Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Best Song of the 70s - Live Thread

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'd be happy to run a 60s one if there was interest.... unless somebody else would like to do it.

Could you place a rule please, no beatles or elvis allowed? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Necro wrote: »
    Go for it RT :)

I'll have to do some serious research to find 10 decent 60s songs but will endeavour to do so :D

I suspect the Beatles might feature heavily in this competition... but couldn't point at a specific song that would stand out as much as Bohemian Rhapsody.

Deserving winner.
    Thanks for running rainbowtrout

Here was my nominations

The undertones... Teenage kicks.. 1978
    Talking heads... Psycho killer... 1977
    Iggy pop..... Lust for life..... 1977
    The doors..... Roadhouse blues... 1970
    Buzzcocks..... Ever fallen in love..... 1978
    Aerosmith..... Dream on..... 1973
    The runaways..... Cherry bomb..... 1976
    The kinks..... Lola...... 1970
    Ram Jam..... Black Betty..... 1977
    T-Rex..... Children of the revolution..1972

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This is bullsh1t. Hotel California is by far the best song of the 70s and one of the best of all time. Where did it even finish I can’t be arsed reading back through the pages??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is bullsh1t. Hotel California is by far the best song of the 70s and one of the best of all time. Where did it even finish I can’t be arsed reading back through the pages??

It got knocked out in the semi finals by Space Oddity.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Could you place a rule please, no beatles or elvis allowed? :)

I think that would lead to mutiny. I think most posters limit themselves anyway when nominating. Personally I'm not a big fan of elvis and he wouldn't feature in my 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Surprised Bohemian Rhapsody was only nominated once or twice. I nominated it and would find it highly amusing if I was the only one who nominated the winner when I struggled to even pull together a list of 70s songs (had to take 2 out after nominating them and they didn't qualify)

So anyone up for a 60s competition?

Up for it but need to question the "charts" rule - can we submit something that was released as a single but didn't necessarily have commercial chart success? Otherwise very influential bands like The Velvet Underground and The Stooges would be out of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'd be happy to run a 60s one if there was interest.... unless somebody else would like to do it.

I'd love a 60s competition, and would probably struggle to narrow it down to ten. The Noughties I struggled thinking of contenders for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Great competition. I missed out on the later stages but it was fun to read. I liked all the semi-finalists except for Don’t Stop Me Now which irritates me!

Bohemian Rhapsody is a great song. That said, there are other songs by Queen I would have preferred, and I might have picked Space Oddity- not sure, tough choice.

It is interesting the ones that no-one nominated: other songs by 10cc, ANY songs by Hot Chocolate, Mud (Tiger Feet for example), other songs by various members of The Osmond family (I nominated Crazy Horses by The Osmonds and that was the only one!), more soul music, more Earth Wind & Fire, La Freak by Chic, more David Bowie, The Stranglers, The Jam and Do What You Wanna Do by Eddie & The Hot Rods.

• Advertisement

Up for it but need to question the "charts" rule - can we submit something that was released as a single but didn't necessarily have commercial chart success? Otherwise very influential bands like The Velvet Underground and The Stooges would be out of the running.

Personally I'm fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just back home to see a really worthy winner in this competition!!

Rainbowtrout, thank you very much once again, you were an excellent organiser

My 10 nominations were as follows:

David Bowie-Life On Mars
    Abba-Waterloo
    Kraftwerk-Autobahn
    Queen-Somebody To Love
    Jean Michel Jarre-Oxygene 4
    Kate Bush-Wuthering Heights
    The B-52's-Rock Lobster
    AC/DC-Highway To Hell
    Gary Numan/Tubeway Army-Are Friends Electric
    Gary Numan-Cars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Sake. I missed this thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Another major omission was Rod Stewart. He had a tonne of hits in the 1970s.

These were my nominations:
    Crazy Horses by The Osmonds
    Roll Over Lay Down by Status Quo
    Hold Your Head High by Argent
    My Forbidden Lover by Chic
    London Calling by The Clash
    Heroes by David Bowie
    Take Me to The River by Talking Heads
    Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) by Edison Lighthouse
    Young Hearts Run Free by Candy Staton
    One of These Nights by The Eagles

Most of them were only nominated by me!

One song that I meant to nominate and then forgot about was Mary of the Fourth Form by The Boomtown Rats!

Advertisement