Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

can anybody help me decide whether to sit EU or Tort in these re-sits?

ive never done either subject...looking for inspo before i order study material.

thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Tort is pretty vast, but no reason you couldn't get to grips with it over the next few weeks/months. If you have access to a manual and past exam papers I would study them and decide when dates released. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

spygirl wrote: »
    Tort is pretty vast, but no reason you couldn't get to grips with it over the next few weeks/months. If you have access to a manual and past exam papers I would study them and decide when dates released. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

wise words... i was just worried i wouldnt have the time with studying both and working full time.

does anybody have recent Tort Manual? can swap for Criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

When do you guys anticipate the additional sittings will take place?

When do you guys anticipate the additional sittings will take place?

Rumor mill saying July/Aug. Bear in mind it is the rumor mill so copious amounts of caution and salt required.

• Advertisement

Sent the Law Soc an email trying to convince them to hold all the exams during the summer - they said it will just be Tort & EU

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

lawDani wrote: »
    can anybody help me decide whether to sit EU or Tort in these re-sits?

ive never done either subject...looking for inspo before i order study material.

thanks in advance..

There is a lot in tort but it can be handy enough to pick up! You either love it or hate it. Personally I enjoyed it. I’ve never ever looked at EU but I’m going to sit it during the extra sitting! Study it for the next few months but I think it’s worth a go! Trying to sit the two from scratch could be very tough, just all depends how long we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Rumor mill saying July/Aug. Bear in mind it is the rumor mill so copious amounts of caution and salt required.

Current closing date to apply for PPC1 is July 1st. Either that’d have to change or the exams would have to be held earlier.

Do people think we’re still likely to get results for exams we did sit in the usual time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Tort
    Looking for a Tort Manuel or if anyone would know where I could buy one. Thanks in advance.

Current closing date to apply for PPC1 is July 1st. Either that’d have to change or the exams would have to be held earlier.

Do people think we’re still likely to get results for exams we did sit in the usual time frame?

Probably be easier to move the closing date in fairness. Lots of things (Firms and Blackhall included) will just have to go with the flow. Same with all of us for the moment.

Hard to say about this sittings results. Usually due out about mid may i think? Could be ok or could be delayed by a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed they are not delayed by much. Would like to be out of my misery sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

channing90 wrote: »
    Tort
    Looking for a Tort Manuel or if anyone would know where I could buy one. Thanks in advance.

Chance adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

I would say there is a possibility it will not just be EU and Tort, the full sitting for September/October might be brought forward to July to include tort and EU and the application for PPC1 cut off date will not be applicable to those affected by recent sitting those that are due to commence blackhall. It would make sense as some people were affected in the second week exams cant really argue about the first week but it might be easier for the law society to put the full sitting on earlier this year avoiding alot of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

I would say there is a possibility it will not just be EU and Tort, the full sitting for September/October might be brought forward to July to include tort and EU and the application for PPC1 cut off date will not be applicable to those affected by recent sitting those that are due to commence blackhall. It would make sense as some people were affected in the second week exams cant really argue about the first week but it might be easier for the law society to put the full sitting on earlier this year avoiding alot of issues.

I really don’t think this will happen. It would not be fair for those wishing to do the October sitting straight out of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wunwun11

Is anyone else concerned that the name "Final Examination-First Part" or FE1 implies the existence of an even more trying second part, a hidden boss level in a secret ultimate exam to end all exams?

FE2 - the Law Society Strikes Back.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

wunwun11 wrote: »
    Is anyone else concerned that the name "Final Examination-First Part" or FE1 implies the existence of an even more trying second part, a hidden boss level in a secret ultimate exam to end all exams?

FE2 - the Law Society Strikes Back.

Well you are right. Post-PPC1 exams are the FE-2. And guess what. Post-PPC2 exams are FE-3! In the Red Cow again. So here you have it. Nightmares for years ;).:eek:

Constitutional
    Would you need the newest Manuel for constitutional? Am I right in saying there’s a fair bit changing every year ?

If everybody who this would suit would please email the law society and suggest this it might work !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

How about the Tort and EU resits be done via open book exams online :)

Louis Litt wrote: »
    How about the Tort and EU resits be done via open book exams online :)

I concur.

I agree wholeheartedly. TBF, with Tort, even if you had the book open in front of you it would still not be a guaranteed pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

I agree wholeheartedly. TBF, with Tort, even if you had the book open in front of you it would still not be a guaranteed pass.

Always thought the exams should be open book. When, in practice will you ever not have material to refer to. Chartered accounts exams are mostly open book too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

Hi - I have PDF notes available for Contract, Company and Property. Will swap them for similar on Tort and European. Want to get started on these two assuming there will be a summer sitting. Please DM me if you can help.
    Thanks

Spreece wrote: »
    Hi - I have PDF notes available for Contract, Company and Property. Will swap them for similar on Tort and European. Want to get started on these two assuming there will be a summer sitting. Please DM me if you can help.
    Thanks

I need tort too preferably sample answers but I could send you Eu stuff alri.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

Probably be easier to move the closing date in fairness. Lots of things (Firms and Blackhall included) will just have to go with the flow. Same with all of us for the moment.

Hard to say about this sittings results. Usually due out about mid may i think? Could be ok or could be delayed by a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed they are not delayed by much. Would like to be out of my misery sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing they're going to be delayed. Especially with evidence suggesting covid19 has been found to survive up to 2+weeks on some surfaces.

If I was a marker, I'd wouldn't be going near papers we've touched all over without putting on a full bio-hazard suit for at least a month :)

How useful do people find the use of the legislation for the EU exam?

The only legislation I’ve used in an exam is for contract and, although it is useful, it is much easier to remember. The EU legislation seems like it would be far more of significant for the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Anybody with insight know whether the big firms will start doing redundancies/lay-offs and how that will affect trainees? Will there be deferments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Will there be deferments?

You can expect so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Legalmate

Anybody with insight know whether the big firms will start doing redundancies/lay-offs and how that will affect trainees? Will there be deferments?

The vast majority of the ten largest training firms have already confirmed deferrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Legalmate wrote: »
    The vast majority of the ten largest training firms have already confirmed deferrals.

How long are the deferrals? Are the deferrals due to COVID-19 or the economic crisis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Legalmate

How long are the deferrals? Are the deferrals due to COVID-19 or the economic crisis?

Looks to be September but TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 4 saor97

Legalmate wrote: »

Does anyone know which of the big firms have confirmed deferments and whether they got in contact with the trainees themselves re this or whether the trainees contacted the firms to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Not naming firms but I know two of the big six have deferred trainee start dates, one until July and one until September. Trainees were contacted about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lawyersuffolk

I need tort too preferably sample answers but I could send you Eu stuff alri.

I have notes on all subjects from the last two sittings I used. They’re detailed - includes everything you need from lectures, manuals and past Q’s but you can summarize it yourself or update newer cases etc, dm me if interested.

I’m so stressed that tort won’t be corrected in time for me to start PPC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

There’s no date for tort yet, right?

• Advertisement

coalition wrote: »
    There’s no date for tort yet, right?

No date

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

With everything that’s going on in the country with covid 19 and the emergency legislation introduced the next constitutional exam will be pretty interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

How useful do people find the use of the legislation for the EU exam?

The only legislation I’ve used in an exam is for contract and, although it is useful, it is much easier to remember. The EU legislation seems like it would be far more of significant for the exam

It's essential for EU imo. Contract is only relevant for one topic, EU is relevant for every topic, there is so much information it would be almost impossible to learn it off.

If you were badly stuck in the exam you could make a half decent stab at a 5th question just using the leg

I'm in the same boat but allowances will be made for sure. It's a completely unprecedented situation so they will be flexible

When will results for the March sitting be out and when the duck should I start studying for the Tort re-sit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Fe1andDone

Does anyone have Tort sample answers they can send? Or if they know someone who is selling them and can direct me, I’d appreciate it.
    I have Criminal, Property and EU I can swap. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Not naming firms but I know two of the big six have deferred trainee start dates, one until July and one until September. Trainees were contacted about this.

Do you know if they are phrasing them as new definite start dates? Or are they kind of leaving it up in the air a bit?

Also if they push 2020 back to 2021 then I assume they'll have to do the same for all years after that?

Do you know if they are phrasing them as new definite start dates? Or are they kind of leaving it up in the air a bit?

Also if they push 2020 back to 2021 then I assume they'll have to do the same for all years after that?

In 2008/2009 recession deferrals ranged from 6 months to 3 years. Don’t think it will be that bad this time but that was reality then. No firm can be definitive in this climate.

johnfás wrote: »
    In 2008/2009 recession deferrals ranged from 6 months to 3 years. Don’t think it will be that bad this time but that was reality then. No firm can be definitive in this climate.

Do you reckon the legal profession will be hit hard or is there a chance it could be ok, just seeking opinions, imo this recession will be pretty bad.

Do you reckon the legal profession will be hit hard or is there a chance it could be ok, just seeking opinions, imo this recession will be pretty bad.

Yes, it will be badly hit. Already being badly hit by Brexit in M&A activity.

johnfás wrote: »
    Yes, it will be badly hit. Already being badly hit by Brexit in M&A activity.

Was there not a positive effect on it through Brexit though with company’s relocating from uk to Dublin and increase in number uk lawyers wanting to be able to practice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cowboy123456

I’m not an expert by any means I think general expectations are that this recession won’t be on the same level as in 2008. Seems to be a number of reasons for this with the main one being that although we were probably due a naturally occurring recession, this one will have been almost artificially created by covid -19.

The advantage of the recession being accelerated like this is the fact that it will now occur while our national finances are relatively healthy meaning the government have the finances to avoid adopting a policy of austerity and instead can inject cash into the economy to jumpstart it again relatively quickly. (This of course depends on this emergency not lasting for months, which would significantly reduce the states financial ability)

As for your other question above I know one top 6 firm has phrased the covid related deferrals in definite terms, with a new start date. So it appears at the moment at least that they are not expecting to defer due to fears of recession, of course this could be subject to change as the full effect on the economy becomes clear.

My thinking on the effect this will have on law firms:

Law firms were hit really badly in 08 because the property market crashed. Property is a huge part of any corporate law firm, as well as banking which really involves property as well. Because the current recession isn't based on the complete breakdown of the property market it shouldn't have the same effect on law firms as 08 did.

I am completely uneducated on the matter and that is just my very basic reasoning! Not saying it won't hurt law firms, just that it should't be nearly as bad as 08

If it hurts SMEs and Big Corporates it hurts the law firms. If it hurts the law firms it hurts the partnership and if it hurts the partnership your training contract is the most miniscule factor in their decision making.

If it hurts SMEs and Big Corporates it hurts the law firms. If it hurts the law firms it hurts the partnership and if it hurts the partnership your training contract is the most miniscule factor in their decision making.

True enough but in the hopes that my training contract won't be thrown out the window I'm choosing to remain positive :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement