Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

Hi everyone. I am starting study for FE1s in September and I was wondering if anyone would mind sending on some of the more recent exam papers? I didn't want to buy them from the Law Society (money grabbers!) If anyone was generous enough to send them on, thank you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fe1newbie

Just joined the Fe1 group there as I was told it’s quite helpful for people embarking on these gruelling exams. I plan to sit 5 exams in October and hopefully obtain 4 passes, a fifth would be a bonus, I’m purchased some notes off someone I know but I was also wondering how useful the prep courses would be? I’m thinking of doing them for all exams and wondering how good materials actually are and are they worth the large sum of moneys.
    I’d appreciate any feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Fe1newbie wrote: »
    Just joined the Fe1 group there as I was told it’s quite helpful for people embarking on these gruelling exams. I plan to sit 5 exams in October and hopefully obtain 4 passes, a fifth would be a bonus, I’m purchased some notes off someone I know but I was also wondering how useful the prep courses would be? I’m thinking of doing them for all exams and wondering how good materials actually are and are they worth the large sum of moneys.

General view is that if you have already have a good law degree, then prep courses are unnecessary and not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

I did an arts degree for my undergrad and went on to do a one year postgrad conversion diploma in law. I did the city colleges prep courses for all of the exams I sat in March and found them to be so so helpful. I definitely wouldn't have done as well without them! But that being said maybe if I had done a pure law degree for 4 years I probably wouldn't have done the prep course. I am planning on doing the same prep course for the rest of the subjects that I have left

Changes every year. My advice would be to wait until the timetable comes out.

Do you know when the Law Society usually release the timetable/application form for the October sitting? someone told me that it's not until August but not sure how true this is

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

What is the FE1 group?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

[HTML][/HTML]
    Iso_123 wrote: »
    Do you know when the Law Society usually release the timetable/application form for the October sitting? someone told me that it's not until August but not sure how true this is

Someone a few posts back emailed them and they said they would release a timetable in June.

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Someone a few posts back emailed them and they said they would release a timetable in June.

Oh I didn't see that, thank you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

Looking for contract law past papers from 2016-2020 if anyone could help out please. Willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CSC1997

Would anyone know if nutshells are of any use when studying? have a decent set of notes already just something to resort back to. Or are the manuals better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Pengo11 wrote: »
    Looking for contract law past papers from 2016-2020 if anyone could help out please. Willing to pay.

I can help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

CSC1997 wrote: »
    Would anyone know if nutshells are of any use when studying? have a decent set of notes already just something to resort back to. Or are the manuals better?

I just used the manuals and then made my own notes from them.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    General view is that if you have already have a good law degree, then prep courses are unnecessary and not worth the money.

They are quite hefty to invest in, so in the end I went for 2019 manuals and examiners reports and past papers (decided to take Tort, EU, Equity, Criminal, contract and Constitutional) I got off a friend who did them in October of last year.
    I reckon that these would suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

They are quite hefty to invest in, so in the end I went for 2019 manuals and examiners reports and past papers (decided to take Tort, EU, Equity, Criminal, contract and Constitutional) I got off a friend who did them in October of last year.

Honestly that is a bad five to take together. I know that’s really annoying to hear but if you scroll back a few pages there’s quite a lot of recent discussion on choosing subjects for your first sitting. I think you should take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

EU, Constitutional, and Tort is genuinely the worst combo to take.

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Had a look back over what people have suggested and I’m going to go with Tort, EU, Criminal and Equity...potentially contract depending on timetable as advised.
    I’ve now extra notes on some other subjects but handy to have them for down the line.
    I can give notes to people now that I have them if they’d like them. I’m not sure how good they are but they’re 2018/2019 manuals, etc so I presume they’re ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoaoaoao2019

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Had a look back over what people have suggested and I’m going to go with Tort, EU, Criminal and Equity...potentially contract depending on timetable as advised.
    I’ve now extra notes on some other subjects but handy to have them for down the line.
    I can give notes to people now that I have them if they’d like them. I’m not sure how good they are but they’re 2018/2019 manuals, etc so I presume they’re ok?
    Yea they should be fine. One piece of advice I would have when using older manuals, I’m sure it’s been mentioned already and probably worth reading over the previous pages on this thread, if there’s an important case discussed in the manual but it appears to not have been concluded e.g. it’s at court of appeal, just give it a google to check if there’s been a conclusive ruling made at a higher court. Also any topics that the manual might mention is a developing area, just give it a brief google and do some research to see where that development has led. I think that really aids understanding plus any answers you give in the exam will reflect up to date knowledge. Resources like Irish Legal News and firm blogs can be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Blue_pens17

I do hope that everyone who is relying on the additional sitting for Tort/EU are making their concerns known to the Law Soc. We are now less than two months from the deadline for PPC1 Indentures and students have still heard nothing definite from the Law Soc. Disgraceful to put students/trainees through this...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

So long as there are places on the PPC 1, the Law Society will keep accepting applications. Some late applications were even accepted in September last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 JHalpin

Hey guys- still no sign of viewing the papers. I didn't send in a recheck form because I didn't want to waste money on a paper I hadn't seen, is this why I haven't received mine yet? The closing date has passed for a recheck, so me seeing my papers is not a priority?

I want to see them because I'm disheartened and confused as to why I have failed. I'm convinced there has been an error in adding up my marks or I was completely off in one of my questions.

I also plan on taking up a prep course, and want to see if I need one in the subject that I failed. They start on the 2nd of June, so I'm at a loss as to what to do, it has been 3 weeks and no sign of any papers despite some candidates having received their last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

Has anyone had a reply when they email fe1 section email?
    I have emailed twice now over the past 2 months and no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Has anyone else not received the actual letter setting out results? I passed my last 2 and got results by logging in online but they still haven't sent out the letter to confirm this. Law society said when all 8 are done you get a letter confirming they have been all complete. I have received neither letter. Have other people received the letter and it's just me who hasn't got it?

I just really want the letter to put my mind at ease that they are all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Has anyone had a reply when they email fe1 section email?
    I have emailed twice now over the past 2 months and no response.

yeah I emailed last week about a general query and they got right back

Few nice people have messaged me with some advice for the exams, and a good few wondering had I sample answers....I don’t unfortunately and I don’t know where exactly I could get sample answers...does anyone know?
    All I have is the manuals for 6 subjects and all reports that the examiners themselves write themselves I think? ‘Grids’ also, so I can pass them on if anyone needs em for exams 😀 but no sample answers sorry.
    One question I have is what exam would be considered the highest pass rate?
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Thanks guys

EU law. It has an pass rate of around 80 per cent usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

EU law. It has an pass rate of around 80 per cent usually.

Property also has v high pass rate every year. Followed by criminal

Few nice people have messaged me with some advice for the exams, and a good few wondering had I sample answers....I don’t unfortunately and I don’t know where exactly I could get sample answers...does anyone know?
    All I have is the manuals for 6 subjects and all reports that the examiners themselves write themselves I think? ‘Grids’ also, so I can pass them on if anyone needs em for exams 😀 but no sample answers sorry.
    Thanks guys

DM me your email and I’ll get sample answers to you!

Does anyone have the stats of the pass rates for different subjects? I saw it around somewhere but can't find it anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

Just got my script for equity and the examiner added the marks wrong on the front page section of my exam booklet..... definitely worth rechecking yours if you’re on the fence guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pumpkinspice

Hi everyone! Sitting my first exams in October (hopefully!) and wanted to get thoughts on sitting EU, Property, Contract, Company and Equity together. A few posts back I read that tort, constitutional and EU are a no-no and ideally I'd like to do 5 this sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bex20

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the stats of the pass rates for different subjects? I saw it around somewhere but can't find it anymore :(

This is the one I have but not sure whether there is a more recent one..

Bex20 wrote: »
    This is the one I have but not sure whether there is a more recent one..

Think that's the most recent one

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

Can anyone recommend where is best for getting the legislative sources to bring into the exam?

I'm looking to get the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 for contract and just want to make sure I get the correct ones. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aideenc18

Lealaw wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend where is best for getting the legislative sources to bring into the exam?

I'm looking to get the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 for contract and just want to make sure I get the correct ones. Thanks!

The Office of the Public Works is where I used to get all of mine! You just ring up and order over the phone and they post them out to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Hi everyone! Sitting my first exams in October (hopefully!) and wanted to get thoughts on sitting EU, Property, Contract, Company and Equity together. A few posts back I read that tort, constitutional and EU are a no-no and ideally I'd like to do 5 this sitting.

That was my first sitting and I did get these first time. I find that it was a good combination/overlap. Of course a lot of studying involved for 5 but sure you expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Anyone know if there is usually much variation between internal/external marking?

Decided to get my Cons. paper rechecked, last one I need in order to have all 8 passed, they'll hardly take that into account? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone could confirm the when the October Fe1 sitting usually takes place is it the first two weeks of October?

Thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

HU123 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone could confirm the when the October Fe1 sitting usually takes place is it the first two weeks of October?

Thanks !!

Yes they usually start early October, but obviously that isn’t a definite this year!

Of those who’ve requested them, have many people here been sent their scripts from the last sitting yet? How long after you requested it did it take? I’ve told the law society I want to see it before I pay for recheck and they said access requests can take upto 30 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Of those who’ve requested them, have many people here been sent their scripts from the last sitting yet? How long after you requested it did it take? I’ve told the law society I want to see it before I pay for recheck and they said access requests can take upto 30 days?

Still haven't received mine. I emailed to follow up and they said they've received my request and it's being processed. I understand there's a fair amount of work in getting everyone's script photo copied, scanned and sent out but I think it's desperately unfair that some candidates were able to get their script before the re-check deadline while others weren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

Still haven't received mine. I emailed to follow up and they said they've received my request and it's being processed. I understand there's a fair amount of work in getting everyone's script photo copied, scanned and sent out but I think it's desperately unfair that some candidates were able to get their script before the re-check deadline while others weren't.

I totally agree. Can we definitely not get a recheck at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Still waiting on mine. Dont think anyone got theirs before the deadline. I'd say if majority of people didnt pay for recheck then they will accept late requests

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Hi all, I got my equity manuscript back. I have already applied and paid for a recheck. I noticed my paper had already been sent to the external examiner who gave me an extra mark over the internal examiner. Does this mean that there was no point in paying for a recheck? Who will the paper be rechecked by now? Or why was it even sent to the external examiner at this stage? Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aideenc18

Hi all, I got my equity manuscript back. I have already applied and paid for a recheck. I noticed my paper had already been sent to the external examiner who gave me an extra mark over the internal examiner. Does this mean that there was no point in paying for a recheck? Who will the paper be rechecked by now? Or why was it even sent to the external examiner at this stage? Thanks everyone.

I’m almost sure that a certain number of scripts are always sent to the external examiner after being marked by the internal just to make sure the same marking scheme is being followed/the papers are being marked correctly.

I’m not sure there’s much point paying for a recheck now as it’s the external examiner they’re sent to when appealed (open to correction on this!).

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Hey does anyone remember what came up in March in EU law? My exam grid only goes to October 19.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bobsyourbrief

I contacted the trainee section of the Law Society out of worry about the deadline (July 1st) to apply for my PPC1, they responded and told me to apply but note that I have 7/8 FE1s done (I don't recall being given notice by the Law Society to apply this way previously) and that, should I pass, it'll be approved on time.

I further contacted the trainee section again and was told early August is when the Tort/EU exams will be going ahead.
    I don't want to take this as gospel, as other times I've contacted the offices they've told me there's no set date until they let us know - but that's probably the rough guideline.

A friend of mine has his professional entrance exams for accountancy and was told they'll be online - webcam on, mic on, screenshare with moderator, typed up exam. I'm going to presume this could be the route they're taking for the FE1s.

I contacted the trainee section of the Law Society out of worry about the deadline (July 1st) to apply for my PPC1, they responded and told me to apply but note that I have 7/8 FE1s done (I don't recall being given notice by the Law Society to apply this way previously) and that, should I pass, it'll be approved on time.

I further contacted the trainee section again and was told early August is when the Tort/EU exams will be going ahead.
    I don't want to take this as gospel, as other times I've contacted the offices they've told me there's no set date until they let us know - but that's probably the rough guideline.

A friend of mine has his professional entrance exams for accountancy and was told they'll be online - webcam on, mic on, screenshare with moderator, typed up exam. I'm going to presume this could be the route they're taking for the FE1s.

The next sitting is in October - far past stage 5 in August. Why would exams need to be online at all? It creates additional headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bobsyourbrief

Coulter97 wrote: »
    The next sitting is in October - far past stage 5 in August. Why would exams need to be online at all? It creates additional headaches.

I’m referring to the EU/Tort resit regarding those who intend to take it. I’ve been told by the Law Society that it will be in early August.

I’m presuming on the basis of probabilities, and what I’ve been told from other fields similar to what we’re undertaking, that’s the method they’ll be taking their rearranged exams in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

August 11th Tort

August 13th EU

Law Society Website

• Advertisement

milktray22 wrote: »
    August 11th Tort

August 13th EU

Law Society Website

Thanks for sharing that information! An email telling us the dates would not have gone amiss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement