Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

L.E.D wrote: »
    Just spoke to the fe1 section, we can submit the form to request carrying the previous passes by soft copy 😊 easier !!

Just email them so? And what should I say generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Just email them so? And what should I say generally?

I'm not sure what exactly to say, I will be saying about the decision to abolish the rule happening before October sitting, I had a 2 month old baby at the time so would've been handy to know at the time! Lol

Emailing the form is fine

I'm not sure what exactly to say, I will be saying about the decision to abolish the rule happening before October sitting, I had a 2 month old baby at the time so would've been handy to know at the time! Lol

Emailing the form is fine

Is the form online or do you ask for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Where does it show these? Mine now only says the date for recheck results.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/login?ReturnUrl=%2fPublic%2fBecome-a-Solicitor%2fFE-1-Exam%2fFE1-Results%2f

Is the form online or do you ask for it?

They emailed me the form, it was attached to the bottom

They emailed me the form, it was attached to the bottom

Just emailed them! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Just a quick update for those who signed the petition: I have paused this for the time being, given that the Law Society provided the update yesterday evening, roughly an hour after the petition was created!

I trust we're all happy to hold off until we see what the outcome of the process is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

Regarding exam grids, would anybody be willing to compare on Tort and Criminal. In tort, I have an exam grid from two of the leading exam prep courses and the mistakes and difference is outstanding.

It is easy enough to spot the defamation, products liability,, blatant essay questions on a topic (of which are omitted from some exam grids), but it is the negligence and other problem question (eg nuisance & rylands) is where I'm strugging to see what exactly the examiner wants. Friel's reports are also more than useless.

Anybody willing to compare, or even notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

What’s the consensus on leaving out competition for EU? Looking at having:

Institutions
    JR
    Direct/Indirect Effect
    MSL
    Fundamental Rights
    Citizenship
    Equality
    Free movement (goods, services, workers)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

What’s the consensus on leaving out competition for EU? Looking at having:

Institutions
    JR
    Direct/Indirect Effect
    MSL
    Fundamental Rights
    Citizenship
    Equality
    Free movement (goods, services, workers)

Going to leave it out but covering everything else in the manual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Hey guys, would anyone have any notes or a grid for company by any chance? I don't have any materials and can't afford a course unfortunately. Can swap for loads of different things. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neamhsplach

@lawboy Pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JimmyJazzz

Lcork23 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Can anyone send me a property exam grid? Thanks in advance!

I can send you the grid if you haven't already gotten one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

Looking for tort grid? and papers please can swap for contract or equity. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Anyone have any predictions for equity, also anyone have a grid I have notes to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JimmyJazzz

channing90 wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions for equity, also anyone have a grid I have notes to swap.

Can't help re. predictions but you can have the grid. No swap necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Hey guys I'm wondering what came up on Company last time around i.e. October 19? I can send along notes in any subject in return. :cool:

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    Going to leave it out but covering everything else in the manual

It literally comes up every year without fail (101/102 or mergers), it's like leaving succession out of Property Law.

I honestly don't see why anyone would skip it - yeah it's not super easy but it's a far more efficient use of your time to learn it and then you have 1/8 in the bag as opposed to having only 7 questions left to answer, one of which is case notes which isnt ever the handiest q - so now you're at 1/6... it's certainly easier to learn it in detail than learn every other topic combined! My two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Anyone else not able to access their recheck results on the site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

It literally comes up every year without fail (101/102 or mergers), it's like leaving succession out of Property Law.

I honestly don't see why anyone would skip it - yeah it's not super easy but it's a far more efficient use of your time to learn it and then you have 1/8 in the bag as opposed to having only 7 questions left to answer, one of which is case notes which isnt ever the handiest q - so now you're at 1/6... it's certainly easier to learn it in detail than learn every other topic combined! My two cents

Tactically, as EU Competition Law is such a massive topic that usually only appears in one question in the exam (also the case note question, will get to that point below), leaving it out is not such a terrible idea.

Instead, without the pressure of covering such a massive topic, you could cover nearly every other topic on the EU syllabus and be able to answer 6/7 from 8 in an exam.

I would however highly recommend covering the key two or three cases in EU Competition Law that regularly appear in the case note question (Microsoft, etc) - that way you can cover yourself for the case note question, and if need be, attempt the competition law question based off these key cases if stuck in the exam on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawLover2020

I still haven't heard back from the Law Society about this. Emailed at the beginning of the week. Didn't think there would be too much ambiguity with this. It seems pretty clear-cut that a candidate now has seven years to pass all eight, even if that candidate started their FE1's in 2018/2017 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

EQUITY

Are ppl covering interlocutory injunctions? It appears to have only come up twice in the last 10+ papaers

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

Does anyone have grids for any subjects that they are willing to share please?

Finding it so difficult to find any information or notes for these exams, I wish you could buy upto date notes from city colleges/griffith etc without having to pay for the full course. Such a barrier to entry for people.

Louis Litt wrote: »
    EQUITY

Are ppl covering interlocutory injunctions? It appears to have only come up twice in the last 10+ papaers

Equity is a balls trying to cut stuff, interlocutory injunctions is a easy topic so said I’d cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LawStudent96

Would anyone have a recent Tort grid they could send me please? Can swap for others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Booker4

Does anyone have any tips for the cases in the Constitutional paper? How to narrow it down or decided which cases might come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Booker4 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for the cases in the Constitutional paper? How to narrow it down or decided which cases might come up?

Recommendation is not to do the case question for EU or Constitutional as far as I know - they require too much detail and there's a v broad range of cases they can ask you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

JimmyJazzz wrote: »
    I can send you the grid if you haven't already gotten one?
    Thanks Jimmy for your help but I have just gotten one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

Hi

Could anyone please send me a tort grid???
    Can swap it for equity and contract thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

What are the main topics for constitutional please

• Advertisement

jewels652 wrote: »
    What are the main topics for constitutional please

The fe1 post the syllabus if that's what you mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawLover2020

Igobuy I can send you a tort grid if you PM me your email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

The fe1 post the syllabus if that's what you mean :)

Haha no I just want to narrow it down so I want to know what should I cover and what is safe to leave out.
    What came up for the last sitting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

jewels652 wrote: »
    Haha no I just want to narrow it down so I want to know what should I cover and what is safe to leave out.
    What came up for the last sitting ?

To be honest there is very little you can leave out for constitutional. The examiner often mixes issues from different topics so it's not like property for example in the sense that you could leave out a topic which is not of interest to you or that you found difficult. In my view, it's better to have a broad knowledge of the syllabus rather than leave chapters out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Read over the examiner's report for March 2019 and I'm feeling pretty scared about Company now. That 58% pass rate and the fact that you seemingly have to cite about twenty sections of the Act in each question has me panicking - any reassurance would be very much appreciated!!

Read over the examiner's report for March 2019 and I'm feeling pretty scared about Company now. That 58% pass rate and the fact that you seemingly have to cite about twenty sections of the Act in each question has me panicking - any reassurance would be very much appreciated!!

You’ll have the companies act in the exam with you with tabs for all the sections you don’t have to remember every part of it. I did company twice and passed it both times, I’d concentrate on getting the topics covered cause it’s quiet big, don’t worry about the Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neamhsplach

Looking for up to date sample answers and exam papers for criminal and contract - I have plenty of material and grids for all of the subjects to swap!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoaoaoao2019

Hi all. Does anyone have Equity sample answers? I can swap for other subjects. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Hey everyone, I've decided to just pull the trigger on doing a course for EU. Haven't done any of the courses before so if anyone who has could tell me which they found to be the best or maybe even what courses to avoid, I'd really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoaoaoao2019

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I've decided to just pull the trigger on doing a course for EU. Haven't done any of the courses before so if anyone who has could tell me which they found to be the best or maybe even what courses to avoid, I'd really appreciate it!

I would avoid Griffith, speaking from personal experience the lectures weren't very helpful and the manual covered a lot of unnecessary ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 shambles2020

Hello, does anyonehave any sample answers for property, contract, criminal and equity? I have notes and grids to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Question about the application form -

For the section on the preliminary exam, it asks for the date you passed or were granted an exemption.

Presumably my exemption is having a university degree? Not sure what the exact date would be, would the year be fine? I don't remember this section from having filled out the form for the previous sitting.

Question about the Companies Act -

Can this be bought in the likes of Easons?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

For the section on the preliminary exam, it asks for the date you passed or were granted an exemption.

Presumably my exemption is having a university degree? Not sure what the exact date would be, would the year be fine? I don't remember this section from having filled out the form for the previous sitting.

Pretty sure this is different to your university degree and should be left blank unless you have sat a preliminary exam.

Companies act for sale dm me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maewest19

Hey, does anyone have an up to date torts grid and exam questions they would be willing to swap for company and criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

Hey, does anybody have an exam grid for contract? I have exam grids and other materials from other modules I can swap

Just write N/A for Preliminary exam date and fill in the uni section as normal. The best place to buy the Companies Act first hand is to ring the Office of Public Works they sell copies of irish legislation and they'll courier it to your house. Or grab an unmarked second hand copy.

Hey,

Would anyone be able to tell me where I can get the unmarked copies of legislation? Preferably new.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Hi, does anyone have the exam papers for October 19 in Criminal, Property, Contract and Equity???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

I would avoid Griffith, speaking from personal experience the lectures weren't very helpful and the manual covered a lot of unnecessary ground

Good to know. Even looking at their course details, it didn’t look great compared to the others, especially when you consider what you’re paying. Probably going to go for city colleges, the material I’ve used from them in the past has always been good and to the point.

Anyone who can share their experience of city colleges or independent colleges courses, would be very welcome!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement