Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

If there was clarity in when the re-sit would be the decision would be a lot easier to make.

To be fair to them, it is unlikely they would be able to answer that today. I would imagine it will be rescheduled for as soon as is practicable. April, possibly May depending on how this thing pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

Reya10 wrote: »
    Yeah, thinking of that too. But I have to go back to work next week as well, as I'm sure most people here do too.

It's very unfair that this has been left to us

Ya leaning towards sitting, between cost of travel, hotel and leave from work would be hard to sit them at a later stage, don't feel great about it still unsure

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

It's everyone's individual call, but I'm deferring EU. As others have said, I might be fine if I catch it but I'm uncomfortable with taking the risk of passing it onto someone less fortunate. Also with all the palaver I just wouldn't be in the right headspace to sit it tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    Ya leaning towards sitting, between cost of travel, hotel and leave from work would be hard to sit them at a later stage, don't feel great about it still unsure

There's also that worry that I'll probably fail it now due to the stress/lack of concentration so what's even the point 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

I'm deferring EU tomorrow and sitting Tort on Monday provided the Law Society are going ahead with it.

My logic is that I didn't get a good days revision today on EU and it's (apparently) one of the easier exams so I'm alright with having to sit it in the Summer or whenever. Will just stay away from the mother from Monday onwards.

On the other hand, if Tort is cancelled on Monday idk if I'll get the necessary holiday days to study for BOTH Tort and EU before the next sitting.

Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

On a side note, I need a job from next week onwards, are my chances very low now with this virus, are firms being cautious and not hiring for the Forseable ??

I've contacted my job and I am going back from leave early. So will still have leave to take if/when they are rescheduled.

For me it will be one exam, not two. I crammed all of them previously with only a day or two off before, will just have to do it again.

For me, we have been asked not to attend mass gatherings. Less than 100 in the room on the day. Still a lot more than that milling around the venue before hand.

Surprised the Red Cow not considering this and making the call on behalf of the Law Society.
    "You are bringing how many in total here? Nah sorry lads. We have other clients to consider as well."

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

I don't have time to read previous replies but just fyi I asked the law society when they were thinking of the resits and they responded and said in time for PPC1 2020 (subject to corona virus prevalence of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Is a county council a state authority? I said it was for adverse possession q :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bobsyourbrief

True but it's an unprecedented situation and they don't know how long until the threat is over so I'm not surprised they won't confirm a date, can't blame them on that front, just on everything else

I would have imagined they'd have some sort of guidelines though to prepare if there ever was a need to cancel, even just a rough idea of a month they'd like to aim for so that it might be possible before the October sitting - because there's many people for the good of their careers who can't take that next sitting either way, y'know?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

I would say they will arrange the next sitting as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Sorry for change of tone, i'm ploughing on with my bottle of hand sanitizer at the ready haha!

Does anybody have simplified condensed EU notes they would be willing to share, i'm trying to cram but my manual is shocking! I have papers/reports if anyone is stuck?

If they couldn't reschedule in time for Blackhall, they would have to just give a pass to those affected.

They will organise in time to avoid such a situation. My two cents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

Other people have confirmed already but this is the email I received.

Extra sitting will be in time for PPC 2020 subject to the coronavirus situation allowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emmaslaw17

Outraged at the law society....A doctor just sent me this

The preparation/ anticipation is horrendous in the hospital seems a lot more serious than even the media are putting out. Do your own thing but avoid gyms/ crowds and tell your parents to completey limit any social contact and stay at home.'

I won't be doing any more exams. It's more serious than losing money on a hotel... Think of everyone or we could end up like Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Law1997 wrote: »
    Is a county council a state authority? I said it was for adverse possession q :(

No a county council isn't a state authority. It's a bit mean because they're always the ones put in to see if you knew. I'm sure you wouldn't lose loads of marks for it. Provided your answer on the basis it was, was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

I've just made the decision not to sit. Hopefully another sitting before PPC 2020 intake. For those on the fence, health is the most important thing. Also I have asthma which has effect d my decision. Best of luck anyone doing it

No a county council isn't a state authority. It's a bit mean because they're always the ones put in to see if you knew. I'm sure you wouldn't lose loads of marks for it. Provided your answer on the basis it was, was correct.

Thanks. Angry with myself. My 4 other answers were brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Law1997 wrote: »
    Thanks. Angry with myself. My 4 other answers were brilliant.

You will pass if you’ve 4 solid

Don’t worry

CiaranS93 wrote: »
    I've just made the decision not to sit. Hopefully another sitting before PPC 2020 intake. For those on the fence, health is the most important thing. Also I have asthma which has effect d my decision. Best of luck anyone doing it

Same.

• Advertisement

Breacnua wrote: »
    You will pass if you’ve 4 solid

Don’t worry

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I haven't been able to get any study done today due to worrying about whether I should do them or not. I absolutely hate that they have given the choice, either everyone does them or no one does them.

I'm completely put off now and tbh feeling fairly upset about the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Same. I think il be giving tomorrow a miss, I cannot concentrate with the current events. Really frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

I haven't been able to get any study done today due to worrying about whether I should do them or not. I absolutely hate that they have given the choice, either everyone does them or no one does them.

I completely agree.
    I was stuck already for time for EU and lost hours not knowing, and still now can’t concentrate as I haven’t my mind made up completely.

I feel like a cop out if I don’t sit them but then I feel like I’m part of the problem if I do

I feel for anyone in this position. I have no idea how I would cope with trying to do an exam the day after this.
    If you are set on doing the exam, stay off this for tonight and get the head into it.
    Study has been hit but it is still not beyond you to get it back.

For me, decided not to sit on Monday. I could well be panicking but would prefer to over react rather than under react. I will just get it next time.
    raging as missed tort by one point last sitting and am well ready for it this time. I just can't take the chance I carry something home.
    New figures of infected made the decision an easy one for me.

If it is not contained we are Italy in two weeks time. Being asked to stay away from mass gatherings, so essentially take responsibility for everyone. Finding it very hard to ignore that. My job is making the decision this evening if we are open or going remote working. Hoping for remote working as no wages otherwise. The joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

Tort

Can someone please list the dunne principles re medical negligence?

I have my manual and another book and notes online and they all have a different amount! I have the general consensus of it but just want to double check that I am not leaving anything out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

What did people think of today's Property paper?

My topics came up but the questions were formatted and phrased in a way I haven't seen before.

I knew my stuff but I felt very stretched for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

20082014 wrote: »
    Tort

Can someone please list the dunne principles re medical negligence?

I have my manual and another book and notes online and they all have a different amount! I have the general consensus of it but just want to double check that I am not leaving anything out

From my understanding - The principle is that a medical professional acts negligently when they do something that no other medical professional of equal skill or standing would have done.

This allows for inherent defects in medical practices to be held as negligent.

Cottstain v Maguire - Failure to train someone in replacing a breathing tube was considered an inherent defect.

spygirl wrote: »
    I feel for anyone in this position. I have no idea how I would cope with trying to do an exam the day after this.
    If you are set on doing the exam, stay off this for tonight and get the head into it.
    Study has been hit but it is still beyond you to get it back.

For me, decided not to sit on Monday. I could well be panicking but would prefer to over react rather than under react. I will just get it next time.
    raging as missed tort by one point last sitting and am well ready for it this time. I just can't take the chance I carry something home.
    New figures of infected made the decision an easy one for me.

If it is not contained we are Italy in two weeks time. Being asked to stay away from mass gatherings, so essentially take responsibility for everyone. Finding it very hard to ignore that. My job is making the decision this evening if we are open or going remote working. Hoping for remote working as no wages otherwise. The joys.

Great post and a totally sensible and responsible way of looking at this. Getting your last FE1 won't matter much if infrastructure ends up collapsing because we as a society failed to take proper precautions when we had the opportunity to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Turnout for tomorrow should be interesting...

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what happens if we don’t reply to the law society email? Or if we tell them we’re sitting and then decide later on not to? I’m still so torn this is a joke

Does anyone know what happens if we don’t reply to the law society email? Or if we tell them we’re sitting and then decide later on not to? I’m still so torn this is a joke

I'm in the same position as you, wondering if we need to reply before they close at 5pm

I don’t know - I haven’t replied either.

I’m trying to study but still haven’t made up my mind. Horrible horrible situation to put us in

Sineaddh wrote: »
    I don’t know - I haven’t replied either.

I’m trying to study but still haven’t made up my mind. Horrible horrible situation to put us in

I've been trying to study as well but feel like I haven't take anything in because I've been worrying about what to do

I've been trying to study as well but feel like I haven't take anything in because I've been worrying about what to do

I’m the exact same- nothing going in whatsoever and losing precious time

There will be no panic if you don't respond this evening. Very unfair they left the decision to students.
    Should have just led from the front and been done with it.

its crazy these exams are going ahead.The public and University libraries have closed, DCU summer exams have been replaced with alternative assessments, and yet here we are with exams going ahead!

bobbyness wrote: »
    From my understanding - The principle is that a medical professional acts negligently when they do something that no other medical professional of equal skill or standing would have done.

This allows for inherent defects in medical practices to be held as negligent.

Cottstain v Maguire - Failure to train someone in replacing a breathing tube was considered an inherent defect.

Thank you! I have that, was unsure as to whether we needed to go through each point in the Dunne principles step by step in an exam question :)

20082014 wrote: »
    Thank you! I have that, was unsure as to whether we needed to go through each point in the Dunne principles step by step in an exam question :)

If it comes up as an essay question I'll be avoiding the crap out of it. Hoping it's combined with another.

But knowing the steps in Dunnes would be the best bet for an essay, then elaborating on the other requirements set forth in following case law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

Stupid question and apologies in advance, but if you sit exam tomorrow and you fail, will law society let you sit the additional exam (whenever that my be) before October?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

milktray22 wrote: »
    Stupid question and apologies in advance, but if you sit exam tomorrow and you fail, will law society let you sit the additional exam (whenever that my be) before October?

I doubt it tbh, cause would be pretty unfair on people who sat all the other subjects

Doubt they'll let you have your cake, and eat it :)

Unless you're asking if you'd be allowed to pay and do an early resit. Might be possible I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cowboy123456

awfully worried if I don't sit tomorrow that the additional exam will be more difficult/less predictable given all the extra time for study and fact that there aren't multiple exams on together. Very torn at the moment

I decided to defer, but I feel terrible about it

nope. Summer sittings will only be for those who elected not to sit tomorrow and Monday.
    Only EU and only Tort.

• Advertisement

spygirl wrote: »
    nope. Summer sittings will only be for those who elected not to sit tomorrow and Monday.
    Only EU and only Tort.

Did law society confirm this?

Sineaddh wrote: »
    Did law society confirm this?

Seems that way from how the email is worded

Anyone who emailed, did you hear anything back?

I decided to defer, but I feel terrible about it

If any consolation I feel the same way. Of all the exams Tort is the one I was most ready for.
    I changed topics in late January due to getting an appeal so Tort was the only subject I had been studying all along. The other exams where all last minute decisions.

I am raging and worried I might be panicking, but so what if I am. It's better then the country being unable to contain it. I've a friend working in an italian hospital, spoke to her last few days and it is unreal over there atm.

If skipping the exam helps avoid that situation at all then it's the right choice. Not making it for myself, making it for family.

TBH was not comfortable sitting any of them with whats going on.

Surely we’ve all been exposed to the virus already so what’s the point in deferring? The virus won’t magically get worse tomorrow because of the announcement. I’m sitting tort on Monday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement