedented situation and they don't know how long until the threat is over so I'm not surprised they won't confirm a date, can't blame them on that front, just on everything else

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement