Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

Waiting for Leo’s leaving cert announcement as I think it will have a knock affect on whether or not the law society will run the two outstanding FE-1 exams

Leaving cert cancelled and predictive grades for students......law society should do the same for the remaining two FE-1s

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

igobuy wrote: »
    Leaving cert cancelled and predictive grades for students......law society should do the same for the remaining two FE-1s

How do you get predicted grades for Fe-1's when you haven't done them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Coulter97 wrote: »

Lots of people have done some or most of them and are waiting on Tort and EU to be rescheduled/ a decision to be made so that they can still make ppc1 in September. The Law Soc have a huge call to make for those students

Lots of people have done some or most of them and are waiting on Tort and EU to be rescheduled/ a decision to be made so that they can still make ppc1 in September. The Law Soc have a huge call to make for those students

They've done other subjects in the Fe-1's presumably, not the one in question. In the LC the predicted grade for English is going to be based on attainment of English over the last 2 years, not another subject entirely. You're asking the Law Society to pass people in EU law because they got Con Law 6 months ago?

The law society have to make a decision in the interests of candidates. These exams can’t go online because there not geared towards online assessment there not open books exams for a reason.

There are students today who won’t be happy with predictive grades for the LC but the reality is this virus can’t stop people from achieving there careers. And predictive grades is the fairer option based on students previous performances in the FE-1 exams.

There are candidates waiting on these two exams in order to start there training contracts in September not to mention the many hundreds of candidates who had study for EU and tort only for them to be cancelled.

The law society have to make a decision in the interests of candidates. These exams can’t go online because there not geared towards online assessment there not open books exams for a reason.

There are students today who won’t be happy with predictive grades for the LC but the reality is this virus can’t stop people from achieving there careers. And predictive grades is the fairer option based on students previous performances in the FE-1 exams.

There are candidates waiting on these two exams in order to start there training contracts in September not to mention the many hundreds of candidates who had study for EU and tort only for them to be cancelled.

That's not 'predicted grades' - you're just asking the Law Society to pass people based on a subject they haven't done before.

Either way, fairness aside, I think the big firms might end up lobbying the Law Society to pass those people so they can get their batch of trainees to come in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

How necessary is it to do expensive preparatory courses if you already did an undergrad law degree and have decent notes?

Wouldn’t bother tbh, I paid so much for three subjects with Griffith (did dit course so had never done these before) and in the end just used the manuals and exam papers and grids, all of which you can get on adverts. It’s really a question of just learning what is in the manuals which you can do yourself!

That's not 'predicted grades' - you're just asking the Law Society to pass people based on a subject they haven't done before.

Either way, fairness aside, I think the big firms might end up lobbying the Law Society to pass those people so they can get their batch of trainees to come in September.

What your suggesting is basically the same thing only phrased differently which I don’t disagree with

Has anyone actually received there results in the post? Or are they not positing them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Darragh12 wrote: »
    Yeah still in two minds about it. Especially since they haven't even given a provisional date for the next sitting so starting studying now might be in vain. If I was doing it I would prefer a paper copy of the manual as well since as my notes are usually handwritten sample answer style ones.

good news just found out that city colleges is doing hard copy manuals so this would sway me to pick them over any of the others as think its important if you are going to fork over so much money to do the prep course you should have a proper hard copy manual to review.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Reya10 wrote: »
    For anyone worried about having most/all FE1s completed and not having a TC yet, I know people who did all 8 first and then got TCs almost immediately after! I know it'll be harder finding one at the moment with everything that's going on but I don't think anyone is going to end up in a situation where they have the exams done and can't get a TC at all

This is true and it happened to me. I was getting interviews before, even making it to the final round sometimes but no luck.

After I had all 8 in October (2017), I had multiple really good TC offers soon after and was off to Blackhall September 2018.

8-Fe1s complete makes you "risk-free" for starting blackhall and the firms really like that.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    good news just found out that city colleges is doing hard copy manuals so this would sway me to pick them over any of the others as think its important if you are going to fork over so much money to do the prep course you should have a proper hard copy manual to review.

FYI Griffith post the hard copy manuals out to you once you pay for whatever courses you’re doing. The materials are also available online

mmullen wrote: »
    FYI Griffith post the hard copy manuals out to you once you pay for whatever courses you’re doing. The materials are also available online

really? because i have literally been emailing them this week about it and they said as the college is closed they wont be able to print them out for the prep courses this summer. are you referring to how they used to do it in the past...as they cant do it at the moment.

This is true and it happened to me. I was getting interviews before, even making it to the final round sometimes but no luck.

After I had all 8 in October (2017), I had multiple really good TC offers soon after and was off to Blackhall September 2018.

8-Fe1s complete makes you "risk-free" for starting blackhall and the firms really like that.

If I'm not mistaken it's seems like a lot of the big firms these days tend to hire their trainee intake from their summer interns. Arthur Cox and MHC pretty much give TC's to all their summer interns. If you want a TC, a summer internship is also a very good bet these days

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    really? because i have literally been emailing them this week about it and they said as the college is closed they wont be able to print them out for the prep courses this summer. are you referring to how they used to do it in the past...as they cant do it at the moment.

Oh apologies, I was referring to last year when I did it!

Oh apologies, I was referring to last year when I did it!

No problem!! thanks for the help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

Does anyone have the Tort paper for the October sitting 2019? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lawgrad101

Sorry if this has already been asked but has it been confirmed that we are going to be receive our exam papers before the 15th (the deadline to apply for rechecks)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bex20

Lawgrad101 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked but has it been confirmed that we are going to be receive our exam papers before the 15th (the deadline to apply for rechecks)?

I emailed asking this and they said as the office is closed it will take longer to do the GDPR requests. So I would take that as a no. Which is annoying because we can’t view them but they still want €115 for the recheck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 student2019

Would you be fine studying for the FE1s with just the manuals and without doing classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Would you be fine studying for the FE1s with just the manuals and without doing classes?

Very much so. Just make sure to get the exam papers and see if you can answer as many questions as you can. When I say answer, I don't mean writing out a few pages on each question, but more so whether you would be fit to do it in an exam. Get a grid also as you might find some topics are more popular than others with examiners so it might be worth looking at those areas in more detail. Don't try and omit large areas of the subjects - the best thing is to study broadly. Good luck :)

Hi, just wondered if anybody might have some advice on this, if you have had a similar experience. I have been offered a tc (first interview, first application) and haven’t yet applied to any other firms. I want to accept but also would like to apply to other firms as I am not 100% that this firm is where I would like to train. Has anybody been in a similar situation? How long do you usually have to decide whether or not to accept a tc? Is it a massive no no to accept and then apply elsewhere? Thank you in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Hi, just wondered if anybody might have some advice on this, if you have had a similar experience. I have been offered a tc (first interview, first application) and haven’t yet applied to any other firms. I want to accept but also would like to apply to other firms as I am not 100% that this firm is where I would like to train. Has anybody been in a similar situation? How long do you usually have to decide whether or not to accept a tc? Is it a massive no no to accept and then apply elsewhere? Thank you in advance :)

Accept it, you can always tell them your plans have changed later, its not legally binding

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Accept it, you can always tell them your plans have changed later, its not legally binding

Thanks so much :) common sense telling me this but worried I would be blacklisted hah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

Yeah, but be smart in your study!!

You can very easily focus on the completely wrong thing, and miss the whole point of a topic, if you aimlessly learn by heart from a manual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

For tort..

Is there any action in tort for a breach of privacy rights re defamation? Also, is the Kehoe v RTE case in the newer manuals? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

I have passed 5 so far over the past 2 years with manuals and a few books from library, nutshells ect..
    I work full time and in no hurry.

If you need them all quick, classes and prep course 100% defiantly.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    For tort..

Is there any action in tort for a breach of privacy rights re defamation? Also, is the Kehoe v RTE case in the newer manuals? Thanks

Interesting breakdown of damages listed here at the bottom of the page - https://www.algoodbody.com/insights-publications/court-of-appeal-upholds-finding-of-defamation-makes-declaration-of-breach-o
    Note damages for defamation and breach of privacy.

Note as well the comments made by the COA judge on the trial judge's comments re defamation/privacy. It might be worth having a look at the COA judgment in its entirety.

Re Kehoe: cannot recall coming across that case. Googled it and seems a useful one for concurrent wrongdoers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoaoaoao2019

When will everyone begin studying for the potential Tort/Eu rescheduling? Reckon we’ll get enough notice to start when it’s announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

When will everyone begin studying for the potential Tort/Eu rescheduling? Reckon we’ll get enough notice to start when it’s announced?

We’ll have to have a few weeks notice anyway. I won’t be doing anything until we’re told!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

I have all the manuals and extra materials if anyone wants to pm me

I received my refund for Tort today!

Anyone else?
    What do we think of resits based that they’re refunding the exam?

Anyone else?

Haven’t received it yet did you get in the post or did they lodge it to your bank account ? Thanks

Anyone else?

Did you ask for a refund?

so if you decide you are going to do a prep course - whats the best one or are they all relatively the same?

Haven’t received it yet did you get in the post or did they lodge it to your bank account ? Thanks

I just got an email confirmation of it.. similar to when they confirm our exam orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

I just got an email confirmation of it.. similar to when they confirm our exam orders!

But did you request the refund, if you did it doesn’t really mean anything in relation to the resit

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

But did you request the refund, if you did it doesn’t really mean anything in relation to the resit

I was offered either a refund or a deferral of the fee if that helps. I got an email from them a few weeks ago, didn’t request anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Hi guys, hope this wasn't already asked. Has anyone heard about the next sitting for EU and Tort?
    I'm doing my first round of FE1s this year and was thinking I might even get these two of out of the way before doing more in October.

Appreciate any info that people have! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 William carpenter

Hi Guys anyone studying contract? Any ideas on best way to cover the material?

Hi Guys anyone studying contract? Any ideas on best way to cover the material?

I sat it in March. Did a lot better in it than I thought as it has a high enough fail rate. My advice would be to go for as many essays as you can on the paper. They are quite specific but repeat themselves a lot. A lot of people seem to go down the wrong tracks when answering offer & acceptance problem qs and consumer protection problem qs judging by the exam reports (which by the way are quite detailed and are worth reading in detail and noting where people tend to go wrong). Additionally know the chapter on consumer protection inside out and do some research of your own. Overall, a very doable course. Not the most interesting. Good luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Hi guys, I don’t have a law background I’m a commerce student who’s looking to sit four FE1s in October (property,contract,criminal and company). I have done previous law modules in contract and company but I don’t have great notes or anything like that. I am looking to do a prep course for property and criminal as I have no background at all in either, I’m looking at Griffith/independent college, just wondering if anyone here would have any advice about the courses or just how I should start going about study in general? Thanks a mill in advance any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

Hi Guys

Planning on sitting my first four FE1s in October and to start studying from June. I was thinking about sitting Contract, Equity, Tort and Constitutional in the first sitting and the remaining four in March 2021 all going well.

I've seen a few people saying that equity is one of the hardest to pass so would it be better to leave this to the second sitting once I have a few under my belt?

I'm going to keep EU and Constitutional separate but other than that i'm not sure what would be the best four to start of with.

Any advice is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

HU123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Planning on sitting my first four FE1s in October and to start studying from June. I was thinking about sitting Contract, Equity, Tort and Constitutional in the first sitting and the remaining four in March 2021 all going well.

I've seen a few people saying that equity is one of the hardest to pass so would it be better to leave this to the second sitting once I have a few under my belt?

I'm going to keep EU and Constitutional separate but other than that i'm not sure what would be the best four to start of with.

It’s entirely a personal choice on what to sit! I would have said to sit the 4 shortest subjects to cover when the magic 3 was around but since that is done away with now, I would do whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally, I found equity ok! I just went over past exam papers as all the questions are more or less the same apart from a name change here and there! Maybe try to sit Criminal instead of equity if you feel it might be the hardest, criminal is very do-able!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lawhelp123

HU123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I would advise doing EU instead of constitutional.

I know the advice is always to be keep EU and Constitutional separate, but imo Tort is at least as big of a course as EU and as much work if not more, due to the Tort exam being far less predictable. Of the three subjects, Constitutional was by far the biggest course, with the least scope to leave things out, and I personally found it the hardest exam. By contrast, I found EU pretty doable, the course is big but the exam is super predictable and you can leave stuff out fairly safely. It’s also marked relatively easy.

I’m assuming you’re planning on getting them done in just 2 sittings and you’re trying to split your subjects evenly and not leave yourself horrible ones for the second sitting, but honestly I wouldn’t advise doing Constitutional for a first sitting.

Criminal and Property are traditional choices for first sittings, they’re both pretty easy exams and Property is super predictable.

Contract and Equity are both small courses but have a reputation for being harder with high failure rates. I personally found the opposite, and did way better than expected, as I think I do better in exams where the focus is on understanding the material rather than having vast amounts to learn off.

You’ll know your own strengths when it comes to Property & Criminal vs Contract & Equity, but do look at past papers before you decide.

The last thing I would say is make sure to check the timetable. No point in making perfect subject choices if it’s gonna leave you with 3/4 exams in a row!

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Hi guys, I don’t have a law background I’m a commerce student who’s looking to sit four FE1s in October (property,contract,criminal and company). I have done previous law modules in contract and company but I don’t have great notes or anything like that. I am looking to do a prep course for property and criminal as I have no background at all in either, I’m looking at Griffith/independent college, just wondering if anyone here would have any advice about the courses or just how I should start going about study in general? Thanks a mill in advance any help would be greatly appreciated

Ive been debating myself about the best prep course for kings inns tbh im finding city colleges the most engaging and flexible during this covid-19 time and they are offering hard copy manuals. Griffith not doing hard copy manuals at the moment and wont offer any discount even though they will have less services and independent still havent decided what they are doing for the course.

lawhelp123 wrote: »
    I would advise doing EU instead of constitutional.

I know the advice is always to be keep EU and Constitutional separate, but imo Tort is at least as big of a course as EU and as much work if not more, due to the Tort exam being far less predictable. Of the three subjects, Constitutional was by far the biggest course, with the least scope to leave things out, and I personally found it the hardest exam. By contrast, I found EU pretty doable, the course is big but the exam is super predictable and you can leave stuff out fairly safely. It’s also marked relatively easy.

I’m assuming you’re planning on getting them done in just 2 sittings and you’re trying to split your subjects evenly and not leave yourself horrible ones for the second sitting, but honestly I wouldn’t advise doing Constitutional for a first sitting.

Criminal and Property are traditional choices for first sittings, they’re both pretty easy exams and Property is super predictable.

Contract and Equity are both small courses but have a reputation for being harder with high failure rates. I personally found the opposite, and did way better than expected, as I think I do better in exams where the focus is on understanding the material rather than having vast amounts to learn off.

You’ll know your own strengths when it comes to Property & Criminal vs Contract & Equity, but do look at past papers before you decide.

The last thing I would say is make sure to check the timetable. No point in making perfect subject choices if it’s gonna leave you with 3/4 exams in a row!

I would second this, Criminal and Property both very doable. Don’t be put off by the size of the EU manual - the topics themselves are not very complex, the exam is predictable and the examiner is lovely. I did tort alongside EU my first sitting and was glad to get it out of the way - yes the course is long but you have time and I found the actual exam to be much easier than constitutional, where the course is broad but it’s also difficult to identify issues from the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

We’ll have to have a few weeks notice anyway. I won’t be doing anything until we’re told!

Same it is too soon and unpredictable, reading down further it isn't looking promising if they are issuing refunds! :(

• Advertisement

Are those receiving refunds receiving them because they had asked for a refund instead of deferring to the rescheduled sitting? Or are they receiving unsolicited refunds?

Stressing waiting for a refund to come through the door when I’m already a nervous wreck waiting for the rescheduled dates

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement