Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

Hi, anyone have grid including March 2020 for criminal prop and equity? Any of them, thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 musicmanual123

lawfe191 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    just wondering if anybody has a copy of the last March 2020 EU paper and would be willing to send it on to me, cant buy it on their site yet. It would be much appreciated haha

Thanks

There is no March 2020 paper, the exam was cancelled alongside Torts because of the coronavirus. The exams are deferred to August :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

There is no March 2020 paper, the exam was cancelled alongside Torts because of the coronavirus. The exams are deferred to August :)

Hi there, the EU paper did in fact go ahead. Candidates were just given the option of whether they wanted to sit it or defer it. Tort was cancelled outright.

I'll send you the 2020 paper now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

So kings inns entrance exams for 2020 are online....

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

CMUL wrote: »

yes... thoughts? at least we get more time to study but will be strange to have to type everything. i find the brain works better with a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    yes... thoughts? at least we get more time to study but will be strange to have to type everything. i find the brain works better with a pen.

Well I'm doing Fe1s! I can type pretty fast so I would be finished exam in about 30minutes which would be amazing, live in Limerick so wouldn't have to travel and also no exposure to COVID! Chances of law society doing the same.....

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Anybody got the letter with results yet? I am starting in a firm and the employer wants proof that I passed the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sarat123law

Hi there,

I'm halfway through my FE1s and have had a contract secured in a large corporate firm since final year. But I'm beginning to have some doubts about whether corporate is what I want to do with the rest of my life, maybe I would be better suited to the criminal/immigration side of things. Is this a decision I need to make now or is it simple enough to switch from one to the other after finishing a training contract?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bask453

Hey, would really appreciate an EU grid and past papers if any kind soul would be willing to pass them on. I have Tort past papers and grid to swap if that would be of any use to anybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

Anyone doing a course in independent colleges that started in June 2020, could ye give me a PM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Fe1newbie

CMUL wrote: »

Are they being done through open book? Or what’s the process for them? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Kind of a joke the Kings Inn is all online for several reasons. The FE1 exams are going ahead as normal from August, I don't see how they can't be done as normal. The country has gotten back to normal bar pubs and barbers/hairdressers. Very few people staying indoors, social distancing, or wearing masks or gloves in public anymore. I don't want to be insensitive in saying that, it's just my observations from working in a suddenly busy town in the last 3 weeks, and the number of cases keeps dropping.

You could just have a load of sample answers prepared and type away and pass with ease. Plus it doesn't really benefit anyone since you (i) won't experience Kings Inn properly and (ii) you won't make any friends or connections through it which is important and also helps immensely with study and your social life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Fe1newbie wrote: »
    Are they being done through open book? Or what’s the process for them? Cheers

Nope, closed book with remote invigilation,using video, audio and remote screen-share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vikinglaw

Hi there,

I'm halfway through my FE1s and have had a contract secured in a large corporate firm since final year. But I'm beginning to have some doubts about whether corporate is what I want to do with the rest of my life, maybe I would be better suited to the criminal/immigration side of things. Is this a decision I need to make now or is it simple enough to switch from one to the other after finishing a training contract?

Thanks

Hey,

understandable to have some doubts about your career.

But just a few thoughts:

99% of the people on this thread would give anything to have a training contract secured with a firm right now, especially with the oncoming financial crisis and the uncertainty with the virus, work from home etc.

My advice: be grateful for the opportunity, take the contract and qualify with the firm, then when you are qualified look for a job with a criminal law firm or branch out into your other interests.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

When can we apply for PPC1 2021 Hybrid? I see PPC1 2020 deadline is 1st July. Does anyone know if it's the one deadline or is the deadline for Hybrid later down the year to accommodate students from the Autumn sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Does anyone have a sample answer on judicial review for non privileged applicants that comes up on the EU paper... or can someone give me an outline on how to go about that particular question?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

KMPT wrote: »
    When can we apply for PPC1 2021 Hybrid? I see PPC1 2020 deadline is 1st July. Does anyone know if it's the one deadline or is the deadline for Hybrid later down the year to accommodate students from the Autumn sitting?

Last year. the deadline for the Hybrid was September but it was extended as long as places were available, in effect December.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

ahona wrote: »
    Hello kind folks,

I had almost abandoned my plans to be a solicitor last few months but now I am considering sitting for EU in August. I have not started to study yet, and presumably will start now. I have a manual. But I am spiralling. I am a very slow learner with several learning disability. So hopefully I am not very late already.

Can someone please help me with what topics to cover and how to study? Any tips will be helpful.

Thank you!

Delighted to hear you are considering sitting exams. There was a few very intelligent people I met with learning disabilities I had talked to at one sitting and they were very knowledgable. I would advise getting a tutor look on the facebook fe1 group. I am a crap studier and I passed some so far.

It sounds like you are feeling overwhellemed thinking of it and then doubt your ability. It looks daunting but you can remember case law like a story. I often use weird ways of remembering cases and I use the sherlock homes mind palace technique. Eg the case is the foster v British Gas. I am drinking a can on fosters watching uk bbc tv and the show is gas. Some of the names are difficult but you can be creative eg Marshall case think Eminem! I hope this helps a bit!

It is possible for you to pass. They may be supervised online also and follow the kings inns who knows which may ease nerves.

So far for EU
    direct effect, competition law, the freedoms. I have only started also so I will keep lookout for tips also. Best of luck! It is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

EU LAW

Anyone have advise on covering Competition Law? I've seen alot of ppl tend to avoid it due to its size. Those who have covered it, is it very time consuming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Hi, Does anyone know where I can get copies of the legislation on EU law and company law, what exactly can you bring into the exam with you? Also is there any legislation which you can bring into the criminal law or tort law exam? Thanks

Louis Litt wrote: »
    EU LAW

Anyone have advise on covering Competition Law? I've seen alot of ppl tend to avoid it due to its size. Those who have covered it, is it very time consuming?

Guaranteed Q really.
    Wouldn’t avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Fe1newbie wrote: »
    Guaranteed Q really.
    Wouldn’t avoid it.

Could say there is about 6 guarenteed Qs thou, so possible to work around.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

awsah wrote: »
    Hi, Does anyone know where I can get copies of the legislation on EU law and company law, what exactly can you bring into the exam with you? Also is there any legislation which you can bring into the criminal law or tort law exam? Thanks

I bought all the required legislation second hand. Try websites like adverts / done deal etc. and you might get highlighted copies which will save you time.

If you want new copies, you can try the Government Publications Office - you can find the details online yourself. They will deliver it to you. I would advise you ordering it as soon as you can not to leave you under time pressure.

You can get the Companies Act from certain academic bookshops. Bear in mind it will set you back around 100 euro to buy new from memory.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no legislation for tort or criminal which you can bring with you into the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Louis Litt wrote: »
    EU LAW

I didn't study competition law at university so for me it would have taken a considerable amount of time which I could have invested into other areas of the course and indeed other FE-1 courses/subjects.

I covered everything else bar it and did really well in the paper so if I were to do the exam again, I think I would use the same strategy.

However, if I did it at university, I would probably definitely study it as it seems to make a very regular appearance.

Hi everyone,

If anybody is interested in getting grinds for the fe1s Pm. I have applied for a PhD and would like to lecture in the future. so I would like to practice. I have a BCL, LLM and passed all my fe1s first time. All I want is to teach or help anybody who is struggling while I can get some teaching experience. I wouldn’t charge anyone so is totally free. My thesis was on Eu law is my favourite topic by the way so feel free to cinta be me.

Best of luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Hey folks, Im taking EU and Tort in August. Can someone just remind me the order and exact dates as its not listed on the Law society website anymore from what I can see. Doesn't appear in the confirmation e-mail either. Is it EU on the 11th and Tort on the 13th? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 superS

Hey folks, Im taking EU and Tort in August. Can someone just remind me the order and exact dates as its not listed on the Law society website anymore from what I can see. Doesn't appear in the confirmation e-mail either. Is it EU on the 11th and Tort on the 13th? Thanks.

I think Tort is on the 11th and EU the 13th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Hi,
    Does anyone have past papers and examiners reports for EU and Equity? I have others I could share with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Funkey_lover19

Hiya, just wondering does anyone have any PDFs for FE1 manuals? Or know somewhere reputable to get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    I bought all the required legislation second hand. Try websites like adverts / done deal etc. and you might get highlighted copies which will save you time.

If you want new copies, you can try the Government Publications Office - you can find the details online yourself. They will deliver it to you. I would advise you ordering it as soon as you can not to leave you under time pressure.

You can get the Companies Act from certain academic bookshops. Bear in mind it will set you back around 100 euro to buy new from memory.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no legislation for tort or criminal which you can bring with you into the exam.

Thank you for the information!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Rebuskveri

Hi,

Does anyone have an exam grid or past papers for Tort that they might share? Have exam grids to swap also.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

I am selling all my material including manuals and companies act and legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

Hiya, just wondering does anyone have any PDFs for FE1 manuals? Or know somewhere reputable to get them

Hi, I have a few that I am selling if you are interested!

PM me if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

Anyone know where the the venue for the exams in August is in Cork yet? The website said it would announce it soon but still nothing? Need to book accommodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 student2019

Does anyone have October 2018 EU sample answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pc_law

Does anyone have a PDF of past EU exam papers? I am happy to swap a EU manual for it or a manual/exam papers for tort.

Also, and apologies for spamming, if anybody knows the 7 topics covered (exc case note question) in the 2020 March EU Paper that would be great. My exam grid only goes as far as October 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Hi all, does anyone have exam papers and examiner notes for property please? Also looking for contract and criminal..Can swap..pm me please

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Pc_law wrote: »
    Also, and apologies for spamming, if anybody knows the 7 topics covered (exc case note question) in the 2020 March EU Paper that would be great. My exam grid only goes as far as October 2019.

Q1 - Essay - general principles of EU law
    Q2 - Essay - institutions and types of legislation
    Q3 - Problem - Direct and Indirect Effect and MS Liability
    Q4 - Essay - JR
    Q5 - Problem - Goods: Article 34-3
    Q6 - Problem - Citizenship and Workers
    Q7 - case note
    Q8 - Essay - Competition Law (State Aid - Art 106)

Hi guys,
    I offered free grinds a few days ago and I have received so many requests, this means I can’t take anymore students. My apologies for this. If you want me to put your name down for grinds for the March 2021 exams send me a private message.

Best of luck to you all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Does anyone know if its possible to cancel an FE1 exam that you already paid for and get a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Does anyone think its worth doing property and equity together as there is some overlap?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Does anyone think its worth doing property and equity together as there is some overlap?

Yeah would highly recommend doing equity and property in the one sitting because they are by far the most overlapping of all subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pumpkinspice

I know it's early to speculate, but do we think there'll be a Cork venue for the October sitting? It would be a huge help if I wasn't searching for a place in Dublin just for the week of exams

I know it's early to speculate, but do we think there'll be a Cork venue for the October sitting? It would be a huge help if I wasn't searching for a place in Dublin just for the week of exams

I’d imagine there would be a venue announcement for Cork soon. Six weeks away now

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

I am seeking an up-to-date grid for EU if anyone can please help? Thank you. Can give fee via paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Law2020

Hi there, the EU paper did in fact go ahead. Candidates were just given the option of whether they wanted to sit it or defer it. Tort was cancelled outright.

I'll send you the 2020 paper now :)

Hey, could you also Pm me the EU exam paper too please, would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murray132

Jenosul wrote: »
    I am seeking an up-to-date grid for EU if anyone can please help? Thank you. Can give fee via paypal.

I would be also be grateful to get a copy of this, please.

For Competition Law Art 102, is it necessary to look at the 'product market' as well as the 'geographic market' in conjunction with abuse of a dominant position? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

Does anyone have a Tort grid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement