Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

floor Boards

• 27-01-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just got the keys to our first home today. Very happy.

I ripped up the carpet (no underlay) that has been there since the house was built in 2006 (Semi-D 4 bed) and I found this under it.

The floor is quite uneven and I can only assume that the concrete was used to even out the floor boards.

Any suggestions what the easiest way to tackle the floor before I lay laminate?

There is a rake of Tacks knocked into the floor that was holding the carpet in place. I have to remove these before anything else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Looks like you’ll need to remove the old laminate and all the old floor leveler they used and pour new floor level onto it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pretty lazy looking fix.

But you don't know what under that again....

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Looks like you’ll need to remove the old laminate and all the old floor leveler they used and pour new floor level onto it

Thanks Nigzcurran. Its a bedroom upstairs, timber framed house. I am thinking that I need to remove boards and lay bigger sections that match in thickness. Its weird that the one half of the room is chipboard and the other is different.

Ill see whats underneath and check out pouring floor level.

Ill go and rip up the carpet in the adjacent room and see whats under it. Back in about 30 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Thanks Nigzcurran. Its a bedroom upstairs, timber framed house. I am thinking that I need to remove boards and lay bigger sections that match in thickness. Its weird that the one half of the room is chipboard and the other is different.

Ah ok ignore the floor level stuff so, timber floor will be a lot easier to fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Pull all the boards up and start form scratch, I’d leave the carpet off it for as long as possible, You’ll find all the squeak bits and can put more screws in, don’t skimp on the screws,

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's OSB (the part with the hoover on it in one of the pics), not chipboard. That's the stuff your floorboards should be. No idea what the other stuff is.

Whoever put down that floor is a lazy chancer. Rip it all up.

awec wrote: »
    That's OSB (the part with the hoover on it in one of the pics), not chipboard. That's the stuff your floorboards should be. No idea what the other stuff is.

Whoever put down that floor is a lazy chancer. Rip it all up.

That’s good to know thanks. I just did the second bedroom and it’s all OSB thankfully. Each board is not perfectly levelled but I think with good underlay then laminate will do down easily.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just make sure it's all properly screwed down, this will minimize creaking. Don't think tiny defects in it being level will make much difference.

On a side note that's a very odd position for a window :D

Advertisement