Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Well it can't be the same paper, they all have it already

Same paper but with different names in the problem questions lol

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

vid36 wrote: »
    Only until September 13 if numbers falls and they are not going to fall with one million children heading back to overcrowded, poorly ventilated rooms in the next few weeks.

That’s true! Would just be great if people started listening rather than think they’re invincible! We’d all be fine then. Another 190 cases today is a joke like! Things like that bar in Dublin the weekend, the party in Kilkee, and the party below in West Cork is just reckless!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LawCandidate

How will an online exam work? Just have the notes in front of you like? Surely it's an unfair advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

dobby896 wrote: »
    Same paper but with different names in the problem questions lol

They can't do that. Literally may aswell just pass them because they live in one of those three counties then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

vid36 wrote: »
    Only until September 13 if numbers falls and they are not going to fall with one million children heading back to overcrowded, poorly ventilated rooms in the next few weeks.

Hopefully common sense will prevail when the government finally realises we have next to zero deaths nearly every day for the past few weeks and focus on a strategy that's sustainable in the long-run rather than heavy-handed and draconian restrictions that might end up doing more damage with the thousands of businesses being crushed and a substantial portion of the working population losing their jobs and livelihoods.

They can't do that. Literally may aswell just pass them because they live in one of those three counties then.

It's a joke. Nobody thinks they're doing the same paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

That’s only until September 13th though!

Surely they'll have to put them online as a precaution?

How will an online exam work? Just have the notes in front of you like? Surely it's an unfair advantage?

Remote invigilation- worked well for the accounting exams apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

What does this “remote invigilation” involve?

• Advertisement

steveeq wrote: »
    What does this “remote invigilation” involve?

You're essentially "locked in to the exam" on your computer, webcam and mic on and an invigaltor per "room" who watches candidates etc

Knew a particularly clever bloke who once managed to get around this. Something to do with an ear-piece and morse code.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Knew a particularly clever bloke who once managed to get around this. Something to do with an ear-piece and morse code.

A person with that much initiative deserves to pass anyway haha

You're essentially "locked in to the exam" on your computer, webcam and mic on and an invigaltor per "room" who watches candidates etc

That sounds so creepy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Hopefully common sense will prevail when the government finally realises we have next to zero deaths nearly every day for the past few weeks and focus on a strategy that's sustainable in the long-run rather than heavy-handed and draconian restrictions that might end up doing more damage with the thousands of businesses being crushed and a substantial portion of the working population losing their jobs and livelihoods.

To be fair though this thing takes about 4 weeks to kill people. So, based on our previous case to deaths ratio, 9/10 of the 190 people who are positive today, will be dead by the end of next month, so zero deaths today doesn't really matter.

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    To be fair though this thing takes about 4 weeks to kill people. So, based on our previous case to deaths ratio, 9/10 of the 190 people who are positive today, will be dead by the end of next month, so zero deaths today doesn't really matter.

Well this is exceedingly bleak.

Happy Tuesday all.

• Advertisement

Aoibhin511 wrote: »

If this was the case, then we could expect to see a marginal tick or increase in hospitalisation rates coinciding with the increase of cases in the last 4 weeks or so. Deaths are a lagging indicator, but hospitalisation even less so.

We've seen the exact opposite actually. Less than 20 in acute situations at hospitals, a whole 7 people in the entire country with suspected covid in the ICU. The number has been going down if anything. You'll notice that our genius public health officials decline to mention this figure of course. It's much harder to frighten people when you mention that the vast majority of positive covid cases are completely asymptomatic.

Adding to this, the new restrictions are confusing and have managed to confuse everyone including our Taoiseach. Compliance will inevitably be low and I expect a lot of people to just ignore them.

Goer4454 wrote: »
    I think people are also forgetting that just because we’re spaced with masks on does not mean the virus is not airborne or able to travel as studies have shown. Unless people are masked, gloved and goggled, it’s not safe. I think it was reckless of the law society allowing them to go ahead. There were people who had traveled from the midlands also there , no doubt about it. Reckless, reckless, reckless and I feel worse for attending.

Many people, particularly a lot of girls, were not wearing masks while standing right next to others looking at notes. It is reckless and they are quite clearly poorly prepared. They barely answer the phone or respond to emails anyway, god help us if they do have to organise this going online or not because they'll struggle regardless.

By the way, this might be a silly question but what happens if you need to go to the toilet at home during remote invigilation? I mean, you gotta go you gotta go. But sure you could easily have your notes dead in front of you, or in another room while you "pop to the toilet"

Many people, particularly a lot of girls, were not wearing masks while standing right next to others looking at notes. It is reckless and they are quite clearly poorly prepared. They barely answer the phone or respond to emails anyway, god help us if they do have to organise this going online or not because they'll struggle regardless.

By the way, this might be a silly question but what happens if you need to go to the toilet at home during remote invigilation? I mean, you gotta go you gotta go. But sure you could easily have your notes dead in front of you, or in another room while you "pop to the toilet"

You gotta bring the carton inside the room with you. Do the thing right then and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Soo I know from the tax exams this was very possible...

I sat the exam in Cork and there was no regulation of masks.. multiple people went into the exam hall with them on and then sat the exam with them around their chin. I know some people may be exempt from wearing them but as they had them around their chin I doubt they were in this category of people. Very frustrating to be worrying about this when also in the stressful environment of an exam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

Interesting! I am currently conjuring up ideas which range from buying a laptop with no webcam, or having my notes on a wall like some sort of American detective show!

Live look at my study room behind the laptop.

https://imgur.com/a/QvmY1ND

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LawNotes123

Wondering does anyone have up to date Exam Grids for Equity/Property?

I have Tort and some others to swap, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

Does anyone please have a contract or company grid?

Wondering does anyone have up to date Exam Grids for Equity/Property?

I have Tort and some others to swap, Thanks.

I have one from October 2019 of you wanna dm me email I can forward it, have you got criminal?

Any advice for company?
    first time studying it and v overwhelmed!

Any advice for company?
    first time studying it and v overwhelmed!

Do you have an exam grid

Are we allowed to publicly post exam grids? If we are I could just post all of them now - I have no issues doing it - and it would save about a million people asking for them on this thread.

Do you have an exam grid

I haven’t managed to get my hands on one yet! It would be really appreciated!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Are we allowed to publicly post exam grids? If we are I could just post all of them now - I have no issues doing it - and it would save about a million people asking for them on this thread.

I don't know of any reason why not and it would indeed be of benefit.

• Advertisement

Anybody successfully emailed the LS confirming they wish to sit the online sittings next week? The email address they provided does not work.

I haven’t managed to get my hands on one yet! It would be really appreciated!

Looking for one myself!

Hi everyone. As someone bright suggested I decided to post Property and Contract grids here :)

EDIT: Please see Links below where people don't have to request to view

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Anybody successfully emailed the LS confirming they wish to sit the online sittings next week? The email address they provided does not work.
    I sent a mail but the inbox couldn't be found!

I also wrote the same email to the FE1 section inbox explaining that the new one they provided didn't seem to be working.
    Have yet to get a response...

Company grids: https://imgur.com/1Skg0Nw

Are people able to read the grids I posted? I'm getting a lot of emails of "requests to view", I thought I had it set to just show up to whoever clicked the link

I believe I made a mistake with the first links. I've updated it to anyone with the link can view.

Property grid: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dnz2kHXSp2pyuaAfGWXd7tb0k-V-bBtx/view?usp=sharing

Contract grid: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v-jxt_9OjGvcmGG1xmoqQc5Yw_HMqR47/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Hey does anyone have sample answers for equity/property/contract? I’ve all sample answers for EU and tort would be happy to swap

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Would anybody be able to tell me the best topics to cover (thoroughly) for contract/property on experience or what they plan? I know all need to be done but some must be worth "skimming" over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Does anybody happen to have the March 2020 papers that they could possibly upload? The LS still haven't gotten around to it, shockingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Would anyone be able to send me an updated constitutional grid please and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Goer4454 wrote: »
    Can I ask what the invite stated? Law society are giving nothing away. I fully appreciate it was horrible not to be able to travel to the exam but I think it’s a really unfair advantage getting to sit it online

How is it an advantage ?
    Typing speed might be an issue for some etc

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Well maybe we had an advantage by not being physically restricted from sitting the exam ! Best of luck to everyone sitting the exam next week.

Sour enough wanting an exam to be marked harder for people who are obviously in a very difficult position. Says a lot about how you got on in the exam.

Wow, the level of begrudgery is quite sad to see. Let's not perpetuate lawyer stereotypes.

Best of luck to all next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Has the application form for October gone up yet?

It was also unfair to those who studied for weeks to have them cancelled at the last moment, left in the dark for over a week and now told we have about a week to study for back-to-back exams. The whole situation isn't ideal for anyone. If I was asked at the time to sit it when I was prepared or go through the shambles of the past week I would have picked the former, think before you go typing nonsense on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

The average typing speed is obviously faster than the average handwriting speed. I hope the typed exam will be marked harder. It only seems fair.

That’s questionable !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FE1NOS

Thanks for that. Very good of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

1. Having experience from sitting exams online, you can't cheat in an online exam anymore than you can sitting it in person. Invigilator will have you pan the room and your desk with the camera. Your phone will be close by but not in reach. They will also be able to see you and every move you make on your laptop. So get dressed, don't sing or talk and definitely don't pick your nose. Someone is watching you. Same exam conditions as if you were in an exam hall. Can't even talk to yourself. If you have any pages open you'll be asked to close them. If you make any attempt to open any files or pages during your exam, law notes or not, you'll be asked to stop. They can see a mirror image of your computer screen. You cannot open anything other than the exam page.
    2. I type fast so this would be an advantage for me but for many people it's not. They type slower than they write. So hopefully the online exam gives a little extra time.
    3. More comfortable than stuck in a mask but you might have trouble sitting the exam if you can't find a quiet room with enough lighting to take a clear picture of your face and ID at the initial process. So, online has its own setbacks.
    4. Don't bash the LS. Perhaps they have offered some people to do it online because this is their last exam which had covid not occurred would have been sat from March. Maybe the LS wanted to give those students an opportunity to start their traineeship next month. Imagine your last exam being postponed, and then you couldn't attend the rescheduled sitting because your area was put on lockdown.
    5. Hopefully these students will get to sit their exams without a hitch and LS will also allow the October Sitting to go online.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement