Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

I don’t believe that the students from there won’t be able to sit them if they do go ahead. You can travel for work if necessary. If they go ahead I don’t think anyone would stop them sitting it unless the student themselves decided against it

which is putting students is same position they did last time, a very unfair one.
    Come maybe kill someone, stay home miss your training contract.

I think they will go ahead. Socially distanced, masks, sanitizers etc, exactly as planned. Decision to attend will be put in our hands.
    I'll make my decision morning of unless any news between now and then. Skipped last time, don't regret it, but think circumstances are a bit safer this time. (certainly hope so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

spygirl wrote: »
    which is putting students is same position they did last time, a very unfair one.
    Come maybe kill someone, stay home miss your training contract.

Tbh they should have had it online for those that needed it to start blackhall in September and no one else because they’re the ones who are relying on it most and will be the most put out by a cancellation

98 cases is very high, I think there was less when the exam was cancelled the last time! I know we were on the other side of the curve then but still worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

It just beggars belief that the exams haven't been moved online?! Would have meant we could have avoided all this drama, really feeling for those in the affected counties, difficult decisions to be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

98 cases is very high, I think there was less when the exam was cancelled the last time! I know we were on the other side of the curve then but still worrying

yeah there was just 40 cases on march 15th, the day before tort

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    It just beggars belief that the exams haven't been moved online?! Would have meant we could have avoided all this drama, really feeling for those in the affected counties, difficult decisions to be made!

I'm starting to worry may be difficult decisions no matter what county you are in depending on what the weekend brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Oh I remember believe me, starting to feel a bit cursed regarding these exams. October personal disaster (small one in grand scheme of things in fairness), March Covid, Now August ... who knows.i

Was a bit concerned sitting them at all last week, got over it now who knows.

Whats a good career path these days? Bootlegger, Drug dealer (mild ones, if these are cancelled again no genuine suggestions discounted.

You forgot those storms in October 2019 that hit the west quite badly (I think that was Oct 2019........ I am losing track at this stage). :p At this point they can't lose face and cancel again :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

You forgot those storms in October 2019 that hit the west quite badly (I think that was Oct 2019........ I am losing track at this stage). :p At this point they can't lose face and cancel again :pac: :pac:

If the Law Society are more worried about losing face (with whom?) than covid it’s not a great reflection on them

Just a thought - surely for contact tracing from these exams the best bet is the app... but with phones being turned off this will hinder its effectiveness massively?

• Advertisement

If the Law Society are more worried about losing face (with whom?) than covid it’s not a great reflection on them

I’d see them as more responsible if they did cancel rather than having people who have never met each other before be in the same area to sit an exam.

Just a thought - surely for contact tracing from these exams the best bet is the app... but with phones being turned off this will hinder its effectiveness massively?

I think I read in the letter that you have to fill in your details when you get there

I did forget the storms lol, maybe the exams are cursed.
    I don't think they would care about losing face in fairness if they had to cancel. If it has to be done, they will. They will have little choice.

Monday is going to interesting, I still think Tort will go ahead. If it worsens EU could be in trouble but safety measures are different this time.

Reduced numbers in rooms. Staggered start times, masks etc, none of that in place last time. I think we will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bobsyourbrief

Bask453 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like the Law Society are treading a fine line in pushing ahead with these exams, there will be some scandal if an outbreak is traced back to one of the sittings, especially when literally every other professional exam has been moved to an online format, it's not like they didn't have time to prepare...

Speaking of time to prepare, I was wondering back in March why they never had some kind of cancellation protocol in place before anyway? Everything seemed very on the fly and pushed to the very last second. Pulling the plug on the exams less than 24 hours beforehand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

I'm getting flashbacks to all of us posting in this thread just before the exams were cancelled last time.

Speaking of time to prepare, I was wondering back in March why they never had some kind of cancellation protocol in place before anyway? Everything seemed very on the fly and pushed to the very last second. Pulling the plug on the exams less than 24 hours beforehand too.

I feel like they’re the same this time, very reluctant to give out information or get in contact with anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

I'm getting flashbacks to all of us posting in this thread just before the exams were cancelled last time.

Same it’s actually a disgrace, another weekend to put down not knowing what’s going to happen as if the exams aren’t stressful enough

This is basically putting us all in the same situation as before, precautions or no precautions. We now have isolated counties that are under lockdown (and cases in other counties as well) and we are all travelling from across the country to sit the same exam.

If I recall correctly, they never had to cancel before and have gone forward with the exams in all circumstances ever since they were introduced in the nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Hiya1234 wrote: »
    Could just mean no one from those counties can sit the exam but the rest of us might be ok...

I'd consider this essential travel imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Boltabb

pShp2de.jpg?1

For now all we can do is keep plugging away. Lost a lot of study time last March worrying, hoping not to do it again.

Get the head down revising and come up for air after the weekend, see what Monday brings. We will hear nothing before that either way.

Doubt anyone in the office over the weekend.

With that in mind, anyone have a copy of Oct 2019 Tort report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

These exams need to go online for October. I sympathise with people who have poor internet but surely you can make alternative arrangements. Sit them at a friends places, workplace or relatives or even rent an Air B and B or hotel room.But students cannot have this uncertainty right up to the day of the exam and others should not be faced with breaking public health regulations in order to sit them

Lallers96 wrote: »
    I'd consider this essential travel imo.

I think they said essential travel is workers who can’t work from home , medical appointments and essential family visits!

Don’t know if sitting an exam that will be on again in oct, for 3 hours in a room full of strangers would be considered essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

For now all we can do is keep plugging away. Lost a lot of study time last March worrying, hoping not to do it again.

Get the head down revising and come up for air after the weekend, see what Monday brings. We will hear nothing before that either way.

One of them told me today they are in the office tomorrow

I think they said essential travel is workers who can’t work from home , medical appointments and essential family visits!

Don’t know if sitting an exam that will be on again in oct, for 3 hours in a room full of strangers would be considered essential!

Nobody is going to police it are they though? It's all about whether you consider it essential or not to go.

We're all going to be forced to wear masks, and we'll all be in rooms of no more than 50 people and also distanced. People need to get a grip. I don't mean to be insensitive in saying that, but there's a lot of wishful thinking here with some people about cancellation or moving it online. We're adhering to every guidline the hse has advised. We can't let a virus with a what? 98% survival rate stop us from doing things that ARE necessary

As always spygirl comes out as the undisputed voice of reason in this thread.

Nobody is going to police it are they though? It's all about whether you consider it essential or not to go.

We're all going to be forced to wear masks, and we'll all be in rooms of no more than 50 people and also distanced. People need to get a grip

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7b237-special-advice-for-those-living-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly-friday-7-august-2020/

Essential travel pretty clearly defined here.
    Just because no one is policing it doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to be abided by.

I would not be surprised if most candidates defined a training contract hanging in the balance as "essential travel" regardless of what county they are from.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7b237-special-advice-for-those-living-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly-friday-7-august-2020/

Essential travel pretty clearly defined here.
    Just because no one is policing it doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to be abided by.

I'm from Mayo so I'm not affected. But if someone from Kildare wants to go to this exam, nobody will stop them. This is extremely vital for some people's future jobs and lives. This is essential to them. All HSE guidlines will be followed in the exam.

We're all going to be forced to wear masks, and we'll all be in rooms of no more than 50 people and also distanced. People need to get a grip. I don't mean to be insensitive in saying that, but there's a lot of wishful thinking here with some people about cancellation or moving it online. We're adhering to every guidline the hse has advised. We can't let a virus with a what? 98% survival rate stop us from doing things that ARE necessary

I personally can't see it being cancelled, but people have the right to worry after what happened to the last sitting in March and that should be respected.

We are training to be solicitors and should conform with the highest ethical standards. The Law Society cannot promote flagrant disregard of public health regulations. In fact, if the exams are to continue they should prohibit those from the affected countries sitting them.

• Advertisement

I would not be surprised if most candidates defined a training contract hanging in the balance as "essential travel" regardless of what county they are from.

Completely agree, leaves people with very difficult decisions to make unfortunately. And made harder if they receive no guidance from the law soc on the matter!

Also, I think essential travel has been clearly defined in the new guidelines, not up to individuals to decide their own reason is essential enough when an exam fits nowhere into these limited situations

I personally can't see it being cancelled, but people have the right to worry after what happened to the last sitting in March and that should be respected.

There's worry, and there's baseless fear mongering. I saw the news and felt fine. I came here and saw the usual suspects spreading fear about cancellation when we have zero idea what will happen other than, as of now, the exams are going ahead and letting any other thought enter your head is a waste of time and a pointless source of stress as none of us can control this.

vid36 wrote: »
    We are training to be solicitors and should conform with the highest ethical standards. The Law Society cannot promote flagrant disregard of public health regulations. In fact, if the exams are to continue they should prohibit those from the affected countries sitting them.

That would require proof that these exams are not essential and I dare any invigilator tell a law student, of all people, from any of these counties that they are barred from the exam without such proof.

There's worry, and there's baseless fear mongering. I saw the news and felt fine. I came here and saw the usual suspects spreading fear about cancellation when we have zero idea what will happen other than, as of now, the exams are going ahead and letting any other thought enter your head is a waste of time and a pointless source of stress as none of us can control this.

I don't think anyone's intention is to fear monger. Some people take the pandemic a lot more serious than others, whatever way they choose to vent their worry is up to them. I'm confident I'll re-sit this week and I'll come home healthy, not everyone else is like that until they're sat in the exam hall doing the exam. That's fine, March was a bitter blow to a lot of people and the added stress of everything that's going on isn't avoidable for some - regardless of survival rates or lack of control in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

The S.I. is being signed in to law to operate from Sunday.

Not good to start a career in law by ignoring it !

That would require proof that these exams are not essential and I dare any invigilator tell a law student, of all people, from any of these counties that they are barred from the exam without such proof.
    Exams are not essential. Read the government advice.If a student living in Kildare, Laois or Offaly sits an exam then the Law Society are in breach of public health regulations.
    They can lobby to change the regulations and I hope they do, but as of right now, they would be in breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

As the old Irish saying goes...

Sure look, it'll be grand

As always spygirl comes out as the undisputed voice of reason in this thread.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:Never accused of such in my life.

Seriously, it is different then it was in March. People are right to be nervous, they would be silly if they were not. However, there are precautions being taken that were not in place last time. The risk is still the same as it was a few days yesterday. Everyone will make their own decisions based on the best available advice. Same as we did last time. Public health advice is being followed. It's going to come down to personal responsibility.

I think i'll double mask and write the Dunne test on the inside of the first one, I'm only joking I swear, really I am.:rolleyes:

vid36 wrote: »
    Exams are not essential. Read the government advice.If a student living in Kildare, Laois or Offaly sits an exam then the Law Society are in breach of public health regulations.
    They can lobby to change the regulations and I hope they do, but as of right now, they would be in breach.

Keyword, advice. No student who has been preparing for this exam, and spend a great deal of time, effort and money is going to stop going. If I was coming from Kildare I'd simply say I wasn't living there despite my ID showing that address. We've all signed forms to say we don't have COVID and we will be wearing masks from a 2m distance.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's a 1% fatality rate or lower but more and more evidence is coming out from longitudinal studies that people with even mild cases or the corona virus are ending up with post-corona conditions such as cardiac problems, lung problems, insomnia, chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches and more. The truth of the matter is that there is so much we do not know about the virus - honing in on its fatality rate alone is a tragic misstep that too many people are making.

Keyword, advice. No student who has been preparing for this exam, and spend a great deal of time, effort and money is going to stop going. If I was coming from Kildare I'd simply say I wasn't living there despite my ID showing that address. We've all signed forms to say we don't have COVID and we will be wearing masks from a 2m distance.

The regulation is being signed into law.It is not just advice.We cannot ignore SIs that we don't like.

Also, your "usual suspects" remark was rather disparaging - maybe accusing people of baseless hysteria would have landed better if, you know, just over an hour ago there hadn't been lockdown announced for the midlands.

Anything new in Products liability to be aware of for Tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Yes, it's a 1% fatality rate or lower but more and more evidence is coming out from longitudinal studies that people with even mild cases or the corona virus are ending up with post-corona conditions such as cardiac problems, lung problems, insomnia, chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches and more. The truth of the matter is that there is so much we do not know about the virus - honing in on its fatality rate alone is a tragic misstep that too many people are making.

I really want to get my exams over with like everyone else and I will go in. In March I felt very uncomfortable with lower rates recorded but went in to get it not to lose a chance and isolated myself after the exam as I am living with a family member who is high risk. It doesn’t seem fair that alternative arrangements are in place for other big exams such as the accounting and Kings Inn,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Anything new in Products liability to be aware of for Tort?

Don't think so, I have nothing very recent anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

I'm from Mayo so I'm not affected. But if someone from Kildare wants to go to this exam, nobody will stop them. This is extremely vital for some people's future jobs and lives. This is essential to them.

As you said, you're from Mayo, not from Kildare, Offaly or Laois. It is highly unfair of you to condemn people for what you consider "baseless hysteria" when people in those counties are more than justified in their worry. Many of those candidates could be immunocompromised themselves or live with immunocompromised persons or healthcare workers.

Yes, these exams are essential, of course they are but they are not considered essential as per the regulations. Therefore, many other institutions have put exams online/made alternative arrangements. This is a public health crisis, it is much bigger than each of us as individuals. You may downplay the significance of the virus but for some people it is a massive risk.

Does anyone have a quick synopsis, case note on Green v Hardiman? In the alternative can anyone confirm I'm right below.

Superior Courts confirmed that he should be compensated, notwithstanding the argument that he was SB? Clock didn't start to run against him until he knew there was a cause of action? IE when he got back the report in 2012 not when the hernia etc kicked off. So it's very fact specific

There are 3 possible outcomes in my view
    1 Exams proceed without people living in Kildare, Laois and Offaly.
    2.Exams are cancelled
    3.Sitting academic examinations is added to the list of essential travel
    Just ignoring the SI and public health regulations will not happen.

Ok so for tort I have:

Negligence
    Hedley Byrne
    Pure Economic Loss
    Prof neg
    Occupiers liability
    Rylands v fletcher
    Nuisance
    Trespass
    Defamation
    Defences
    Remedies

What else should I cover? Employers or product liability? Both? Passing off?

I’m going on city colleges manual if anyone’s chapters coincide... I’ve never covered so many topics before and am worried about not remembering them all! Also worried about not being able to identify the relevant topics in a question, or being left short because there’s multiple topics in a question!

dobby896 wrote: »
    As you said, you're from Mayo, not from Kildare, Offaly or Laois. It is highly unfair of you to condemn people for what you consider "baseless hysteria" when people in those counties are more than justified in their worry. Many of those candidates could be immunocompromised themselves or live with immunocompromised persons or healthcare workers.

Yes, these exams are essential, of course they are but they are not considered essential as per the regulations. Therefore, many other institutions have put exams online/made alternative arrangements. This is a public health crisis, it is much bigger than each of us as individuals. You may downplay the significance of the virus but for some people it is a massive risk.

If you read my comment I did not say people from the 3 counties are baseless in their worry.

I said people were baseless in their fear mongering that the exams will be cancelled.

For people who it is a massive risk to they will obviously make the decision themselves not to go and I never stated I had any issue with that.

It seems you are reading what you would like to read and argue about rather than what is in front of you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement