Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Hi, around 10 days out here so just got thinking about exam technique...Pretty subjective question this, but do people generally start with their best questions first, or what they 'feel' will rack up the marks early? I know this will all depend on how much you've covered and what comes up on the day etc but I'd like to at least try and plan my approach.

Curious to note what kind of strategies successful FE1 candidates go with. Been a few years since I've sat written exams and I know timing is crucial in the FE1 as well. From all of the advice I'm getting if you don't answer 5 q.s you'll make it difficult to pass.

I remember messing up the timing on my last Uni exam (law of Evidence) because I went all out on one question and only had 15 mins to write a full essay on the last and just did bullet points...but I Still got a 68! I don't feel I would be as lucky this time round lol

Is there any merit in tackling your difficult questions first and then finishing strong? Would that make any difference to an examiner? Any thoughts/tips would be great!

I think you absolutely should start with your strongest questions first. I always do my preferred questions and leave any difficult ones until the end. The idea being that you don't want to waste time struggling through a difficult question at the start which could leave you short on time later. Also it just helps with the mental aspect, if you start on a strong question you start to feel good about the exam and get confident you can pass it.

It's a matter of preference though really.

In terms of timing I believe the timing is 10mins at the start to read the paper and pick your questions and then 35(?) mins per question. Once you hit that 35mins just stop answering that Q and move on to the next no matter what. At the end you can come back to questions to finish them off or just add in bullet points. It's far more efficient in picking up marks to answer 3/4 of a question and move on instead of wasting time on one Q and letting your other questions suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Hi, around 10 days out here so just got thinking about exam technique...Pretty subjective question this, but do people generally start with their best questions first, or what they 'feel' will rack up the marks early? I know this will all depend on how much you've covered and what comes up on the day etc but I'd like to at least try and plan my approach.

Curious to note what kind of strategies successful FE1 candidates go with. Been a few years since I've sat written exams and I know timing is crucial in the FE1 as well. From all of the advice I'm getting if you don't answer 5 q.s you'll make it difficult to pass.

I remember messing up the timing on my last Uni exam (law of Evidence) because I went all out on one question and only had 15 mins to write a full essay on the last and just did bullet points...but I Still got a 68! I don't feel I would be as lucky this time round lol

Is there any merit in tackling your difficult questions first and then finishing strong? Would that make any difference to an examiner? Any thoughts/tips would be great!

I’ve always been a believer in doing your best question first as it gives you that little boost of confidence early on and helps calm the nerves. Everyone’s different though. The most important thing is getting five answers down and being disciplined with your time. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Saw there was a full problem question on Freedom to provide* Movement Services on the October 2018 paper.

Haven't studied Services up to this point b/c honestly just thought it rarely came up.

Does anybody know off the top of their head if there's a lot in it / if it's worth investing study hours into?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

It's probably worth tabbing articles 56 and 57 TFEU and have a few cases for it. I think the health service angle came up last time so maybe the patient cross border directive may be relevant also... Humbel and Geraets smits cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Anyone struggling to get to grips with EU? Just a different kettle of fish to the other exams.

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Anyone struggling to get to grips with EU? Just a different kettle of fish to the other exams.

Yep, every other subject makes sense to me, like the topics have good logic to them and they have easily applied tests and case law etc. EU comes across as gibberish half the time

I've heard the examiner is one of the nicer markers however

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

Me too - not really getting to grips with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

It feels like even the requirements have requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

EU has a really high pass rate, I wouldn't stress about the nitty-gritty of it too much

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Can I ask what you're covering for EU pls?

I'm also finding it extremely tough to grasp. Regretting applying for the August sitting at this moment in time.

• Advertisement

Can I ask what you're covering for EU pls?

I'm also finding it extremely tough to grasp. Regretting applying for the August sitting at this moment in time.

Institutions
    General Principles
    DE & MS liability
    JR
    Citizenship & FM Workers
    FM Goods
    FM Service
    Equality

Left out Competition but going on previous papers I would have 5 from the above.

Institutions
    General Principles
    DE & MS liability
    JR
    Citizenship & FM Workers
    FM Goods
    FM Service
    Equality

Left out Competition but going on previous papers I would have 5 from the above.

Thank you. While I have notes made on your above topics I am far away from knowing them yet and that frightens me. Any advice?

Thank you. While I have notes made on your above topics I am far away from knowing them yet and that frightens me. Any advice?

I'm the same and i'm the same for every exam, it only comes together the day before. I would fail the exam miserably if it was tomorrow. Read over notes pleanty of time and then try wittle notes down to just a heading within the topic and case names with a couple of words to hint. That's just my method anyways, everyone has their own preferences.

I'm the same and i'm the same for every exam, it only comes together the day before. I would fail the exam miserably if it was tomorrow. Read over notes pleanty of time and then try wittle notes down to just a heading within the topic and case names with a couple of words to hint. That's just my method anyways, everyone has their own preferences.

Lol, me too. Good luck!!

Best advice I can give is read your notes over and over until it's seared into your brain. It's the only way I can learn that much information, excessive repetition

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Hi!

How would people of went about answering the Products Liability on the October paper??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LawStudent96

Would anyone have sample answers to some of the more recent Tort past papers? I can swap EU sample answers.

Best advice I can give is read your notes over and over until it's seared into your brain. It's the only way I can learn that much information, excessive repetition

@iamanengine Do you have any predictions for Tort and EU? You've not been far off in the past.

@iamanengine Do you have any predictions for Tort and EU? You've not been far off in the past.

I'll give it a go, I do love to procrastinate.

I think EU is definitely one of the more straight forward papers since this examiner took over. Not sure what the exact sitting that was but think it was around the 2015 papers. If he follows the pattern expect -

Competition - State Aid came up last time so I'm hoping we will get a straight up Competition Q, Art 101 /102
    General Principles - Would love a fundamental rights Q
    DE/MS Liability - Had it's break in Oct 2019 so expect it up
    FMOG - Customs duty/internal tax
    Judicial Review - Would love a Q on criticism surrounding individual concern
    Citizenship
    Institutions - Maybe due a break?
    FMOW - Had a break Oct 2019
    Then you have your case law Q - avoiding that 100%

If you have these I think you are guaranteed 5 Q's, the paper is almost as predictable as Property. The same topics come up time and again.

Tort however, is a whole other kettle of fish. I reckon it is the least predictable of all the exams, even more so than constitutional. That said, I'll take a stab at it.

Negligence - I think a Q on negligence in some form is a certainty, either DOC or Causation, possibly both.
    Vicarious Liability - Comes up a tonne and hasn't come up in 2 sittings. Also there was the Barclays Bank case since it last came up. Hoping for a Q
    Limitations - Comes up every so often, hasn't come up in 3 sittings and there was two 2019 SC cases, again really hoping for a Q here I've learnt it well.
    Nervous Shock - Hasn't come up in 3 sittings, I think it would be a lovely Q to get
    Negligent Misstatement - Has come up often enough and hasn't come up in 7 sittings.
    Animals - Used to come up a lot, hasn't come up in 12 sittings, short topic, worth a punt
    Damages
    Passing Off - Throwing it in cos it would be a lovely Q

There ye go, ye can buy me a pint if I'm anyways correct :pac:

Actually, can't write off defamation either at this stage tbh, he loves it. You could look at it and say it's come up last 5 sittings, surely due a break, or on the other hand you could look at it and say defamation is approaching a guaranteed Q now...who knows!

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go, I do love to procrastinate.

I think EU is definitely one of the more straight forward papers since this examiner took over. Not sure what the exact sitting that was but think it was around the 2015 papers. If he follows the pattern expect -

Competition - State Aid came up last time so I'm hoping we will get a straight up Competition Q, Art 101 /102
    General Principles - Would love a fundamental rights Q
    DE/MS Liability - Had it's break in Oct 2019 so expect it up
    FMOG - Customs duty/internal tax
    Judicial Review - Would love a Q on criticism surrounding individual concern
    Citizenship
    Institutions - Maybe due a break?
    FMOW - Had a break Oct 2019
    Then you have your case law Q - avoiding that 100%

If you have these I think you are guaranteed 5 Q's, the paper is almost as predictable as Property. The same topics come up time and again.

Tort however, is a whole other kettle of fish. I reckon it is the least predictable of all the exams, even more so than constitutional. That said, I'll take a stab at it.

Negligence - I think a Q on negligence in some form is a certainty, either DOC or Causation, possibly both.
    Vicarious Liability - Comes up a tonne and hasn't come up in 2 sittings. Also there was the Barclays Bank case since it last came up. Hoping for a Q
    Limitations - Comes up every so often, hasn't come up in 3 sittings and there was two 2019 SC cases, again really hoping for a Q here I've learnt it well.
    Nervous Shock - Hasn't come up in 3 sittings, I think it would be a lovely Q to get
    Negligent Misstatement - Has come up often enough and hasn't come up in 7 sittings.
    Animals - Used to come up a lot, hasn't come up in 12 sittings, short topic, worth a punt
    Damages
    Passing Off - Throwing it in cos it would be a lovely Q

There ye go, ye can buy me a pint if I'm anyways correct :pac:

Actually, can't write off defamation either at this stage tbh, he loves it. You could look at it and say it's come up last 5 sittings, surely due a break, or on the other hand you could look at it and say defamation is approaching a guaranteed Q now...who knows!

Haha fair play, thanks. Agree with Tort, no real pattern you can follow, looking to cut some topics as i dont think i have the capacity to hold 16 decent topics in my head.

Was about to post here saying just that re Tort, I have notes on about 15 topics (don’t know off the top of my head which ones/how many now - it’s 5am! :/)

Anyway... have notes on over a dozen topics and am feeling very overwhelmed, how on Earth do I try learn them all in a week?! Anyone have any tips on what to focus on? Or even what to focus on in each topic?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fe1VanWilder

Has anybody been sent an exam number yet/any information about parking/the exact location of the exam hall in the RDS? Or is it expected to be out this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Has anybody been sent an exam number yet/any information about parking/the exact location of the exam hall in the RDS? Or is it expected to be out this week?

Nope. I was told that they were sending out letters last week. Today is a bank holiday so no post so hopefully they will arrive sooner rather than later.

Nothing yet. 😬

Quick question also, can we highlight sections of our Blackstones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fe1VanWilder

Nothing yet. ��

Quick question also, can we highlight sections of our Blackstones ?

Thanks. Ya you can highlight and underline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Anyone else have the nerves settling in? We've a week to study (not including the morning of the exam), and for a lot of people we'll be travelling the day before it too - so really 6 proper days left of study.

I feel like it's all surface level knowledge in my head, and I'm failing to remember cases, but not the handful of statutes, when answering past questions blind. I had a load of essay questions prepared that I intended to learn off but they included a total of 45 cases and my brain can't remember them all. And it seems in a lot of problem q sample answers that less cases are required - is that incorrect?

Anyway, I'm beginning to get nervous as I haven't sat a law exam since May 2019 and I haven't sat Tort since May 2016 in first year. I'm almost thinking that answering 5 Qs in 3 hours is very hard so I've begun just timing myself for 30 mins to answer as much as I can and finish the Q on the buzzer, and then mark myself. All my answers seem very "surface-level" like without the expected analysis or "exploring the full potential of the question" that the examiner report wants, but then again I've been told that answering 5 Qs quite well rather than 4 brilliantly is better.

*Sigh* I hate the stress of this

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Anyone else have the nerves settling in? We've a week to study (not including the morning of the exam), and for a lot of people we'll be travelling the day before it too - so really 6 proper days left of study.

I feel like it's all surface level knowledge in my head, and I'm failing to remember cases, but not the handful of statutes, when answering past questions blind. I had a load of essay questions prepared that I intended to learn off but they included a total of 45 cases and my brain can't remember them all. And it seems in a lot of problem q sample answers that less cases are required - is that incorrect?

Anyway, I'm beginning to get nervous as I haven't sat a law exam since May 2019 and I haven't sat Tort since May 2016 in first year. I'm almost thinking that answering 5 Qs in 3 hours is very hard so I've begun just timing myself for 30 mins to answer as much as I can and finish the Q on the buzzer, and then mark myself. All my answers seem very "surface-level" like without the expected analysis or "exploring the full potential of the question" that the examiner report wants, but then again I've been told that answering 5 Qs quite well rather than 4 brilliantly is better.

*Sigh* I hate the stress of this

The first exam in a sitting was always toughest for me. After that you can pace yourself and get the timing much better. But be careful about the clock in the first exam or you might end up with a very rushed final question .

EU

In Judicial Review, on standing for a Regulatory Act, i.e non legislative - how do i differenciate between a legislative act and non in a problem Q? Are all Directives, REgulations and Decisions legislative acts?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

I'm thinking the exact same.

EU

In Judicial Review, on standing for a Regulatory Act, i.e non legislative - how do i differenciate between a legislative act and non in a problem Q? Are all Directives, REgulations and Decisions legislative acts?

Yeah I think all regs, directives and decisions are. A non-legislative act would be either a delegated act or an implementing act. A legislative act is adopted by the Council and Parliament together whereas a non-legislative act will be adopted by the Commission based on a power given to it under a legislative act, these fill in the details missing from the main legislative act.

Simple enough :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Question about EU - Direct Effect & MS Liability

Does anyone have anything on the role of damages as a remedy where there has been a breach of EU law, either by the individual or by the State?

He mentions it in one of the reports and cites Von Colson and Factortame as the cases to use but I only have a bit on Von Colson regarding indirect effect. Any help greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hollyb98

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Question about EU - Direct Effect & MS Liability

Does anyone have anything on the role of damages as a remedy where there has been a breach of EU law, either by the individual or by the State?

He mentions it in one of the reports and cites Von Colson and Factortame as the cases to use but I only have a bit on Von Colson regarding indirect effect. Any help greatly appreciated!
    I have Van Colson only in relation to Indirect Effect, but Factortame is used as a three tier test by the ECJ for Member State Liability, I have here that the case builds on the test originally set out by Francovich and basically says that for breach amounting to MS liability must be 'sufficently serious' and theres a few cases then establishing what sufficently serious means, I don't know if that is much help?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

hollyb98 wrote: »
    I have Van Colson only in relation to Indirect Effect, but Factortame is used as a three tier test by the ECJ for Member State Liability, I have here that the case builds on the test originally set out by Francovich and basically says that for breach amounting to MS liability must be 'sufficiently serious' and there's a few cases then establishing what sufficiently serious means, I don't know if that is much help?

Yeah I have cases to illustrate that point on 'sufficiently serious' but he particularly mentions those cases in relation to the "role of damages as a remedy" which strikes me as weird.

The part of the question that bit is referring to is just about whether the State is liable for damages and between what time period, so really I'd just answer it away no problem but the fact he mentions the role of damages in relation to those two cases and then goes on to say 'it should include an examination on MS Liability w/Francovich, Sutton, Factortame etc...

Just threw me off a bit and just feel like he's looking for a different point to what I have.

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Yeah I have cases to illustrate that point on 'sufficiently serious' but he particularly mentions those cases in relation to the "role of damages as a remedy" which strikes me as weird.

The part of the question that bit is referring to is just about whether the State is liable for damages and between what time period, so really I'd just answer it away no problem but the fact he mentions the role of damages in relation to those two cases and then goes on to say 'it should include an examination on MS Liability w/Francovich, Sutton, Factortame etc...

Just threw me off a bit and just feel like he's looking for a different point to what I have.

The role of damages as a remedy is asking you to talk about MS liability. Where DE can't apply the court can grant damages under MS liability per the conditions laid down in Francovich/Factorame

Not sure how Von Colson fits into MS Liability though, I only have that for indirect effect

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Yeah I think all regs, directives and decisions are. A non-legislative act would be either a delegated act or an implementing act. A legislative act is adopted by the Council and Parliament together whereas a non-legislative act will be adopted by the Commission based on a power given to it under a legislative act, these fill in the details missing from the main legislative act.

Simple enough :rolleyes:

But be careful with thisn the lesser test introduced in lisbon only applied to non-legislative acts that do not require implementing measures, therefore the new "direct concern" test applies to delegated acts only

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoaoaoao2019

Might be useful to anyone sitting tort - the UCC v ESB Supreme Court ruling was released at the beginning of July, overturned CA so could be a nice snippet to get in your answers to show up to date with the law!

Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

What do people think about article 30 and 110 coming up for the August exam? Art 34 seems easier though so hoping it is that!

Lcork23 wrote: »
    What do people think about article 30 and 110 coming up for the August exam? Art 34 seems easier though so hoping it is that!

Both could come up!

Does anyone have case law on mergers? Just realised my manual has 0 cases, only legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

UCC/ESB is only in my notes for nuisance, is that correct?

• Advertisement

Just got my Letter from Law Society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

UCC/ESB is only in my notes for nuisance, is that correct?

From what I read they were found guilty of negligence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lawabc

Dublin sitting in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Hey folks, does anyone have sample answers for any of the more recent Tort papers that they can send me. I have really good notes for EU/Tort/Contract/Cons and Property that I can swap. Thanks

Lawabc wrote: »
    Dublin sitting in Croke Park

My letter says RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

In need of two specific EU essay sample answers if anyone can help me out... they come up quite regularly! The principle of equivalence (pelati question) and the non privileged applicants judicial review question! Or any insight would be greatly appreciated

In need of two specific EU essay sample answers if anyone can help me out... they come up quite regularly! The principle of equivalence (pelati question) and the non privileged applicants judicial review question! Or any insight would be greatly appreciated

Do you have the sitting they came up? I might be able to fish one out

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Do you have the sitting they came up? I might be able to fish one out

The judicial review question came up in March Q4 2020 and the principle of equivalence question came up in March 2017 Q2 but very possibly after this too, I just don’t have access to recent sitting!

Be great if you had something!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lawFE1s19976

Has anyone received their letter today? A little bit worried with how late they're leaving it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Has anyone received their letter today? A little bit worried with how late they're leaving it

I haven’t so I emailed but if you look back three people have but they say different things apparently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement