Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Hey,

Could someone please send me the Criminal paper from October 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

Hi Guys,

Can anyone send me a property exam grid? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawLover2020

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I have a quick question about the new FE1 rules. I was wondering, following the introduction of the new rules, would somebody who passed their first three FE1’s in 2017 now have until the end of 2024 to secure all eight passes? I'm asking this given the new rules now state you have seven years to secure all eight passes. Under the old system, that candidate would have had until the end of 2022 to secure all eight passes (as the rules was five years to secure all eight passes).

It's great that they have got rid of having to sit three and pass three rule for first-time candidates. It things less stressful, fairer, and more manageable.

Thank you.

From my interpretation of the wording of the S.I., it would seem that way. But there still seems to be a lot of ambiguity around the new rules in general.

On that note, has anyone received confirmation about carrying exams from previous sittings? It's beyond stressful not knowing which exams to study for!
    Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I have a quick question about the new FE1 rules. I was wondering, following the introduction of the new rules, would somebody who passed their first three FE1’s in 2017 now have until the end of 2024 to secure all eight passes? I'm asking this given the new rules now state you have seven years to secure all eight passes. Under the old system, that candidate would have had until the end of 2022 to secure all eight passes (as the rules was five years to secure all eight passes).

It's great that they have got rid of having to sit three and pass three rule for first-time candidates. It things less stressful, fairer, and more manageable.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Hi all,

October 2019 exam candidates - I passed two exams and was allowed to carry them forward to this year in light of the new rules as I made an application to the Law Society Education committee in December challenging the fact that the decision to get rid of the rule was made before we sat the exams in October yet was not extended to us. I would hope they would be applying this to all October candidates in the same position but it is well worth writing an email to the FE1 section email to make an application.

Unfortunately I doubt this will be extended to other candidates before October as there can’t be unlimited retrospective application. My argument was that at the very least October candidates should have been informed about the change to come so that we could make a decision whether to wait and sit the exams until the rule was abolished. But nonetheless I’m sure it is so frustrating for people who were subject to that rule for years.

Bottom line is definitely write the email! I’m so glad I did as I was sure it would just be ignored. If anyone has any questions just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

htnor wrote: »
    Hi all,

October 2019 exam candidates - I passed two exams and was allowed to carry them forward to this year in light of the new rules as I made an application to the Law Society Education committee in December challenging the fact that the decision to get rid of the rule was made before we sat the exams in October yet was not extended to us. I would hope they would be applying this to all October candidates in the same position but it is well worth writing an email to the FE1 section email to make an application.

Unfortunately I doubt this will be extended to other candidates before October as there can’t be unlimited retrospective application. My argument was that at the very least October candidates should have been informed about the change to come so that we could make a decision whether to wait and sit the exams until the rule was abolished. But nonetheless I’m sure it is so frustrating for people who were subject to that rule for years.

Bottom line is definitely write the email! I’m so glad I did as I was sure it would just be ignored. If anyone has any questions just ask.

Fingers crossed! Can I ask how long it took to get a response from the law society? I’ve previously found them so bad for replying but feel so up in the air with study when I don’t even know exactly what ones I’ll need to sit!

Anyone have any advice for tort and equity? It’s my first time sitting them both and I only have old manuals.. no grids or sample answers so I’m feeling very overwhelmed!

Any help would be appreciated so much!

Sineaddh wrote: »
    Fingers crossed! Can I ask how long it took to get a response from the law society? I’ve previously found them so bad for replying but feel so up in the air with study when I don’t even know exactly what ones I’ll need to sit!

It took a while - wrote in 2nd Dec didn’t hear back until the 22nd Dec.

I’ve just heard that apparently this week they are notifying anyone was told they can carry over they will no longer be able to carry over! This is unreal! Will update with whatever I hear

I can confirm this. I was told by the Law Society that letters will be issued to everyone tomorrow, providing clarification.

I’ve just heard that apparently this week they are notifying anyone was told they can carry over they will no longer be able to carry over! This is unreal! Will update with whatever I hear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

It took a while - wrote in 2nd Dec didn’t hear back until the 22nd Dec.

So does that mean you are the only FE1 candidate who is allowed to carry forward exams? I too wrote an email but didn’t challenge the new rules. Apologises if I’ve taken what you posted up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

lawDani wrote: »
    this is amazing news i feel like crying. Sat my first three in October and passed 1. emailed the LawSoc there here's hoping...

did you successfully carry your pass over from Oct 19?

I sent the email that I was told to send, didn't get a response, but looking at other comments I don't think I'll get a response until they asses my email and decide if I can carry. When I spoke to the fe1 section I got the impression it was a definite yes, but maybe not now...finger crossed!!

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    Quick Tip - Always look at scripts of failed exams if you are anywhere near close to passing. I failed Constitutional, got 45. Checked the script in the Law Society and noticed a question i had answered and been awarded 11 marks for was not added to the total on the front of the script. The paper had been checked by the external examiner. When i rang the Law Society and informed them they were of the opinion that 45 was the correct mark and that i was mistaken. Two days later i received a call informing me that a mistake had indeed been made and that my correct score was 56 and a pass.

Really wish I did this!! Got 43 in criminal, felt I did ALOT better after the exam but didn't bother getting it rechecked cause the 'magic three' I only passed the one exam so didn't bother!!

igobuy wrote: »
    So does that mean you are the only FE1 candidate who is allowed to carry forward exams? I too wrote an email but didn’t challenge the new rules. Apologises if I’ve taken what you posted up wrong.

Surely not, if they give it to one they have to give it to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

L.E.D wrote: »
    I sent the email that I was told to send, didn't get a response, but looking at other comments I don't think I'll get a response until they asses my email and decide if I can carry. When I spoke to the fe1 section I got the impression it was a definite yes, but maybe not now...finger crossed!!

Did you get an email saying it was passed on to the educational officer? I got one, so maybe double check it was received. I haven't heard anything since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LBGan94

Did you get an email saying it was passed on to the educational officer? I got one, so maybe double check it was received. I haven't heard anything since then.

What email did you use ? I haven’t heard back from them yet

• Advertisement

LBGan94 wrote: »
    What email did you use ? I haven’t heard back from them yet

FE1Section@lawsociety.ie

igobuy wrote: »

Well I wouldn’t think so from the looks of things other people have also been told yes they could carry forward and others haven’t been confirmed yet but we’re given positive answers. I don’t see how they could give it to one and not to all. It seems now they might be trying to go back on what they have said which isn’t acceptable at all either.

Well I wouldn’t think so from the looks of things other people have also been told yes they could carry forward and others haven’t been confirmed yet but we’re given positive answers. I don’t see how they could give it to one and not to all. It seems now they might be trying to go back on what they have said which isn’t acceptable at all either.

Thanks for the response. When I spoke to the law society about sending in the request they didn’t give me the impression that it was def yes. Just frustrating that they couldn’t inform all candidates sooner with the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keelfe1s

I really thought I’d get exams carried over from Oct but it’s not looking too optimistic. my third time sitting exams and got 2/3 each sitting... I’ve spent all my annual leave from work in casa de red cow... not to mention the amount of money I’ve spent and endless hours of study! So disappointed

keelfe1s wrote: »
    I really thought I’d get exams carried over from Oct but it’s not looking too optimistic. my third time sitting exams and got 2/3 each sitting... I’ve spent all my annual leave from work in casa de red cow... not to mention the amount of money I’ve spent and endless hours of study! So disappointed

I feel your pain! The financial and mental burden of these exams is just so unreal...

• Advertisement

Out of interest, would anyone be interested in starting a petition if the Law Society are unwilling to allow passes to be carried? Or perhaps there is a better solution?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels totally powerless against this body who constantly abuse their power and cause serious problems for those at their mercy. Their lack of transparency and accountability is infuriating.

Strength in numbers and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Would anyone be so kind and be able to send me on the essays that have come up on the last 3/4 contract papers? I know they can be quite repetitive!

Want to get samples done and dusted for revision!!!

I've resent the email just now, it was definitely sent on the 17th of December. Hopefully it's just delayed cause the Xmas break!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mcgreee

Does anyone have recent sample answers for tort? I can swap for Constitutional, Criminal, Company, or Contract!

I just called the Law Society with regard to carrying passes. At this stage, I almost feel bad for the administrators who are caught in the middle of this mess and are definitely aware of our concern.

To summarise, a decision has not yet been made and the committee are continuing to debate whether or not they will allow passes to be carried.

If a petition is going to be made, now is the time to do it. There is no point voicing our thoughts after the decision is made.

Again, I am happy to help organise same but only if others are on board and will support it / share it etc? We would ideally need to turn it around and get it to the Law Society within the next day or two!

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

I would definitely support the petition on the basis that this is a complete abuse of power and an unacceptable way to treat exam candidates.

I wrote to the Law Society at the beginning of Jan explaining that I had passed two and just missed out on a third (which I am having rechecked and await the result on Friday). I am yet to receive a response apart from that my request has been passed on to the Education Officer.

The text that accompanied the results online on results day referred to "rules" attached which appeared to be the new rules and not the old rules which is misleading and probably intended to be deliberately vague.

It is possible that they are waiting for people to be awarded rechecks so that they can then see how many people still stand affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keelfe1s

100% would support the petition. It’s a joke -

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

I just called the Law Society with regard to carrying passes. At this stage, I almost feel bad for the administrators who are caught in the middle of this mess and are definitely aware of our concern.

To summarise, a decision has not yet been made and the committee are continuing to debate whether or not they will allow passes to be carried.

If a petition is going to be made, now is the time to do it. There is no point voicing our thoughts after the decision is made.

Again, I am happy to help organise same but only if others are on board and will support it / share it etc? We would ideally need to turn it around and get it to the Law Society within the next day or two!

Any thoughts?

Hiya, I would defo support a petition!

I agree with everything that has been said, also it's eating into my study time as I don't know should I be studying for the exams I passed, not to mention the application form.. I don't want to pay for them if I have passed etc.

THE PETITION IS NOW LIVE: Please sign as soon as possible and share to any other candidates you know!

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/permit-fe-1-students-to-carry-passes

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Hi, would anyone please explain to me the difference between general principles of Eu and the fundamental rights of EU and what each entails, slight confused at the moment, Thanks. Also which should I focus on?

• Advertisement

They just sent out an email they would examine applications to carry forward exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Out of interest, would anyone be interested in starting a petition if the Law Society are unwilling to allow passes to be carried? Or perhaps there is a better solution?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels totally powerless against this body who constantly abuse their power and cause serious problems for those at their mercy. Their lack of transparency and accountability is infuriating.

Strength in numbers and all that...

Did S.I. No. 503 of 2019 not become effective on 1st January 2020? If so, does the SI make any mention of it being applied retrospectively?

That would be the basis of making an argument or not in my eyes.

The general common law principle that legislation does not operate retrospectively is reflected in Article 15.5 of the 1937 Constitution, which provides that the Oireachtas shall not declare to be infringements of the law Acts which were not prohibited by law at the date of their commission.

On the connection between Article 15 and the common law rule, see In re Heffron Kearns Ltd No.1 [1993] 3 IR 77

The presumption that the Oireachtas does not intend an Act to apply retrospectively was stated in Hamilton v Hamilton.

“When an Act changes the substantive, as distinct from procedural law then, regardless of whether the Act is otherwise prospective or retrospective in its operation, it is not to be deemed to affect proceedings brought under the pre-Act law and pending at the date of the coming into operation of the Act, unless the Act expressly or by necessary intendment provides to the contrary.”

They just sent out an email they would examine applications to carry forward exams.

Just got that too, do you think we have to justify it or just try state the facts?

i.e by justify I mean say working full time, financial burden etc. etc.

Just got that too, do you think we have to justify it or just try state the facts?

i.e by justify I mean say working full time, financial burden etc. etc.

I don’t understand it does that mean we have to apply again even though we already sent in the email asking carry forward the passed exams?

Just saw the email they have sent to candidates this evening! That looks really positive. Thank god for that. Bit weird they are making people apply to be considered but it’s better than nothing I suppose.

Looks like great news! I don't see any reason why they would invite us all to apply and then say no...

However, I note the committee is going to sit on the 23rd January... And the deadline for March FE-1 applications is on the 24th January...? :confused:
    Just saw the email they have sent to candidates this evening! That looks really positive. Thank god for that. Bit weird they are making people apply to be considered but it’s better than nothing I suppose.

I know, a bit crazy!? I guess I won't be sitting those subjects in March, no matter what happens! :/

It took me 2 months to get my refund from last round of exams so disappointed to have to apply and hopefully get a refund again if I’m allowed carry my previous passes. But if I’m allowed carry my last 2 that’s the important thing I guess!

Do you think we are to argue our case to be allowed to pass in the application forms? Like discussing circumstances?

Looks like great news! I don't see any reason why they would invite us all to apply and then say no...

However, I note the committee is going to sit on the 23rd January... And the deadline for March FE-1 applications is on the 24th January...? :confused:

That’s really annoying actually. However I don’t see how they can refuse anyone to carry over now. I would say everyone can assume they will be able to carry their passes over but the uncertainty is still annoying.

I emailed in the Monday after results so I was lucky in that sense that my email happened to be considered in the Committees meeting on the 5th Dec and I have it in writing now that I can carry my two passes over. So I think anyone who is emailing now will be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ahona

Am I the only one who did not get any email ?

That’s really annoying actually. However I don’t see how they can refuse anyone to carry over now. I would say everyone can assume they will be able to carry their passes over but the uncertainty is still annoying.

I emailed in the Monday after results so I was lucky in that sense that my email happened to be considered in the Committees meeting on the 5th Dec and I have it in writing now that I can carry my two passes over. So I think anyone who is emailing now will be ok.

Did you explain in detail your circumstances or just ask nicely to carry your passes? :p

Sineaddh wrote: »
    Did you explain in detail your circumstances or just ask nicely to carry your passes? :p

Not really I didn’t really comment on personal circumstances at all, just that it was really unfair we would have to sit and pay for exams in March that we have already secured passes in in October when the rule has just been abolished due to its unfairness. But my main argument was that the decision to get rid of the rule was made before we sat exams in October so didn’t make sense that we would still be subject to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

ahona wrote: »
    Am I the only one who did not get any email ?

I didn’t either! Should I email them? What should I say?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Hey guys, just a quick query. Do any of you have had misplaced the results letter from few years ago (when didnt get the magic three)? I am quite sure I passed contract before, but cant find the results letter. Have anyone ever emailed the Law Society to request copy letter of results dating few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 decco201

Hi, would anyone have a grid for EU and Tort?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

illy.m wrote: »
    Hey guys, just a quick query. Do any of you have had misplaced the results letter from few years ago (when didnt get the magic three)? I am quite sure I passed contract before, but cant find the results letter. Have anyone ever emailed the Law Society to request copy letter of results dating few years back?

Do you have an account on the law society website? This will show you your results to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Do you have an account on the law society website? This will show you your results to date.

Where does it show these? Mine now only says the date for recheck results.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

can anyone tell me what constitutional topics they are studying for the March 2020 sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

Wow that is crazy, it must be some relief!:pac: You will be checking them all now!

That was my last exam! Finally finished!

Just spoke to the fe1 section, we can submit the form to request carrying the previous passes by soft copy 😊 easier !!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement