Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Claire Byrne live - 7 leader debate, NUI Galway ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

*MARY LOU IN RUNAWAY LEAD - POLL .....

New Taoiseach 'Mary Lou if this is replicated on the 8th Feb :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emerfan

no.8 wrote: »
    Bertie's boys..... and short term memories

Yeah, not fooling anyone. You'd want to be either a dyed in the wool FF diehard supporter or too young to remember the crash to have the stomach to vote FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,353 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure how anyone could place trust in a leader who can’t be even arsed to dress appropriately on the stage. Barrett and his ilk have been giving the two fingers to “standards” years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

*MARY LOU IN RUNAWAY LEAD - POLL .....

New Taoiseach 'Mary Lou if this is replicated on the 8th Feb :eek:

Fortunately they never do nearly as well as the lolls suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

walshb wrote: »
    Not sure how anyone could place trust in a leader who can’t be even arsed to dress appropriately on the stage. Barrett and his ilk have been giving the two fingers to “standards” years now...

The lads who shafted this country through their policies and within the banks were all probably wearing expensive suits.

Clothes don't make the man,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Anyone that thinks Mary Lou "won" last night, a night where she confirmed that any decisions made by a SF govt would be green-lighted by an unelected Ard Coimhairle is off their heads.

Why would anyone want the country run by someone they had no hand in voting for??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

How do these boards polls usually fair out against the real thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Wouldn’t rate any of them. But I hope the greens can get into government...

So will you be voting green instead of your beloved FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

niallers1 wrote: »
    Marylou came out the best despite Michael and Leo trying to bully her.

Pointing out how her party has raised the pension age in the North while saying it's wrong an immoral to do down here is not bullying.

Pointing out that the SCC is a vital part of keeping dangerous people from murdering juries is not bullying either.

Pointing out that we have received more than 12.5% of profits from banks owned by the tax payer, while also proving Mary Lou wrong and a misery merchant is not bullying.

She was proven wrong time and time again throughout the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Why would anyone want the country run by someone they had no hand in voting for??

Senior civil servants run this country. Did you vote for any of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

didnt see it last night but SF well on their way to forming a government with others by the looks of this poll result.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Leo saying the average working salary is €47,000. Is this figure skewed? I make nowhere near that, my friends make nowhere near that, my parents make nowhere near. I'm fact, I don't know anyone who makes +- that for it to be the average salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

didnt see it last night but SF well on their way to forming a government with others by the looks of this poll result.

Wanna take a bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Leo saying the average working salary is €47,000. Is this figure skewed? I make nowhere near that, my friends make nowhere near that, my parents make nowhere near. I'm fact, I don't know anyone who makes +- that for it to be the average salary.

Apparently he confused AWS with Average household income.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hes never been in the same reality as most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Anyone that thinks Mary Lou "won" last night, a night where she confirmed that any decisions made by a SF govt would be green-lighted by an unelected Ard Coimhairle is off their heads.

Do you honestly think that other parties don't have the governance? The difference is that they were able to find them cushy government jobs.

In any case, the party ultimately answers to electorate and people can always show dissatisfaction with their next votes.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Pointing out how her party has raised the pension age in the North while saying it's wrong an immoral to do down here is not bullying.

Pointing out that the SCC is a vital part of keeping dangerous people from murdering juries is not bullying either.

Pointing out that we have received more than 12.5% of profits from banks owned by the tax payer, while also proving Mary Lou wrong and a misery merchant is not bullying.

She was proven wrong time and time again throughout the debate.

You can't constantly go back to arguments of North. Its separate country and it has different challenges. While we all would like to pretend they are not, they are... it's simple.

In terms of corporation tax, she was right. She never said they did not make any other payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Mary lou is very confident and carries herself well. But she talks an awful lot of populist bull. Misleading statements which was worrying. I wouldn't like a government run by someone with a record for misleading so obviously (and I know FG and FF are no saints in that department).
    Leo started poorly but pulled it together as things moved from the canned responses to off the cuff interactions.

Yeah, can't see that happening, but would be a huge change in the political landscape if they did get in to the government.

Leo started poorly but pulled it together as things moved from the canned responses to off the cuff interactions.

I was surprised that only once he went to "we had to sort out the mess you left" argument. However, I don't think he did enough.

I was hoping last night debate would give me more food for thought to finally help me decide who to vote for, I was disappointed overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Mary Lou is mostly bluster, I feel if you dig deep into what she is saying there is little substance. She came across strongly because Leo was quite meek, and Martin is wholly unimpressive.

I'd imagine RBB will have made a few fans for anyone sitting on the left side of the fence, as blustery as he was at times he made some very credible points.

In terms of the Greens, considering how much to the fore climate change is in the world right now, they have a completely lifeless leader to take advantage of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

GooglePlus wrote: »
    How do these boards polls usually fair out against the real thing?

A sample of 200 ish boards users is very unrepresentative.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Mary Lou is mostly bluster, I feel if you dig deep into what she is saying there is little substance. She came across strongly because Leo was quite meek, and Martin is wholly unimpressive.

I'd imagine RBB will have made a few fans for anyone sitting on the left side of the fence, as blustery as he was at times he made some very credible points.

In terms of the Greens, considering how much to the fore climate change is in the world right now, they have a completely lifeless leader to take advantage of that.

I think the Green leader came across as slightly deranged last night. It really was the worst performance of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I was surprised that only once he went to "we had to sort out the mess you left" argument. However, I don't think he did enough.

I was hoping last night debate would give me more food for thought to finally help me decide who to vote for, I was disappointed overall.
    With seven on stage that was entirely predictable. It's really more about them getting to pitch their wares!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Senior civil servants run this country. Did you vote for any of them?

The Senior Civil servants are the permanent "govt" but it is definitely the ministers in each department that are running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think the Green leader came across as slightly deranged last night. It really was the worst performance of them all.
    He's like that all the time, just we only see short snatches of him. Has become much more militant and uncompromising in recent years. He could be the new Minister of the Environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Little inspiring about Eamon Ryan of the greens. No evidence (and there's plenty!) cited as to why x environmental policy should be put in place and why. That would lend a lot more credibility to environmental policy in Ireland. He flounders on issues he shouldn't be discussing like rural car shares (this is something that could be considered so far down the line that the population distribution may have changed or technology will have developed, so not as important for immediate policy and definitely not somethingn to discuss). He needs to be replaced by someone with a strong understanding of science and the political economy of climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emerfan

McMurphy wrote: »
    The lads who shafted this country through their policies and within the banks were all probably wearing expensive suits.

Clothes don't make the man,

No, but ironing maketh a good impression when you're going on national television.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I once jokingly referred to them as 'the filth'. It was a Father Ted reference, Dougal. It's mad how humourless some people can be.

Do you think that making every company pay 12.5% (which is what PBP want) would make them all leave? Every single one of them? No more tax loopholes, no more companies? Is that honestly what you think?

Hmm...in that case I apologise.

PBP are talking about a minimum 12.5% CT, and that would be increased as needs be. Considering our effective rate of CT is 12.4%, they would need to increase that rapidly to balance the books.

On top of that, they don’t seem to comprehend that the €14bn from Apple will not go to Ireland, that will be split between EU member states.

They also want to withdraw R&D funding for Pharma, and replace that with funding for the manufacture of generic drugs. I believe this idea is ill conceived, we cannot compete in this area, standard drug manufacturing is being moved to lower cost bases. Where we thrive is in R&D: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0128/1111363-allergan-mayo-expansion/

They have some lofty goals, but have no real way of funding them. They are not FDI friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

47k is the average full time workers salary

Advertisement