Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Areas of Conservation

• 28-01-2020 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭

Are you allowed to shoot in SACs?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Are you allowed to shoot in SACs?

Can you elaborate a little on the question? Because I think the answer is it depends.

For example, depending on the SAC certain species may be hunted/huntable with firearms under license. I think it will depend on the SAC and the conservation plan in place there. Not an expert though so more detail might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm tending to agree with Vegeta post and have tried via national websites to decipher the enigma of conservation sites.
    I think there are areas that would come under conservation regards building, farming, drainage etc, etc but would allow for hunting or other activities. For example the Curragh Plains, sheep grazing is an essential part of the make up of the area, remove the sheep and the eco system would change, but the Army are still allowed to train on it.
    Close to me is a esturay, there are areas of conservation but hunting is permitted under the Foreshore licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I'm tending to agree with Vegeta post and have tried via national websites to decipher the enigma of conservation sites.
    I think there are areas that would come under conservation regards building, farming, drainage etc, etc but would allow for hunting or other activities. For example the Curragh Plains, sheep grazing is an essential part of the make up of the area, remove the sheep and the eco system would change, but the Army are still allowed to train on it.
    Close to me is a esturay, there are areas of conservation but hunting is permitted under the Foreshore licence.

There have been people shooting both rifles and shotguns in an area close to me which is a forestry owned by Coilte in an SAC. Never heard anyone shooting in there before.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Vegeta is right. An SAC is not a nature reserve, it all depends on the specifics of the SAC.

If for example certain trees in an SAC can’t be felled or removed because of a type of lichen growing on them it will have very little effect on shooting in the area as long as you have the necessary land owner’s permission etc etc.

You can’t shoot red deer in Kerry. Outside the National Park which is a nature reserve you can hunt all other deer species during the open season or go pheasant or duck or pigeon shooting to your heart’s content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

There have been people shooting both rifles and shotguns in an area close to me which is a forestry owned by Coilte in an SAC. Never heard anyone shooting in there before.

And how is this negatively affecting you ? What is your issue or problem ?
    Have you contacted Coillte ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Never, as is in 'over the year's' or in more recent times as in weeks and months.
    You may or may not be aware that Coilte sell the hunting rights (deer and birds) to some of thier forestry / woods. Previously licences may not have been in situ on those woods or had not been purchased / exercised before now. They also manage the deer population within these areas internaly themselves when required. Deer altough protected under the Wildlife Act are a pest under certain circumstances, especially to forestry areas.
    Some woods are in more sensitive areas and under Coilte rules require a more specific level of hunter qualification, wheather this is to do with high amenity or special conservation I'm not sure.
    With the seasons coming to a close soon and the mild weather you may be hearing activity that has been occuring at other times, but you were not aware of it. Normaly around this time of the year, I myself, would be hunting the shorter days during the week as well as the weekends. Otherwise weekend shooting is generally restricted to between the hours of first light and 11.00hrs and the general public (general / uninitiated) are no wiser.

IMO one of biggest threats to the country side, especially around the mountains and forestry, are the unregulated motor cross riders..... but thats a rant for another day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It’s quite possible that someone or a club has recently acquired a lease on the sporting rights on that patch of forestry or that Coilte is carrying out some pest/population control on certain animals as well.

SAC’s don’t necessarily relate to all fauna or any fauna at all. Some are flora related or seek to protect a specific habitat like intact raised bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Your best bet is to email - nature.conservation@ahg.gov.ie and the national parks and then at least you have it in writing from them in case someone tries to tell you otherwise.

I emailed a couple of years ago about the one near me and they told me it was only to stop turf cutting.

Advertisement