Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same to be honest. The examiner seems to get annoyed when people churn out everything they know about a topic - that's completely different to wanting academic commentary. I think his essay questions are not bad once you actually read the question properly and answer what the examiner wants rather than 'here's everything I know on defamation' or even worse 'here's my pre learned essay which just about touches on defamation'. I also did a preparation course and I cannot recall the course leader saying at any point avoid essay questions.

Yes which is fair enough. The examiner does not want you to ramble on and on about everything you know about occupier's liability when they have asked you to comment specifically on recreational users. That's advised in nearly every question and is one of their big pet peeves, which is completely fair because if you're answering the question generally then you haven't read the question/failed to understand it.

No offense but anyone off the street could read a law question and pick out the topic it's relating to. That doesn't show any cognitive thought or any critical analysis.

I wouldn't avoid essay questions, I highly disagree with that narrative. They are generally very straightforward. I really don't know where this narrative is about academic commentary, the manuals do not provide any and there is nothing in the examiner's reports to suggest it's required at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Does anybody happen to have the Spring 2020 equity paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

EU:

Doing the two August resits as wasn't going to risk sitting in March. March was dream paper for passing EU so pretty gutted about that.

Currently difficult to predict whether there'll be a General Principles question in the August paper. Kind of banking on it for my fifth question.

What are peoples thoughts re. the potential Q1 question on the upcoming paper? (Normally the General principles or Institutions question)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

JCormac wrote: »
    EU:

Doing the two August resits as wasn't going to risk sitting in March. March was dream paper for passing EU so pretty gutted about that.

Currently difficult to predict whether there'll be a General Principles question in the August paper. Kind of banking on it for my fifth question.

What are peoples thoughts re. the potential Q1 question on the upcoming paper? (Normally the General principles or Institutions question)

Whar else are you covering if you don't mind me asking, what are your other 4Qs?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Whar else are you covering if you don't mind me asking, what are your other 4Qs?

1) Direct Effect/Member State liability
    2) Free Movement of Goods (Art 30, 110, 34)
    3) Free Movement of Workers & Citizenship
    4) Judicial Review (Essay)

Covering a small bit of Equality re. equal pay and also covering a bit on FMS's.

Haven't covered Institutions or the Charter of Fundamental Rights. Currently deciding between.

JCormac wrote: »
    1) Direct Effect/Member State liability
    2) Free Movement of Goods (Art 30, 110, 34)
    3) Free Movement of Workers & Citizenship
    4) Judicial Review (Essay)

Covering a small bit of Equality re. equal pay and also covering a bit on FMS's.

Haven't covered Institutions or the Charter of Fundamental Rights. Currently deciding between.

I'd suggest covering both and general principles and the you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Tort October 2019, Q7
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone has come across this question and what they would discuss for it? I know it involves part of the law on Rescuers but am unsure how much of Medical Negligence should be included. Any insight would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CarrigView

Looking for an up to date EU grid if someone would be so kind? Have quite a bit to trade in exchange if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

anyone got March 2020 Constitutional paper for swap please? DM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Does anyone know what came up in Contract in March 2020? Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement

Anyone inquire about the October sittings? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Can I ask what essay you have learned off?

I am just going to learn an essay for limitations off as a back up answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

EU law - goods question

What’s the difference between Comm v Greece (luxury cars) and Humblot?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

Can anyone tell me how much is the going rate for a trainee solicitor in Cork? I’m trying to decide whether it would be viable for me to do my traineeship full time. Thanks a million!

May I also ask are people finding it a challenge to get a traineeship in Cork at the moment? I hope
    To start the Hybrid Course in December- I wonder have I left it too late to look.

Thanks!

I know people's primary focus is the August sittings but someone has raised a good question that has been on the back of my mind for a while now, especially as someone who's only beginning the FE1s. Do people think the October sitting will be going ahead in October?

My opinion is just that I have no idea but I think with only about 6 weeks between this August sitting and the usual time of early October it seems too short a time for them to write up exam papers? Virus aside I just wonder will it be in a later month than October, maybe November? Or is that wishful thinking on my part ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Lallers96 wrote: »
    I know people's primary focus is the August sittings but someone has raised a good question that has been on the back of my mind for a while now, especially as someone who's only beginning the FE1s. Do people think the October sitting will be going ahead in October?

My opinion is just that I have no idea but I think with only about 6 weeks between this August sitting and the usual time of early October it seems too short a time for them to write up exam papers? Virus aside I just wonder will it be in a later month than October, maybe November? Or is that wishful thinking on my part ;)

They better have the exams in October. That's what I'm working towards anyways. It's only two exams in August. In 2014 they had Spring sittings in March and April for all 8 exams so there should be no problem for them to set an extra paper.

I was wondering if anyone who is sitting tort could give me their opinion on the topics that I am covering as I want to make sure I am doing enough/the right variety because as usual i am freaking out that I haven't covered enough! I have covered the following topics;

Land torts (rylands nuisance and trespass)
    Negligence
    Pure economic loss
    Nervous shock
    Intentional torts/trespass to person
    Vicarious liability
    Employers liability
    Product liability
    Professional negligence
    Defamation
    Passing off
    Occupiers liability

I was planning on trying to learn an essay for limitations as well because that seems likely to come up?? But struggling with it to be honest

Iso_123 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone who is sitting tort could give me their opinion on the topics that I am covering as I want to make sure I am doing enough/the right variety because as usual i am freaking out that I haven't covered enough! I have covered the following topics;

Land torts (rylands nuisance and trespass)
    Negligence
    Pure economic loss
    Nervous shock
    Intentional torts/trespass to person
    Vicarious liability
    Employers liability
    Product liability
    Professional negligence
    Defamation
    Passing off
    Occupiers liability

I was planning on trying to learn an essay for limitations as well because that seems likely to come up?? But struggling with it to be honest

I'm covering the same with the exception of Prof Neg and i've added Damages. Going to have short bit on Limitations as Res Ispa also.
    Who knows what i'll end up with though when inevitably start cutting topics :)

I'm covering the same with the exception of Prof Neg and i've added Damages. Going to have short bit on Limitations as Res Ispa also.
    Who knows what i'll end up with though when inevitably start cutting topics :)

Thanks for the reply I feel a bit better about those topics now:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

What can I reasonably hope to cut out? Tort topics I'm revising:

Ordinary Negligence
    Causation/Remoteness
    Standard/Duty of Care
    Res Ipsa Loquitor
    Medical Negligence
    Product Liability
    Nervous Shock
    Employers Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Vicarious Liability
    Defamation
    Nuisance/Rylands
    Damages
    Limitation Period

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

They better have the exams in October. That's what I'm working towards anyways. It's only two exams in August. In 2014 they had Spring sittings in March and April for all 8 exams so there should be no problem for them to set an extra paper.

Out of interest, why did they do that in 2014?

. Do people think the October sitting will be going ahead in October?

I wouldn't be overly surprised if they followed the same route as Kings Inn and delayed them by a few weeks, perhaps mid October.

However, there is no point in speculating, here is hoping there is a timetable soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Coulter97 wrote: »
    What can I reasonably hope to cut out? Tort topics I'm revising:

Ordinary Negligence
    Causation/Remoteness
    Standard/Duty of Care
    Res Ipsa Loquitor
    Medical Negligence
    Product Liability
    Nervous Shock
    Employers Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Vicarious Liability
    Defamation
    Nuisance/Rylands
    Damages
    Limitation Period

Tbh I wouldn't cut out any of those if you possibly could. Tort more than any exam is completely unpredictable and you really need to cover as much ground as you can. I got stung badly in the last sitting because even though I covered a lot of topics I could only answer 4 Q's and failed as a result.

Of all those you mention I am covering all of them but if I had to cut I would say maybe Employers.

There is 3 weeks left so there is still plenty of time to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

dobby896 wrote: »
    Out of interest, why did they do that in 2014?

Iirc there was some issue with the venue so with about a month to go they announced that they were pulling the March sitting forward by 2 weeks, obviously this caused uproar so they then offered an alternative sitting 2 weeks after the original date for those who wouldn't be ready for early March or couldn't get time off work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

does anyone have March 2020 paper to any/all;

Constitutional, Company, Equity or Tort please...for swap

• Advertisement

EU

Are ppl covering Infringement proceedings? Does it still come up post new examiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

EU

Are ppl covering Infringement proceedings? Does it still come up post new examiner?

Can I ask now when the new examiner started ?

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Can I ask now when the new examiner started ?

Oct 15

EU

He's never examined it alone but it is important for Q on Commission’s supervisory role

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

looking for some advice RE study, have began land and contract but feel like I'm too far behind (for October)
    anybody able to give any advice on where I should be at right now or even how long to study each day? (working part time) So new to all of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 yipyop

Hey guys, wondering if any of you might have the March 2020 EU Paper? Let me know and can send you a few bits I have in return!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

looking for some advice RE study, have began land and contract but feel like I'm too far behind (for October)
    anybody able to give any advice on where I should be at right now or even how long to study each day? (working part time) So new to all of this!

To be honest, it's quite difficult to say exactly how much time you should be studying each day. Everybody learns at a different pace. The main thing to remember is that you have lots of time so use it wisely.

Those are two good subjects to start with. I would say for both of them, do out notes of your own on a topic e.g. succession in property, keep reading over them and look at as many exam questions as you can for each. By that, I mean seeing how you would answer the question in an exam. You will find that questions can repeat themselves so it is really important to be familiar with the questions and know how you would approach them.

For contract also, the examiner writes quite good exam reports. She tends to highlight areas where students did poorly so I made a note of these points in my notes. This is quite important as you don't want to stumble over something previously flagged.

After that, it just comes down to reading and rereading notes. Personally, I don't start to rote learn until nearer the exam. That's just my take on it. If I am familiar with my notes and what's written down, then 2-3 weeks generally is fine for the rote learning.

That's just my view on what you should be doing. Best of luck with the study!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 andrcamp

Is Competition due on the August EU paper or is it worth cutting?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

andrcamp wrote: »
    Is Competition due on the August EU paper or is it worth cutting?

There's nearly always a question on it. Think it focused more on Art 106 in the last sitting. I know some people leave it out anyway as it's one of the longer topics and the paper is pretty predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 andrcamp

There's nearly always a question on it. Think it focused more on Art 106 in the last sitting. I know some people leave it out anyway as it's one of the longer topics and the paper is pretty predictable.
    Cheers!

You're genuinely not, in any shape or form, behind.

It is all very subjective and what works for one person may not one work for the other. However, worrying at this stage about "being too far behind" will only debilitate your well-being, doing some topics each day and continue to familiarise yourself with the material. It's all repetition.

The topics I have covered are:

Negligence (that includes duty of care, causation etc. and res ipsa loquiter as per the manuals)
    Professional Negligence
    Nervous Shock
    Occupier's Liability
    Product Liability
    Defamation
    Defences + Remedies
    Passing Off
    Limitation Periods

Does anyone think that's enough or should I add to it? I'm running through exam answers from the top of the list down, and I am on Remedies at the moment. This is so I leave myself plenty of time to practice, practice, practice to get the timing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

What’s everyone thinking for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

The topics I have covered are:

Negligence (that includes duty of care, causation etc. and res ipsa loquiter as per the manuals)
    Professional Negligence
    Nervous Shock
    Occupier's Liability
    Product Liability
    Defamation
    Defences + Remedies
    Passing Off
    Limitation Periods

Does anyone think that's enough or should I add to it? I'm running through exam answers from the top of the list down, and I am on Remedies at the moment. This is so I leave myself plenty of time to practice, practice, practice to get the timing down.

Out of curiosity, when you are practicing to get your timing down, what methods are you using? Are you seeing how much you can write on a topic in a half an hour?

I'm finding it difficult to decide how much I need to memorise as some questions lend themselves more to a problem structure, i.e. Occupiers Liability & Product Liability so I don't feel I would need to rote learn them as much as say Res Ipsa or Damages that you'd expect an essay on.

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, when you are practicing to get your timing down, what methods are you using? Are you seeing how much you can write on a topic in a half an hour?

I'm finding it difficult to decide how much I need to memorise as some questions lend themselves more to a problem structure, i.e. Occupiers Liability & Product Liability so I don't feel I would need to rote learn them as much as say Res Ipsa or Damages that you'd expect an essay on.

I plan to time myself answering questions with minimalistic notes at first, and then again without notes for it to really all sink in.

So for me my aim is to answer a question is 32 minutes, give or take a few minutes. Practicing timing would be important because I could easily spend 40-45 mins today writing an answer which is too long to get all 5 Qs done.

3 hour exam. 10 minutes to read questions at the beginning of it, and to plan what I will answer. 2h40m for answering questions, divide that by 5 and you get 32 minutes per question. So 2 minutes to plan the answer and 30 to write it. Obviously this is all if things are going according to plan. This leaves 10 minutes at the end to quickly read over your answers and I suppose touch up anything, or possibly give you a bit of extra time on a longer answer/tough question.

At the moment I'm going through essay questions over the last decade and I will move onto problem questions from my 1st topic down to the last. By then I will have gone over each topic 3 times over so I hope to have it all in the brain by then

• Advertisement

You're not far behind at all! At least that's what I'm telling myself as I haven't started revising for October at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

For tort, I’ve done every chapter except the introduction, but on the syllabus there’s some things that aren’t in the manual and I’m not sure what to do:

- concurrent wrongdoers
    - Civil liability act in general - nowhere near enough in the manual for the qs asked!
    - liability for children
    - negligence on roads
    - fatal injuries
    - survival of actions on death

Could someone shed some light on this? Would it be critical to leave any of the above out?

TIA

For tort, I’ve done every chapter except the introduction, but on the syllabus there’s some things that aren’t in the manual and I’m not sure what to do:

- concurrent wrongdoers
    - Civil liability act in general - nowhere near enough in the manual for the qs asked!
    - liability for children
    - negligence on roads
    - fatal injuries

Could someone shed some light on this? Would it be critical to leave any of the above out?

TIA

If you've studied every topic apart from those you've outlined you're perfectly fine and will be able to answer at least 5 questions.

Coulter97 wrote: »
    If you've studied every topic apart from those you've outlined you're perfectly fine and will be able to answer at least 5 questions.

Thanks! Just strange how it’s not in the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

The guidelines for returning to higher education were published today. I don't see how the FE1 exams can operate as normal adhering to these.Particularly the requirements relating to limiting contact group time to two hours and also bringing together such a large number of students for all over the country.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a7d05-practical-guidance-for-further-and-higher-education-for-returning-to-on-site-activity-in-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

vid36 wrote: »
    The guidelines for returning to higher education were published today. I don't see how the FE1 exams can operate as normal adhering to these.Particularly the requirements relating to limiting contact group time to two hours and also bringing together such a large number of students for all over the country.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a7d05-practical-guidance-for-further-and-higher-education-for-returning-to-on-site-activity-in-2020/

Pls...stop.

The exams are going ahead 100% *covers eyes and ears*

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

- concurrent wrongdoers
    - liability for children
    - negligence on roads
    - fatal injuries

TIA

Learn concurrent wrongdoers it's very relevant to basically any question where two or more people are at fault. If you're advising someone you can say that you would apply to have that other person can be added as a party to the proceedings, it might save your client a bomb if the plaintiff goes after them for damages as well or instead (theres an Irish rail case on this)! So you're showing that you're really trying to help your client get out of a sticky situation :p

Even to say that on the facts there isn't an issue of concurrent wrongdoers it shows you know your stuff.

Also look into the crime of conspiracy e.g R v Parnell (links into concurrent wrongdoers). It is basically what it says on the tin, two or more people planning to commit a tort together.

Really surprised it isn't in your manual!

Learn concurrent wrongdoers it's very relevant to basically any question where two or more people are at fault. If you're advising someone you can say that you would apply to have that other person can be added as a party to the proceedings, it might save your client a bomb if the plaintiff goes after them for damages as well or instead (theres an Irish rail case on this)! So you're showing that you're really trying to help your client get out of a sticky situation :p

Even to say that on the facts there isn't an issue of concurrent wrongdoers it shows you know your stuff.

Also look into the crime of conspiracy e.g R v Parnell (links into concurrent wrongdoers). It is basically what it says on the tin, two or more people planning to commit a tort together.

Really surprised it isn't in your manual!

Thanks so much! I know it’s so strange.

What chapter does it come under?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    To be honest, it's quite difficult to say exactly how much time you should be studying each day. Everybody learns at a different pace. The main thing to remember is that you have lots of time so use it wisely.

Those are two good subjects to start with. I would say for both of them, do out notes of your own on a topic e.g. succession in property, keep reading over them and look at as many exam questions as you can for each. By that, I mean seeing how you would answer the question in an exam. You will find that questions can repeat themselves so it is really important to be familiar with the questions and know how you would approach them.

For contract also, the examiner writes quite good exam reports. She tends to highlight areas where students did poorly so I made a note of these points in my notes. This is quite important as you don't want to stumble over something previously flagged.

After that, it just comes down to reading and rereading notes. Personally, I don't start to rote learn until nearer the exam. That's just my take on it. If I am familiar with my notes and what's written down, then 2-3 weeks generally is fine for the rote learning.

That's just my view on what you should be doing. Best of luck with the study!

this made me feel so much better, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

TORT

What do people think the chances of defamation coming up for a 5th time in a row is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement