Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

lawDani wrote: »
    i spoke to Fiona in the education centre and she said she will have the dates by Friday

Thanks for letting us all know. I will be trying to sit Tort myself. Wonder is it abit premature to try and set a date now when everything is so uncertain

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

jewels652 wrote: »
    I think two months should be enough time for one exam you can squeeze another exam and you should be fine.
    When you spoke to the lady in the education centre did you ask her if the dates to be release was for all the 8 exams or just Eu and tort?

Unfortunately no i didn't manage to i was heading back to my desk after lunchbreak. i'm going to be calling again on Friday so i will post was info i get then on here.

i work full time so i might attempt one exam to study for over two months, would you suggest doing EU or tort?

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us all know. I will be trying to sit Tort myself. Wonder is it abit premature to try and set a date now when everything is so uncertain

i think it seems to be, especially with the announcement yesterday from Leo...but i will post here anyway after i call - prob after 2pm on Friday ha

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Unfortunately no i didn't manage to i was heading back to my desk after lunchbreak. i'm going to be calling again on Friday so i will post was info i get then on here.

i work full time so i might attempt one exam to study for over two months, would you suggest doing EU or tort?

I would go for Eu there is a lot of material but more predictable. I went to the Eu exams with 9 topics covered then for tort I went into the exam with at least 17 topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

I would go for Eu there is a lot of material but more predictable. I went to the Eu exams with 9 topics covered then for tort I went into the exam with at least 17 topics.

What were those 9 topics for EU you covered?

Competition
    Institutions
    Judicial review
    Goods
    Workers
    Citizenship
    Direct effect
    member state liability
    Preliminary reference procedure

Competition
    Institutions
    Judicial review
    Goods
    Workers
    Citizenship
    Direct effect
    member state liability
    Preliminary reference procedure

And you’d definitely get 5 Qs answered with these topics. Never looked at EU before and seriously considering it for the extra sitting whenever it is! Doing tort too but I’m fairly comfortable with it!

And you’d definitely get 5 Qs answered with these topics. Never looked at EU before and seriously considering it for the extra sitting whenever it is! Doing tort too but I’m fairly comfortable with it!

Yes I got my five questions in the exam. Although I had so much on goods that it toke me forever to answer that question I ended up answering the last question on bullet points. In hindsight I wish I had general principles essay prepared. for me is easier and faster to answer prepared essay questions because for problem questions it can take a while to identify the issues and how to frame it in the answer. Is just personal preference I guess.

Yes I got my five questions in the exam. Although I had so much on goods that it toke me forever to answer that question I ended up answering the last question on bullet points. In hindsight I wish I had general principles essay prepared. for me is easier and faster to answer prepared essay questions because for problem questions it can take a while to identify the issues and how to frame it in the answer. Is just personal preference I guess.

Thanks for the input! I might give it a go if it’s fairly predictable! If I wasn’t so comfortable with Tort, I wouldn’t dream of it!

thank you both for this.. i feel id be more comfortable with Tort rather than EU but time is of the essence with taking on a totally new subject ive never looked at before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

thank you both for this.. i feel id be more comfortable with Tort rather than EU but time is of the essence with taking on a totally new subject ive never looked at before.

EU certainly ain't a walk in the park either!! I did essentially the same topics as the above and got caught out.

I got a bare pass(50%) because I was able to blag the case notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Hi all, I am looking to begin study for the next sitting of FE1s in the autumn. Is there any good sources online to find notes? Also, I saw online about a google drive for fe1 notes - any ideas about this or where to find it? Thanks for your help in advance.

EU certainly ain't a walk in the park either!! I did essentially the same topics as the above and got caught out.

I got a bare pass(50%) because I was able to blag the case notes.

What else would you try to cover along with the topics we mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

COVID-19 Emergency Legislation - possible post-facto challenge

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but searching seems to indicate this is the most active Constitutional forum.

Given that all TDs are equal in all respects, given that no TD can be denied access to the voting chamber, given that no TD may delegate his vote, given that all TDs voting must be present in the voting chamber (pro tem) of the Dáil for their ballot to be valid, and given that political parties have no status under the constitution.

How will the procedure currently outlined (reportedly based on relative strengths), avoid a simple constitutional challange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Louis Litt wrote: »

I’m surprised by this as second level schools don’t know where they stand for instance and nobody knows when the storm will be over ... she must be mystic meg! Leo told us to hold on to our seats only a day ago ... roll on Friday so.

bekker wrote: »
    COVID-19 Emergency Legislation - possible post-facto challenge

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but searching seems to indicate this is the most active Constitutional forum.

Given that all TDs are equal in all respects, given that no TD can be denied access to the voting chamber, given that no TD may delegate his vote, given that all TDs voting must be present in the voting chamber (pro tem) of the Dáil for their ballot to be valid, and given that political parties have no status under the constitution.

How will the procedure currently outlined (reportedly based on relative strengths), avoid a simple constitutional challange?

Emergency legislation will have this copper fastened. Was last used in 1948 with the outbreak of TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JCreaghy

Leaving Cert students are getting 100% in oral and project examinations. If only we got something so kind.

If anyone is considering sitting tort, have a look at the SC decision this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

If anyone is considering sitting tort, have a look at the SC decision this morning!

yes, very interesting decision alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

JCreaghy wrote: »
    Leaving Cert students are getting 100% in oral and project examinations. If only we got something so kind.

I think this should be extended to us tort candidates who couldn’t sit the exam due to the same cancellation reason

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

igobuy wrote: »
    I think this should be extended to us tort candidates who couldn’t sit the exam due to the same cancellation reason

Would be incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

Would be incredible

They are giving secondary school students the benefit of the doubt I mean there’s an argument there why shouldn’t that be extended to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

Tort is my only exam left, I have passed the other 7. I sat tort in October and was 7 marks off the pass. Would it even be worth emailing for the law society to see if they could take into account the previous sitting or even review that script again or something?

It’s so much stress just for one exam when I’ve only been a few marks off! Thinking of anything at this stage especially with the news of the leaving and junior certs today!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

20082014 wrote: »
    Tort is my only exam left, I have passed the other 7. I sat tort in October and was 7 marks off the pass. Would it even be worth emailing for the law society to see if they could take into account the previous sitting or even review that script again or something?

It’s so much stress just for one exam when I’ve only been a few marks off! Thinking of anything at this stage especially with the news of the leaving and junior certs today!

I feel like you wouldn’t be able to because you’re passed the time frame to apply for a re-check. I know it seems unfair, but unfortunately these exams are professional and are strict. Your ability to practice depends on them.

spygirl wrote: »
    yes, very interesting decision alright.

I missed this.. what decision is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

lawgrad15 wrote: »

thank you. i heard something on the news yesterday regarding that. Some decision!

i called the law soc education centre and meetings still ongoing as to date of resits. re sits for Tort and also EU, that's the only info she could give me at the moment- until 'early next week'.
    sorry if i got any body's hopes up...

thank you. i heard something on the news yesterday regarding that. Some decision!

i called the law soc education centre and meetings still ongoing as to date of resits. re sits for Tort and also EU, that's the only info she could give me at the moment- until 'early next week'.
    sorry if i got any body's hopes up...

So she’s no update / email today as she promised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

So can anyone tell me how is Tort worse than Constitution? I've just done Constitution and am planning to sit tort for the resit, I just want to know before I even start how its harder. I'm pretty sure I've failed Const, I covered so many topics and found it very tough and couldnt identify issues on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

CMUL wrote: »
    So can anyone tell me how is Tort worse than Constitution? I've just done Constitution and am planning to sit tort for the resit, I just want to know before I even start how its harder. I'm pretty sure I've failed Const, I covered so many topics and found it very tough and couldnt identify issues on the day.

It's all subjective. I personally found Tort WAY easier than both Constitutional and EU. Your interests come into it I suppose. Just sat Con myself this sitting and not at all confident of a pass. Praying they might offer another sitting of all subjects as it's my last one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Anyone think they might put on other exams or just EU and tort? I didn't sit contract cause I was paranoid over this, probably a long shot but would be great if they did

L.E.D wrote: »
    Anyone think they might put on other exams or just EU and tort? I didn't sit contract cause I was paranoid over this, probably a long shot but would be great if they did

Email them
    Explain your situation
    If enough do it they may

Breacnua wrote: »
    Email them
    Explain your situation
    If enough do it they may

when i asked today if it was just Tort she informed that it will be EU as well. she didn't mention anything about the other subjects.

would like a repeat of Contract i think though...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Anyone have any idea of a date for results?

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of a date for results?

Normally 6 weeks

God knows now

What else would you try to cover along with the topics we mentioned?

I actually didn't do Competition or Institutions ...

It has a high pass rate!

Friday night in quarantine.

Let's talk about Tort Law!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Friday night in quarantine.

Let's talk about Tort Law!

Going starting Tort tomorrow, dunno where to start tho, don’t have a Manuel just some notes I got sent.

channing90 wrote: »
    Going starting Tort tomorrow, dunno where to start tho, don’t have a Manuel just some notes I got sent.

I can send you a Manuel Lin Miranda from 2017, but you'd probably get a newer one off someone else.

I have Eoin Quills book and access to Justis. I'd like to know when the exam will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

I actually didn't do Competition or Institutions ...

It has a high pass rate!

I second this - I originally covered institutions but in the end didn’t go back over it because I just didn’t like it?! I didn’t do competition either. And I was GRAND. It’s honestly so fine and he’s the loveliest marker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

I can send you a Manuel Lin Miranda from 2017, but you'd probably get a newer one off someone else.

I have Eoin Quills book and access to Justis. I'd like to know when the exam will be!

I wouldn’t say no to it, Thanks, btw was Eoin quill the examiner for tort and now it’s ray friel? Eoin quill is painful and a hard marker.

Mod
    Pls do not comment here on the various examiners

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

I’d say it’ll be just for the people that didn’t get to sit it yesterday! But I’m only guessing

I asked the Law society and they said it’s open to everyone

channing90 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say no to it, Thanks, btw was Eoin quill the examiner for tort and now it’s ray friel? Eoin quill is painful and a hard marker.

I'm actually not sure who the examiner was but boy will I be citing that Morrissey case if Med Neg comes up!!

Pm me I'll send it to you.

Any advice on access to justis

I’m finished third level

Breacnua wrote: »
    Any advice on access to justis

I’m finished third level

I pay a monthly subscription.

I pay a monthly subscription.

How much may I ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Hey guys, are people still due to begin their traineeships as normal in April? I'm due to begin mid-April but haven't heard anything yet.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Hey guys, are people still due to begin their traineeships as normal in April? I'm due to begin mid-April but haven't heard anything yet.

Lots have postponed, the Dublin firms at least

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Lots have postponed, the Dublin firms at least

To when, do you know?

• Advertisement

Coulter97 wrote: »
    To when, do you know?

I think until further notice to be honest. It’s frustrating but understandable, impossible to plan anything at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement