Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Law1997 wrote: »
    Surely we’ve all been exposed to the virus already so what’s the point in deferring? The virus won’t magically get worse tomorrow because of the announcement. I’m sitting tort on Monday.

That's not the point, the point is that they gave me this huge decision to make the day before my exam so instead of cramming for the day I spent it worrying, and wasted the entire day, so now I'm completely unprepared for the exam.

Had they just said exams are going ahead I would have been perfectly fine. It was the choice that completely threw me

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Surely we’ve all been exposed to the virus already so what’s the point in deferring? The virus won’t magically get worse tomorrow because of the announcement. I’m sitting tort on Monday.

The point in deferring is that if you were exposed you don't pass it to someone else who wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

That's not the point, the point is that they gave me this huge decision to make the day before my exam so instead of cramming for the day I spent it worrying, and wasted the entire day, so now I'm completely unprepared for the exam.

Had they just said exams are going ahead I would have been perfectly fine. It was the choice that completely threw me

I get it threw you off. I just don’t understand how much prep you’d get done the DAY before the exam. The prep is all the hard work that goes in in the months beforehand. It’s not a one night cram job. But of course it’s everyone’s own personal decision.

spygirl wrote: »
    The point in deferring is that if you were exposed you don't pass it to someone else who wasn't.

But we don’t know who’s exposed and who isn’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

I get it threw you off. I just don’t understand how much prep you’d get done the DAY before the exam. The prep is all the hard work that goes in in the months beforehand. It’s not a one night cram job. But of course it’s everyone’s own personal decision.

The day before is when I gain most of the knowledge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

It shouldn’t be risked!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

I get A LOT done the day before, it's so so so crucial, personally

Sineaddh wrote: »
    It shouldn’t be risked!

It already has though hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

As if the Law Society won’t gladly take the money of anyone wanting to sit the additional sitting.

Which is kind of the whole point.
    You might be grand, but what if you are not, or someone else at the hotel is not.

State is asking people to stay away from mass gatherings. Jump in numbers, it's about containment now. Possibly we are all over reacting, very real possibility.
    However, what if we aren't.

Personally, just can't risk bringing it home. Will be staying away from all mass gatherings, cancelled a wedding due to attend two weeks from now as well. Hopefully we are all over reacting, I really hope so. Either way limit exposure.

Plus how much did you manage to get done today as a result of earlier news.

• Advertisement

Not necessarily.
    Many people may only have been sitting one or two subjects which might be tort and EU as much as any other subjects!

It’s this kind of complacency that puts the country most at risk, every institution and individual has a responsibility to mitigate the risk of spread as much as possible and that’s why this is such a difficult decision to be left up to already stressed candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Yes and it now needs to minimised and mitigated as best it can be. There is no way a decision that ultimately was taken at government level should have been left to students to interpret. Everyone would have understood if the exams had been postponed. Yes, it would be annoying to have them hanging over a little longer, but the whole country is going to suffer in some way - exams are not life and death.

Not necessarily.
    Many people may only have been sitting one or two subjects which might be tort and EU as much as any other subjects!

It’s this kind of complacency that puts the country most at risk, every institution and individual has a responsibility to mitigate the risk of spread as much as possible and that’s why this is such a difficult decision to be left up to already stressed candidates

If the government wanted them to be called off, the guidelines would have been more direct. People are encouraged to go to work. The country is not gone into lockdown.
    However, as I’ve said, it’s everyone’s own personal decision! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Anyone who emailed, did you hear anything back?

No, not yet anyway. I'd say there are dealing with an onslaught of emails, we might not get a confirmation email tbh.

Both mine and my husbands jobs have closed. The advise is where possible work from home.

We are about two weeks behind Italy and they are like a warzone now. Containment, limit your chances of coming into contact with it or spreading it is best option now to avoid winding up like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

If you’ve decided not to sit them, stop stressing. It’s over.

Don’t feel guilty about making a decision that supported not only by the government, but by the Commission and the WHO.

The exams are still going to be there in a couple of months, before blackhall 2020 and you’ll sit it then. You’re no worse off by not sitting it with the alternative option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

SwD wrote: »
    If you’ve decided not to sit them, stop stressing. It’s over.

Don’t feel guilty about making a decision that supported not only by the government, but by the Commission and the WHO.

The exams are still going to be there in a couple of months, before blackhall 2020 and you’ll sit it then. You’re no worse off by not sitting it with the alternative option.

I needed that

So how was property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

Anyone who emailed, did you hear anything back?

Yes, I got a reply confirming that the venue remains as the Red Cow but that they may be in different rooms and that there will be signage telling us where to go. I then replied asking could I still hand in my legislation tomorrow morning, as I didn’t give it in today just in case the exam was cancelled. Got a reply confirming that yes, I can still hand in my EU legislation tomorrow morning.

Best of luck to anybody deciding to go ahead tomorrow or Monday.

• Advertisement

If the government wanted them to be called off, the guidelines would have been more direct. People are encouraged to go to work. The country is not gone into lockdown.
    However, as I’ve said, it’s everyone’s own personal decision! 😊

The government are doing the complete opposite to encouraging people to go to work. Everyone is being told to work from home.

I think everyone has pretty much decided what they are doing at this point.

To anyone going ahead, best of luck lads.

To everyone else, I'll see you in the summer.

Would be an idea to keep on top of the study as resit could be short enough notice. Not likely to be the next day or anything but maybe only a few weeks notice.

Would be an idea to keep the study going.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Would imagine all of this hullabaloo would have to be taken into account in the marking?

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Would imagine all of this hullabaloo would have to be taken into account in the marking?

not a hope I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PerryMason2020

Jeremiah25 wrote: »

I can't imagine why. One is either ready for them or they aren't and if one is prepared then all the external issues won't matter. I say this as someone who has crammed at the last minute myself, knowing that I should have been far better prepared.

Sure look at the profession we're all trying to get into. It's extremely stressful, you get things thrown at you last minute and need to be able to adapt and keep your head. These exams really aren't hard, they aren't even in the top 100 of hard exams. I think the issue is that people cram at the last minute too much and cherry pick too much and that doesn't always work out. I know myself from doing it.

I can't imagine why. One is either ready for them or they aren't and if one is prepared then all the external issues won't matter. I say this as someone who has crammed at the last minute myself, knowing that I should have been far better prepared.

Sure look at the profession we're all trying to get into. It's extremely stressful, you get things thrown at you last minute and need to be able to adapt and keep your head. These exams really aren't hard, they aren't even in the top 100 of hard exams. I think the issue is that people cram at the last minute too much and cherry pick too much and that doesn't always work out. I know myself from doing it.

They are hard exams. Come on.

• Advertisement

spygirl wrote: »
    So how was property?
    She changed the format - a lot more of the pick a or b type questions. But all in all not a bad paper.

They are hard exams. Come on.
    Ah they're not. They are challenging because of the sheer volume of information that we need to cover, but there are far harder exams out there.
    I suppose I've spent so long reading this forum that I had them built up in my head as being way harder and when I sat them I found them to be very similar to college exams. More intense, but not crazy hard. (That's not to say I've passed the ones I just sat).

The government are doing the complete opposite to encouraging people to go to work. Everyone is being told to work from home.

Honestly - watch the government announcement before commenting on it. Sorry but really he said to go to work unless you can work from home.

Anyone know when PPC 1 applications deadline generally is?

If they want to have exams before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

What an FE1 season this has turned out to be eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

She changed the format - a lot more of the pick a or b type questions. But all in all not a bad paper.

It's because it was a different examiner, Neil Maddox did this one.

Was nearly thrown by how much choice there was, could have answered another two questions. Was very pressed for time at the end but I really think I've passed it this time. Just worried it was so easy they'll expect more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

I agree with this 100%. No offence to anyone struggling but Christ if you’re not passing these what firm will be willing to invest in you.

Your comments are unhelpful. You’ve made your decision on tomorrow, now I think you should refrain from commenting on this further.

Your comments are unhelpful. You’ve made your decision on tomorrow, now I think you should refrain from commenting on this further.

Ok:) good luck with your future and we will all pass this together cuz we are amazing 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

What are people covering for tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

People fail these exams for lots of different reasons. Most of us work full time and then come home at 6/7 in the evening and struggle to get a couple of hours of study in, that in itself makes them extremely difficult imo. I guarantee ye there are senior associates/partners at every major law firm who failed one or more of them in the past!

With the events of the day maybe we should keep the smug comments to ourselves

I think this forum is a little toxic. Its good for questions etc but other than that - it freaks me out and hypes up the exams more than in necessary! Limit the time you spend on it, it’ll help you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Birdlaw101

Putting other people down won't make you happy - just keep the head down and focus on your own exams.

Birdlaw101 wrote: »
    Putting other people down won't make you happy - just keep the head down and focus on your own exams.

I don’t think they were putting them down I think maybe they were just agreeing with the other comment and it was taken the wrong way..

Was nearly thrown by how much choice there was, could have answered another two questions. Was very pressed for time at the end but I really think I've passed it this time. Just worried it was so easy they'll expect more than usual.

He is an incredibly fair marker, you will be fine. The extra choice is to give you a good spread of all the topics. I wish more of the exams could be the same tbh.

If you did a mortgages question you will likely get bravery points from him once you did a good enough job of it.

Is it necessary to cover like 17 topics for tort or am I doing wayyy too much?!

• Advertisement

Is it necessary to cover like 17 topics for tort or am I doing wayyy too much?!

Nope you are about right tbh. It's an exam that requires a good spread just to be safe. I had covered 16 topics and planned on doing another one or two.

Ah! I had wondered about that, it didn't read like one of hers.

Reya10 wrote: »
    People fail these exams for lots of different reasons. Most of us work full time and then come home at 6/7 in the evening and struggle to get a couple of hours of study in, that in itself makes them extremely difficult imo. I guarantee ye there are senior associates/partners at every major law firm who failed one or more of them in the past!

With the events of the day maybe we should keep the smug comments to ourselves

Sorry, just to clarify, I agree 100% that the amount of work that goes into them makes them hard and a challenge, the volume of information that's needed to be covered etc on top of balancing daily life is quite draining.

What I meant by saying I didn't think they were hard, is that the actual paper i.e. the questions asked, that's not hard (IMO). I found the paper side of things very similar to the exams I did in college.

Sorry, just to clarify, I agree 100% that the amount of work that goes into them makes them hard and a challenge, the volume of information that's needed to be covered etc on top of balancing daily life is quite draining.

What I meant by saying I didn't think they were hard, is that the actual paper i.e. the questions asked, that's not hard (IMO). I found the paper side of things very similar to the exams I did in college.

Yeah I think this too! Gosh things are so easily taken the wrong way when not said in person it’s crazy

Those two hours between the announcement and clarification on the exams really took their pound of flesh. Fading big time

Those two hours between the announcement and clarification on the exams really took their pound of flesh. Fading big time

Get some sleep a lot to be said for it. If sitting tomorrow get up early and go back over everything then.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

What are you lads and lasses predicting for tort?

Impossible to predict. I think examiner is known for being unpredictable in general.

I am going to go for it in summer sitting, not sitting Monday. My predictions before it where everything is fair game. Trespass, passing off, defamation . Possibly something to do with new technologies as products liability, after that it is wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Anything and everything. I feel passing off is due a run given the recent SC decision, I’m hoping defamation is given a break! Negligent misstatement, nervous shock! Also think vicarious liability due a run! I really don’t know what to cut out, if I can cut anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

I think this forum is a little toxic. Its good for questions etc but other than that - it freaks me out and hypes up the exams more than in necessary! Limit the time you spend on it, it’ll help you in the long run.

I have found serious solace here at times when speaking to people in real life about these exams freaked me out. There's enough competition in the real world legal industry, people openly sharing notes and encouragement here is the most welcome change.

Let's keep this space kind and supportive, we've all worked really hard and don't need anyone, least of all each other, diminishing that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement