Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Best Song of the 70s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The Eagles - Hotel California v David Bowie - Space Oddity

Hotel California

Once again, because it's awesome and Bowie is sh1te.
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody v Queen - Don't Stop Me Now

Like picking between children.

Gonna give my nomination a vote though.

Don't Stop Me Now, cos it's fun.

Rhapsody is a masterpiece but lacks the fun factor (like some of our voters :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

David Bowie - Space Oddity ; an actual quality song and the best left in the competition, anything is better than Hotel California though, which is just dull and dreary.

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now ; the more enjoyable of the two songs, Rhapsody is good but far too overrated and needs to be knocked off its pedestal.

Hotel California - One of my all time favourites

Bohemian Rhapsody - Better than Don't Stop Me Now (although I am grateful it knocked out Fleetwood Mac)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

David Bowie - Space Oddity
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Reason :: both tunes were completely groundbreaking in their own right and either song would be a worthy winner of the greatest 70's song contest.

How cool would it be to have a final of those 2 acts, especially when they collaborated on another brilliant song in Under Pressure

Necro wrote: »
    Hotel California

Once again, because it's awesome and Bowie is sh1te.

Like picking between children.

Gonna give my nomination a vote though.

Don't Stop Me Now, cos it's fun.

Rhapsody is a masterpiece but lacks the fun factor (like some of our voters :P )

Bohemian Rhapsody lacks FUN???

How many Fat Frogs have you had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SEMI FINAL 1
    The Eagles - Hotel California. I've never really been a fan of Space Oddity and Heroes is the Bowie song that should be here.

SEMI FINAL 2
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody. Don't Stop Me Now is one of those Queen songs that's "all right", but they have so many better ones, including Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The Eagles, Hotel California- perfect driving song and always reminds me of the Summer

Queen - don't really mind which one but Bohemian Rhapsody is the better song. Therefore vote for Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Bowie and Bohemian.
    Bowie because Bowie helped shape the 70's in a way that the Eagles did not, I had to look up some other Eagles songs and I couldn't name one of their members. Life in the fast lane and Desperado being two that I would recognise but again in no way did their addition to the 70' s playlist change or mold it. Oh, Don Henley was in the Eagles.

Queen v Queen makes it a simple song choice and Bohemian Rhapsody is their Magnum Opus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

1. Hotel California - I like both but to me Space Oddity is the 60s and for that reason shouldn’t be in the final.

2. Bohemian Rhapsody - Just a great, great song. A mishmash of all sorts that somehow works epically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Sf2 bohemian rhapsody. while don't stop me now is brilliant, bohemian rhapsody just has it all, an all round classic of a tune that can cant help but change your mood listening to it

• Advertisement

Hotel California - i never get bored listening to it.

Bohemian rhapsody - worthy of a final place. It decking brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Space Oddity as I find Hotel California a bit depressing and repetitive.

Queen are awesome. I would have historically said Rhapsody almost instinctively but the crescendo in Don’t Stop Me Now is so good that it feels like a release. Also, the Cadbury’s Dairy Milk ad at the airport with all the little vehicles was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Space Oddity
    Bohemian Rhapsody

Both against decent songs, however both are more than just songs. They created something so unique, so incredible. Sure they're overplayed, but they're overplayed because sometimes nothing else can do what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

SF1 Bowie, just iconic
    SF2 Bohemuan Rhapsody again iconic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Semi- Final 1: Eagles - Hotel California 7 - 10 David Bowie - Space Oddity

Semi - Final 2: Bohemian Rhapsody 12
    - 6 Don't Stop Me Now

The Final is coming up shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

FINAL : Boardsies Song of the 70s

It's no great surprise to see either of these acts in the final. Like the semi finals there is no quota. Voting is opening until 8pm this evening. Give a reason with your vote for your vote to count.

David Bowie - Space Oddity v Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

v

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Queen - my nomination (and that of many others I'm sure) - never heard anything like it when I heard it first in 2000 (I grew up on a diet of rebel music and Daniel O'Donnell so hated music until my teens)

Overplayed undoubtedly but still an amazing song

I do like Space Oddity too though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Queen.

Cos I think Bowie is horrifically over-rated as an act mainly.

But also because Rhapsody is just a masterpiece, one of my fave songs of all time.

two very deserving finalists.

my vote is to David Bowie, space oddity.
    heard this when I was very young, loved it immediately.
    To me, it is just a better song.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Gonna go for Queen, but its a toss up. Freddie's voice is just fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Not my favourite Queen song - not even sure it's fair to call it a song. More of a "piece". But it's excellent, and has so much going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

So I've been giving Bohemian Rhapsody a bit of s**t throughout the competition, mostly because I had to study it for the Leaving Cert back in the day and had to listen to it so much I just became numb to it, but also partly because I wanted to see some of the songs it was up against progress more, and it was always easier to say Rhapsody was overrated in the hopes people would allow it to be voted out even though I suspected it would be here all along. Listening back to it fully now though, there's no denying it's a masterpiece and even though I still think it's quite overrated it definitely deserves its spot here, even if it wouldn't be my number 1 choice as a finalist.

I do really like Space Oddity, again there were better songs knocked out along the way that I'd rather see here, but its a solid contender. My problem with it however, is that it was originally released in 1969 and this is a '70s competition. If this was a '60s competition it would stand a good chance of getting my vote here, but its not and even thought it earned its place in the comp on a technicality, I'm struggling with the idea of voting a '60s song as a '70s winner.

Great comp rainbowtrout, cheers for running it. Some insane choices along the way and would have many other songs here in place of both of these, but we have to work with what we're given so...

My winner is...

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Bohemian Rhapsody. Genuinely great song and Queen > Bowie.

Space Oddity.

Not my favourite Bowie track but still a great rune. Inventive and hugely influential.

I've never liked Bohemian Rhapsody, it's overrated, overplayed and indulgent. Queen's best moments were mainly in the 80's imo. Above all else, Bohemian Rhapsody is such a predictable and dull winner for this contest. A real anti-climax.

Lads, where are ye hearing all these overplayed songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Lads, where are ye hearing all these overplayed songs?

On their playlists probably.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen.
    I didn't nominate it because I thought it was too obvious a choice and I was sure others would have nominated it. But it's obvious for a reason, it's a certifiable classic. I could vote for it here simply because Space Oddity isn't my favourite Bowie song, but that would be downplaying just how good Bohemian Rhapsody is.

tumblr_okfcrf72q71u501aoo1_400.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Bowie and space oddity, would anyone sing Bohemian Rhapsody from a space station.....ever?

Two deserving finalists.

I’m going to choose Bohemian Rhapsody for its headbangerbility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Not surprised with this final, but my vote goes to queen.

I said in the last round that Bowie was vastly overrated, I think I was harsh and would like to retract that comment. However, I havent listened to enough of Bowie, something I would like to change after this comp, to vote for him.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a great song, strangely enough I never heard it until Freddy Mercury died. Knew all their 80s hits before that. It has so much going on though, a very deserving winner here and one of my noms.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Advertisement