Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Is the reason you can use EU cases in Products Liability because all EU countries has similar products legislation?

How do I know when to use VL or employers liability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Vicarious Liability is used where the employee causes an injury to third parties

Employers Liability is to do with the duties an employer owes to his employees

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

Does anybody know when the timetable for October exams is usually released?

fe12020oct wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the timetable for October exams is usually released?

It is usually released right after March sitting but they’re not releasing it this time until after August sittings

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

employers liability arises when the employer is directly at fault for something ie not providing a safe system of work/safe place of work which results in damage/injury to employee.

Vicarious liability the employer is not directly at fault for anything - you are seeking to have them held liable for fault of another. A good indicator is to look at who you're being asked to advise. So for eg if the question is about an employee being negligent and causing an injury to your client but you're asked to advise your client of the employers liability it will be vicarious liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lawgrad101

Those taking public transport will surely need to bring a bag?

Lawgrad101 wrote: »
    Those taking public transport will surely need to bring a bag?

I imagine it will just have to be left outside the exam hall

I have no nails left to bite it's really upsetting lol

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keelfe1s

Quick question... I ordered exam papers and still waiting for them to arrive.How are Member State Liability questions asked? What do i look out for??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jackwoodson

Does anyone have the questions from the last Tort paper (Autumn 2019?) I have all the others just not that one.

Let me know if you need any of the others yourselves (back to 2011)

thanks very much :) (and sorry if i'm breaking some rule here, i've been memorising too many to keep track)

Does anyone have a real succinct summary of parties to a tort action?

I can see it come up on my grid quite often but nothing is mentioned in my manual! :/

I can see it come up on my grid quite often but nothing is mentioned in my manual! :/

Not sure what topic that is tbh, concurrent wrongdoers maybe?

Not sure what topic that is tbh, concurrent wrongdoers maybe?

Oh gosh I haven’t come across that in my manual either!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

I've not come across that either. Do you mean like concurrent tortfeasors or just claimant (the person suing), and tortfeasor, (the person taking the action and the person being sued, accused of liability?)

Can you give us anymore context? Don't name the manual, school grid or anything, just a bit more about what it says?

Ok so this is what I'm going in to Tort with, god help me -

Negligence - I haven't learned categories yet though (3P's, children, omissions etc), should I?
    PEL/Negligent misstatement
    Nervous Shock
    Vicarious
    Occupiers
    Products
    Trespass to Person
    Land torts
    Defamation
    Passing Off
    Animals/Fire
    Concurrent wrongdoers
    Damages
    Limitations
    Functions of tort
    Res Ipsa
    Defences - Poor knowledge
    Professional negligence - Poor knowledge
    Employers liability - Poor knowledge

May the FE1 gods shine down upon me and grant me 5 questions

spygirl wrote: »
    I've not come across that either. Do you mean like concurrent tortfeasors or just claimant (the person suing), and tortfeasor, (the person taking the action and the person being sued, accused of liability?)

Can you give us anymore context? Don't name the manual, school grid or anything, just a bit more about what it says?

See I’m not sure where my grid comes from, just got emailed it from someone on here - topics don’t exactly coincide with my manual!

Grid just says ‘parties to a tort action’
    If it’s any help it says it came up as q6 in October 2019!

Ok so this is what I'm going in to Tort with, god help me -

Negligence - I haven't learned categories yet though (3P's, children, omissions etc), should I?
    PEL/Negligent misstatement
    Nervous Shock
    Vicarious
    Occupiers
    Products
    Trespass to Person
    Land torts
    Defamation
    Passing Off
    Animals/Fire
    Concurrent wrongdoers
    Damages
    Limitations
    Functions of tort
    Res Ipsa
    Defences - Poor knowledge
    Professional negligence - Poor knowledge
    Employers liability - Poor knowledge

May the FE1 gods shine down upon me and grant me 5 questions

Tort is just so so huge! I’ve never learnt 15 topics for any of my previous exams and am so nervous I could have focused on the wrong ones, or the wrong sections and still be left totally stuck on the day! :/

Tort is just so so huge! I’ve never learnt 15 topics for any of my previous exams and am so nervous I could have focused on the wrong ones, or the wrong sections and still be left totally stuck on the day! :/

Yeah it's a nightmare! Little bit of luck and we'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

keelfe1s wrote: »
    Quick question... I ordered exam papers and still waiting for them to arrive.How are Member State Liability questions asked? What do i look out for??

Almost always in a problem q with direct effect. So directive/regulation isn't transpose properly/on time. John suffers a loss because of this. Advise John. First you have to figure out whether or not John can benefit from direct effect and if so then you discuss MS liability

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

The nerves have kicked in!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CiaraND16

Does anyone know what date the October exams are roughly? I need to book off work and when I rang the law school they said they were too busy to tell me so to email them but could take a week for a response ðŸ™႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

CiaraND16 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what date the October exams are roughly? I need to book off work and when I rang the law school they said they were too busy to tell me so to email them but could take a week for a response ðŸ™႒

there was an earlier post that said that the person called the law society and was told October 6 to 15th. Hopefully we will find out on Friday, or next Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

For Tort, Where something escapes from the land i understand this falls under Rylands and Fletcher? But if it is something escaping onto the neighbouring land over a period of time does this then fall under Private Nuisance instead?

Any tips for how to tell between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bask453

LJones18 wrote: »
    For Tort, Where something escapes from the land i understand this falls under Rylands and Fletcher? But if it is something escaping onto the neighbouring land over a period of time does this then fall under Private Nuisance instead?

Any tips for how to tell between the two?

I think it boils down to whether or not the thing escaping has been accumulated for non-natural use.
    So for example, in Superquinn v Bray UDC, the accumulation of water in an artificial lake was seen as non-natural use and Rylands applied. Whereas water accumulated for plumbing and household use would be a natural use and so ordinary nuisance would apply as opposed to Rylands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EAA123

TORT

does anyone have a sample answer for march 2019 or what you would say in relation to causation and the multiple causes?

thanks

The day before an exam is sooooo grim

Yeah just at the stage where i want to get it over with now but at same time want all the time i can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Think this is bad, wait until the morning of an exam, special kind of hell awaits us lol.

It's going to be grand and if it's not, there is October, or March. This year students have been turned upside down on multiple occasions due to social circumstances. We still kept going. Grit is a more valuable skill then rote learning, both personally and professionally. We got this either way.

I'm at the cheerleader phase of my panic process, which could mean either denial or acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

EAA123 wrote: »
    TORT

does anyone have a sample answer for march 2019 or what you would say in relation to causation and the multiple causes?

thanks

I would say UK applies material contribution test to multiple causes but Ireland has yet to adopted material contribution test as per Quinn. So we apply But For. If it is multi factored causes - apply but for as per Wilsher, Cheyward and Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I'm at the point where I just want to sit it now, which is a good place to be. I'm jumping from normal pre game jitters and super confident, with no in between! Just keeping the fingers crossed for a straightforward paper and that I can safely answer 5 questions and I'll be over the moon with that.

Not looking forward to my usual bad sleep in a hotel bed, oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

In VL - when do you apply the simple test V the close connection test?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

Healyjhow wrote: »
    In VL - when do you apply the simple test V the close connection test?

Close connection test is generally used where the employee commits a deliberate/intentional wrong. So it has been primarily used in the sexual abuses cases. The scope test is then used when the employee is doing his job and acting within parameters of authority delegated to him by the employer.

So in a problem q if the employee is in breach of policy or was deliberately told not to do something - apply the course/close connection test. If the employee was doing something he was meant to do but did negligently apply the scope test!

Hope this helps

How would people tackle a general tort query q? Like last sitting asked discuss potential reform and the function of tort law?

How would people tackle a general tort query q? Like last sitting asked discuss potential reform and the function of tort law?

maybe talk about the history of tort law and its functions then pick a few areas of it where reform is needed such as limitation of actions. for example in the report on limitations of action 2011 they said the legislation should be more simplified.

something along them lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Could anyone provide an overview of some recent cases/development in the area of Damages? I have Morrissey v HSE (2020) that states General Damages are capped at 500k and there was also LRC proposals in Dec 2019 about capping General Damages.

I have a sample answer from a few years back and it really just lists the 5 categories of damages and some case law.

Or could anyone think of what angle the examiner might approach a Damages essay? Thanks!

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Could anyone provide an overview of some recent cases/development in the area of Damages? I have Morrissey v HSE (2020) that states General Damages are capped at 500k and there was also LRC proposals in Dec 2019 about capping General Damages.

I have a sample answer from a few years back and it really just lists the 5 categories of damages and some case law.

Or could anyone think of what angle the examiner might approach a Damages essay? Thanks!

Would you mind sharing the LRC proposals? I don't have anything for that

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

Does anybody have a sample answer for EU law - Q2 in October 2019? It is an essay question on 'equivalence' and 'practical possibility' and the Pelati v Slovenia. The question seems to have come up a number of times in recent years but I do not have anything on it and there's nothing in my manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Would you mind sharing the LRC proposals? I don't have anything for that

Yeah nb, I didn't read the whole thing just a few online articles. Here's one from MHC: https://www.mhc.ie/latest/insights/capping-damages-in-personal-injuries-actions-a-summary-of-the-law-reform-commissions-proposals

lawgrad49 wrote: »

i have kearney -v- mcquillan (doctor performed unnecessary operation - symphysiotomy) where on appeal the SC reduced her damages on the basis that while her injuries were severe they could not be considered as serious as someone who had suffered catastrophic injuries such as paralysis. They reduced from €450K to €325K

shortt v commissioner of an garda siochana 2007 RE exemplary damages

philip v ryan RE aggravated - doctor altered his notes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

vid36 wrote: »
    It should have been sent weeks ago. You also need it for the PPC1 or Hybrid application.Email the Law Society after this week.

Thanks for the reply, I emailed them at least 3 times now about it. Did you get yours?

I spoke to them last week on the phone and they tried to pass off not issuing letters as legitimate, they said we never told you that you would receive a letter. I feel like they are being really unfair, it's not much to ask to get a letter confirming I passed since I spent 2 years of my life studying for these exams. It's unreal how they treat fe1 candidates given that they are a professional body. I'm really going to look into complaining about them...... 3 months like come on get it together!!

user115 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I emailed them at least 3 times now about it. Did you get yours?

I spoke to them last week on the phone and they tried to pass off not issuing letters as legitimate, they said we never told you that you would receive a letter. I feel like they are being really unfair, it's not much to ask to get a letter confirming I passed since I spent 2 years of my life studying for these exams. It's unreal how they treat fe1 candidates given that they are a professional body. I'm really going to look into complaining about them...... 3 months like come on get it together!!

Madness. You need to send them that letter with your Blackhall application so don't know how they are telling you that

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lawgrad101

I’d be grateful if someone could clarify the tests regarding Vicarious Liability. Are the course of employment test and the close connection test essentially the same thing? More broad than the scope of employment test which only covers express/implied delegated authority of the employee. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

EU Quick question
    FMOW - the case of Hoekstra. I have in my notes that the term "worker" has a specfic definition in EU law to ensure uniformity in EU law.
    BUT there is no definition of a worker in EU law ?? Can anyone clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

What essays are people predicting to come up on the Tort paper???

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

Hoekstra raised the question as to whether the definition of a worker was Supanational, which they said it was as if the definition was up to MS it would undermine uniformity.

Worker is not defined in the treaties, the definition is just taken from Case Law. I think the Lawrie Blaum case gives somewhat of a def also.

What essays are people predicting to come up on the Tort paper???

Looks like Damages is due and usually comes up as an essay. Would love a development of DOC essay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

In regards to nervous shock would you need to establish a duty of care was owed to the individual in question? Just because nervous shock is born out of duty of care or do you look as it as unrelated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Thanks , much appreciated! So basically, Hoekstra held that uniformity would be undermined if each MS applied thier own definition for the term "worker" ?

• Advertisement

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Looks like Damages is due and usually comes up as an essay. Would love a development of DOC essay too.

I’m also thinking limitations ! Hasn’t come up in three sittings. Damages was on the paper in March 2019

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement