Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

In the end I have decided to go with Lawschool for the Kings Inns prep course as they are more focused on exam technique rather than learning off materials from manuals etc so I think that is a better approach for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

Are those receiving refunds receiving them because they had asked for a refund instead of deferring to the rescheduled sitting? Or are they receiving unsolicited refunds?

Stressing waiting for a refund to come through the door when I’m already a nervous wreck waiting for the rescheduled dates

I was a bit confused about this too. I asked for a deferral when the law society gave us the option to defer the tort exam over Covid. So I’ve now assumed I don’t get a refund because I didn’t ask for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

igobuy wrote: »
    I was a bit confused about this too. I asked for a deferral when the law society gave us the option to defer the tort exam over Covid. So I’ve now assumed I don’t get a refund because I didn’t ask for one.

People are definitely only receiving refunds because they requested them.

I am also awaiting info on rescheduled dates. The lack of information is nothing short of a disgrace at this stage, particularly for people for whom this is their 8th exam.

People are definitely only receiving refunds because they requested them.

I am always awaiting info on scheduled dates. The lack of information is nothing short of a disgrace at this stage, particularly for people for whom this is their 8th exam.

I agree it is disgrace that date hasn’t been set for rescheduled exams. As various industries across Ireland have been given dates of when it’s safe for them to go back to work. Radio silence isn’t good enough from them. At least the leaving certs have been given a plan and other professional exams such as QFA’s I think that’s what there called have gone online.

And if they aren’t going to hold the 2 remaining fe1 exams and just have the sitting as usual in the October well they need to notify us of this sooner rather than later. We all know the months/weeks leading up to the exams goes pretty fast.

Maybe we should start an online petition

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

igobuy wrote: »
    I agree it is disgrace that date hasn’t been set for rescheduled exams. As various industries across Ireland have been given dates of when it’s safe for them to go back to work. Radio silence isn’t good enough from them. At least the leaving certs have been given a plan and other professional exams such as QFA’s I think that’s what there called have gone online.

And if they aren’t going to hold the 2 remaining fe1 exams and just have the sitting as usual in the October well they need to notify us of this sooner rather than later. We all know the months/weeks leading up to the exams goes pretty fast.

Maybe we should start an online petition

whats the response when you call or email them? there is an education committee meeting due to be held tomorrow - 14th May so maybe there will be more info available then.....

• Advertisement

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    whats the response when you call or email them? there is an education committee meeting due to be held tomorrow - 14th May so maybe there will be more info available then.....

That they will hold the two exams but no date as to when.....I wouldn’t hold my breath about hearing from them after that meeting tomo

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Anybody had their Training Contracts deferred? I've heard UK firms usually throw cash down when they defer to keep the trainees happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

Just been informed I've lost my TC

Very sorry to hear this mate. If you don't mind me asking, is this is a small, medium or large firm?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Really sorry to hear :(

Could it be deferred?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

mmullen wrote: »
    I would second this, Criminal and Property both very doable. Don’t be put off by the size of the EU manual - the topics themselves are not very complex, the exam is predictable and the examiner is lovely. I did tort alongside EU my first sitting and was glad to get it out of the way - yes the course is long but you have time and I found the actual exam to be much easier than constitutional, where the course is broad but it’s also difficult to identify issues from the questions.
    Thanks everyone - when do the law society usually issue the timetable? I need to decide in the next couple of weeks so don't think I will have time to consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    In the end I have decided to go with Lawschool for the Kings Inns prep course as they are more focused on exam technique rather than learning off materials from manuals etc so I think that is a better approach for me.
    I think I am going to go with lawschool too

MOD
    Pls do not discuss the various courses etc here

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

Hi everyone,
    Sitting my first four in October but I'm unsure as to what is the best way to go about it. I had planned to sit tort, constitutional, criminal, and contract and see how I get on with them. Would anyone substitute any subject there for another? I also see that tort has been rescheduled, does this mean I would have to sit on the rescheduled date or would I still be able to sit it in the October sitting?
    Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Pengo11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Sitting my first four in October but I'm unsure as to what is the best way to go about it. I had planned to sit tort, constitutional, criminal, and contract and see how I get on with them. Would anyone substitute any subject there for another? I also see that tort has been rescheduled, does this mean I would have to sit on the rescheduled date or would I still be able to sit it in the October sitting?
    Thanks everyone.

I wouldn’t sit tort and constitutional together. They’re both enormous and there’s no real rhyme or reason to what appears on any given paper so you have to cover loads to be safe. I’d say pick one or the other and then substitute property or maybe equity for the other.

Criminal is very handy to be honest, you can cover the whole course easily enough if you really want. He’s also a nice marker - It’s the only one I broke 60 in. Contract isn’t terrible either, more topics to cover but I found the individual topics aren’t too content-heavy. Property is another nice enough one I think. Equity is made difficult by its technicality as opposed to its size.

Tort and EU are supposedly being rescheduled, but radio silence from the LS on this. That’s not even a criticism really, sure the leaving cert has just been cancelled haha. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

HU123 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - when do the law society usually issue the timetable? I need to decide in the next couple of weeks so don't think I will have time to consider it.

The timetable will be attached to the application form for the next sitting, which is usually released at the same time as the results for the previous sitting (which in this case was May 1st).

As far as I can see there’s no application form for October 2020 available yet though, I’m sure it’s up in the air because of the coronavirus situation.

People are still waiting to hear about the additional sitting for Tort and EU too, so hopefully they’ll be making decisions and announcing timetables soon.

Either way, the application form for the October sitting won’t be due until the end of August (or maybe even later in the circumstances) so you definitely have loads of time to decide on subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Does anyone know whether the timetable/order of exams changes every year? just done my first round of exams in March (only got 2 done because of the cancellations) and I am trying to decide which ones to do next. I want to base my choice on the timetable but i am planning on doing prep courses so need to decide soon enough.

The fact they have told us nothing re Tort and EU is making this so much more difficult! I wish they would just tell us whether there really will be an extra sitting for these exams or not. And I haven't even received my results in the post yet which is mad??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether the timetable/order of exams changes every year? just done my first round of exams in March (only got 2 done because of the cancellations) and I am trying to decide which ones to do next. I want to base my choice on the timetable but don't want to wait until the October timetable comes out as I am going to sign up to City Colleges prep courses.

The fact they have told us nothing re Tort and EU is making this so much more difficult! I wish they would just tell us whether there really will be an extra sitting for these exams or not. And I haven't even received my results in the post yet which is mad??

Unfortunately it does usually change yeah! Hopefully they’ll release it soon. Whatever about Tort and EU sittings over the summer, surely they can make plans for October at this stage?

EAL2019 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it does usually change yeah! Hopefully they’ll release it soon. Whatever about Tort and EU sittings over the summer, surely they can make plans for October at this stage?

Exactly! I understand that everything will be a bit slower due to everything that is going on at the moment but I don't think sending an email to everyone with an update is too much to ask.

I really feel for the people who only have Tort left to do and are effectively now in limbo waiting for news! hopefully a timetable for October and a decision on Tort/EU will be released over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Finding it next to impossible to get back to studying for EU and Tort.

Just give me a provisional date pls so I can get my sh*t together

Same here:( I feel really guilty because I haven't done anything for them! Need them to set a date to give me the motivation

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if its allowed to sit the Fe-1's while still being an undergraduate student?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its allowed to sit the Fe-1's while still being an undergraduate student?

I believe you are allowed as of January this year. The Law Society changed the rules. I think anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

I've decided not to bother starting studying until we are given a date. It's not worth placing an indeterminate duration of stress on ourselves in the midst of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sim1yoyo

Yeah pretty sure you can provided you have passed one full year of law at undergraduate level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Has anyone received their scripts yet? The deadline for rechecks is tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Has anyone received their scripts yet? The deadline for rechecks is tomorrow

From previous experience, the pdf of the script will not arrive before the re-check deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I've decided not to bother starting studying until we are given a date. It's not worth placing an indeterminate duration of stress on ourselves in the midst of a pandemic.

I would be inclined to do the same but my worry is that it will be absolutely hectic once I am back to work and the firm may not be so willing to give me much time off when the exams do come around. So I kind of feel obligated to make the most of it while I'm not working, though so far I have not done so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

HU123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Planning on sitting my first four FE1s in October and to start studying from June. I was thinking about sitting Contract, Equity, Tort and Constitutional in the first sitting and the remaining four in March 2021 all going well.

I've seen a few people saying that equity is one of the hardest to pass so would it be better to leave this to the second sitting once I have a few under my belt?

I'm going to keep EU and Constitutional separate but other than that i'm not sure what would be the best four to start of with.

Any advice is much appreciated.

They're 4 tough subjects to start. I started with Property and Criminal in my first set. Nice exams. Nice content. Criminal is broad but interesting and doable and he is a nice marker. Got high 60s in both exams and it really set me up confidence wise for the next set. I would definitely recommend sitting these 2 in your first set. I have passed Tort but it was a tough exam to study for in regards to it's volume. Best of luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

Finding it very tough to get through Tort at the moment, Trying to read just one sample answer a night to keep something going...even a provisional realistic date just to have in the back of your mind would do...just need to pass it to have all 8 done 😅 I’d be thinking they’d have to change the tables and offer it to only those who were due to sit it in March to make the exam doable earlier...I’d be very annoyed if they don’t have it before blackhall In September but I’d wonder would blackhall be very different this year, even online for PPC1!? Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

I really think it would be very unfair to delay it due to it being open to all candidates considering the October sitting will be just around the corner. I've no doubt those who are waiting to sit the resits to start blackhall are extremely stressed and those candidates should take priority.

I have heard blackhall may be online but to be fair could be just a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

I really think it would be very unfair to delay it due to it being open to all candidates considering the October sitting will be just around the corner. I've no doubt those who are waiting to sit the resits to start blackhall are extremely stressed and those candidates should take priority.

This is my concern.
    IF* the resits are happening around August, do we reckon they would be holding the October sitting?

lawDani wrote: »
    This is my concern.
    IF* the resits are happening around August, do we reckon they would be holding the October sitting?

I would assume so if schools are reopened by then I cannot see why the full exam sitting would not go ahead. Worse case scenario it might be held later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rainbow25

If anyone is looking for manuals, exam papers, sample answers etc for any of the FE1s send me a message!

From a total newbie (me!) does anybody that have completed the exams have any recommendations which 4 subjects I should start with? I've heard some subjects are more difficult than others but that may be completely subjective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Isnt the whole idea of viewing the script to decide whether or not to have it appealed? I dont understand why they cant even reply to emails to confirm this? I was going to decide about appealing when I saw my script for constitution, I got 46 but without viewing how can I? It doesnt make any sense. I persume everyone working remotely from home in the law society can access their emails! Well the deadline is today and still no response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

CMUL wrote: »
    Isnt the whole idea of viewing the script to decide whether or not to have it appealed? I dont understand why they cant even reply to emails to confirm this? I was going to decide about appealing when I saw my script for constitution, I got 46 but without viewing how can I? It doesnt make any sense. I persume everyone working remotely from home in the law society can access their emails! Well the deadline is today and still no response.

I'm on the exact same boat, it's ridiculous imo. Will be sending them an email complaining later, you should do the same.

From a total newbie (me!) does anybody that have completed the exams have any recommendations which 4 subjects I should start with? I've heard some subjects are more difficult than others but that may be completely subjective

Timetable is a hugely important factor in deciding ! It’s tough to sit 2 in 2 days...I’ve done it twice and passed all 4 buts it’s energy sapping and you will inevitably be slightly less prepared for the 2nd day but it’s doable... the first sitting last October I chose Property, criminal, contract and EU! Found them nicest to study and pass

Law000 wrote: »
    Timetable is a hugely important factor in deciding ! It’s tough to sit 2 in 2 days...I’ve done it twice and passed all 4 buts it’s energy sapping and you will inevitably be slightly less prepared for the 2nd day but it’s doable... the first sitting last October I chose Property, criminal, contract and EU! Found them nicest to study and pass

Thanks for that! Is there any 2 subjects that you definitely shouldn't take together?

Thanks for that! Is there any 2 subjects that you definitely shouldn't take together?

Constitutional and EU I’d say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Hey did anyone get the actual letter from the Law Society, work won't take a screenshot as proof I've passed the exams! I don't know if it got lost in the post or whether no one got one yet. (Perhaps they are all just working remotely but just in case).

Hey did anyone get the actual letter from the Law Society, work won't take a screenshot as proof I've passed the exams! I don't know if it got lost in the post or whether no one got one yet. (Perhaps they are all just working remotely but just in case).

No sign yet. I presume they're not issuing them until they've decided on the re-sit dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

As the previous poster said, largely dependent on timetable. I know a lot of people who went with whatever exam were on the second day after the previous one no matter which ones they were. I've previously sat three in a row (passed them all at the time, but the extra day before to cram one as well as just not being incredibly sleep deprived is a serious advantage when you consider how fatiguing these exams are).

The three everyone should always do first are (imo): Property, Criminal and Equity. By far the shortest and simplest courses with pass rates to reflect this (apart from Equity, but Equity's exam paper is very repetitive).

People then usually suggest Contract or Tort as the fourth subject. I disagree with this; I think both are next in difficulty to Constitutional. People think they are a lot easier/smaller than they are and then are surprised when they fail them.

I would suggest the three above and EU. EU is very long but straightforward. And it would mean that, assuming you passed those four, you wouldn't have to sit EU and Constitutional in the same sitting.

DO NOT start with Constitutional.

As the previous poster said, largely dependent on timetable. I know a lot of people who went with whatever exam were on the second day after the previous one no matter which ones they were. I've previously sat three in a row (passed them all at the time, but the extra day before to cram one as well as just not being incredibly sleep deprived is a serious advantage when you consider how fatiguing these exams are).

The three everyone should always do first are (imo): Property, Criminal and Equity. By far the shortest and simplest courses with pass rates to reflect this (apart from Equity, but Equity's exam paper is very repetitive).

People then usually suggest Contract or Tort as the fourth subject. I disagree with this; I think both are next in difficulty to Constitutional. People think they are a lot easier/smaller than they are and then are surprised when they fail them.

I would suggest the three above and EU. EU is very long but straightforward. And it would mean that, assuming you passed those four, you wouldn't have to sit EU and Constitutional in the same sitting.

DO NOT start with Constitutional.

Thanks for writing this up. Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

Just got an email tonight with my two scripts from the law society after I paid the €230 fee to have them re-checked today. It seems pointless now having them re-checked.
    Do you think I can cancel my application to have them re-checked now after viewing my scripts and get a refund. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

Was looking at purchasing some manuals off of Gumtree etc - a lot of the manuals being sold are Autumn 2019. Does anybody know if these manuals would suffice for the October sitting 2020?

Was looking at purchasing some manuals off of Gumtree etc - a lot of the manuals being sold are Autumn 2019. Does anybody know if these manuals would suffice for the October sitting 2020?

I’ve the most up to date manuals/sample answers/past qs/reports etc for all 8 subjects and would email you PDF forms no problem...I’ll throw you a PM...anyone else looking for them drop me a message!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

Yes those would definitely be recent enough

milktray22 wrote: »
    Just got an email tonight with my two scripts from the law society after I paid the €230 fee to have them re-checked today. It seems pointless now having them re-checked.
    Do you think I can cancel my application to have them re-checked now after viewing my scripts and get a refund. Thanks

Probably if you email them now?

Did everyone else get their scripts last night? I didn’t get anything

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

Probably if you email them now?

Did everyone else get their scripts last night? I didn’t get anything

No I didn’t get my script back yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement