Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork losing Santander route?

Options
  • 27-01-2020 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Lots of rumours tonight that Brittany Ferries are moving the route to UK owned Rosslare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Lots of rumours tonight that Brittany Ferries are moving the route to UK owned Rosslare.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ger-carthy-d%C3%A1il-2020/new-operator-for-rosslare-europort/576100869783773/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That’s a pity. Another rumour is that Cork to Vigo could be starting around Easter so hopefully all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

That’s a pity. Another rumour is that Cork to Vigo could be starting around Easter so hopefully all is not lost.

Cork to Vigo was announced but I think it's more of a freight service. I'd have been surprised by Brittany ferries going to rosslare but the more I think about it the more it makes sense for Brittany ferries. What have cork been offering to keep these services with plenty of government officials close enough to the area .?

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Cork to Vigo was announced but I think it's more of a freight service. I'd have been surprised by Brittany ferries going to rosslare but the more I think about it the more it makes sense for Brittany ferries. What have cork been offering to keep these services with plenty of government officials close enough to the area .?

A few of the Spanish articles were mentioning that they will take foot passengers which wasn't available on the Santander crossing so that would be a plus straight away. Although it's all very quiet at the moment.

Wasn't there uproar last year or was it 2018 when Rosslare lost a connection. As you say they are probably offering BF a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

A few of the Spanish articles were mentioning that they will take foot passengers which wasn't available on the Santander crossing so that would be a plus straight away. Although it's all very quiet at the moment.

Wasn't there uproar last year or was it 2018 when Rosslare lost a connection. As you say they are probably offering BF a great deal.

I heard this from someone fairly high up in the marine industry so there must at least be talks going on.

Appears to be related to a much better deal offered now that europort rosslare is UK owned, so whether its a Brexit thing. the current ferry 'connemara' is only on loan at the moment, so every possibility a new ship will be used which could take foot passengers.

I didn't use the Santander route personally although the ship did service Roscoff on a Tuesday and that was useful for extending the France driving holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I heard this from someone fairly high up in the marine industry so there must at least be talks going on.

Appears to be related to a much better deal offered now that europort rosslare is UK owned, so whether its a Brexit thing. the current ferry 'connemara' is only on loan at the moment, so every possibility a new ship will be used which could take foot passengers.

I didn't use the Santander route personally although the ship did service Roscoff on a Tuesday and that was useful for extending the France driving holiday

What do you mean Rosslare is 'now UK owned'?
    It's not, it's still operated by Irish Rail.
    The ownership of the port is complicated going back over 100 years but the UK government has never staked a claim on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ludo wrote: »

More Irish Rail's excuse to do nothing.
    Dysfunctional organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

CorkBeo understands that the end of the trial period has led the ferry company to look closely at moving the service to Rosslare and contingency plans to relocate have been made ahead of a final decision.

However, those already booked to travel from Ringaskiddy to Santander this year should not be affected by the move, which may not happen until early 2021.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-santander-ferry-route-move-17642356

satanta99 wrote: »
    CorkBeo understands that the end of the trial period has led the ferry company to look closely at moving the service to Rosslare and contingency plans to relocate have been made ahead of a final decision.

However, those already booked to travel from Ringaskiddy to Santander this year should not be affected by the move, which may not happen until early 2021.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-santander-ferry-route-move-17642356

Thanks, it's a shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Dear Cork Beo, no doubt the information in your article was sourced here.
    Your article is actually incorrect as the ship currently operating the route is the MV Kerry and has been for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I gather the MV Kerry came to serve on Cork to Santander route since November 2019 until November 2020.

Previous to this it had been the vessel, Connemara.

Source: Afloat
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/43482-brittany-ferries-names-new-ships-and-promises-significant-co2-savings-from-fleet-renewal-plans

kub wrote: »
    Dear Cork Beo, no doubt the information in your article was sourced here.
    Your article is actually incorrect as the ship currently operating the route is the MV Kerry and has been for the last few months.

I suspect the route will change though, cousin has been asked if he's willing to relocate

I suspect the route will change though, cousin has been asked if he's willing to relocate

To Rosslare ?

To Rosslare ?

Yep, now he hasn't been told route or anything but the nature of the job means he sleeps on the ship a lot anyway

The company that is going to operate the service to Vigo must be delighted with these rumours.
    Obviously BF are looking at taking business from Dublin and no doubt Rosslare has under cut Cork Harbour Commissioners to win over this service.
    I cannot help but think it must be a slightly longer journey.
    Also I have noticed quite a lot of Spanish artics use this service and head on down to Castletownbere, a longer journey from Rosslare, so at least they have the Vigo option now as well.

Shame the politicians in Cork are just not very good for the area compared with those in Rosslare.

The company that is going to operate the service to Vigo must be delighted with these rumours.
    Obviously BF are looking at taking business from Dublin and no doubt Rosslare has under cut Cork Harbour Commissioners to win over this service.
    I cannot help but think it must be a slightly longer journey.
    Also I have noticed quite a lot of Spanish artics use this service and head on down to Castletownbere, a longer journey from Rosslare, so at least they have the Vigo option now as well.

Shame the politicians in Cork are just not very good for the area compared with those in Rosslare.

Last time I read anything about this was probably around Oct/Nov and nothing seems to have been confirmed by the ports or apparent carriers mentioned in the article. It seems odd that nothing official has been confirmed by anyone on the Irish side which seems strange if there is meant to be an Irish port connection!

I would agree that the local politicians in Cork could do a lot more than just pay lip service where tourism and investment in infrastructure is concerned. Cork City also needs to do better as it does not seem to be doing enough to promote tourism apart from rely on the English market especially since Queen Elizabeth II visited some years ago. Our existing ferry/flight routes should not be taken for granted until it is too late when a carrier decides to axe a service in situations like if an alternative port can offer a carrier better incentives & infrastructure if they switch!

Deliver the long awaited Conference/Event Centre, more hotels, more B+B & more tourist/backpacker hostel options to entice visitors into our city centre. I gather Grand Parade is one proposed location but we need a lot more. Galway City Centre alone has about 10 tourist hostels (some of which are quite large hostels) and it's a much smaller city than Cork! Cork also needs to have a new aggressive marketing pitch to attract & maintain another Cork to USA direct services which may require the short runway at Cork International Airport to be extended.

Can you confirm which company will be operating this proposed to service to Vigo and from where will it be departing? Any new/reliable sources for this Vigo service that is said to include Ireland would be welcome...

Can you confirm which company will be operating this proposed to service to Vigo and from where will it be departing? Any new/reliable sources for this Vigo service that is said to include Ireland would be welcome...

A few companies involved but the main two are Grimaldi and GNV. Grimaldi currently have a relationship with Cork as they operate those wierd shape car transporter ferries.

A few companies involved but the main two are Grimaldi and GNV. Grimaldi currently have a relationship with Cork as they operate those wierd shape car transporter ferries.

I can recall viewing those car transporters in Cork over the years.

According to a reliable contributor (not referring to myself!) via the Irish Ferries enthusiasts online forum last October said that he understood that someone by the name of "Grimaldi" had been involved although; it is apparently NOT the same as "Grimaldi Lines" nor "GNV". In fact, "Grimaldi Lines" when asked about such a venture had not only denied any involvement but had never heard of the project beforehand at that time. The people behind the project themselves indicated that GNV also had no involvement.

I'm not aware of any further developments on this project since the initial online speculation last September/October.

Source:
    https://www.irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com/forum/the-news-board/grimaldi-to-start-irl-uk-spain/15/

From Spanish paper.

Stopping on 28 February due to ongoing issue with stowaways.

https://twitter.com/dmontanes/status/1222482657889734656?s=21

• Advertisement

From Spanish paper.

Interesting to view the source you supplied.

I think I will wait to read formal official announcements from the Port of Cork and Brittany Ferries regarding this report.

I am more concerned about the effect of the N25 New Ross bypass opening featuring Ireland's longest bridge which is expected to cut up to 30 minutes off peak journey times on the N25 between Cork and Rosslare. This could be a game changer for Rosslare Europort and damage ferry services departing Cork to France/Spain in the coming years.

I am old enough to remember hearing that Dublin port would never have direct ferry routes to France & the continent as it would be a longer crossing as opposed to services better suited ex-Cork and ex-Rosslare to the continent. Irish Ferries already axed all of it's Rosslare/France services and I wonder if Cork will be a casualty of closer commute times to Rosslare following this major infrastructure. The improvements on the Dublin Cork motorway essentially resulted in the axing of all Dublin Cork direct flights as they do not qualify for PSO funding status unlike Dublin Kerry flights.

Source courtesy: RTÉ.ie
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0129/1111647-n25-bypass/

From Spanish paper.

Because it doesn't take foot passengers, there has been an awul lot of issues with people travelling inside campers and lorries. Could be that the spanish authorities have given them a hard time, maybe Rosslare have more staff to check.

Because it doesn't take foot passengers, there has been an awul lot of issues with people travelling inside campers and lorries. Could be that the spanish authorities have given them a hard time, maybe Rosslare have more staff to check.

I wonder is customs or Gardai behind this as they have more regular ferries coming in to Rosslare compared with Ringaskiddy and therefore have more and experienced staff in Rosslare?

From Spanish paper.

Bookings for Cork to Santander on the Brittany Ferries website are still showing availability into the summer period. Not sure what to make of the report but it would seem strange if bookings are still being accepted.

I wonder is customs or Gardai behind this as they have more regular ferries coming in to Rosslare compared with Ringaskiddy and therefore have more and experienced staff in Rosslare?

I think port authorities at the Port of Cork in Ringaskiddy and it's other facilities like Cobh Cruise Terminal would be subject to the exact same requirements as staff at Rosslare Europort. Are people suggesting staff in Rosslare are more professional than staff based in Cork? Surely they must abide by same rules? Cork would have a very long history and excellent record in dealing with ferry/freight traffic over the years along with Rosslare & Dublin and Dún Laoghaire in previous years.

Most times I've heard about stowaways arriving at Irish ports, I think they ended up coming into Rosslare!

See news reports of different situations below here:

https://news.sky.com/story/16-people-discovered-in-trailer-on-cherbourg-rosslare-ferry-11866381

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40677155

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/59-asylum-seekers-arrive-in-rosslare-from-cherbourg-1.230231

Cork Santander cancelled from February 28th

Replaced by Rosslare to Bilbao

Midweek Cork Roscoff also moving.

No changes to the Pont Aven crossings at the weekend over the summer

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Major-Cork-ferry-route-cancelled-4055dc59-d23f-404a-bc04-3cc3ab6f0f0b-ds

Cork Santander cancelled from February 28th

Replaced by Rosslare to Bilbao

Midweek Cork Roscoff also moving.

No changes to the Pont Aven crossings at the weekend over the summer

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Major-Cork-ferry-route-cancelled-4055dc59-d23f-404a-bc04-3cc3ab6f0f0b-ds

No changes to the Pont Aven, just yet I reckon.

No changes to the Pont Aven, just yet I reckon.

I dunno, they have been on that route for nearly 40 years and it is mainly tourist traffic.

I dunno, they have been on that route for nearly 40 years and it is mainly tourist traffic.

This is true although; using various ships from the Brittany Ferries fleet over the years. Hopefully the tourist traffic continues to grow as big corporate firms tend to get worried if there are any signs of a continuous decline pattern in the time ahead. BF will probably get a better idea of growth potential with it's new mid-week Rosslare to Roscoff crossings following the changes announced today.

Remember when it's Irish rival, Irish Ferries first started the Dublin Cherbourg route by only using the mv Epsilon vessel it was primarily aimed at freight and this was later expanded. Today you have the flagship W.B.Yeats vessel during peak season which resulted in Irish Ferries axing their Ireland/France services from Rosslare altogether after many years in operation much to the shock of the south-east region.

I wonder if Irish Ferries made a strategic error by ending their Rosslare/France services - Brittany Ferries may believe they can fill a gap by switching it's Irish base to Rosslare and grow it further which has led to today's announcement which does not bode well for the Port of Cork in the long term.

In the peak season last year, you would have had X 4 departures from Cork and X 4 arrivals into Cork by Brittany Ferries. Next season you will only have one weekly service to/from Cork and Roscoff whereas; Rosslare will have the other X 3 arrivals & 3 departures with Brittany Ferries.

It will also be interesting to see how the other ferry operators react?

Irish Ferries and Stena Line still run other car/passenger ferry services at Rosslare so I wonder if either of them introduce any changes in their operations going forward following Brittany Ferries major announcement today.

• Advertisement

Advertisement