Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 marylavelle

Hi, would anyone have an exam grid up to and including March 2020 for Company, Constitutional and Contract? I can swap for papers, notes etc. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angela21

Hey

Anyone have recent sample answers for property and company. Can give in exchange for exam grids

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fe120R

Is anyone else still waiting on copies of their scripts ? I requested them in early May and still nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fitz_95

Did anyone else who received their scripts for Property find the marking from the intern examiner a bit odd? my front cover page was marked as 60 next to each question I attempted and inside the paper the only numbers are a 60 at the end of each question? my other papers are marked very different with scores written at the end of each question and then a tally on the front pages with them all? is this normal Property examiner type marking?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ignacius

Would anybody have an up to date tort Grid and be willing to send me?I have sample answers v happy to send. Please DM!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ignacius

Ignacius wrote: »
    Would anybody have an up to date tort Grid and be willing to send me?I have sample answers v happy to send. Please DM!

Got sorted. Thanks very much! ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Hi would anyone have a sample answer for a limitations essay question for tort? I have some other sample answers I could swap! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

Does anybody have a company grid please? have grids / notes for most other exams to trade !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Would anyone please have any sample answers for tort ? Have grids for all other subjects willing to swap ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Hey guys,

Just confirming EU is the 12th August? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Jenosul wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just confirming EU is the 12th August? Thanks
    No its the 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Hey, interested to know if anyone sitting EU in August is planning to do the Case note question? Reading some of the examiner reports it seems you have to have a decent level of detail across all 3 cases to pass that question. I'm wondering if it's worth the time and effort?

It certainly seems doable if you covered say roughly 10-15 of the recent cases this examiner has asked, you could reasonably expect 3 to come up. I know some of the prep schools advise to stay away from it though as it can be too much of a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Hey, interested to know if anyone sitting EU in August is planning to do the Case note question? Reading some of the examiner reports it seems you have to have a decent level of detail across all 3 cases to pass that question. I'm wondering if it's worth the time and effort?

It certainly seems doable if you covered say roughly 10-15 of the recent cases this examiner has asked, you could reasonably expect 3 to come up. I know some of the prep schools advise to stay away from it though as it can be too much of a gamble.

I did EU in march and 100% stayed far away from that question. There is no logical reason to do it tbh unless you love reading the cases idk?

Better off spending your time elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chickennugget1

Anyone have law school manuals for sale in Dublin for Contract or Constitutional? Or anyone with pdf versions? Happy to share notes / manuals for property, criminal, tort, eu and company.

Hiya1234 wrote: »
    I did EU in march and 100% stayed far away from that question. There is no logical reason to do it tbh unless you love reading the cases idk?

Better off spending your time elsewhere

Thanks for that! Yeah I think i'll stay away and spend my time elsewhere. It can be tempting as some cases regularly come up like Bresciani and Pringle v Ireland etc but I know I'd be kicking myself on the day if 3 didn't come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Tort topics
    I have the following and wondering if is is enough and if there is anything i should add to it.

Negligence, Duty of care, Causation, Standard of care
    res ipsa Locquitur
    Vicarious Liability
    Defamation
    Tort of Passing off
    Animal and fire liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Defective products
    Tresspass to the person
    Damages

channing90 wrote: »
    Tort topics
    I have the following and wondering if is is enough and if there is anything i should add to it.

res ipsa Locquitur
    Vicarious Liability
    Defamation
    Tort of Passing off
    Occupiers Liability
    Defective products
    Tresspass to the person
    Damages

Is there a reason why you aren't doing trespass to land/ nuisance and rylands?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Is there a reason why you aren't doing trespass to land/ nuisance and rylands?

No but now that you mention it, I am thinking of adding in nuisance and rylands and nervous shock as I seen a few half predict it.

No but now that you mention it, I am thinking of adding in nuisance and rylands and nervous shock as I seen a few half predict it.

I would... trespass/nuisance/rylands is the most popular question on the paper. It has come up 20 times since 2010.

Then I think Nervous shock is due a run as it does come up at least one sitting every year on average and hasn't come up since march 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Is anyone else who’s sitting tort and/or Eu feeling guilty - I had all the work done in March and have been reading over but have been feeling so guilty for not doing 6 hrs a day as before!

What are people at? It’s still too early really I feel. Weird situation to be in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Yeah I think i'll stay away and spend my time elsewhere. It can be tempting as some cases regularly come up like Bresciani and Pringle v Ireland etc but I know I'd be kicking myself on the day if 3 didn't come up.

I drew up a grid to see if question frequency was worth doing the casenote, but found that only 2 cases have come up more than 5 times in the 10 papers this examiner has written. Association Belge des Consommateurs v Conseil des ministers and Pringle v Ireland. Bresciani has come up every sitting in the last 2 years, but never before that, so he could go off it again. There is a bit of a pattern of things coming up 2 sittings in a row, but not enough to bank on anything. So I decided it was too much of a gamble and I'm going to give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Tort topics

res ipsa Locquitur
    Vicarious Liability
    Defamation
    Tort of Passing off
    Occupiers Liability
    Defective products
    Tresspass to the person
    Damages

I think Limitations might be a shout to come up

Tort people - are you including academic commentary? His essays seem to want some...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Tort people - are you including academic commentary? His essays seem to want some...

Lol nope

Nope, going to try and avoid any essay question.

City colleges prof advises to stay clear of them as the examiner marks the essays harder, is very picky and as you said wants commentary which I do not have the time or energy to do.

So essay q's are a last resort for me, which is sad because I generally prefer them

Mod
    Pls do not comment here on pros or cons of various examiners, tutors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Has anyone got a letter with their exam number yet for the August sitting?

Nope, going to try and avoid any essay question.

City colleges prof advises to stay clear of them as the examiner marks the essays harder, is very picky and as you said wants commentary which I do not have the time or energy to do.

So essay q's are a last resort for me, which is sad because I generally prefer them

Thanks for this. I know I’m the same I prefer essays but if they’re marked like that it’s just not an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Has anyone got results letter from law society for the March sitting? It's now nearly 3 months late. I really wonder what the delay is. People put in so much work trying to pass these exams and they don't have the courtesy to even give you a letter to confirm you passed.

No. With recent developments and the protential for phase 3 to be extended even further I would not be surprised if they were postponed to be honest. I say they are even not sure what to do there is so much uncertainty. We would usually have the details by now. I am nevertheless studying and taking it they are on in August.

Jenosul wrote: »
    No. With recent developments and the protential for phase 3 to be extended even further I would not be surprised if they were postponed to be honest. I say they are even not sure what to do there is so much uncertainty. We would usually have the details by now. I am nevertheless studying and taking it they are on in August.

Phase 3 being extended does not prevent the examination taking place. The indoor gathering limit will be 50 as opposed to 100 but there's not much difference apart from that. I don't see the issue.

The only situation in which the examination could not go ahead is if the phases were re-winded, but that seems unlikely right now.

• Advertisement

I think Limitations might be a shout to come up

I was thinking this too so I'm trying to get an essay learned off for this as a back up topic that I didn't have time to cover for March! If anyone has any sample essays for a limitations essay i would love you forever! and i also have some sample answers for other topics I could swap

I am definitely not doing academic commentary either, I think there's already too much to know as is :confused: I am going to avoid essays if i can.. I'll only do one if I hate the problem questions and an essay I have learned off comes up!

Iso_123 wrote: »
    I am definitely not doing academic commentary either, I think there's already too much to know as is :confused: I am going to avoid essays if i can.. I'll only do one if I hate the problem questions and an essay I have learned off comes up!

Good shout. God help us haha

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Phase 3 being extended does not prevent the examination taking place. The indoor gathering limit will be 50 as opposed to 100 but there's not much difference apart from that. I don't see the issue.

The only situation in which the examination could not go ahead is if the phases were re-winded, but that seems unlikely right now.

You are bringing hundreds of people from around the country to a venue in Dublin; there has to be issues with that.Is it possible to create multiple pods of 50 students in the RDS and provide them with seperate entrances/ exits and toilet facilities? An alternative would possibly be more regional venues but you cannot have 600 students at the RDS and 50 at Neptune.
    Even outdoor gatherings are capped at 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Where are people getting the information that the Tort examiner wants academic commentary in the essay questions? I have seen this nowhere included in any of the examiners reports for the last decade?

vid36 wrote: »
    You are bringing hundreds of people from around the country to a venue in Dublin; there has to be issues with that.Is it possible to create multiple pods of 50 students in the RDS and provide them with seperate entrances/ exits and toilet facilities? An alternative would possibly be more regional venues but you cannot have 600 students at the RDS and 50 at Neptune.

Please consider that most people here have begun studying for the exam in less than 4 weeks time. You do not know any more than any of us about the phases/lockdown/coronavirus etc. The exam dates are the 11th and 13th of August and that's what the law society has provided. Cases have remained extremely low since shops reopened and have not spiked at all yet.

As of now people are stressed enough as it is than to read what you've said and stress even further about something that none of us have any control over. My advice is to ignore what was said above, and any scaremongering that seems rampant all over social media and online forums. Focus on what you can control and study for the exam, which is going ahead on the 11th for Tort and the 13th for EU Law. Do not spend one ounce of energy or thought on anything else. We simply don't have the time to and this person does not know what the future holds.

Iso_123 wrote: »

Can I ask what essay you have learned off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

The premise with holding the exam after the 10th of August was that restrictions on indoor gathering will be increased to 100 - so the Law Society was already, a month back, working with the assumption that groups will need to be subdivided into pods for purposes of the exam. If the indoor gathering is still limited to 50 then that makes it more complicated as more planning would be needed, but it's also made less complicated by the fact that 2 as opposed to 8 exams are taking place.

But with any luck, we'll progress to the final phase by August 10 as the date was originally envisioned anyways.

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Please consider that most people here have begun studying for the exam in less than 4 weeks time. You do not know any more than any of us about the phases/lockdown/coronavirus etc. The exam dates are the 11th and 13th of August and that's what the law society has provided. Cases have remained extremely low since shops reopened and have not spiked at all yet.

As of now people are stressed enough as it is than to read what you've said and stress even further about something that none of us have any control over. My advice is to ignore what was said above, and any scaremongering that seems rampant all over social media and online forums. Focus on what you can control and study for the exam, which is going ahead on the 11th for Tort and the 13th for EU Law. Do not spend one ounce of energy or thought on anything else. We simply don't have the time to and this person does not know what the future holds.

Ditto. Everyone should be studying on the assumption that the exams are taking place. Anything less leads to complacency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

The most important questions facing students right now is whether or not the exams in August will go ahead and in what format they take. The country is stuck in Phase 3 until August 10. It will be too late to mandate alternative arrangements or online exams at that stage. Students need clarity now. Denial is not a strategy, neither is just hoping for the best.

Coulter97 wrote: »

I stated without opinion that I would not be surprised. I am aware of the current permissible gathering limits!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 andrcamp

Hi folks, what are people focussing on for the August sitting of EU? Trying to narrow stuff down and I hear the paper is relatively predictable!

Does anyone have a Contract law manual? I have manuals for all other subjects that I would be willing to swap!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Where are people getting the information that the Tort examiner wants academic commentary in the essay questions? I have seen this nowhere included in any of the examiners reports for the last decade?

I was thinking the same to be honest. The examiner seems to get annoyed when people churn out everything they know about a topic - that's completely different to wanting academic commentary. I think his essay questions are not bad once you actually read the question properly and answer what the examiner wants rather than 'here's everything I know on defamation' or even worse 'here's my pre learned essay which just about touches on defamation'. I also did a preparation course and I cannot recall the course leader saying at any point avoid essay questions.

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same to be honest. The examiner seems to get annoyed when people churn out everything they know about a topic - that's completely different to wanting academic commentary. I think his essay questions are not bad once you actually read the question properly and answer what the examiner wants rather than 'here's everything I know on defamation' or even worse 'here's my pre learned essay which just about touches on defamation'. I also did a preparation course and I cannot recall the course leader saying at any point avoid essay questions.

Even if you read the question and answer it directly, it’s highly likely the manual does not contain enough information for that kind of question.

Personally I don’t think academic commentary is necessary to pass. But others might. Each to their own.

• Advertisement

Has anyone sitting EU got any decent notes on the Smanor case and how it relates to wholly internal situations for a question on Free Movement of goods? If so, could you send me a PM.

The Examiner has referenced this case in his last 2 exam reports so its obvs important but my manual doesn't have anything on it at all. I've googled it a bit also but can't get much information.

Is 8 topics enough for Property? I'll be doing: Landlord and Tenant; Adverse Possession; Easements; Succession; Co-Ownership; Mortgages; Family Property; Licenses and Rights of Residence.

Too much, too less?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Would any body have a EU Grid by any chance? I have papers and reports etc as a swap :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Does anyone have exam papers/examiner reports in contract, equity or company please? can swap/pay etc.

The most important questions facing students right now is whether or not the exams in August will go ahead and in what format they take. The country is stuck in Phase 3 until August 10. It will be too late to mandate alternative arrangements or online exams at that stage. Students need clarity now. Denial is not a strategy, neither is just hoping for the best.

Clarity on what? The exams are going ahead until you hear otherwise. There's nothing to clarify.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement