Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

I got the email last night at 8pm with my scripts. One of my papers was checked by the internal and external examiner. I got a smaller mark with the external examiner. Does anyone know if it is the same external examiner who rechecks the paper as I am thinking of asking for a refund for my recheck application. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

milktray22 wrote: »
    I got the email last night at 8pm with my scripts. One of my papers was checked by the internal and external examiner. I got a smaller mark with the external examiner. Does anyone know if it is the same external examiner who rechecks the paper as I am thinking of asking for a refund for my recheck application. Thanks

I am in the same situation. Both marked mine and just paid for a recheck they both gave me 46!

Anyone any advice or experience with having a recheck done with both examiners already marked? I would assume LS would allow the change of mind given we received tje script after paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pc_law

[deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

[mod deletion

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Lealaw wrote: »
    Completely agree, Law000 was so helpful and prompt with the notes! Thanks a million! I'd recommend to anyone looking for notes

Would be skeptical of this - user only set up to leave this comment and straight after the one above.

Would be skeptical of this - user only set up to leave this comment and straight after the one above.
    mod deletion

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭to99

mod deletion

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

We're onto you, Law000. The full investigative resources of tired Fe-1 candidates is at the ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Completely agree, Law000 was so helpful and prompt with the notes! Thanks a million! I'd recommend to anyone looking for notes
    mod deletion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

Coulter97 wrote: »
    We're onto you, Law000. The full investigative resources of tired Fe-1 candidates is at the ready.

Mod deletion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Pls do not use this forum for selling or promoting anything,

If it wasn't clear Law000, I was being sarcastic ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

If it wasn't clear Law000, I was being sarcastic ;)

Hard to tell from texts...all good bud, only trying to be sound for these exams! They’re stressful enough 🙂 Best of luck with them anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EAA123

Hi

just wondering which would people be more inclined to take a preparation course for, company or constitutional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

EAA123 wrote: »
    Hi

just wondering which would people be more inclined to take a preparation course for, company or constitutional?

In my opinion, a preparation course is only necessary if you are totally new to law. And even then, I think the exams are doable without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

Would anybody be kind enough to send me Company Law Grid?

Anyone have any advice on taking 4 verses 5 exams first time? Will I be stretching myself if I do that? Or is it better to have more chances of getting the required 3 passes first time?

Anyone have any advice on taking 4 verses 5 exams first time? Will I be stretching myself if I do that? Or is it better to have more chances of getting the required 3 passes first time?

I think this year, in January 2020, the regulations changed and you only need to pass one in any FE-1 sitting. But only getting into it myself so I'm not in a position to advise

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

The magic three requirement is gone as of January, if you only pass one you won’t have to repeat that again :)

• Advertisement

mmullen wrote: »
    The magic three requirement is gone as of January, if you only pass one you won’t have to repeat that again :)

? The actual Law Society website (https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Become-a-Solicitor/FE-1-Exam/FE-1-Rules/) says:

"A candidate sitting the Examination for the first time who is sitting threeor more examinations must achieve a pass mark in at least three of the examinations in order to be deemed to have passed those examinations."

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

? The actual Law Society website (https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Become-a-Solicitor/FE-1-Exam/FE-1-Rules/) says:

"A candidate sitting the Examination for the first time who is sitting threeor more examinations must achieve a pass mark in at least three of the examinations in order to be deemed to have passed those examinations."

This is definitely not the case anymore. Since the rule change people have even been allowed to carry forward passes excluded under the old rules by just emailing the law society, myself included.

This is definitely not the case anymore. Since the rule change people have even been allowed to carry forward passes excluded under the old rules by just emailing the law society, myself included.

Where can I see the rule change? The official website says otherwise.

You might think months after a rule was changed, the Law Society might actually update their website to reflect this instead of leaving a rule that doesn't apply anymore. What an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Where can I see the rule change? The official website says otherwise.

I think you are looking at an old page. But I agree that it should be removed from the site at this stage.
    The new rules are contained in a pdf doc on the website.
    (https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/fe-1/fe1rules.pdf)

I couldn't copy over the text from the pdf but I believe the relevant rule is at the second last paragraph of Appendix A on page 8.

Hi had anyone ever paid for a recheck before that had been marked by the internal and external examiner? Am I wasting my money? I got 46 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 superS

Hi all

I emailed the Law Society, asking when the timetable for the Oct sitting will be released and they said further information will be available in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Thanks superS. Has anyone emailed asking for an update on the re-sits dates for Tort and EU before i go off an do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

Hi had anyone ever paid for a recheck before that had been marked by the internal and external examiner? Am I wasting my money? I got 46 percent.

46 is worth a recheck

Has anyone ever actually been brought up in Equity, judging by past comments it is very unlikely. I wrote 5 questions and felt quite confident on the topic. Strange. I got 41 percent in the last sitting and the paper was awful absolutely baffled with these exams. Felt the 46 was definitely a very unfair mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Has anyone ever actually been brought up in Equity, judging by past comments it is very unlikely. I wrote 5 questions and felt quite confident on the topic. Strange. I got 41 percent in the last sitting and the paper was awful absolutely baffled with these exams. Felt the 46 was definitely a very unfair mark.

I'm also wondering if anyone has got brought up in Equity? I got 41. I was sent my paper and I did have one quite weak question but the marking doesn't make sense on my stronger questions. It genuinely seems to me they pick a random number. Theres no way to tell where you are getting marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 superS

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Thanks superS. Has anyone emailed asking for an update on the re-sits dates for Tort and EU before i go off an do so.

They just said as soon as the current health crisis permits?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

superS wrote: »
    They just said as soon as the current health crisis permits?

Is the question mark a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JHalpin

Hey guys,

Juding by some of your comments, would I be correct in saying that you have received your scripts to view? I haven't paid for a recheck as I wanted to see the paper first but I still haven't received my scripts yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Coopie wrote: »
    Is the question mark a typo?

maybe law society are wondering if u know :pac:

JHalpin wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Juding by some of your comments, would I be correct in saying that you have received your scripts to view? I haven't paid for a recheck as I wanted to see the paper first but I still haven't received my scripts yet!

I haven’t got my script back either.

Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Hey guys,

I didn’t realise until I read here that they are actually working to send people PDFs of their script. I returned my recheck form but I’m going to hold off paying until I’ve seen the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

Hey guys,

Haven’t gotten my script yet either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Chickennugget1

If anyone follows Law Hero on Instagram she put up a video on Friday saying if anyone had trouble with receiving scripts in relation to the recheck deadline to message her and she would try help.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Do people think that there really will be a resit of Tort/EU or will they just have to scrap the resit plan and do all exams as normal in October?

The lack of communication from the Law Society has been crazy I wish that they would just give us an email with some information! Especially with the preparatory courses starting soon and people waiting on an exam timetable to pick which topics to do for October.

Has anybody been studying for tort/October sitting of exams? finding it super hard to motivate myself to look over anything:(

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

For people taking the City Colleges prep courses, have you received or know when you might receive your manuals?

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Do people think that there really will be a resit of Tort/EU or will they just have to scrap the resit plan and do all exams as normal in October?

The lack of communication from the Law Society has been crazy I wish that they would just give us an email with some information! Especially with the preparatory courses starting soon and people waiting on an exam timetable to pick which topics to do for October.

Has anybody been studying for tort/October sitting of exams? finding it super hard to motivate myself to look over anything:(

I think they will scrap the resits. I haven’t done any study- I need to know when the exams are on so I can get motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I think they will definitely have the resits because my training contract starts for Blackhall this September and I will be goddamn p*ssed if they screw me over :mad:

In fairness places are starting to reopen and I rang the law society at the time when I was deciding if I would go to EU or not and was told 100% they would have the exams in time for Blackhall by any means necessary. Even if they had them in August they could make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

I think they will definitely have the resits because my training contract starts for Blackhall this September and I will be goddamn p*ssed if they screw me over :mad:

In fairness places are starting to reopen and I rang the law society at the time when I was deciding if I would go to EU or not and was told 100% they would have the exams in time for Blackhall by any means necessary. Even if they had them in August they could make it work

Thank you for this reassurance! I’m in the same position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

I'm also waiting to sit postponed exams. My firm contacted me last week and are of the belief that the exams are going ahead early August with results to be released in time for a September start in Blackhall.

Not sure where their info is coming from, but I'm holding onto that hope for now and going to start studying again this week.

I would agree with the above in that the LS most likely will not hold the exams till August when all restrictions have lifted, as July is probably a little too optimistic. August would allow for the results to be passed in time for blackhall or some alternative approach i.e. candidates starting at a later date. Again I do think candidates with a possible option of blackhall really should take priority followed by those who were signed up to sit the exam in the first instance. For the record I do not have a secured TC but I would certainly be very frustrated if the exam was being delayed to allow "all" candidates apply notwithstanding for obvious health and safety reasons. It would also delay the results as the examiners will no doubt have a lot more papers to mark. I have no doubt the October sitting will go ahead as planned well unless there was a second wave.

Guys - Do City colleges sell the manuals on their own?

Would anyone know if the timetables for the FE-1s change or would I be okay picking my subjects based on the exam timetable in March?

Obviously, the dates are not yet confirmed but more looking at the order of the exams to try and avoid having back to back exams. Trying to avoid that stress.

Would anyone know if the timetables for the FE-1s change or would I be okay picking my subjects based on the exam timetable in March?

Obviously, the dates are not yet confirmed but more looking at the order of the exams to try and avoid having back to back exams. Trying to avoid that stress.

Changes every year. My advice would be to wait until the timetable comes out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement