Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fe1newbie

Does anyone have a Tort grid?

DM me ya

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

Anyone selling legislation for Eu (blackstones 2019-2020) sold out nearly everywhere or else delivery won’t get here on time.

Would really appreciate it if someone would DM me if they aren’t using there’s anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Hi, could you also Pm me the last EU exam paper too please, would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

I have a huge favour to ask. Would anyone, who has passed EU, be good enough to send me a snippet of their EU answer manuscript. I would just love to see what exactly is required in an answer. I am finding it extremely hard to condense the notes or to actually understand them if I'm being honest 😪🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Anyone selling legislation for Eu (blackstones 2019-2020) sold out nearly everywhere or else delivery won’t get here on time.

Would really appreciate it if someone would DM me if they aren’t using there’s anymore.

Bought mine online from Kennys Bookshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Fe1newbie wrote: »
    DM me ya

Oh there you are. Still waiting on the past papers from last week.

Edit: Received. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Boltabb

Hi, would appreciate someone sending on EU papers from Oct 19 and Mar 20, and Tort Oct 19.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Hey, does anyone have a grid for Contract and or Property. I have some really good notes for Contract, EU, Property and Constitutional I can send on.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Hello Everyone! :)

I have a few questions about the FE-1s, and I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I studied a bit of Law in college a few years ago and have been working abroad, but since Covid I've returned home and have finally decided to bite the bullet and sit the FE-1s.

Is it too late to start studying for the October session? How much study is needed?

I've decided to do Criminal, Contract, Constitutional and Company. Is this a good combination for the first time?

Also, which manuals are the best? Are there any to avoid?

I'd be very grateful for any advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

This may sound like a pretty obvious thing, but when mentioning cases in the exam, must one write the year of the decision after it? e.g. Hanrahan v Merck Share and Dohme (1988) , and , if the examiner doesn't mind leaving out the year, are we forgiven for writing the case in shorthand, e.g. Hanrahan v Merck ? I suppose it would be up to the examiner at the end of the day but are there any official or unofficial guidelines about this? first timer here btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

This may sound like a pretty obvious thing, but when mentioning cases in the exam, must one write the year of the decision after it? e.g. Hanrahan v Merck Share and Dohme (1988) , and , if the examiner doesn't mind leaving out the year, are we forgiven for writing the case in shorthand, e.g. Hanrahan v Merck ? I suppose it would be up to the examiner at the end of the day but are there any official or unofficial guidelines about this? first timer here btw
    Definitely dont need the year, god is hard enough remembering the cases. If the case is very well known like a seminal case you could even get away with just the plaintiff e.g. Glencar, McGhee, Fairchild, even Hanarahan I'd say when discussing nuisance. The fact is though for the well known cases you actually know both parties but I think it saves on time. Definitely for EU just the Plaintiff's name is sufficent.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

What would be a few of the most common topics for the company exam? Trying to organise notes in order of importance !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

KMPT wrote: »
    Oh there you are. Still waiting on the past papers from last week.

Edit: Received. Thanks a mill.

He only sent me 2/4 he said he would send me! :mad:

I just bought mine yesterday from book depository but will be coming next week so not sure if that is enough time for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Try Amazon, pretty sure it's not sold out. I bought it from Amazon and took just two days to arrive with Student Prime!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

hey can anyone who was going to sit the tort exam in March and who is now doing the August sitting let me know roughly how much studying you're doing? I have all the notes etc done because I was obviously ready to take it in March!

Anyway I feel guilty for not studying loads since its next month but also don't want to overdo it because i have all the prep done from March!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Does anybody know where to get all the different legislative sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Iso_123 wrote: »
    hey can anyone who was going to sit the tort exam in March and who is now doing the August sitting let me know roughly how much studying you're doing? I have all the notes etc done because I was obviously ready to take it in March!

Anyway I feel guilty for not studying loads since its next month but also don't want to overdo it because i have all the prep done from March!

I feel the exact same as you! It’s hard to know what to be doing at this stage it’s still a little early I feel, especially with all the prep done.

Awesome reply thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Hi guys, started property recently and doing equity next. Anyone got answer for trade, pm me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Cait182

I am doing 4 exams in October and am planning on Equity, Property, Constitutional and Criminal. If anyone has any recommendations on the best materials/manuals to buy any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angela21

Hey does anyone have a sample answer for Company March 2016 Q5?

Cait182 wrote: »
    I am doing 4 exams in October and am planning on Equity, Property, Constitutional and Criminal. If anyone has any recommendations on the best materials/manuals to buy any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PM me if you're interested in materials!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Iso_123 wrote: »

Hi I am the same I haven't even started but like you I have all my notes done it will be literally reading and refreshing my memory!

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where to get all the different legislative sources?

I got mine from book depository which I found were the cheapest, or I think you can also get them on amazon. You can look on adverts.ie and done deal/gumtree for second hand, but I couldn't find many on them, and most of the materials were older versions so I just felt safer myself buying them so I had the uptodate ones, but if you find someone who sat the exams in March they might be worth your while as they will already have all the necessary parts highlighted.
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

If anyone needs Tort Sample Answers, feel free to DM me and I can send them on!

Anyone have a EU sample answers? I think the length of my practice answers are far too long :/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Hi hope everyones study is going well. Would anybody have a copy of the March 2020 Tort paper or an updated Exam Grid? Any guesses for possible questions at all for August?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

lawd20 wrote: »
    Hi hope everyones study is going well. Would anybody have a copy of the March 2020 Tort paper or an updated Exam Grid? Any guesses for possible questions at all for August?

Tort didn’t sit in March, it was cancelled!

• Advertisement

Tort people from March - how are you structuring your study at the moment? I added in some chapters I didn’t have time for in March, and still feel like it’s too early to go learning all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Tort people from March - how are you structuring your study at the moment? I added in some chapters I didn’t have time for in March, and still feel like it’s too early to go learning all again.

I covered as much as I could for March so thankfully I don't have much new material to learn off. I am mainly doing past questions at the minute and making points of anything which seems difficult/don't understand. Agreed re: not learning yet - still have lots of time to learn notes off.

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    I covered as much as I could for March so thankfully I don't have much new material to learn off. I am mainly doing past questions at the minute and making points of anything which seems difficult/don't understand. Agreed re: not learning yet - still have lots of time to learn notes off.

I’m pretty much the same. Just threw in defamation as I’d left it out for March. Yes good idea with past qs etc - it’s such a weird time because it’s hard to know when to properly start learning off. I feel like 2 weeks before the exam is more than enough time, and at the moment we have 4!

Do people actually leave out sections for the exam? It's bizarre to me. I'm anxious enough as it is -
    I can't imagine leaving out entire sections to revise!

You have to. It's no possible to cover every topic. It's advised to have 8 to 10 topics well learned.

Do people actually leave out sections for the exam? It's bizarre to me. I'm anxious enough as it is -
    I can't imagine leaving out entire sections to revise!

It’s not possible to know everything, especially if you’re sitting 4 at a time!

• Advertisement

You have to. It's no possible to cover every topic. It's advised to have 8 to 10 topics well learned.

Ah okay. Looks like I've been studying the wrong way for the exams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Anyone any predictions for EU in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 katlikins

Hey, does anyone have sample answers from Griffiths or one of the other prep colleges for EU and Tort? DM if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

anyone got Equity and company stuff to swap? I have tort and property stuff to trade, private me :)

What are people covering for Tort? It’s such a huge course and looks like it’s not the most reliable exam! Working full time so stressed already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Ah okay. Looks like I've been studying the wrong way for the exams :(

Get exam grids for the subjects you are studying. They basically show which topics have come up in each sitting. There is some effort to keep the exams unpredictable but some topics come up in nearly every sitting [eg Competition in EU]. If your not using exam grids to check the regularity topics come up you could easily be spending a ton of time studying topics that rarely make an appearance. I know people who have gambled and passed some of these after studying 6/7 topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Just be careful too about leaving out huge amounts of topics for some subjects. Like in constitutional, the questions are regularly a mix of different topics so if you omit lots of smaller/less important topics, they could be of some importance. For other subjects, like property from memory, there is less reliance on mixing.

The Venue for the Cork exam is the Neptune Stadium for EU / Tort. Just received an email back from Law Society. Still no October dates yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

What are people covering for Tort? It’s such a huge course and looks like it’s not the most reliable exam! Working full time so stressed already!

I've done notes on the following topics from the manual, and I'm currently examining sample answers on professional negligence working my way down the list again.

1. Negligence
    2. Professional Negligence
    3. Nervous Shock
    4. Occupiers Liability
    5. Product Liability
    6. Defamation
    7. Defences in Tort
    8. Remedies
    9. Passing Off
    10. Limitation Periods

I've done them in my own order with the first 8 being very common based off what I've seen over the papers from the last 10 years. I felt 8 topics was too little and would leave me with zero choice in the exam where I would have to answer the only 5 topics that came up for me, so I threw in 2 small enough topics (9 and 10 above). That's just my experience so far, don't use it as a rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

The Venue for the Cork exam is the Neptune Stadium for EU / Tort. Just received an email back from Law Society. Still no October dates yet though.

I really wish they would get a move on with releasing the October dates, work are on to me about what time I need off and I can't be 100% sure that they'll be going ahead at the usual time (i.e. first 2 weeks of October)

I asked if there was a provisional date and they just said that it would be released "shortly". Obviously things may all change subject to CV but a rough guide would be great .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alisonnnn

Would someone be able to tell me which date EU and Tort are on in August? Is Tort on the 11th and EU the 13th?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ann1994

Has anyone received their recheck fee from the Law Society? I got one rechecked and passed it. I have emailed and tried ringing but no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Tort didn’t sit in March, it was cancelled!
    I think I read further back on this thread that the paper was sat by the people who wished to sit it.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

lawd20 wrote: »
    I think I read further back on this thread that the paper was sat by the people who wished to sit it.....?

No that was Eu. Tort didn’t sit at all it was completely cancelled.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement