Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

channing90 wrote: »
    Dunno what I’ll do, is there any sector who’d welcome someone with a law degree and fe1s completed does anyone know.

Don't listen to the naysayers, you'll defo get a training contract. Are you based in Dublin? If not, you should consider moving up once things calm down and keep an eye out on LinkedIn for paralegal or legal executive roles.

Failing that, all firms will be recruiting as normal in October. Everyone knows that people with 8 FE1s under their belt tend to find it easier to at least get an interview. Apply for as many firms as possible and you'll be fine, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

Apologies in advance, there is probably a more appropriate forum but I heard some 2020 trainee intakes were being postponed due to the virus - can anyone shed any light on this or possible knock on effect on 2021 contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Apologies in advance, there is probably a more appropriate forum but I heard some 2020 trainee intakes were being postponed due to the virus - can anyone shed any light on this or possible knock on effect on 2021 contacts?

I have heard from friends that some firms have postponed pre seats as it was too difficult to organise remotely. In my case that is also true and I am also waiting to sit EU and Tort. I haven't heard anything about the PPC1 start being postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoaoaoao2019

Hi all, sharing in the frustration of everyone waiting for word on the EU/Tort rescheduling.

I was hoping for some advice. My intention was to sit the FE1s in two sittings of four, I passed the first lot in October and the second lot in March included tort. I passed the three I was able to sit in March, and now face the prospect of sitting one single FE1 for the first time. Can anyone advise how long it would take to study for tort by itself? I’m only experienced juggling four which I devoted 8 weeks study to, so two weeks per topic. Would it require two weeks to pass by itself? I’m thinking with just the one subject to focus on it could take even just a week? I was very comfortable with tort and spent a lot of time on it, so to say I was disappointed in the cancellation would be an understatement. Any advice much appreciated and if anyone needs any materials or tips for the other exams drop me a message and I’ll see what I can get for you!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Once you pass all 8 FE-1's... what are you supposed to do next? Are the firm supposed to send you documents, are you supposed to contact the Law Society or do they send you a letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Anyone gotten any reply re viewing scripts/rechecks yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

JCreaghy wrote: »
    This is probably the wrong forum to post on but does anyone know if it's appropriate to just email firms left, right and centre personalised CV and cover letters?

AI have 7 passed and I'm currently waiting for the rescheduled date for EU. At this rate I know I'm not going to get into a big firm due to the amount of automated responses I got in the past and the current crisis we are facing. So I guess I'm just wondering how people are tackling the whole training contract issue.

Hi - I'd recommend trying to talk to their recruiters or HR departments on Linkedin. Connect with them and send a message. That way you know who you are dealing with and know that its been read. Ask if you can send them your CV and they will then have a face to the name also. Its more personalised.

• Advertisement

lawhelp123 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but not sure where else to ask this

Depending on Friday's results I may have now passed all 8 FE1s. The thing is though that in the 2 years its taken me to do them I've come to the conclusion that I would probably rather qualify as a Barrister than a Solicitor. So with all the uncertainty around training contracts etc atm I'm strongly considering taking the plunge and just signing up for the King's Inns entrance exams this summer (or whenever they happen)

Just wondering if anyone knows if any allowance is made by King's Inns if you've already passed the FE1s? I'm assuming realistically that you still need to sit those subjects again anyway

Thanks!

Its crazy to me the amount of people on here discouraging people from their dreams. They hardly have another persons best interest at heart - its as if they are afraid someone else will succeed while they are struggling. If this is what you want to do - go ahead and make it happen. and regardless of the job situation you will have a qualification to be proud of - a result of your hard work. To be honest naysayers make me work even harder. Anyway follow your dreams and who cares what anyone else thinks!!!

and to answer your question - no allowance for FE1s but you will have the experience sitting high pressure exams so it will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

URGENT

Does anyone know the Law Society email we were supposed to write to in order to request to view our scripts? I had it open in a tab but my browser crashed and now I can't find it anywhere. It was different to the fe1recheck email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

URGENT

Does anyone know the Law Society email we were supposed to write to in order to request to view our scripts? I had it open in a tab but my browser crashed and now I can't find it anywhere. It was different to the fe1recheck email address.

fe1dataprivacy@lawsociety.ie

Send pic of your Id too with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CFeery

Does anyone have the EU law paper from March 2020 please.
    I'm hoping we get to sit this in the Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

igobuy wrote: »
    fe1dataprivacy@lawsociety.ie

Send pic of your Id too with it

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

Hi All,

Anyone here sitting Criminal, Equity, EU, and Company in October that wants to buddy up in terms of study approach, (collaborative) answer prep, motivation etc? Of course due to the times we are in, geographical location does not matter.

Thanks,
    S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

Is there any use keeping manuals for the future (PPC I & PPC II etc) or once you have passed the FE1 exams, are they okay to be sold?

Don't want to be selling something that may be useful in the future.

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Hi everyone, do you think they would let you sit the rescheduled EU and Tort exams if you hadnt been signed up for the March ones?
    I was due to do Tort in March but not EU, but I feel like it'll be at least the end of July (when the LC is) before the exams are rescheduled, so I reckon I have time to study for both.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

LJones18 wrote: »
    Is there any use keeping manuals for the future (PPC I & PPC II etc) or once you have passed the FE1 exams, are they okay to be sold?

Thanks for any help

Sell ‘em. You will get all the materials you need on the PPC courses, a mixture of OUP manuals and electronic materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

The exams in Tort and EU are open to everyone, not just those who had applied to do those subject in March. However, there are fresh doubts about the Leaving Cert in July and the Law Society is not expecting to be opening for classes until August so maybe August is a more realistic time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Would anyone be willing to share a recent EU sample answers booklet? I can swap same for most other subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

LJones18 wrote: »

Thanks for any help

You can sit Tort / EU even if you weren't paid up and registered previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, do you think they would let you sit the rescheduled EU and Tort exams if you hadnt been signed up for the March ones?
    I was due to do Tort in March but not EU, but I feel like it'll be at least the end of July (when the LC is) before the exams are rescheduled, so I reckon I have time to study for both.
    Thanks

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lawstudent20

You can sit Tort / EU even if you weren't paid up and registered previously.
    vid36 wrote: »
    The exams in Tort and EU are open to everyone, not just those who had applied to do those subject in March. However, there are fresh doubts about the Leaving Cert in July and the Law Society is not expecting to be opening for classes until August so maybe August is a more realistic time frame.

Has this been confirmed by the law society?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Has this been confirmed by the law society?

Yes, I received an email from the law society confirming it was the case that EU and Tort was open to all applications once new date was set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lawstudent20

godfather2 wrote: »
    Yes, I received an email from the law society confirming it was the case that EU and Tort was open to all applications once new date was set.

Amazing :) thanks for the reply godfather2

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

I would assume if the resit exams are open to all candidates it would be August/September as this will bring the number of applicants quite high sitting the exam. No doubt they will need to arrange large venues for same so it will push the dates out because a lot of people will sign up for this exam now who hadn't intend to as it is an extra opportunity for them.

I would assume if the resit exams are open to all candidates it would be August/September as this will bring the number of applicants quite high sitting the exam. No doubt they will need to arrange large venues for same so it will push the dates out because a lot of people will sign up for this exam now who hadn't intend to as it is an extra opportunity for them.

I can imagine this would be quite frustrating for those waiting to sit the final two to start blackhall. As no doubt they will want to sit the exam as soon as possible but with an increase in numbers surely this will affect those waiting to start blackhall to?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

It doesn’t appear to make much sense to allow everyone to apply for EU and Tort. I imagine it is easier and safer to arrange an exam just for those who applied for the March 2020 sitting as this would involve smaller numbers. They already know today the number of potential candidates for these exams. For tort is is all those who applied and for EU it is all those who applied and decided not to sit the March 2020 exam. However if they now open applications to everyone there is no telling how many extra people will apply. This also involves keeping the application period open for several weeks and then only being able to make arrangements once the final number of candidates is known.

coalition wrote: »
    It doesn’t appear to make much sense to allow everyone to apply for EU and Tort. I imagine it is easier and safer to arrange an exam just for those who applied for the March 2020 sitting as this would involve smaller numbers. They already know today the number of potential candidates for these exams. For tort is is all those who applied and for EU it is all those who applied and decided not to sit the March 2020 exam. However if they now open applications to everyone there is no telling how many extra people will apply. This also involves keeping the application period open for several weeks and then only being able to make arrangements once the final number of candidates is known.

This is exactly my thinking, doesn't this create more of a problem for the Law Society and for what reason. The people who hadn't intended on sitting Tort/EU in March have an opportunity to do so in the next sitting in October so not entirely sure why the Law Society are making it more difficult to arrange a resit with regard to current circumstances. If they already know the numbers for Tort and EU which probably aren't too large currently, surely they could arrange sooner in smaller numbers however, an open invitation for all is going to create mass amount of applications for those wanting to just sit one for the sake of "get it out of the way" etc. which I don't blame them but it will cause further delays for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

This is exactly my thinking, doesn't this create more of a problem for the Law Society and for what reason. The people who hadn't intended on sitting Tort/EU in March have an opportunity to do so in the next sitting in October so not entirely sure why the Law Society are making it more difficult to arrange a resit with regard to current circumstances. If they already know the numbers for Tort and EU which probably aren't too large currently, surely they could arrange sooner in smaller numbers however, an open invitation for all is going to create mass amount of applications for those wanting to just sit one for the sake of "get it out of the way" etc. which I don't blame them but it will cause further delays for sure.

Exactly! I sent them an emailing asking about this. I know a lot of this is out of their control but it would make sense to make smart decisions on the issues that are within their control (i.e number of applicants). It’s an unenviable job though trying to keep everyone happy.

• Advertisement

coalition wrote: »
    Exactly! I sent them an emailing asking about this. I know a lot of this is out of their control but it would make sense to make smart decisions on the issues that are within their control (i.e number of applicants). It’s an unenviable job though trying to keep everyone happy.

I will do same and I would advise others waiting to start Blackhall to also email. It might get them moving with decisions. We had a day's notice of the cancellation all of that time spent slogging totally gone to waste and now dragging this out all summer to allow mass aplications means starting study from scratch again. Preferably with numbers kept low they can arrange the sitting within weeks not months which will happen if it is an open invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

If the Leaving Certificate is cancelled, would this have any impact on the decision to host the rescheduled EU/Tort exams? What about people who are waiting on Tort and due to start in Blackhall in September/October or whenever it's due to reopen?

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    If the Leaving Certificate is cancelled, would this have any impact on the decision to host the rescheduled EU/Tort exams? What about people who are waiting on Tort and due to start in Blackhall in September/October or whenever it's due to reopen?

That is kind of what has prompted today's discussion. The law society will already have access to the numbers who were suppose to sit EU and Tort. A number of candidates still sat EU. Therefore the numbers might not be too unreasonable but the Law Society would be best placed on deciding this. However, with an open invite for all candidates to apply will affect the decision on when the resits can possibly go ahead as the higher the number the less likely for it to go ahead sooner. They could definitely organise social distancing for smaller numbers. Let's say for example some candidates starting the exam 9.30am next batch at 10am spread across a number of halls in the law society?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Hi,

How long does it usually take for the Law Society to send out the manuscripts after you have applied with copy ID?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

That is kind of what has prompted today's discussion. The law society will already have access to the numbers who were suppose to sit EU and Tort. A number of candidates still sat EU. Therefore the numbers might not be too unreasonable but the Law Society would be best placed on deciding this. However, with an open invite for all candidates to apply will affect the decision on when the resits can possibly go ahead as the higher the number the less likely for it to go ahead sooner. They could definitely organise social distancing for smaller numbers. Let's say for example some candidates starting the exam 9.30am next batch at 10am spread across a number of halls in the law society?

Do you not realise who you're dealing with? Lmao. The Law Society will take any and every opportunity they can to shake the last cent out of our pockets. It costs €115 to have an examiner re-tally up our already designated marks for an exam that cost €105 to sit... Wise up pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoaoaoao2019

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Do you not realise who you're dealing with? Lmao. The Law Society will take any and every opportunity they can to shake the last cent out of our pockets. It costs €115 to have an examiner re-tally up our already designated marks for an exam that cost €105 to sit... Wise up pal.

How much are PPC1 fees? Because they lose that for every candidate who is only waiting on EU/Tort to start in Sept who isn’t able to sit because they try open it to anyone and everyone

If you approach this from a “the law society are money grabbing bastards” perspective (yawn) then surely it is more lucrative to get as many candidates starting in September as possible than a couple hundred extra sitting EU/Tort. One in the hand better than two in the bush. Fewer PPC1 candidates is more lucrative than a greater number of FE1 candidates.

Leaving Cert cancelled. This will surely have implications for the timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

Does anyone think the FE1s might go online as the Leaving Cert has been cancelled?

They should but who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Lcork23 wrote: »
    Does anyone think the FE1s might go online as the Leaving Cert has been cancelled?

How would you do 5 essays online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JCreaghy

If they're doing predictive grades for the leaving cert would they do it for those who only had one exam left?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Is it possible to get manuals without doing the courses? Didn't do great last sitting and hoping it will improve if I have manuals , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Darragh12

Hi all. I'm thinking of doing the preparatory courses for equity and constitutional. Would anyone in particular recommend one over the other? From looking at the course outlines online they all look pretty similar. I was leaning toward Griffith since that's the one I've heard the most about people using.

Darragh12 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm thinking of doing the preparatory courses for equity and constitutional. Would anyone in particular recommend one over the other? From looking at the course outlines online they all look pretty similar. I was leaning toward Griffith since that's the one I've heard the most about people using.

are you doing them this summer? apparently Griffith cant print out manuals. id find it hard to work off just my laptop with no hard copy notes printed out so im looking for a provider that can actually print out the manuals. its annoying also as they are charging the same fees as normal and providing half the services - no access to library, no hard copy manuals - they should at least offer discounted rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Darragh12

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    are you doing them this summer? apparently Griffith cant print out manuals. id find it hard to work off just my laptop with no hard copy notes printed out so im looking for a provider that can actually print out the manuals. its annoying also as they are charging the same fees as normal and providing half the services - no access to library, no hard copy manuals - they should at least offer discounted rates.

Yeah still in two minds about it. Especially since they haven't even given a provisional date for the next sitting so starting studying now might be in vain. If I was doing it I would prefer a paper copy of the manual as well since as my notes are usually handwritten sample answer style ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

L.E.D wrote: »
    Is it possible to get manuals without doing the courses? Didn't do great last sitting and hoping it will improve if I have manuals , thanks

Don’t think you get new ones directly from the colleges but there’s a lot of second hand ones on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

How necessary is it to do expensive preparatory courses if you already did an undergrad law degree and have decent notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

For anyone worried about having most/all FE1s completed and not having a TC yet, I know people who did all 8 first and then got TCs almost immediately after! I know it'll be harder finding one at the moment with everything that's going on but I don't think anyone is going to end up in a situation where they have the exams done and can't get a TC at all

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Coulter97 wrote: »
    How necessary is it to do expensive preparatory courses if you already did an undergrad law degree and have decent notes?

Really not necessary- get the manuals secondhand and some sample answers and exam papers and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Reya10 wrote: »
    Really not necessary- get the manuals secondhand and some sample answers and exam papers and you'll be fine

Ah thanks. After paying for a 4 year degree it would hurt to shell out again for preparatory courses lol

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement