Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Electric Ireland Bill

Options
  • 28-01-2020 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I recently moved and just got my second Electric Ireland bill. 

The bill was a hefty 320 euro.

This seems a lot to me, there are two adults in very small apartment. I have electric heaters in the flat, which are on for about 2-3 hours in the evening, they are new electric heaters (technoterm is the brand). I have a washer-dryer (combo) AAA energy rated. Is something going on why is it so expensive, is there any way to find out. I've lived in another small apartment before it was always half this. The only thing new is the washer dryer.

I know it's hard to investigate with such limited info, but I'd love to know why it's so high.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Kurn wrote: »
    Hi there,

I recently moved and just got my second Electric Ireland bill. 

The bill was a hefty 320 euro.

This seems a lot to me, there are two adults in very small apartment. I have electric heaters in the flat, which are on for about 2-3 hours in the evening, they are new electric heaters (technoterm is the brand). I have a washer-dryer (combo) AAA energy rated. Is something going on why is it so expensive, is there any way to find out. I've lived in another small apartment before it was always half this. The only thing new is the washer dryer.

I know it's hard to investigate with such limited info, but I'd love to know why it's so high.
    Did you take meter readings and submit them when moving in and each month subsequently ? . This is the only true way to monitor your energy usage. Electric heating can use alot of electricity, and so can the washer dryer, if you can find the book that came with the washer dryer or find it online they can sometimes give an estimated energy use per load. 

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Hi I've attached a screenshot of the heating usage in the living room. How would I calculate the cost for the month?

Is this above average?

Is it possible to have someone examine the meter to make sure it has not been tampered with or has a fault? I was looking at past bills and it was always about 150? Seems to be massive since I moved to this location, I'm not home until late in the evening so I can't imagine the cause. I expected an increase from using the washer at weekends, but not this amount.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Kurn,

If you private message me the Electric Ireland account number, name, address, telephone number on the account, and state for GDPR (Data Protection) that you are the account-holder, we can then check the meter-reading history for you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Una

Hi Kurn,

If you private message me the Electric Ireland account number, name, address, telephone number on the account, and state for GDPR (Data Protection) that you are the account-holder, we can then check the meter-reading history for you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Una
    Thanks, Una, I spoke to someone on chat having supplied the above, and he said it was high due to high usage, which I already know. He asked me to turn everything off wait 20 minutes and try each appliance to try to figure it out which would be a fun day... I was hoping to get someone to inspect the unit, as it's not in the flat, its in a communal area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Kurn,

Thanks for confirming.

If consumption is unusually high, this is likely something to do with the internal electrics of the property, which does not relate to the billing company. We can just advise to carry out those tests, or if renting, to notify the property owner. And if you are the owner of the property, to contact an electrician. There could be a wiring issue.

If the above checks do not reveal anything, the customer can request a meter check by ESB Networks. This is arranged through the customer's billing company. The above internal checks on the property's electrics should be carried out thoroughly first though, as a meter issue is highly unusual, and if ESB Networks check the meter and there is no issue with it, there is a call-out fee.

We hope you can identify the source that is causing the meter to work for more than what you are aware is being used.

If it comes to it that you need to log a meter check request, telephone Electric Ireland Customer Service on 1850 372 372 to arrange this for you.

Kind regards,
    Una

Advertisement