Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Anyone have an up to date grid they wouldn't mind sending me?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Anyone have an up to date grid they wouldn't mind sending me?

PM me your email, I have one

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

I hope to god Public Authorities Liability doesn't come up as a Problem Q.

Haven't studied it but keep getting unfounded thoughts of it coming up for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

I’m exhausted Christ, wish tort had been first

JCormac wrote: »
    I hope to god Public Authorities Liability doesn't come up as a Problem Q.

Haven't studied it but keep getting unfounded thoughts of it coming up for some reason.

I’m giving it a skip too! Came up the last two sittings I think!

Having a serious mental block with studying Tort atm

Negligence is a brutal slog to get through, considering just covering Causation

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Watch out for those policy decisions. Horrible

I’m only doing causation and the evolution of DOC

I’m only doing causation and the evolution of DOC

Think I'll follow you on that, categories of DOC is horrendous, at least with DOC and SOC up last sitting it might be in our favour

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Same I keep having thoughts it will get cancelled or something will kick off tomorrow totally lacking the usual motivation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

Loosing the will for tort at this stage so much to cover left it way too late :(

Same I keep having thoughts it will get cancelled or something will kick off tomorrow totally lacking the usual motivation

I’d be grateful I think. Have worked so hard upto now but am just so fatigued. Tried to get up early and go at it this morning and ended up having to go back to bed for a nap earlier haha

Im actually worn out with all the news.Spain is now heading for lockdown and for someone who wasn't initially panicking im finding it very difficult to study for an exam with all this going on. Tried to nap not happening. Apologies do not mean to demotivate the thread just very stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Are the tort questions hard? I’ve scanned papers but as usual am afraid to look any more!!!! I’ve left out defamation, defences & animals/fire

Are the tort questions hard? I’ve scanned papers but as usual am afraid to look any more!!!! I’ve left out defamation, defences & animals/fire

No I think the questions themselves are usually alright. The difficulty with tort is the amount of topics you have to cover really. However, the causation questions can be very tricky. But just remember to work through the various tests and you should be fine

If you're only leaving out those topics you will be fine

No I think the questions themselves are usually alright. The difficulty with tort is the amount of topics you have to cover really. However, the causation questions can be very tricky. But just remember to work through the various tests and you should be fine

If you're only leaving out those topics you will be fine

Yes I’ve come across a few prob qs that don’t look like ANY topic but are then causation! Does that mean you need to go through but for material contribution etc etc?! And negligence principles?

Yes I’ve come across a few prob qs that don’t look like ANY topic but are then causation! Does that mean you need to go through but for material contribution etc etc?! And negligence principles?

Yeah the facts are usually really complex for the causation Q. Just remember your first step is always factual causation, can I apply but for, can I apply material contribution, move on to legal, is there a novus, does egg shell apply, remoteness...I find the questions can be really confusing but if you work logically through the tests it kind of falls into place. Also I'm guessing that even if you apply the tests incorrectly to the facts, just by applying the tests and giving the relevant cases you should pick up marks

Yeah the facts are usually really complex for the causation Q. Just remember your first step is always factual causation, can I apply but for, can I apply material contribution, move on to legal, is there a novus, does egg shell apply, remoteness...I find the questions can be really confusing but if you work logically through the tests it kind of falls into place. Also I'm guessing that even if you apply the tests incorrectly to the facts, just by applying the tests and giving the relevant cases you should pick up marks

Aw thank you that is sooo helpful. Yes I’m sure if the law is correct you’ll pass the question at least! I know I should have done defamation but couldn’t face it, it’s huge but it seems to be up every single year.

Aw thank you that is sooo helpful. Yes I’m sure if the law is correct you’ll pass the question at least! I know I should have done defamation but couldn’t face it, it’s huge but it seems to be up every single year.

Sorry to be so full of questions but is causation usually the first q or is it random ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 isawitfirst

What are people cutting for Tort? I was planning on cutting vicarious and animal/fire only but with the virus etc my concentration is gone down the toilet and won't make it through everything.

Appreciate any gut feelings too

Sorry to be so full of questions but is causation usually the first q or is it random ?

No it can pop up anywhere really! It is usually on the first half of the paper but it has been near the end too...so not much help there unfortunately

Every other FE1 exam I have found to be grand but I just find Tort absolutely brutal. Failed it last sitting so really hoping I can get past it this time :(

No it can pop up anywhere really! It is usually on the first half of the paper but it has been near the end too...so not much help there unfortunately

Every other FE1 exam I have found to be grand but I just find Tort absolutely brutal. Failed it last sitting so really hoping I can get past it this time :(

Is it brutal because of the amount of topics?

Is it brutal because of the amount of topics?

Yeah. I did Constitutional this sitting which also has a huge amount of topics but I found it grand to study for. I think I just have a mental block about Tort. In fairness, depending on what comes up it could be a lovely exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EAA123

What are people cutting for Tort? I was planning on cutting vicarious and animal/fire only but with the virus etc my concentration is gone down the toilet and won't make it through everything.

Appreciate any gut feelings too

both them topics you are cutting have both been predicted by city colleges so I wouldn't completely leave them out

EAA123 wrote: »
    both them topics you are cutting have both been predicted by city colleges so I wouldn't completely leave them out

typical

So basically we can cut nothing?

• Advertisement

Any other predictions from city colleges? Although I think with Tort predictions are almost useless because it's so broad

typical

So basically we can cut nothing?

i would cut stuff that was up on the last paper that doesn't make an appearance very often

but i think the key to passing tort is cover as much as possible because I have sat it before and I always find i fail because my last 2 questions are my worse because i haven't covered enough of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

Any other predictions from city colleges? Although I think with Tort predictions are almost useless because it's so broad

They also predicted a question on Duty of care!

https://citycolleges.ie/night-before-notes-2020/

here is a link to their 2020 Night before notes and the man focuses on duty of care as it has not been up in a while

he also says a few more predictions but still try cover a good amount of the course because as stated they are only predictions

https://citycolleges.ie/night-before-notes-2020/

here is a link to their 2020 Night before notes and the man focuses on duty of care as it has not been up in a while

he also says a few more predictions but still try cover a good amount of the course because as stated they are only predictions

Thanks very much lads! by DoC do ye just mean english v irish historical approached and all that lark?

• Advertisement

also if you know duty of care very well it applies to a lot of other topics in the syllabus such an negligent mistatement, professional negligence etc.

Thanks very much lads! by DoC do ye just mean english v irish historical approached and all that lark?

yep. apparently it usually comes up in the form of an essay

yep. apparently it usually comes up in the form of an essay

that could actually be quite a nice question tbf!

Thanks for your help, hope it goes well for you

With tort problem questions.... sometimes the examiner puts in the last line of the question exactly what he’s looking for, e.g. advise such a person if they are responsible for the cause of this of such an accident! You’d know that is causation! Really read the last line for hidden tips!

ok I've made a decision. Backtracking on not doing animal and fire and will cover that now.Will leave vicarious liability because I have a mental block on it for some reason. Going to leave defamation too (have notes made and will flick through them before going in but won't spend time learning by heart) and cover everything else.

Defamation was just too long and bitty.

ok I've made a decision. Backtracking on not doing animal and fire and will cover that now.Will leave vicarious liability because I have a mental block on it for some reason. Going to leave defamation too (have notes made and will flick through them before going in but won't spend time learning by heart) and cover everything else.

Defamation was just too long and bitty.

Defamation up last 4 sittings, surely, surely it's due a rest!

Here’s hoping, I’m not covering it

Here’s hoping, I’m not covering it

I'm cutting topics left, right and centre at the minute

With tort problem questions.... sometimes the examiner puts in the last line of the question exactly what he’s looking for, e.g. advise such a person if they are responsible for the cause of this of such an accident! You’d know that is causation! Really read the last line for hidden tips!

Yes that’s so helpful I saw that on a few qs! was worried that I didn’t understand but that makes sense that it be causation. At least it isn’t Constitutional where is could literally be any topic lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

are people covering res ipsa loquitur? I know its a small topic (I only have one page of notes done), but is it likely to even come up?

• Advertisement

If ye hear a screech in the exam hall at 9:31 on monday, it's me opening the paper and seeing defamation

20082014 wrote: »
    are people covering res ipsa loquitur? I know its a small topic (I only have one page of notes done), but is it likely to even come up?

I did but it’s honestly a few lines and a few cases in my manual in the negligence chapter there’s no way I could answer an essay on it

Yes that’s so helpful I saw that on a few qs! was worried that I didn’t understand but that makes sense that it be causation. At least it isn’t Constitutional where is could literally be any topic lol

This was the case before but it wasn’t in the last paper

Im cutting product liability and another haven't decided yet keeping all the sub topics as they mix in with questions.

Just saw an email come in from law society saying they actively monitoring the advices from hpsc.

Im cutting product liability and another haven't decided yet keeping all the sub topics as they mix in with questions.

Just saw an email come in from law society saying they actively monitoring the advices from hpsc.

got very nervous when i saw the email, just waiting for the cancellation to come in

got very nervous when i saw the email, just waiting for the cancellation to come in

Would have to be some additional government instructions I’d say. I almost wouldn’t mind, but given the severity of thursdays instructions I think it’ll be a few days before they consider upping the ante in a way that would lead to the exam being cancelled.

Hard to know whether I want the relief of finishing or a better chance at passing haha

Would have to be some additional government instructions I’d say. I almost wouldn’t mind, but given the severity of thursdays instructions I think it’ll be a few days before they consider upping the ante in a way that would lead to the exam being cancelled.

Hard to know whether I want the relief of finishing or a better chance at passing haha

Take this with a pinch of salt, but someone previously said on here that they were told by the law society that those who sit EU and Tort now can still avail of the summer sitting if they fail. Obviously not ideal, but at least it's an option

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

Take this with a pinch of salt, but someone previously said on here that they were told by the law society that those who sit EU and Tort now can still avail of the summer sitting if they fail. Obviously not ideal, but at least it's an option

Yes thats true, it was confirmed in a reply email from the Law Society. anyone who sits tort on Monday or sat EU on Friday, can do the additional sitting also!

I wish I had known that for Friday. It won't be a great attempt Monday for sure!

• Advertisement

I wish I had known that for Friday. It won't be a great attempt Monday for sure!

You're better off giving it a go now anyway! You never know you could end up passing, and at least there is a bit of a safety net there if not

I'm definitely feeling a bit under prepared for this one myself but I always say that you know more than you think you do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement