Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

In the RDS, anyone know what parking is like there? Not familiar with area.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

godfather2 wrote: »
    In the RDS, anyone know what parking is like there? Not familiar with area.

If its in the Simmonscourt there's good parking, in the main arena there's less iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Anyone studying for EU law, I recently purchased Concentrate EU Law by Matthew J. Homewood and published by Oxford University Press, and am finding it to be a good revision/study aid. I had previously done a prep course in one of the schools.

I came across the book when googling a case for more info on it - it’s possible to read/see a chunk of the book online on google and I thought it looked useful. It doesn’t have absolutely everything in it, but it has a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Anyone studying for EU law, I recently purchased Concentrate EU Law by Matthew J. Homewood and published by Oxford University Press, and am finding it to be a good revision/study aid. I had previously done a prep course in one of the schools.

I came across the book when googling a case for more info on it - it’s possible to read/see a chunk of the book online on google and I thought it looked useful. It doesn’t have absolutely everything in it, but it has a lot.

I used that book both in University and for the Fe1s. It is great for getting a handle on the key concepts and principles. I strongly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

vid36 wrote: »
    I used that book both in University and for the Fe1s. It is great for getting a handle on the key concepts and principles. I strongly recommend it.

Is there case law mentioned in it??

And is it the 6th edition you’re referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Is there case law mentioned in it??

And is it the 6th edition you’re referring to?

Yes, case law is in there and the most recent edition is from 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭5mcdonag

Fe1newbie wrote: »
    Few nice people have messaged me with some advice for the exams, and a good few wondering had I sample answers....I don’t unfortunately and I don’t know where exactly I could get sample answers...does anyone know?
    All I have is the manuals for 6 subjects and all reports that the examiners themselves write themselves I think? ‘Grids’ also, so I can pass them on if anyone needs em for exams 😀 but no sample answers sorry.
    One question I have is what exam would be considered the highest pass rate?
    Thanks guys

If you could share exam grids with me, I'd really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bex20

Does anyone have an up to date Contract and Equity grid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fe1newbie

Bex20 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an up to date Contract and Equity grid ?

Dm me ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CSC1997

Hi everyone, Im looking for some more recent criminal papers and examiners reports. I have up until 2010, does anyone know where I would find the rest without having to give even more money to the law society?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

CSC1997 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Im looking for some more recent criminal papers and examiners reports. I have up until 2010, does anyone know where I would find the rest without having to give even more money to the law society?

I can email you booklet
    Send ur address

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Hi All,
    Sorry if this question has been answered ...
    Can anyone sit the eu/tort papers in August or is it ONLY open to people who were supposed to sit it in March ??

Many thanks in advance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Hi All,
    Sorry if this question has been answered ...
    Can anyone sit the eu/tort papers in August or is it ONLY open to people who were supposed to sit it in March ??

Many thanks in advance :-)

Yeah Law Society website says anyone who wasn't signed up for March can register on June 12th to sit EU and tort

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭plee

Hi all. Sat first fe 1 in March - Company and passed. / hopefully on track to crack them two at a time ...

Would like to try Tort or EU in August - any advice which one. Not studied either.

Doing property and contract for October.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Am I getting this right everyone? I'm doing 5 exams let's say. I didn't sign up for EU/Tort in March. Can I sign up to do EU/Tort in August, and do the remaining 3 in October? That would be very convenient if it's allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭plee

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Am I getting this right everyone? I'm doing 5 exams let's say. I didn't sign up for EU/Tort in March. Can I sign up to do EU/Tort in August, and do the remaining 3 in October? That would be very convenient if it's allowed.

Yes. Correct - sign up for the August ones in early June

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cait182

Hi everyone! I’m hoping this is the right place to post this. I just finished my law degree a few days ago and was planning on doing Fe1s in October and March. As there has been two exams rescheduled, I am thinking now that I will spread it out and do both EU and tort in August. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best/cheapest study materials/manuals to buy as people have been telling me different things. Any advice on what to buy and where to buy them would be seriously appreciated as I decided very last minute to do this so I haven’t had much time to think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Hi guys, completely new to this and none of my friends/family have gone through these exams. Do most people just prepare extensive notes based on manuals and books and then move on to consider exam papers/sample answers/grids? Where can I source the best material to prepare notes from? Finally, when is everyone starting to study for the October sitting?

Apologies for the incessant questions - very apprehensive newcomer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

ruby1998 wrote: »
    Hi guys, completely new to this and none of my friends/family have gone through these exams. Do most people just prepare extensive notes based on manuals and books and then move on to consider exam papers/sample answers/grids? Where can I source the best material to prepare notes from? Finally, when is everyone starting to study for the October sitting?

Apologies for the incessant questions - very apprehensive newcomer here.

Hi Ruby

Yes people would just write notes from manuals and powerpoints. Some people take a course as well. That's what I am doing. I find it much easier for structure and stuff. But it is quite expensive so the others who don't want to pay for the course usually buys the manuals, notes, powerpoints etc. from those who have paid for the course!

For myself, I used the manuals / powerpoints and listened to the lectures. When my notes were done I then started looking at past papers and sample answers etc. It is completely individual!

The city college course starts next week as far as I am aware but a lot of people don't start studying until July. Others have already started. Again it is just completely individual.

I am selling some of my manuals etc., if you are interested. PM me if you are (no pressure tho)

If you want to do a course heres a list of whats available:
    Independent Colleges
    City Colleges
    Lawschool.ie
    Griffith College

Hope this helped! Best of luck with your studying and exams

Are the nutshells any good for revising for the Fe-1's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

I got the James O'Mahony nutshells, they are £9.99 kindle edition. They are very good, not a lot of details on the facts of the cases but give the most important cases per topic and relevant principles and statutes.

How do people study for the case note question in EU?

Can the case note be from previous years or the current year or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

How do people study for the case note question in EU?

Can the case note be from previous years or the current year or what?

Didn’t do the question, I read on here that it’s better to not to bother wasting time learning the cases because the exam is quite predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Hi!

Does anyone know re. EU if Blackstone's Treaties & Legislation 2017 -2018 would be sufficient for the exam? Have it since college.

Or would I be better off just getting the most recent one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

Hi!

Does anyone know re. EU if Blackstone's Treaties & Legislation 2017 -2018 would be sufficient for the exam? Have it since college.

Or would I be better off just getting the most recent one?

That one will be fine, main thing is that it is post Lisbon.

Completely depends on the person, but the legislation is not necessarily essential to pass the exam. I found it most helpful psychologically, to know it’s there if you’re really stuck, but if you’re prepared for the exam you’ll have the most important articles/directives in your head, same as you would for constitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

mmullen wrote: »
    That one will be fine, main thing is that it is post Lisbon.

Completely depends on the person, but the legislation is not necessarily essential to pass the exam. I found it most helpful psychologically, to know it’s there if you’re really stuck, but if you’re prepared for the exam you’ll have the most important articles/directives in your head, same as you would for constitutional.

That's great, thanks a million for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

If doing Eu and Tort how many then are people taking for October? What’s the most in October you could do, do you think? 3?

sunnylegal wrote: »
    If doing Eu and Tort how many then are people taking for October? What’s the most in October you could do, do you think? 3?

Yeah I think I'll be doing EU/Tort in August, then Contract, Criminal and Property in October as those are the easiest!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Hey just wondering if anyone knows how I would go about getting exam grids ? Looking for equity, tort,criminal and property! Any help would be really appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

Yeah I think I'll be doing EU/Tort in August, then Contract, Criminal and Property in October as those are the easiest!
    I'll be doing the same as well I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Does anyone have recommendations between independent colleges/city colleges for there Fe1 courses ? Also is anyone aware if they are both doing hard copy manuals as obviously it will be distance learning? Thanks in advance sorry for the spam, just trying to get my life in order

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Law2020

Hi guys, does anyone have a copy of the EU paper from March that they could email to me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

Law2020 wrote: »
    Hi guys, does anyone have a copy of the EU paper from March that they could email to me please.

I'd also love this!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

Law2020 wrote: »
    I'd also love to get this if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

I presume there is no March EU paper since it didn't sit, surely?

• Advertisement

TCPIP wrote: »

EU sat on the Friday but Tort got cancelled on the Monday as far as I’m aware

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

TCPIP wrote: »

The EU exam did take place; Tort didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Kellyg248

Me too Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

I have the EU paper from March. If you all want to send me a PM with your emails I'll send it on no problem. I'll email it on later this evening just to give others the chance to see this and send me a PM. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Anyone else think it's slightly unfair that those who failed Tort/EU in March get the chance to sit the paper again in August and thus to opportunity to start Blackhall this year?

Personally, I have just Cons. left to do but would have another bite at the cherry so to speak if I had one of Tort/EU left...

• Advertisement

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's slightly unfair that those who failed Tort/EU in March get the chance to sit the paper again in August and thus to opportunity to start Blackhall this year?

Personally, I have just Cons. left to do but would have another bite at the cherry so to speak if I had one of Tort/EU left...

Not at all. I can't imagine being this petty. I'm happy for those students - the Fe-1's are tough as it is.

Not at all. I can't imagine being this petty. I'm happy for those students - the Fe-1's are tough as it is.

Yeah tough exams for sure. Would know at this stage having 2 sittings under my belt.

Likewise, delighted for those students. Would love to have the opportunity.

However, it's perhaps slighty tough on those who had traineeships lined up and would have to wait for the 2021 intake had they any of the other 6 subjects left to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Tort didn’t happen. It was cancelled. So I’m well entitled to sit it!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

What chapter does intensional torts fall under?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

Louis Litt wrote: »
    What chapter does intensional torts fall under?

Trespass against the person/land I think

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Hey folks, Id greatly appreciate it if someone could furnish me with an exam grid for any or all of the subjects below

Criminal
    Tort
    Property
    Contract

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fe120R

Yeah tough exams for sure. Would know at this stage having 2 sittings under my belt.

Likewise, delighted for those students. Would love to have the opportunity.

However, it's perhaps slighty tough on those who had traineeships lined up and would have to wait for the 2021 intake had they any of the other 6 subjects left to do.

I agree with you.

Happy for people who are being given the opportunity to sit the two exams but disappointed as I failed Equity in March which was my last/have my training contract and was due to go Blackhall 2020. I know Tort was cancelled but EU went ahead so say if people did sit it and failed & were due to go to blackball in 2020 they are getting another opportunity to try to be in the 2020 intake but anyone with outstanding exams in the other subjects have to wait until October and the 2021 intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Fe120R wrote: »
    I agree with you.

Happy for people who are being given the opportunity to sit the two exams but disappointed as I failed Equity in March which was my last/have my training contract and was due to go Blackhall 2020. I know Tort was cancelled but EU went ahead so say if people did sit it and failed & were due to go to blackball in 2020 they are getting another opportunity to try to be in the 2020 intake but anyone with outstanding exams in the other subjects have to wait until October and the 2021 intake.

The Hybrid doesn't start until December/January. You may still make it on time.

Fe120R wrote: »
    I agree with you.

Exactly my point. Just luck of the draw in terms of subjects I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Does anyone have a recent sample answer booklet for EU that i could swap for or otherwise

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement