Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

how many hours of daily study are people planning on doing between now and the tort exam on the 11th?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Iso_123 wrote: »
    how many hours of daily study are people planning on doing between now and the tort exam on the 11th?

I don’t really do it by hours I just do it by topics. I’m covering 20 topics so I’m doing 2 a day this week and 2 a day next week. One big one in the mornings a short one in the afternoon. Papers and chilling at the weekends because we need downtime too!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Iso_123 wrote: »

Everyone studies differently so I wouldn't be putting too much into how long others study, or how much someone else writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I have a feeling a Vicarious Liability relating to close connection test in cases of sexual offences is gunna come up...just throwing that out there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Anyone have the EU paper for March or know what topics came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Does anyone have any recent sample answers for EU and Tort? Mine date back to 2009-2010. I can trade in for other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

I have a feeling a Vicarious Liability relating to close connection test in cases of sexual offences is gunna come up...just throwing that out there :pac:

Same I feel it or too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Hello! I have just received my EU and Company law legislation books and I am wondering how people went about tabbing and highlighting it to make as efficient as possible for the exam? Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

awsah wrote: »
    Hello! I have just received my EU and Company law legislation books and I am wondering how people went about tabbing and highlighting it to make as efficient as possible for the exam? Thanks! :D

I have my tabs colour coded by topic or group of topics that are likely to be mixed. For example EVerything institutions related it pink, Direct Effect and MS liability are yellow and Goods is green.
    I did the same with company when I did it and it worked grand.

• Advertisement

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Anyone have the EU paper for March or know what topics came up?

I do not have the paper but an older post gave these as the question topics:
    1. Essay: General Principles of Eu Law
    2. Essay: Institutions and Types of Legislation
    3. Problem Question: Direct and Indirect Effect and MS Liability
    4. Essay: Judicial Review
    5. Problem Question: Goods Article 34-3
    6. Problem Question: Citizenship and Workers
    7. Case Note
    8. Essay: Competition Law (State Aid- Art 106)

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    I have my tabs colour coded by topic or group of topics that are likely to be mixed. For example EVerything institutions related it pink, Direct Effect and MS liability are yellow and Goods is green.

Great, thank you, that's a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Great, thank you, that's a great help!

Definitely tab and highlight as much as you can. It will take you some time to do but is absolutely worth it in the exam. Also as suggested earlier, it's a really good idea to use different colours, both tabs and highlighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

TORT

Would I get away with not covering product liability and limitations? I’ve covered everything else. Burnt out at this stage and can’t be arsed!! Still have to do Eu this week and next, more revision though.

Law101 wrote: »
    TORT

Would I get away with not covering product liability and limitations? I’ve covered everything else. Burnt out at this stage and can’t be arsed!! Still have to do Eu this week and next, more revision though.

Products came up last paper so you might so safe there, personally I am covering Limitations, I think it's due up but the paper is impossible to predict so it easily could no come up. That said if you are covering everything else even if they did come up you would still have 5+ questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Tort is very hard predict. I think it was defamation that came up 5 sittings in a row.

• Advertisement

From Law Society FB page: "If you are sitting FE-1 examinations in August, please complete this self-declaration form by Monday 3 August: http://ow.ly/Ltxv30r19kA"

Thanks so much
    7. Case Note

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bask453

Does anyone recommend any specific brand of nutshells for EU? Looking to buy one that will hopefully help with condensing/cramming in these last few weeks

Mod
    Sorry, no such recommendations allowed on this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MrAlex123

7. Case Note

I sat EU in March and there were a couple of 'predictions' which didn't materialise - IMO worth while covering them for the repeat;

FMOG A30 / A110 is due a run.
    Institution Q w/focus on the courts - he's been hinting at this.
    Citizenship & equality

FYI for Nuisance, the Supreme Court decision for UCC v ESB was delivered by the SC in July of this year.

Obviously this won't influence the paper as it would have been set well before this, so Nuisance may not come up but if it does this could be essential to have. SC found for UCC, overturning the CoA so pretty big deal.

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/supreme-court-esb-found-negligent-for-ucc-flood-damage

"The court said that the ESB had a “special level of control over a danger”, (from Robinson v Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police [2018] AC 736), and found that the case was one of the limited situations where the law imposes a duty to confer a benefit. This duty of care arises on the basis that the ESB had a “special and substantial level of control which would enable it to prevent or reduce harm arising from a flood danger”, and that the duty concerned could be specified with reasonable clarity so as not to impose an impermissibly vague obligation on the ESB."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Hi guys, anyone have update grid for Constitutional please?

MrAlex123 wrote: »
    I sat EU in March and there were a couple of 'predictions' which didn't materialise - IMO worth while covering them for the repeat;

FMOG A30 / A110 is due a run.
    Institution Q w/focus on the courts - he's been hinting at this.
    Citizenship & equality

Any idea what kind of question could be asked about the courts? Don't have access to past papers so not sure if it has come up before

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

I have not come across any judicial angle either, except its struture ...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Yeah same. Only other angle I could think of would be if there was a question on the role & function of the CJEU and you could tie in the concept of Judicial Activism, e.g. it was the courts through Direct Effect and Supremacy which altered the EU Legal order significantly... but I doubt you'd get a full Question on that. Perhaps it'd part of a wider Q. on discussing the major roles of each institution?

Yeah i have half a page under the institutionl structure question (oct 19 question 1) on the courts structure and jurisdiction, but very brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Fishing for your thoughts on this 2018 Tort Q:
    "the imposition of vicarious liability requires that the act in question falls within the scope of employment but in highly skilled professions it is often difficult to delineate what that means."

Not exactly sure how to address the "highly skilled" element of it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

Any Sample Answers for Tort or EU Law?

Would be very grateful!!

Yup, there's more than enough in the manuals for a full question on the role of the courts / Lisbon changes, and judging by how easy the last paper was, he'd be within his right include one!

Q1 March 2019: he included the courts as part of the institution question for the first time. He did the same with FMOS - included it as a part of a FMOG Q - then included a full FMOS question in Q6 Oct 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Booker4

lawd20 wrote: »
    Fishing for your thoughts on this 2018 Tort Q:

Not exactly sure how to address the "highly skilled" element of it. Thanks.

I didn't have any specific authority for this either. I just mentioned that as low skilled workers are often given clear instructions it is easily to determine what actions qualify as the scope of employment. While highly skilled workers are usually given more responsibility and freedom. Various Claimants v Barclay's Bank might be worth a mention here too. I then tied in the case law on sexual assault with highly skilled workers.

I have tort if this is any good to you! Still trying to source EU myself
    LJones18 wrote: »
    Any Sample Answers for Tort or EU Law?

Would be very grateful!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 bozzer198

sunnylegal wrote: »
    EU law - goods question

What’s the difference between Comm v Greece (luxury cars) and Humblot?

Not sure about comm v greece
    but humblot is on indirect discrimination,french tax on engine capacity, with the result that imported cars had to pay a higher tax, which didnt really effect french cars ,although the tax imposed was not based on the origin of the goods, it was still discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Booker4 wrote: »
    I didn't have any specific authority for this either. I just mentioned that as low skilled workers are often given clear instructions it is easily to determine what actions qualify as the scope of employment. While highly skilled workers are usually given more responsibility and freedom. Various Claimants v Barclay's Bank might be worth a mention here too. I then tied in the case law on sexual assault with highly skilled workers.

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines regarding freedom and independence at work, but the highly skilled threw me nonetheless. Best of luck with the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CSC1997

Apologies, dont mean to take away from Tort and EU but if anybody has an up to date grid for Contract and Property could you DM me please? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

What is essential to cover for EU? Thanks! Any recommendations/predictions much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Yup, there's more than enough in the manuals for a full question on the role of the courts / Lisbon changes, and judging by how easy the last paper was, he'd be within his right include one!

Q1 March 2019: he included the courts as part of the institution question for the first time. He did the same with FMOS - included it as a part of a FMOG Q - then included a full FMOS question in Q6 Oct 2018.

Would you be able to send me in that question that includes the courts... don’t seem to have that sitting for some reason!!!

Q1 Outline and discuss....most significant changes that were made by the Lisbon Treaty amendments to the internal organizations of the EU institutions

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    just want to confirm are you able to highlight as well as tab the legislation ?

HU123 wrote: »
    just want to confirm are you able to highlight as well as tab the legislation ?

Yeah you can highight and tab but you can't write anything at all.

Would anyone have sample answers for tort 2019 papers ! Could swap for other tort materials and EU materials

• Advertisement

Because I ran out of colors pretty quickly with EU I have used symbols on some tabs so for example I have used a pink tab for all the institutions. Plain pink for the parliament and then a pink tab with zig zag for the commission and a pink tab with horizontal lines for the courts etc.... I hope this is ok ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rainbow25

Did anyone ever hear back from the Law Society about what would happen if the exams can't go ahead because of Covid? Are people due to start Blackhall in September still going to be able to? 85 new cases today has me so worried and it doesn't seem like they have any back up plan in terms of an online exam or anything

Rainbow25 wrote: »
    Did anyone ever hear back from the Law Society about what would happen if the exams can't go ahead because of Covid? Are people due to start Blackhall in September still going to be able to? 85 new cases today has me so worried and it doesn't seem like they have any back up plan in terms of an online exam or anything

I reckon they will push on with the exams no matter what at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Rainbow25 wrote: »

Got an email from them Tuesday. Had to fill out a Covid form for August exams. Definitely going ahead at this moment in time. If they can’t go ahead or can’t sit due to COVID personally, you’ll be given a full refund... If you had any contact with COVID in the last 14 days, you’re not allowed sit in August!

Do ye reckon it's safe enough to leave out the State Aid section of Competition? Considering it came up last sitting and it doesn't tend to come up that often with this examiner. It's such a massive topic it's difficult to learn all of it off

Has anyone had any correspondence re the October timetable? I was going to plan my subjects around that, but I’m getting very anxious now about starting!

• Advertisement

Has anyone had any correspondence re the October timetable? I was going to plan my subjects around that, but I’m getting very anxious now about starting!

I rang them. They told me (1) its 100% going ahead (2) provisional dates are 6th-15th October and (3) the precise timetable will be released after the August sitting.

I rang them. They told me (1) its 100% going ahead (2) provisional dates are 6th-15th October and (3) the precise timetable will be released after the August sitting.

Oof thats a very tight turn around

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trainee1986

Hi everyone. My firm - an established criminal and personal injuries firm located in Dublin 1 - is looking to give an extended internship (at least 6 months) starting September/Oct 2020. This would suit a bright graduate interested in gaining daily court experience and advocacy skills (firm works in all courts from District up to Supreme). This is a hands-on role.

Send me a message if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Hi, around 10 days out here so just got thinking about exam technique...Pretty subjective question this, but do people generally start with their best questions first, or what they 'feel' will rack up the marks early? I know this will all depend on how much you've covered and what comes up on the day etc but I'd like to at least try and plan my approach.

Curious to note what kind of strategies successful FE1 candidates go with. Been a few years since I've sat written exams and I know timing is crucial in the FE1 as well. From all of the advice I'm getting if you don't answer 5 q.s you'll make it difficult to pass.

I remember messing up the timing on my last Uni exam (law of Evidence) because I went all out on one question and only had 15 mins to write a full essay on the last and just did bullet points...but I Still got a 68! I don't feel I would be as lucky this time round lol

Is there any merit in tackling your difficult questions first and then finishing strong? Would that make any difference to an examiner? Any thoughts/tips would be great!

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Hi, around 10 days out here so just got thinking about exam technique...Pretty subjective question this, but do people generally start with their best questions first, or what they 'feel' will rack up the marks early? I know this will all depend on how much you've covered and what comes up on the day etc but I'd like to at least try and plan my approach.

Curious to note what kind of strategies successful FE1 candidates go with. Been a few years since I've sat written exams and I know timing is crucial in the FE1 as well. From all of the advice I'm getting if you don't answer 5 q.s you'll make it difficult to pass.

I remember messing up the timing on my last Uni exam (law of Evidence) because I went all out on one question and only had 15 mins to write a full essay on the last and just did bullet points...but I Still got a 68! I don't feel I would be as lucky this time round lol

Is there any merit in tackling your difficult questions first and then finishing strong? Would that make any difference to an examiner? Any thoughts/tips would be great!

I generally do my best question as the third/fourth question. Leave the easiest question until the end (as I might run out of time). I like essay questions (as there generally is no trick aspect to them - more so a case of adapting what I have to fit the question) so it's generally an essay for me that I leave until the end. So generally I would start with a question which is neither best nor worst, but one that I can actually show the examiner that I understand what's being asked and confident enough about. From the 7 FE1's that I've done, I have found that I have got fairly consistent results across the papers using that format. It means as well that you can actually 'look forward' to something nicer near the end rather than a downhill slope as you go through the paper. Again, it's a very subjective question. I know some people will disagree with what I have said but then again I've passed 7/7 so far without repeating so it must have worked somehow. Good luck!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement