Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

sm333 wrote: »
    I have found serious solace here at times when speaking to people in real life about these exams freaked me out. There's enough competition in the real world legal industry, people openly sharing notes and encouragement here is the most welcome change.

Let's keep this space kind and supportive, we've all worked really hard and don't need anyone, least of all each other, diminishing that.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

I have found serious solace here at times when speaking to people in real life about these exams freaked me out. There's enough competition in the real world legal industry, people openly sharing notes and encouragement here is the most welcome change.

Let's keep this space kind and supportive, we've all worked really hard and don't need anyone, least of all each other, diminishing that.

I have found everyone very kind and helpful on here only ever had positive experiences :) Certainly helped me out many of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Just been told that the law society has said that you can sit the EU and tort exams both now and the summer. So you can resit in summer if you fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

L.E.D wrote: »
    Just been told that the law society has said that you can sit the EU and tort exams both now and the summer. So you can resit in summer if you fail.

If thats the case, do you think they will just have an open sitting even allow those who were not registered for this sitting to sit them in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Louis Litt wrote: »
    If thats the case, do you think they will just have an open sitting even allow those who were not registered for this sitting to sit them in the summer?

I didn’t sit EU, I wonder is it possible to sit Tort and resit EU in the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Louis Litt wrote: »

I'm not sure to be honest, I would imagine they would have to in the interest of fairness.

To be honest I think this information should have been circulated to all student, it's u fair that some are aware of this and others aren't. I chose not to go in today and it wouldn't have effected my own decisions, but could have effected other people and everyone should be told the same!

Ok I’ve decided to go for Tort, what do people think about these topics:

Land/Rylands/Nuisance
    Trespass to Person
    Passing Off
    Vicarious
    Occupiers
    Products
    Negligence
    PEL/NM
    Nervous Shock
    Animals/Fire
    Red Ipsa
    Concurrent
    Limitations
    Damages
    Defamation
    Professional

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Land/Rylands/Nuisance
    Trespass to Person
    Passing Off
    Vicarious
    Occupiers
    Products
    Negligence
    PEL/NM
    Nervous Shock
    Animals/Fire
    Red Ipsa
    Concurrent
    Limitations
    Damages
    Defamation
    Professional

I’m going for it too!!! Seem to have everything covered. Anything you think might come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

Land/Rylands/Nuisance
    Trespass to Person
    Passing Off
    Vicarious
    Occupiers
    Products
    Negligence
    PEL/NM
    Nervous Shock
    Animals/Fire
    Red Ipsa
    Concurrent
    Limitations
    Damages
    Defamation
    Professional

Excuse my ignorance but what’s PEL/NM?

20082014 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what’s PEL/NM?

Apologies, Pure Economic Loss/Negligent Misstatement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

Apologies, Pure Economic Loss/Negligent Misstatement

Thanks! Im covering pretty much the same but hoping defamation, res ipsa or liability for animals don't come up as I have just skimmed over them! are you doing employers liability?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

What did people think of EU, did anyone else find the Free Movement of Workers/Citizenship question very difficult to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 isawitfirst

What did people think of EU, did anyone else find the Free Movement of Workers/Citizenship question very difficult to read?

Very difficult, weird wording! And was it just me or was it kind of hard to find something he could claim on citizenship when he was still living in Belgium?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

20082014 wrote: »
    Thanks! Im covering pretty much the same but hoping defamation, res ipsa or liability for animals don't come up as I have just skimmed over them! are you doing employers liability?

Hoping defamation doesn’t come up either, it’s been up the last 4 in a row I think! Surely due a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Hey everyone, hope EU went great. Any chance one of you lovely people could send on pictures of the paper? It would be greatly appreciated and anyone who does, I’ll pray every night until the results come out that you pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Land/Rylands/Nuisance
    Trespass to Person
    Passing Off
    Vicarious
    Occupiers
    Products
    Negligence
    PEL/NM
    Nervous Shock
    Animals/Fire
    Red Ipsa
    Concurrent
    Limitations

Damages
    Defamation
    Professional

Essentially the same minus what's in bold and plus Employers Liability.

List seems pretty solid.

Am I right in thinking that if Limitations were to come up it would be in Essay format?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Very difficult, weird wording! And was it just me or was it kind of hard to find something he could claim on citizenship when he was still living in Belgium?

He was a citizen of France and a student in Dublin.

His mother was originally from Belgium.

Would anyone be willing to send me notes on Employers? Seems like a lot of people are doing it and I have nothing on it

It was my last question and i was stuck for time, I just mentioned Bidar allows for restrictions on giving grants, that the tax requirements might be seen as charges under Gravier, and then threw in it I think it’s Article 6 of 492/2011 - really just a wild stab haha but I think he’s a nice marker and my first 4 were quite strong I think

Would anyone be willing to send me notes on Employers? Seems like a lot of people are doing it and I have nothing on it

I'll send you what I have. I believe I have your email.

• Advertisement

JCormac wrote: »
    Essentially the same minus what's in bold and plus Employers Liability.

List seems pretty solid.

Am I right in thinking that if Limitations were to come up it would be in Essay format?

Not sure about essay or problem question although I imagine it's a topic that does lend itself to a problem Q fairly well, main reason I am covering is that there were two fairly big cases in 2019 - Green v Hardiman and Sullivan v Ireland

Not sure about essay or problem question although I imagine it's a topic that does lend itself to a problem Q fairly well, main reason I am covering is that there were two fairly big cases in 2019 - Green v Hardiman and Sullivan v Ireland

Fack

SwD wrote: »
    He was a citizen of France and a student in Dublin.

His mother was originally from Belgium.

It doesn't say he's a French citizen though? It just says he lives in Belgium with his mam.

But it also says he lives in Belgium but is somehow also on erasmus in dublin.

It was my last question and i was stuck for time, I just mentioned Bidar allows for restrictions on giving grants, that the tax requirements might be seen as charges under Gravier, and then threw in it I think it’s Article 6 of 492/2011 - really just a wild stab haha but I think he’s a nice marker and my first 4 were quite strong I think

I don't even know what I wrote I just panicked and flicked through legislation and wrote so many disjointed random paragraphs. I had 3 good questions and two dodgy ones, praying that its ok

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Hey everyone, hope EU went great. Any chance one of you lovely people could send on pictures of the paper? It would be greatly appreciated and anyone who does, I’ll pray every night until the results come out that you pass!

PM me your email, I'll send it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lawgrad101

What was the turn out like for EU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Lawgrad101 wrote: »

About 30 in cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

Lawgrad101 wrote: »

I was in the red cow, in the room I was in I counted 100 desks (as in 10x10) and it was about 75% full I’d say. Dunno if that was representative of the other rooms.

They also staggered us going in to/leaving the exams so it was one big rush, so ended up getting about 7 mins extra I think

There were also far fewer people hanging around before it from what I could tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

EAL2019 wrote: »
    I was in the red cow, in the room I was in I counted 100 desks (as in 10x10) and it was about 75% full I’d say. Dunno if that was representative of the other rooms.

They also staggered us going in to/leaving the exams so it was one big rush, so ended up getting about 7 mins extra I think

There were also far fewer people hanging around before it from what I could tell!

Were there many rooms set up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

If it's helpful to anyone who sat it today, EU is a bitch to study for but undoubtedly one of the easiest in terms of marking. Wouldn't stress if you're not thrilled with some of your answers.

If it's helpful to anyone who sat it today, EU is a bitch to study for but undoubtedly one of the easiest in terms of marking. Wouldn't stress if you're not thrilled with some of your answers.

I appreciate the encouragement, kind of you!

L.E.D wrote: »

Was it confirmed for sure that we can sit the Tort exam again in Summer if we fail the sitting on Monday? Thanks!

Standard of Care and Duty both up last time, anyone fancy a causation question for this sitting?

Standard of Care and Duty both up last time, anyone fancy a causation question for this sitting?

Yeah that’s what I’m betting on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Definitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Eu was actually a nice paper I had four okish question I git caught up for time so my fifth was just bullet points so hopefully it’ll be enough.

So far I think what came up:
    1. Principles
    2. Institutions
    3. Direct effect
    4. Judicial review
    5. Goods
    6. Worker and citizenship
    7. Case
    8. Competition

With the judicial review question he only wanted cases from 2009 ?

jewels652 wrote: »
    Eu was actually a nice paper I had four okish question I git caught up for time so my fifth was just bullet points so hopefully it’ll be enough.

1. Principles
    2. Institutions
    3. Direct effect
    4. Judicial review
    5. Goods
    7. Case
    8. Competition

I included indirect effect and MSL in my answer for 2. Didn’t learn the years for my cases either haha I just gave him everything I knew on JR for Q4

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

1. Principles
    2. Institutions
    3. Direct effect
    4. Judicial review
    5. Goods
    7. Case
    8. Competition

Yeah I was kinda thrown by the 2009 thing cause I really hadn’t been paying attention to whether the cases were pre-Lisbon or not.

I did a brief reference to the pre-Lisbon “in substance a decision” thing and then just talked about the cases I had whether they were post-2009 or not

I included indirect effect and MSL in my answer for 2. Didn’t learn the years for my cases either haha I just gave him everything I knew on JR for Q4

I only knew one case post Lisbon on JR, with the lower standard so that's all he got lol

I only knew one case post Lisbon on JR, with the lower standard so that's all he got lol

Is Codorniu post?

• Advertisement

I thought question 2 was on the institutions q3 was direct effect

I thought question 2 was on the institutions q3 was direct effect

My mistake sorry

I wrote microban anyway

And just to me ame sure free movement of goods was on art 34-36?

And just to me ame sure free movement of goods was on art 34-36?

It was indeed

My mistake sorry

Haha no worries. We are all very tired at this stage not thinking straight.

It was indeed

That’s excellent. Thanks for the confirmation.

That’s excellent. Thanks for the confirmation.

I wasn’t really sure on the first bit, both grounds were explicitly allowed under art 36? I just mentioned cases like conegate, henn and Darby, sandoz and said courts deferential to member states on what’s best

Part 2 characteristics, Mars case?

So I sat my last two constitutional and Eu. I am 100 sure I’ll be repeating constitutional. I have mixed feelings with Eu, four good questions and the last one on bullet points. It was a hard few weeks but I am glad is all over for now.

Best of luck to everyone who sat the exams and to those sitting tort on Monday.

I wasn’t really sure on the first bit, both grounds were explicitly allowed under art 36? I just mentioned cases like conegate, henn and Darby, sandoz and said courts deferential to member states on what’s best

Part 2 characteristics, Mars case?

Part was on the German issue ? I thought it was Keck ? Selling arrangements ??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement