Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird problem

Options
  • 28-01-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. Looking for recommendations on a person who can figure out where birds are coming into my apartment!

Had a couple during the summer and thought it was window related but now that its winter ive had no windows open and we've had 2 in the past 5 days!
    We also thought it was where the water pipes come in from the ceiling as we know the little buggers are in the soffit. So we got some expanding foam to block it up (sat just gone) and i came home there to another little fcker.
    Just cant figure out where they are coming in from.
    Any recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Looking for recommendations on a person who can figure out where birds are coming into my apartment!

Had a couple during the summer and thought it was window related but now that its winter ive had no windows open and we've had 2 in the past 5 days!
    We also thought it was where the water pipes come in from the ceiling as we know the little buggers are in the soffit. So we got some expanding foam to block it up (sat just gone) and i came home there to another little fcker.

Where is your apartment situated floor wise? (in other words does it have a roof?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yes it has a roof. Im aware they are probably living in the eaves up there. But it doesn't explain how they are now getting into my sitting room.
    Just looking for recommendations for like a pest control person or something. Ive blocked up everything i can see and they are still getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Yes it has a roof. Im aware they are probably living in the eaves up there. But it doesn't explain how they are now getting into my sitting room.
    Just looking for recommendations for like a pest control person or something. Ive blocked up everything i can see and they are still getting in

Air vent maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is it a combined sitting room / kitchen? The extraction fan vent over the cooker maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Lucky you. I can never get birds to come into my apartment.

(I'll get my coat).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

200 percent it's starlings,under the tiles/ slates whatever,mortar chipped away

No chimney or fireplace?

No chimney or fireplace?

I sorted out a few olderr houses last summer, blocked up ,repaired old slates etc,on an apartment you'd need to actually spot them in the morning,or late afternoon,sort it or by spring you're in for a noisy time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yeah they seem to appear when we've gone to work and unfortunately i always come home first and have to deal with them.

I've blocked the chimney for now. Its not been cleaned since our last fire a few weeks ago(dont judge :D) and i would have thought the birds would disturb the ash and knock down the guard..it looks most likely like the chimney i just cant get how they can fall down and not knock the guard.
    If i get another one whilst the chimney is blocked i shall have to get someone to come in and look.
    I just dont know who i would call...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Dont know why this just came into my head but I miss spiders nightclub;)

• Advertisement

Yeah they seem to appear when we've gone to work and unfortunately i always come home first and have to deal with them.

I've blocked the chimney for now. Its not been cleaned since our last fire a few weeks ago(dont judge :D) and i would have thought the birds would disturb the ash and knock down the guard..it looks most likely like the chimney i just cant get how they can fall down and not knock the guard.
    If i get another one whilst the chimney is blocked i shall have to get someone to come in and look.
    I just dont know who i would call...

Had a Finch come down our chimney despite it being covered up too( whilst cleaning chimney I must have moved chimney cowl) destroyed the shagging living room with soot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What type of bird?

Could be getting into the eaves and then wriggling its way through a gap. They can fit through very small spaces.

Had one come down the old chimney into an old fireplace once... cue massive rescue mission. We also had a wren fly into the kitchen, go behind a cupboard and get completely stuck in a spiders web. Had to demolish half the kitchen to get him out.

The budgie was dumbstruck at this other bird.

Advertisement