Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Has anyone received their letter today? A little bit worried with how late they're leaving it

I did and my letter says the RDS. I'm sure yours is on the way and hopefully you will get it today or tomorrow. Mine was dated 30th July so they only left late last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

From what I read they were found guilty of negligence ?

The Nuisance/Negligence elements confused me a little here also. I had a glance through the Judgment and from what I gather the SC didn't really go into detail on Nuisance as they found ESB liable in Negligence. There is talk of the Leaky Jurisprudence a few times but that seems to link back to the High Court ruling...

For Negligence/DOC at least you can reference it saying it's a clear endorsement for Glencar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

From what I read they were found guilty of negligence ?

Yes, I took that reading too. Though judgment did refer to nuisance but as mentioned, elected to deal with issues on grounds of negligence.

In respect of the initial question asked re areas which judgment can relate to, I would say it's quite important for negligence (standard of care) and also public authority liability which also falls under negligence in my notes.

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    The Nuisance/Negligence elements confused me a little here also. I had a glance through the Judgment and from what I gather the SC didn't really go into detail on Nuisance as they found ESB liable in Negligence. There is talk of the Leaky Jurisprudence a few times but that seems to link back to the High Court ruling...

For Negligence/DOC at least you can reference it saying it's a clear endorsement for Glencar etc.

I thought the judges questioned the helpfulness of some of the elements of Glencar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

They did they questioned what they have to look at as part of the fair and reasonable limb of the test

• Advertisement

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    I thought the judges questioned the helpfulness of some of the elements of Glencar?

Yeah sorry I meant that you can use the USB case to simply say the court said that the starting point for any consideration of the extent of the DOC in this jurisdiction must be Glencar. I'm thinking as a snappy intro to a problem Q rather than delving back into a full blown history of the development of DOC.

I know they questioned how useful the 3rd part of the test is as it's difficult to determine what is just and equitable.

I did and my letter says the RDS. I'm sure yours is on the way and hopefully you will get it today or tomorrow. Mine was dated 30th July so they only left late last week.

Same here, just got my letter and it says the RDS also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Got letter for croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Does anyone know if the AG or president came up in March's constitutional please?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Does anyone know if the AG or president came up in March's constitutional please?

No didn't come up in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Does anyone think Professional/Medical Negligence will come up again?

Just contemplating leaving it out, but then would be raging if it came up!

Just contemplating leaving it out, but then would be raging if it came up![/quote

I’m doing it anyway !! Only thing I’m not looking at is defamation and some of the smaller topics that don’t come up like deceit and conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Just contemplating leaving it out, but then would be raging if it came up!

I have it covered but I have a funny feeling that if it does come up it's not going to be in the context of a doctor/medical staff! I feel they may try put it into the context of a solicitor or some financial/tax professional..

I am only thinking this because a professional negligence question came up in relation to a tax advisor in October 2016 and not since then! To be honest I didn't like the question so I will probably avoid it if it comes up like this again

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trainee1986

Hi everyone, posting this again for anyone else interested. My firm - an established criminal and personal injuries firm located in Dublin 1 - is looking to give an extended internship (at least 6 months) starting September/Oct 2020. This would suit a bright graduate interested in gaining daily court experience and advocacy skills (firm works in all courts from District up to Supreme). This is a hands-on role. Review of applications will begin on 17th August.

Send me a message for more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MrAlex123

Has anyone had any correspondence re the October timetable? I was going to plan my subjects around that, but I’m getting very anxious now about starting!
    In need of two specific EU essay sample answers if anyone can help me out... they come up quite regularly! The principle of equivalence (pelati question) and the non privileged applicants judicial review question! Or any insight would be greatly appreciated

Pretty sure Equivalence has only been asked twice (Oct 19 & Mar 17) in the past 16 sittings.

JR essays are only ever examined in two ways. The only difference is you either begin with Plaumann or UDA - after that they are the exact same essay. The problem JR questions are extremely easy - your essay will more or less answer it. If you PM me your email I'll try find some of my sample answers from March and send them over.

P.s. it's extremely important you include a 'challenges post Lisbon' paragraph in any JR question explaining the meaning of 'regulatory acts' (Inuit). He's expressly called candidates out in his examiner report for not including this.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Iso_123 wrote: »
    I have it covered but I have a funny feeling that if it does come up it's not going to be in the context of a doctor/medical staff! I feel they may try put it into the context of a solicitor or some financial/tax professional..

I am only thinking this because a professional negligence question came up in relation to a tax advisor in October 2016 and not since then! To be honest I didn't like the question so I will probably avoid it if it comes up like this again

Yeah! I was thinking the same after looking through the exam papers. This is probably a really stupid Q, but do the Dunne principles apply to professional negligence or just Medical? I'm trying to map out an answer.

Also, does anyone know how to have answered the one from October 2019?? Again, looks a bit tricky and not sure how best to have approached it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lawhead12

Has anyone heard anything re Cork exam venues?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Just wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction of what that topics they are covering/seriously revising for tort - it’s my first time sitting an FE1 and I’m just trying to figure out how many topics genuinely focus on/what they think will be important for this sitting! Any help would be so appreciated

Yeah! I was thinking the same after looking through the exam papers. This is probably a really stupid Q, but do the Dunne principles apply to professional negligence or just Medical? I'm trying to map out an answer.

Also, does anyone know how to have answered the one from October 2019?? Again, looks a bit tricky and not sure how best to have approached it??

Well I know the case Roche v Peilow stated that "general approved practice" rule applies to solicitors too so I would assume it applies to tax/financial advisors or any professional as well.. Really not sure how to approach that question either to be honest!

I saw a sample answer that answered it in the context of negligent misstatement but the question actually says advise for professional negligence so this confused me even more to be honest!

I’m currently trying to do everything bar defamation.

Focusing on
    •General Principles of Negligence - DOC CAUSATION STANDARD OF CARE
    •Professional Neg
    •Nervous Shock
    •Limitations of Action
    •Passing Off
    •Nuisance
    •Rylands v Fletcher
    • Vicarious Liability
    •Occupiers Liability
    •Products Liability
    •Employers Liability

• Advertisement

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction of what that topics they are covering/seriously revising for tort - it’s my first time sitting an FE1 and I’m just trying to figure out how many topics genuinely focus on/what they think will be important for this sitting! Any help would be so appreciated

These are the topics I have covered anyway;

General negligence (DOC, standard of care, causation, remoteness)
    Pure Economic loss/Negligent misstatement
    Trespass to person
    Land torts (nuisance, trespass, rylands)
    Nervous shock
    Vicarious Liability
    Employers Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Product Liability
    Professional Negligence
    Passing off
    Limitations
    Defamation

Thank you so much for this!
    I’m currently trying to do everything bar defamation.

Focusing on
    •General Principles of Negligence - DOC CAUSATION STANDARD OF CARE
    •Professional Neg
    •Nervous Shock
    •Limitations of Action
    •Passing Off
    •Nuisance
    •Rylands v Fletcher
    • Vicarious Liability
    •Occupiers Liability
    •Products Liability
    •Employers Liability

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

No didn't come up in March.

Thanks a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

For tort, would it be foolish to leave out:

Functions of tort law
    Concurrent wrongdoers
    Negligent care of children
    Statutory liability
    Defective premises

I’ve everything else covered.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pc_law

Has anybody else not received a letter from the law society yet regarding the exams next week? Really poor that they are leaving it so late!

Pc_law wrote: »
    Has anybody else not received a letter from the law society yet regarding the exams next week? Really poor that they are leaving it so late!

I haven’t either. I rang and no answer so left a message and they didn’t ring me back. I also emailed and haven’t heard a thing! Not helping the stress.

For tort, would it be foolish to leave out:

Functions of tort law
    Concurrent wrongdoers
    Negligent care of children
    Statutory liability
    Defective premises

I’ve everything else covered.

TIA.

I’d definitely recommend glancing over concurrent wrongdoers as it could come up in an essay or as a small part of a problem question

I’d definitely recommend glancing over concurrent wrongdoers as it could come up in an essay or as a small part of a problem question

Thanks!

Was going to say the same. It's useful to know even a few of the cases. Plus it's quite short too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Are the Dublin exams being sat in both croke park and the RDS? I live about 20 minutes from croke park but my letter says rds?

Wonder if I can change !

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

I know most people got letters today but given that indoor gatherings were restriced to 50 people this evening, are there likely to be further changes to location / rules about when to arrive etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    I know most people got letters today but given that indoor gatherings were restriced to 50 people this evening, are there likely to be further changes to location / rules about when to arrive etc?

Well f@ck

Aoibhin511 wrote: »

Indoor gatherings have been restricted to 50 for the last two months. I’m assuming they worked on the basis that they can only have 50 people in each pod and meeting. I haven’t got my letter but I’m assuming it tells you where to go or puts people in groups. I’m sure there’ll be clear signage at the venues however and people there to tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Hey folks, does anyone have sample answers for any of the more recent Tort papers that they can send me. I have really good notes for EU/Tort/Contract/Cons and Property that I can swap. Thanks

Sent you a message!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MrAlex123

Indoor gatherings have been restricted to 50 for the last two months. I’m assuming they worked on the basis that they can only have 50 people in each pod and meeting. I haven’t got my letter but I’m assuming it tells you where to go or puts people in groups. I’m sure there’ll be clear signage at the venues however and people there to tell you

I'd reckon they were working on the basis that phase 4 would have been given the green light today and indoor gatherings increased to 100. Defo chasing their tails now making 'pods'.

• Advertisement

MrAlex123 wrote: »
    I'd reckon they were working on the basis that phase 4 would have been given the green light today and indoor gatherings increased to 100. Defo chasing their tails now making 'pods'.

Yeah I definitely think they were hoping for phase 4. But no matter what they had to make pods of some size

Half thinking it could end up being cancelled but there’s so many people relying on it to go ahead it’d be very disappointing.

Just have to stick with studying and let them sort out what they’re going to do. They’ve two venues already so they had some sort of a plan to spread people around

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Hi all, not sure if it's a corkist thing 😉 but have anybody in Cork got "the letter" re exams next week. Could anyone from the pale let us poor culchies know what the letter says in general. Thanks.

From cork too and no letter yet either ....
    Hi all, not sure if it's a corkist thing 😉 but have anybody in Cork got "the letter" re exams next week. Could anyone from the pale let us poor culchies know what the letter says in general. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Healyjhow wrote: »
    From cork too and no letter yet either ....

I'm in Dublin and no letter.. hopefully will arrive tomorrow.

They are probably alphabetically done. I'm "s" .
    Yeah hopefully we will all get them tomorrow. Very hard to see how" physically" the exams will go ahead in October.

• Advertisement

Really hoping they don't get cancelled. Considering people won't be 'mixing' and social distancing will be possible I think we might be ok?

But either way I hope the law society will clarify tomorrow to avoid any added stress/uncertainty. Already a bit of a joke letters getting sent out so late with new venues and procedures - I don't understand their aversion to email and technology in general.

What new venues ?

What new venues ?

As in not Red Cow.. the RDS and apparently some getting letters saying theirs in Croke Park.

Yeah every other exam went online - barrister entrance exam and chartered accountants exams.

Although tbf online exams do not work for everyone as there’s loads of people with bad internet and all.

It's the METROPLE for Cork! We have to wear a mask for three hours, sweet jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

It's the METROPLE for Cork! We have to wear a mask for three hours, sweet jesus.

So it’s not Neptune anymore?

Not on my letter, Beckett suite in the Metrople. Much more central location , thank god.

My cork location is Rochestown Park! Really dreading the face mask, as a glasses wearer it’s nothing short of a nightmare. Nothing at all against face mask wearing - I’m 100% on board but it will make the exam that bit more difficult and I think it really would have been a good idea to go online for the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

Anything about liquids/drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

If we have seating 2m apart why do we have to wear masks. We all signed forms saying we dont have it. I've taken 14 days off work so I'm not coming into contact with a soul and I don't want to wear a mask for 3 hours when I'm going to be sweating like f*ck anyway.

I wear them at work for 8 hours and sure they're uncomfortable, and I could wear them for 3 hours but I am going to be unbelievably distracted by it during the exam, constantly itching my beard, pulling it up or down as it moves around on my face...Just a general pain in the backside. Don't see why we have to wear them if we socially distance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement