Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occasional Wheelie Rubbish Bin pick up

Options
  • 28-01-2020 12:42pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We rarely put the bin out, maybe 4 times a year so does not make financial sense to sign up to regular collections.
    Was with one crowd from occasional collections but they would fly by the house and we'd be left a fortnight with overflowing bin so we ditched them.

There was a lad called Adrian who we used and he would come along with a day or twos notice and empty the bin, suited us perfect.

He is now no longer doing this, does anyone know anyone providing this service?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

While I can't answer your question Slave1 , I'd be interested to understand who are the main operators in Athlone & Peoples experience with them. Any no go service providers to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Allied do PAYG/Topup collections.

https://www.alliedrecycling.ie/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks, I was with Allied previously and two issues, firstly they would fly by the house and the bin as they were in such a rush and miss the bin and it would not be collected, we would need to use it for another fortnight and it would go over the 40kg and then they would point blankly refuse to tip it, so their failure to collect and my inability to weigh the bin led me away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Do Mulleadys service your area?
    https://mulleadys.com/household.html

With them 10 years now no issues we rarely put out our bin's, black just twice last year and the blue 4 times. I keep cardboard and large items and go to civic centre once or twice a year.

Pretty reasonable for €13.5 for waste and €6.50 recycling pay per lift. Just keep a prepay account topped up. They did bring in a 92c per week last year so I do have just under an extra €50 a year to pay now. Still the cheapest option for us I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭elperello

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/RecyclingCentreFees2019A4.pdf

Athlone Civic Amenity Site take 12kg black sacks of waste for €4.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Do Mulleadys service your area?
    https://mulleadys.com/household.html

With them 10 years now no issues we rarely put out our bin's, black just twice last year and the blue 4 times. I keep cardboard and large items and go to civic centre once or twice a year.

Pretty reasonable for €13.5 for waste and €6.50 recycling pay per lift. Just keep a prepay account topped up. They did bring in a 92c per week last year so I do have just under an extra €50 a year to pay now. Still the cheapest option for us I think.

Thanks, we do our own recycling at civic centre so the standing charge is not for me with about 4 lifts a year

elperello wrote: »
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/RecyclingCentreFees2019A4.pdf

Athlone Civic Amenity Site take 12kg black sacks of waste for €4.

Might just take it on the chin and do that, bag the crap and civic centre it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

slave1 wrote: »
    Thanks, we do our own recycling at civic centre so the standing charge is not for me with about 4 lifts a year

It mightn't cost that much more standing charge isn't that much compared to some. We had 158kg between our two lifts last year so that would have cost us 0.92*52+13.5*2= €74.84 for the year. Would have taken at least 14 bags if each was just under 12kg mark so min €48 for year probably more as a lot of bags would weight less. Plus savings of not having to drive to civic centre with smelly bags of waste and having to store them. Plus wasting plastic bags.

If Mulleadys offered the brown bin in my area the black would probably only go out once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I find that a composter is a great help in reducing waste volume.
    An added bonus is the lovely compost for the garden.

Advertisement