Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Claire Byrne live - 7 leader debate, NUI Galway ...

Options
  • 27-01-2020 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭

Seven way leaders debate -
    Claire Byrne Live @9:35pm.
    From NUI Galway.

Self explanatory really, who came out well, who would you vote for on the strength of tonights performance?

Vote now in attached poll....

On the strength of tonights performance which leader will you vote for? 317 votes

Leo Varadkar (FG)
    61% 194 votes
    Michael Martin (FF)
    12% 40 votes
    Brendan Howlin (Lab)
    4% 13 votes
    Mary Lou McD (SF)
    1% 4 votes
    Eamon Ryan (GRN)
    16% 52 votes
    Richard Boyd (PBP)
    1% 5 votes
    Roisin Shorthall (SD)
    2% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wouldn’t rate any of them. But I hope the greens can get into government...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Michael Martin was good tonight.
    Mary Lou loud & lacking in economic detail.
    Leo sounded rather wooden & predictable.
    Richard Boyd was on top finger pointing form..

Others can comment on the others:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emerfan

Based purely on tonight's performance, Mary Lou was a clear winner - SF won't get my first preference, but I think she was excellent. MM not able for her.

You must have been' watching a different debate to me.
    Yes she's brash, assertive and very self confident, but she's seriously lacking in detail.

You must have been' watching a different debate to me.
    Yes she's brash, assertive and very self confident, but she's seriously lacking in detail.

In what way 'brash'? Concrete example please.

A manifesto is a place for detail, this is a seven way argument. You don't bring detail to a dog fight. She wiped the floor on every possible occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭basillarkin

mary lou way better than slick mick. RBB must have brought his extended family and friends with him

My God she's truly awful.

Her general tone of voice sounds brash to my ears. Good they had the 7 way debate as it really showed up the candidates strengths & weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

emerfan wrote: »
    Based purely on tonight's performance, Mary Lou was a clear winner - SF won't get my first preference, but I think she was excellent. MM not able for her.

Mary Lou was good for sound bites when criticising others, she didn’t have much to say regarding SF policies, and she had her ass handed to her regarding the state of NI and how SF increased the pension age up there.

I liked Brendan Howlin, he was very honest about having the one pot to increase spending and decrease taxes. A €5 a month in income tax cuts means sfa to most people and would be better spent on services.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Mary Lou was good for sound bites when criticising others, she didn’t have much to say regarding SF policies, and she had her ass handed to her regarding the state of NI and how SF increased the pension age up there.

I liked Brian Howlin, he was very honest about having the one pot to increase spending and decrease taxes. A €5 a month in income tax cuts means sfa to most people and would be better spent on services.

Yes I agree, that was the only time that I saw her obviously wrong footed though.

I like him too. There's no way on earth I'd like to see him running the country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Marylou came out the best despite Michael and Leo trying to bully her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

On the strength of that debate, I'd vote for PBP, but their candidate in my constituency is (deservedly) a no-hoper. If I lived in Dún Laoghaire, Richard Boyd-Barrett would be getting my number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,779 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leo is not a good debater

RBB did well imho

On the strength of that debate, I'd vote for PBP, but their candidate in my constituency is (deservedly) a no-hoper. If I lived in Dún Laoghaire, Richard Boyd-Barrett would be getting my number 1.

PBP would run every international and possibly Irish company out of the country with taxes.

PBP would run every international and possibly Irish company out of the country with taxes.

I often wonder where PBP think money comes from. Where precisely do they intend to generate income on our tiny island which relies so heavily on tourism and MNCs? Their policies are lovely in a magical fairytale land.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I often wonder where PBP think money comes from. Where precisely do they intend to generate income on our tiny island which relies so heavily on tourism and MNCs? Their policies are lovely in a magical fairytale land.

The people will rise up in glorious revolution and a dictatorship of the people will emerge. All industry and business will be nationalised. That’s what PBP actually believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

Yes I agree, that was the only time that I saw her obviously wrong footed though.

I like him too. There's no way on earth I'd like to see him running the country though.

Leo smashed her when she said the banks don't pay a penny, called her out and all she could do was repeat her misinformation, then Michael hit her with the pension age up north. I thought she was poor enough myself, loud but that's about it, not that any of the rest did that much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Which leader was this?
    450?cb=20190522212708

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but that's who he reminded me of.

Based on their manifesto, which of their tax policies would cause every company to leave the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

This is it wrote: »
    Leo smashed her when she said the banks don't pay a penny, called her out and all she could do was repeat her misinformation, then Michael hit her with the pension age up north. I thought she was poor enough myself, loud but that's about it, not that any of the rest did that much better.

She completely shrank on both those occasions.

Based on their manifesto, which of their tax policies would cause every company to leave the country?

Aren’t you the fella who refers to the Gardai as “the filth”? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Michael Martin is beyond unlikable.

Mary lou and RBB were by far the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

booooonzo wrote: »
    Michael Martin is beyond unlikable.

Mary lou and RBB were by far the best

Only if you are a believer in the magic beans economic policy

Aren’t you the fella who refers to the Gardai as “the filth”? :rolleyes:

Based on their manifesto, which of PBP's tax policies would cause every company to leave the country?

Based on their manifesto, which of PBP's tax policies would cause every company to leave the country?

Corporation tax, now crawl back under your rock. Someone who refers to the Gardai as ‘the filth’, is not someone who I wish to engage with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I didn't think ANY of them came across well. Same old jaded BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

In terms of smart alec comments and one liners Mary Lou came out on top.

One of the most famous political TV debate put downs was Lloyd Benstens reply to Dan Quayle in the1988 Vice Presidential debate.

Bentsen: “Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.”

Quayle and Bush went on to win convincingly.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    In terms of smart alec comments and one liners Mary Lou came out on top.

One of the most famous political TV debate put downs was Lloyd Benstens reply to Dan Quayle in the1988 Vice Presidential debate.

Bentsen: “Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.”

Quayle and Bush went on to win convincingly.

You can never legislate for ignorance.

Corporation tax, now crawl back under your rock. Someone who refers to the Gardai as they filth’, is not someone who I wish to engage with.

I once jokingly referred to them as 'the filth'. It was a Father Ted reference, Dougal. It's mad how humourless some people can be.

Do you think that making every company pay 12.5% (which is what PBP want) would make them all leave? Every single one of them? No more tax loopholes, no more companies? Is that honestly what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I’ll be voting Fianna Fáil as the best of the worst bunch.

Bertie's boys..... and short term memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hibble

Edgware wrote: »
    Only if you are a believer in the magic beans economic policy

I'm in the Midlands and would love to see even baked beans.
    Recovery my a#se.

Advertisement